Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

The non-Democratic candidates for the Senate this year are astonishingly insane. Holy poo poo, Grundmann, THAT'S your candidate statement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Aeka might I suggest Joe's Italian on Alessandro? I haven't been there in a literal decade but it was really good when I did go. Good vibe too, far as I can remember.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cup Runneth Over posted:

The non-Democratic candidates for the Senate this year are astonishingly insane. Holy poo poo, Grundmann, THAT'S your candidate statement?

To keep people from having to look it up like I did:

Don J. Grundmann posted:

Don J. Grundmann | NO PARTY PREFERENCE

Fight-the-Power.org

That's it, that's his statement. I think he'll be a winner dot com for sure.

Edit: also for contrast

Ling Ling Shi posted:

Ling Ling Shi | NO PARTY PREFERENCE

Run for God’s Heart and America’s Freedom, challenge 10 giant chaos in economy and economy-related sectors.

Get those 10 chaos emeralds with Ling Ling Shi.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No, that was their statement in 2016. This year's statement is a tirade against transgender people.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cup Runneth Over posted:

No, that was their statement in 2016. This year's statement is a tirade against transgender people.

Ah, ok, I found it now.

Don J. Grundmann posted:

Don J. Grundmann | NO PARTY PREFERENCE

A Campaign for Sanity. There is no such thing as “transgender.” It does not exist. What does exist are broken people who pretend to be the opposite sex and even mutilate themselves in the attempt. In our constitutional Republic we are free to be psychotic as long as we do not hurt ourselves or others but we have no right to lie to children and teach them that this mental, emotional, and spiritual pathology/sickness is normal, natural, or healthy in the slightest possible way. To do so is a very sick attack upon children and a form of child molestation. There is a massive Social Engineering campaign to normalize the soul pathology and social sickness of “transgenderism.” So-called “transgender” children are being used as weapons to attack and destroy normal/healthy children. The objective of these attacks is to warp and then break the moral foundations of increasing numbers of children so that both current and, especially, future generations will be manufactured into psychotics and destroyed. This must be stopped. The children of our state and nation must be protected from this monstrous attack. Please join the developing national campaign to save children from the transgender hysteria and to ban the transgender mutilation of children. Go toTheyAreAttackingTheChildren.org to join the fight to save our children from this war/jihad against them. And please join the Constitution Party—the last and only party in California which will fight to defend our children and families. Chairman—Constitution Party YouTube—USA vs Sodom Inc.
yeah ok good luck with that

also I like

Kevin Mottus posted:

Kevin Mottus | REPUBLICAN

The FCC forced roll out of the new 5G wireless technology and Internet of Things will force a cell tower transmitter in front of every 2–12 homes emitting high density, high frequency wireless microwave Radio Frequency radiation (24Ghz–90Ghz). Wireless radiation has been proven to be harmful and will increase cancer, neurological disease, immune system disorders, and damage fertility near these 5G transmitters (google: 5G Scientist Appeal). Studies have shown for decades that RF Radiation has subthermal biological effects below our current FCC guidelines (google: Naval Medical Research Institute 1972). 1996 Telecommunications Act section 704 has been used to ban you and local governments from even considering your health and safety when placing any cell tower near your home. Why would they ban looking at health effects if there were no health effects? We are allowing the industry controlled FCC to microwave poison our children, families, homes and workplaces (google: microwave sickness webster’s). We must stop the deployment of these deadly 5G cell tower transmitters near our homes (google: press democrat Verizon antennas). Enough is Enough! The wireless companies, CTIA their lobby group, industry captured FCC, Senator Thune must be held responsible for the suffering, disease, and death they have caused from wireless radiation exposure (Google: FCC Captured Agency Harvard). There is a new two party system: Representatives who represent corporate interests and those that represent the public’s interest. I represent the public’s interest and swear to protect the health and well-being of all Californians. Vote Kevin Mottus for Senate
google: 5g ron paul

And of course, Ling Ling Shi still bringin' the chaos two years later

Ling Ling Shi posted:

Ling Ling Shi | NO PARTY PREFERENCE

Run for God’s Heart and America’s Freedom, Challenge 2016 U.S. Presidential Election results: 2016 U.S. Presidential Election should be nullified by the U.S. Supreme Court and U.S. should re-hold 45th U.S. Presidential Election; Challenge 10 giant chaos in U.S. Economy and Economy-Related sectors.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Is the Constitution Party not recognized in CA? Why no party preference yet a push to join a party? Is this another dastardly deed by Sodom Inc?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's not registered, no.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My Assemblyperson is such a loving idiot:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

They finally got the the GSK\EAR....

