Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
So I got the Lenovo Explorer in today, was setting it up and then realized my PC doesn't have bluetooth. So go me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

CitizenKain posted:

So I got the Lenovo Explorer in today, was setting it up and then realized my PC doesn't have bluetooth. So go me.

Obvious answer is to buy a bluetooth usb dongle.

I just bought a rift after previously owning and selling a vive. Looking forward to checking out the state of vr games again with a different device.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost

Hamelekim posted:

Obvious answer is to buy a bluetooth usb dongle.

I just bought a rift after previously owning and selling a vive. Looking forward to checking out the state of vr games again with a different device.

Yea, one is on the way.

In the meantime, I played some Elite: Dangerous. Game still isn't all that much fun, but goddamn is it amazing in VR.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

CitizenKain posted:

Yea, one is on the way.

In the meantime, I played some Elite: Dangerous. Game still isn't all that much fun, but goddamn is it amazing in VR.

Yeah it was nice on the Vive, but blurry. Supposed to be better with the rift. I might dive back into it again. I put something like 300 hours total into the game, outside of VR, so pretty burned out with it, but flying inside in VR is an amazing feeling. Especially on a planets surface.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Macintosh HD posted:

Woah how did you get IL-2 to work? I heard it has a problem with all WMR devices due to the way IL-2 handles the IPD stuff. I have an WMR coming tonight so I’m super curious.

I hosed around with this thingy: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/30556-3dmigoto-mod-for-vr/

Hopefully the devs will make a proper fix at some point, but in the meantime the thread has tips on which settings to tweak to improve things with WMR.

Just drove a few laps around the Nordschleife in Project Cars. I can't wait to show my dad this stuff.

Racket Fury continues to own. I'm not good enough at table tennis to know how realistic its physics are, but I can say that the sim mode feels really loving nice, and the arcade mode relaxes things just enough that I can pretend I'm good.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

Nap Ghost
Found out my laptop with a MX150 will play games ok, dicked around with a few things which seemed alright. Only game that really didn't feel right was Gorn. I figure I'll refund that one for something like H3VR.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

CitizenKain posted:

Found out my laptop with a MX150 will play games ok, dicked around with a few things which seemed alright. Only game that really didn't feel right was Gorn. I figure I'll refund that one for something like H3VR.

Install advanced settings
Then you can subsample. =D

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Talos Principle VR is fantastic and you all should play it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Talos Principle VR is fantastic and you all should play it.

Yes, it's only VR game I've put serious time into. Worth experiencing.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Warbird posted:

Did Stomefox change his mind about supporting VRTK by chance? I keep meaning to get around to fooling with VR dev and I enjoyed poking at it in the past.

Yes, he/she was going to do it full time and set up a patron to do so. I'm personally furious at Unity (also secondarily a bit at Oculus/HTC/Valve) for not supporting it as it was a giant commercial for Unity and VR and it would make sense for them to do this work internally. Literally, all they had to do was take two thousand dollars a month, (which is nothing in corporate terms) internally list it as marketing and support the patron. No one supported the patron so he gave up doing it full time. It's open source and now just a hobby, but still accepting pull requests.

Basically, there is no significant new work but everything still works and will be updated but it no longer is a lively project with cool new features all the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finished Lone Echo earlier today, and it was so gooood :allears:.

My only complaint is it really needed a harder "THIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN" than an off-the-cuff "get your poo poo done first" remark from Liv when you go to activate the sensor. And could really benefit from a post-game option to go back for missed Cube-Sats/general exploration.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
Anyone able to weigh in on Skyrim VR and/or Fallout 4 VR?

The appeal of playing a full narrative in VR really appeals to me. I've never completed either game in 2D. I've heard that each of them have baffling design choices (for example, Skyrim doesn't care how you swing your motion controller, it's still just a "weak" swing versus a "strong" one). But... I've also heard there's lots of mods so my guess is some of these things have been solved by the community.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
I'd say Skyrim is just a better game (even though I'm not a fallout snob), and its vr implementation is significantly better. Also, imo, the fantasy setting is more fun to get immersed in and more visually impressive in vr than post-apocalyptic. Swords and bows work better with motion controls than guns with scopes, though pistols are serviceable. If you have a rift you'll have to do some fiddling to make menus usable in fallout and even then they are janky as gently caress. Finally, modding seems better supported by Skyrim vr than fallout. If you're relatively ambivalent and only want to get one, Skyrim is a no brainer.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today

..btt posted:

If you're relatively ambivalent and only want to get one, Skyrim is a no brainer.

Thanks. This is pretty much where I'm at. As far as setting, either one is fine. Fallout is more fun and interesting, but Skyrim is probably more realized.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Everything about Skyrim is more polished as a VR game and a lot less technically janky.

But

the pistol gunplay in FO4 is fantastic fun, a full open world coupled with true 3D vision and a fully aimable gun gets you a long way. Serious, when you walk down a bunker corridor, a ghoul comes crawling out of a hole in the wall and instead of stopping and aiming your whole character viewpoint at the creature, you look slightly to one side while still walking forward, cross your gun hand across your body and BLAM BLAM without stopping - it really cements you as being in the virtual environment.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Finished Lone Echo earlier today, and it was so gooood :allears:.

