Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Been without internet in my new apartment for the past two weeks, finally got my activation date today. Waiting for technicians on appointments made four weeks prior is loving unsettling.

If the dude doesn't come by 1600, I'm hosed.

If he does come, however, I'm finally back on a 50mbit vdsl line after trundling around at 2003-tier internet for the past 8 months. Might grab battletech if it all works out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm still having a blast with Stellaris so I'm going to hold out on Battletech until I'm tired of it. This will let them fix all the bugs and issues that streamers were happening as a bonus.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Battletech is pretty loving good, my dudes.

Just note that it will be literally unplayable if it's not installed on an SSD. Or at least, it was for me.

Last Battletech games I put serious time into was MW4 and the expansions. Would I like the new one?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Last Battletech games I put serious time into was MW4 and the expansions. Would I like the new one?

Well, they’re completely different genres for one…

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

This is more of an isometric view turn based combat / strategy game a la the developers recent Shadowrun and Shadowrun Hong Kong (except with a LOT more going on with regards to stats/etc). It's not a first person Sim like all the old Mechwarrior games were.

And I wouldn't hold out a lot of hope for Mechwarrior 5 either, given the developer for that one.

That said, check out the intro video and maybe some gameplay from the first few missions and see what you think.

It works for me but YMMV.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Well, they’re completely different genres for one…

Now I'm sad

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

But it's got a hell of a story and quality cinematic art / music which Harebrained Games is known for

Also gonna say the game has a pretty steep learning curve for someone who isn't used to this type of game, like me.

My first two missions after the tutorial I had two mechwarriors KIA and my commander out of the fight for 108 days due to the way the enemy will just focus fire on whatever mech is slightly more damaged than the rest.

I've started upgrading to heavier mechs and upgrading piloting skill points and meleeing the gently caress out of enemies. Now if only I could get more than a single PPC between all my mechs I'd be doing even better.

I did get an AC20 last night but I had to get to sleep before I got a chance to use it. I hear it's just magical :allears:

Riot Carol Danvers fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 25, 2018

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Vasudus posted:

I'm still having a blast with Stellaris so I'm going to hold out on Battletech until I'm tired of it. This will let them fix all the bugs and issues that streamers were happening as a bonus.

I ended up rage-quitting when the AI endgame crisis popped up and four loving systems cracked open in my borders spewing out non-stop 200k+ fleets.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

You can find trial versions of it in places were linux distros can be found.

The combat is kind of like xcom, but you only get 1 move phase after you move you have to suck it up if you hosed up.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

How similar is it to the old school tabletop Battletech?

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

ded posted:

The combat is kind of like xcom, but you only get 1 move phase after you move you have to suck it up if you hosed up.

It took me a few turns to figure out that once you’ve selected a mech and moved it you have to take that mech’s action before you can select another mech.

So no moving all your dudes and then opening fire like in XCOM.

Similarly, if you have different mechs in different activation phases you can’t switch between them, and if you accidentally select a mech instead of deferring it’s turn you HAVE to take that turn.

It’s pretty finicky and not well explained, but I’m having fun with it ~3 hours in.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:catstare: ponies

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
MODS???

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

You can fix this... You have the power to fix this, do what you know is right.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

It took me a few turns to figure out that once you’ve selected a mech and moved it you have to take that mech’s action before you can select another mech.

So no moving all your dudes and then opening fire like in XCOM.

Similarly, if you have different mechs in different activation phases you can’t switch between them, and if you accidentally select a mech instead of deferring it’s turn you HAVE to take that turn.

It’s pretty finicky and not well explained, but I’m having fun with it ~3 hours in.

If you accidentally select a mech you hit escape and it cancels any actions as long as you haven't clicked to perform them

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

won't even shell out five bucks to change it, for shame

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

You should give him an av of your selection, not a good one but at least not a pony one, though on the other hand, lowtaxes poor neckbones, this dude doesn't care about them.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Someone in auspol gave me this poo poo.

Shim changed it for me last time cos he’s a good dude.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm playing around with the new 2.0 Stellaris poo poo in my second game. I made a robot assimilation empire that gets extra unity, extra leadership levels, and extra research. Then they have their organic slave race that gets minerals, energy, and rapid breeding. So I just build my super robotmans on unity/research buildings and the cyborg ones grow on everything else. My leaders all have a level cap of 10 and never die of old age, and I can colonize on any world. It's pretty neato.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude McAwesome posted:

Someone in auspol gave me this poo poo.

Politics threads are like having sex at a herpes convention, you're gonna catch something. Spend the 5 bucks for lowtax's neckbones and don't post in there lol.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dude McAwesome posted:

You can't shove your dick in a beehive twice and ask for help both times.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Please don't kinkshame.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I'm going to take a running start into Total War

I have Shogun 2 and Rome 2 from steam sales, which should I go with?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bit rich coming from an american

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Shogun 2. I was even playing it earlier this year. Lots of good mods if you want.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Shogun 2. I was even playing it earlier this year. Lots of good mods if you want.

Yeah this. Even more so if you have Fall of the Samurai.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Post them shits, I got all the DLC for that one anyways

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Of the top of my head I want to say the Darth mod? I'd that's what it's called it's an overhaul of balance. I also got a naval cannon unit you can direct fire in battle with hilarious results.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

I eventually bought Divinity Original Sin 2 on this thread’s recommendation. It’s a good game, very hard though. And the level of micromanagement is a bit tedious. Still enjoying it though.

Are there any quality of life mods anyone can recommend? I’m not interested in changing the game around too much, just making it a bit less micro-managey.

orange juche posted:

Politics threads are like having sex at a herpes convention, you're gonna catch something. Spend the 5 bucks for lowtax's neckbones and don't post in there lol.

That’s really good advice.

But like every person that comes into GiP and asks about advice on enlisting, I’m not gonna listen to it.

At this point I feel like changing it is just going to bring more changes on, so I’m kinda hosed each way.

Also, I’m probably gonna keep loving beehives. And ask for help yet again.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Shogun 2 is probably a bit better.

And at the moment, total warhammer is probably the best total war since it gets around the problems of 1000 different spear dudes.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Man I finally got my first heavy in battletech, an orion.

It's really satisfying to have glitch just disintegrate a loving dumbass locust or something

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm gonna dig out my Mechwarrior 4 and Mercs discs when I get home.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
every time u sell a uziel I want u to think of me and the mc hammer song "pray" tia

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
also i think its available freeware or something weird now to do with megamek if you look, nothing shady and maybe it has more poo poo. I downloaded it all a year a two ago with no problems.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mye1aCskFcM

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man, I haven't actually played the mission yet, but it is cool as poo poo that GR Wildlands has a mission where you fight the Predator. That fuckin owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xizJZeGfE34

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
What in the gently caress is with the Battletech load times. I have an obscenely good system with an M2 SSD.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
yeah its uhhh suboptimal to say the least. wild guess is unity

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mods change my name posted:

every time u sell a uziel I want u to think of me and the mc hammer song "pray" tia

Prefer Daishi. Or the one true uber mech: the Madcat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

Vasudus posted:

What in the gently caress is with the Battletech load times. I have an obscenely good system with an M2 SSD.

Yeah it's oddly inconsistent between computer configurations. I have next to no load time since I put it on my ssd and mine is 3 years old at this point.