....dude was a cop and did cop things to evade capture and detection, was fired from being a cop for stealing items used in his attacks, and one of the profiles indicated the person was a cop or in law enforcement. But it was the DNA that got em :rolleyes:

incoherent fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 25, 2018

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Should have raped and killed in uniform on camera. He would be given paid leave and dismissed by a grand jury.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

incoherent posted:

They finally got the the GSK\EAR....

....dude was a cop and did cop things to evade capture and detection, was fired from being a cop for stealing items used in his attacks, and one of the profiles indicated the person was a cop or in law enforcement. But it was the DNA that got em :rolleyes:
Also it was a completely cold case until Patton Oswalt's wife starting digging into it and unearthing all kinds of leads and getting some publicity which led the cops to blow the dust off the case file and which led to today's arrest.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Some interesting new research into Climate Change impacts on the California water cycle: http://weatherwest.com/archives/6252

tldr: It will be worse in all ways.

quote:

We find that the occurrence of both extreme wet and extreme dry events in California—and of rapid transitions between the two—will likely increase with atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations. The rising risk of historically unprecedented precipitation extremes will seriously test California’s existing water storage, distribution, and flood protection infrastructure.

(Nature Climate Change article for those with access: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41558-018-0140-y)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

Also it was a completely cold case until Patton Oswalt's wife starting digging into it and unearthing all kinds of leads and getting some publicity which led the cops to blow the dust off the case file and which led to today's arrest.

She connected the rapes to the murders right?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

FMguru posted:

Her book helped a lot and it was pretty lovely of the cops saying the book did nothing to help at the press conference.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Trabisnikof posted:

Some interesting new research into Climate Change impacts on the California water cycle: http://weatherwest.com/archives/6252

tldr: It will be worse in all ways.
Thats wild. Is it basically that:
We're going to have to radically readjust our usage of water to maximize during droughts (lets start a Lawn Tax if youre not in, like, Monterey Bay and poo poo), while developing infrastructure to mitigate collection capacity shortcomings and flooding potential during the weird 2-3 days when it looks like El Nino is dumping a lake on us????

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

turn san bernardino into a reservoir?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grand Prize Winner posted:

turn san bernardino into a reservoir?

And nothing of value was lost.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FilthyImp posted:

(lets start a Lawn Tax if youre not in, like, Monterey Bay and poo poo)

Why? Monterey Bay is well-to-do. Taxing the poors again, are we?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It's also near a body of water and was pretty drat misty when I went (granted, rhat wasnt in the middle of a heatwave or summer).

Honestly we have no goddamn business having giant lush lawns in SoCal.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Not all of the Monterey Bay area is wealthy. There's a lot of working class people in nearby towns/cities, especially the inland agricultural areas like Salinas, Castroville, Watsonville, etc

not that i think lawns there or probably anywhere in CA are a good idea or anything

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Thats wild. Is it basically that:
We're going to have to radically readjust our usage of water to maximize during droughts (lets start a Lawn Tax if youre not in, like, Monterey Bay and poo poo), while developing infrastructure to mitigate collection capacity shortcomings and flooding potential during the weird 2-3 days when it looks like El Nino is dumping a lake on us????

Yeah basically we’re going to have to prepare to handle worse droughts, through conservation and use reduction, while also strengthing our flood infrastructure.

But the additional impacts will be far reaching. You can’t generate hydropower if there is not enough water (or temperature demands downstream force releases times for natural rather than grid needs). And at the opposite end, it doesn’t matter how much water we have for the CVP if the Central Valley is under 30 feet of water.