My only complaint is it really needed a harder "THIS IS THE POINT OF NO RETURN" than an off-the-cuff "get your poo poo done first" remark from Liv when you go to activate the sensor. And could really benefit from a post-game option to go back for missed Cube-Sats/general exploration.

Yeah getting past that point unexpectedly was part of the reason I played the game over (the other part was just I loved it and wanted to go through it again). There was some really cool info in the later cube sat log entries I never got to the first time, and I missed the optional satellites as well as the hidden little hand rocket jet ski booster crazy thing. I wouldn't grab the booster rocket thing though if you have a weak stomach :v: its a wild ride.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

the pistol gunplay in FO4 is fantastic fun, a full open world coupled with true 3D vision and a fully aimable gun gets you a long way.

agreed, I'm playing through FO4VR on a rift. I'm no stranger to messing around with mods so wasn't really phased by the controller setup, ini tweaks & QoL mods being pretty much necessary.

it's fun! I can point to probably a hundred things that could have been implemented better but it's fallout in VR, it's great!

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

I forget if it's been mentioned here. but greenmangaming has Steam keys for SkyrimVR and FalloutVR and a 22% off code currently. GMG22

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been playing a lot of God of War the past couple days and now I really wish I had Kratos' axe for Skyrim VR.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stick100 posted:

Yes, he/she was going to do it full time and set up a patron to do so. I'm personally furious at Unity (also secondarily a bit at Oculus/HTC/Valve) for not supporting it as it was a giant commercial for Unity and VR and it would make sense for them to do this work internally. Literally, all they had to do was take two thousand dollars a month, (which is nothing in corporate terms) internally list it as marketing and support the patron. No one supported the patron so he gave up doing it full time. It's open source and now just a hobby, but still accepting pull requests.

Basically, there is no significant new work but everything still works and will be updated but it no longer is a lively project with cool new features all the time.

Speak of the devil

https://twitter.com/VR_Toolkit/status/989554750390788096

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Ceive posted:

I forget if it's been mentioned here. but greenmangaming has Steam keys for SkyrimVR and FalloutVR and a 22% off code currently. GMG22

Well, I guess that answers whether I'll be playing Skyrim next or waiting for a sale.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh hey, I was about to come post that. I’m super psyched for him!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A SkyrimVR Beta update landed and it has some neat stuff

Bethesda posted:

NEW FEATURES

Map mode:
Added the ability to hover over markers in the local map when using motion controllers
Added quick teleports for left/right/back when using motion controllers with analog sticks in teleport mode
Settings:
Increased the maximum value for the height offset slider
Added a new option, enabled by default, to "Show Hands When Sheathed"
Added option for HMD-relative direct movement instead of controller-relative direct movement. The existing INI setting has been changed to a Pref setting.

BUG FIXES

Fixed a crash on exit
Fixed an issue where the hitbox would not move correctly in room scale
Fixed some stuttering during smooth rotation
Fixed an issue where water would sometimes flicker
Fixed an issue where spell particles on hands and staves would not be rendered correctly
Fixed an issue where the button to unlock dragon shouts was mislabeled on some platforms.
Fixed an issue with incorrect button labels in left handed mode on some platforms
Fixed an issue that allowed melee damage to occur during the initial cart ride
Adjusted bow arrow position when in realistic bow aiming mode
Adjusted physical sneaking to calibrate height only once at the "Press Any Button" screen
Adjusted direct movement to reduce the likelihood of moving backwards unintentionally
Fixed some control issues with dragon riding
Fixed an issue where sometimes there would be multiple models on the loading screen
Fixed an issue where the left/right d-pad favorites could not be selected when using a gamepad
Fixed HMD-relative direct movement when on horseback
Fixed an issue where the controllers would sometimes not display the correct custom SteamVR model
Fixed issues that resulted in incorrect shadow culling, particularly on the edges of the view area Other minor fixes and improvements

Fallout 4 VR also got a beta update adding official support for "additional SteamVR-compatible headsets and motion controllers", as well as some minor unspecified fixes. Reports are the Rift now works fine.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 27, 2018

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

SwissCM posted:

Reports are the Rift now works fine.

Oh man...... I don't want to have to buy Fallout 4 again =[

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SwissCM posted:

A SkyrimVR Beta update landed and it has some neat stuff

Fallout 4 VR also got a beta update adding official support for "additional SteamVR-compatible headsets and motion controllers", as well as some minor unspecified fixes. Reports are the Rift now works fine.

Huh. I might pick up FO4 after Skyrim then if that’s the case. How good do custom weapon mods work with it?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

As long as it doesn't use script extenders or interface/modify menu interfaces in certain ways (particularly in FO4VR), most mods work without issue.Some quirks: SkyrimVR is based on SSE but an older version, not usually a problem though. FO4VR doesn't come with any of the DLC and while you can add it manually, they're a bit broken and though mods help, they don't solve every issue.

My own experience is that FO4VR is more picky about mods. SkyrimVR also appears to be getting a lot more community modding support, there's a VR version of the script extender available already.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 27, 2018

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
I never played FO4, but am considering it now in VR since Bethesda is finally getting their poo poo together.

If my rig can run SkyrimVR fine, will FO4 also run OK? If I understand right they both run off the same engine (though Skyrim's might be a little older)?

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
If you can run Skyrim VR you can run FO4 VR

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

nickhimself posted:

If you can run Skyrim VR you can run FO4 VR

Is that really true? I've heard otherwise, and FO4 is a much more demanding game in flatscreen form.

...I don't know how I feel about FO4 VR. I never thought I'd want to play it again, and I bought a Rift with that in mind, but hm. I lost a solid week to it when it launched and never picked it up again.

Re: Skyrim VR -- Does anyone know how to change the control scheme on Rift? I'd really like to swap A and Right Grip. There's a controller scheme a guy posted on Reddit that I've put in, but it changes a lot of other things and I am completely paralyzed trying to figure out how to do anything now that the onscreen button icons don't match up anymore.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh god FO4VR working on the Rift would be real nice. I had a bunch of fun with it but wrestling with those controls even with the fixes was enough to break my jank tolerating self. The performance is also pretty rotten no matter what but I can tolerate that for the most part.

I found Skyrim to be much more instantly playable, mind, and very easy to come back to (and kind of irresistible now I have ENB and friends playing nicely with it - holy poo poo exploring pitch black dungeons with creepy new ambient sounds is so intense) compared to FO4. Both games have reasons to play but FO4 is a much harder sell. Wish guns were properly two handed.

E: Also neutral hands when weapons are sheathed being something Bethesda had to patch in is so typical of them. It's the single simplest thing and having those hands be replaced with controllers when you're neutral breaks immersion so quickly and thoroughly that it's amazing nobody at the company was like "Hold on, isn't this a bit silly?"

See also: their awful stagger implementation in melee combat. The game is so much better without it, it's not even funny.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 27, 2018

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Taintrunner posted:

Huh. I might pick up FO4 after Skyrim then if that’s the case. How good do custom weapon mods work with it?

Perfectly, they even keep the reload animation, just in your hands.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm surprised VIVE and Oculus haven't released a belt tracker by now. Would really help with full body locomotion.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm surprised VIVE and Oculus haven't released a belt tracker by now. Would really help with full body locomotion.

According to Oculus most people's play area is pretty tiny. The market for a belt tracker would be a small subset of an already niche market.

Also, wasn't Oculus planning on implementing body tracking via computer vision at some point, since the Rift sensors are basically just cameras?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

A belt tracker doesn't really get you any information than the current 3 point tracking we have. It's not like people often have much of an offset between their head and pelvis location while standing up. Now people have used foot trackers to great success. When feet trackers are combined with belt, hands (controllers), and head (HMD) you can get some really convincing reverse IK animation. This has been shown many times.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Stick100 posted:

A belt tracker doesn't really get you any information than the current 3 point tracking we have. It's not like people often have much of an offset between their head and pelvis location while standing up. Now people have used foot trackers to great success. When feet trackers are combined with belt, hands (controllers), and head (HMD) you can get some really convincing reverse IK animation. This has been shown many times.

Leaning. You can’t infer leaning with any remote level of accuracy right now.
It would improve then positional quality of crouching or prone as well.

A belt tracker is a big deal actually.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Songbearer posted:

E: Also neutral hands when weapons are sheathed being something Bethesda had to patch in is so typical of them. It's the single simplest thing and having those hands be replaced with controllers when you're neutral breaks immersion so quickly and thoroughly that it's amazing nobody at the company was like "Hold on, isn't this a bit silly?"

I bet their thought process was something like, "But how will they know when their fists are unsheathed?" Because yes, you have to unsheathe your fists to punch somebody.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
I'm not trying to be difficult, but what practical purpose would you see in non-social VR applications? I can see that would be useful in a social VR application, but for single player, games what would materially be different knowing someone is leaning?

I could see much more value in just tracking one foot so you could kick with a lead foot in an MMA type game.

Edit, dang your fast Ebola.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 27, 2018

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
nevermind. Post is not edit.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Stick100 posted:

I'm not trying to be difficult, but what practical purpose would you see in non-social VR applications? I can see that would be useful in a social VR application, but for single player, games what would materially be different knowing someone is leaning?

I could see much more value in just tracking one foot so you could kick with a lead foot in an MMA type game.

Literally every shooter. It would fix the weird body prone issues in games like onward that cant figure out what way you're laying, etc. and just drags your rear end around.

When you really think about it. It would oddly be huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Literally every shooter. It would fix the weird body prone issues in games like onward that cant figure out what way you're laying, etc. and just drags your rear end around.

When you really think about it. It would oddly be huge.

I was thinking prone, but I couldn't think of many other use cases. As stated crouching would be huge as well.

These are all true but all of those + so much more could be inferred with tracking 2 feet/ankles.