Just image if we had a flood event like the 1862 floods today:

quote:

The entire Sacramento and San Joaquin valleys were inundated. An area about 300 miles (480 km) long, averaging 20 miles (32 km) in width,[15] and covering 5,000 to 6,000 square miles (13,000 to 16,000 km2) was under water.[9] The water flooding the Central Valley reached depths up to 30 feet (9.1 m), completely submerging telegraph poles that had just been installed between San Francisco and New York. Transportation, mail, and communications across the state were disrupted for a month.[16] Water covered portions of the valley from December 1861, through the spring, and into the summer of 1862.

And the valley has only sunk deeper since then....

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Instead of taxing lawns, you could just have radically graduated prices for water usage (with household size factored in). Enough for the basics of cooking, cleaning, showers, etc. is super cheap, but enough to keep a fancy big lawn green through the summer is expensive.

Also there should be a state law forbidding any city laws or HOA rules that mandate keeping a (green) lawn.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah basically we’re going to have to prepare to handle worse droughts, through conservation and use reduction, while also strengthing our flood infrastructure.

One thing that's nice is that urban water use in California has been pretty steady, even dropped a little, over the last 50 years despite population growth. There are still plenty of cards to play before desalination too. Our district has been doing long-term PR for purified recycled drinking water, and a lot of the infrastructure is in place. Over time people will get over "toilet-to-tap" and also realize how wasteful it is to wash their car and water the grass with drinking-quality water.

Flooding wise things are gonna get really bad though. More hardscape than ever plus everyone wants to live right next to the water.

Rah! posted:

Not all of the Monterey Bay area is wealthy. There's a lot of working class people in nearby towns/cities, especially the inland agricultural areas like Salinas, Castroville, Watsonville, etc

not that i think lawns there or probably anywhere in CA are a good idea or anything

They have water problems too. Watsonville overextracts groundwater to grow strawberries and now the ocean is intruding to replace it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cicero posted:

Instead of taxing lawns, you could just have radically graduated prices for water usage (with household size factored in).
I could see local municipalities loving with the system tho. Brentwood and Bel Air had fuckers running their spacuzzi infinity golfcourses during the drought to little shame.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

I could see local municipalities loving with the system tho. Brentwood and Bel Air had fuckers running their spacuzzi infinity golfcourses during the drought to little shame.
State law pre-empts local laws. I think this issue already came up during the last drought, didn't it?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

im sure once we get rid all lawns all of our water problems will be solved

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Heavily tax the farming of alfalfa and tree nuts to the point we cut production in half, and there will be enough water left over for everyone to have their own swimming pool and golf course.

I'm exaggerating of course, but not by much. "BUT IT'S FOOD WHY DO YOU HATE FOOD" yeah OK it's food for cows and it's luxury nuts for export, it's not like this would lead to anyone starving.

For example,
https://newrepublic.com/article/125450/heres-real-problem-almonds
every almond uses a gallon of water, and we grow 80% of the earth's almonds.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah seriously you're focusing on stuff that doesn't even use 10% of the total water usage in California. Start banging the drum on assholes growing high water usage crops with massive sprinklers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Why not tax farmers and assholes with giant lawns?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Now you're talking my language. Man I wonder how the signs in the Central Valley has shifted. Always fun to read about conspiracies.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Leperflesh posted:

Heavily tax the farming of alfalfa and tree nuts to the point we cut production in half, and there will be enough water left over for everyone to have their own swimming pool and golf course.

I'm exaggerating of course, but not by much. "BUT IT'S FOOD WHY DO YOU HATE FOOD" yeah OK it's food for cows and it's luxury nuts for export, it's not like this would lead to anyone starving.

For example,
https://newrepublic.com/article/125450/heres-real-problem-almonds
every almond uses a gallon of water, and we grow 80% of the earth's almonds.
Best part is that since agriculture steadily takes less and less manpower anyway, cutting production wouldn't impact jobs in CA by that much.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Good point about priorities. Lush Lawns are definitely one of those high visibility things, so definite myopia on my part for getting :argh: about them.

ChaseSP posted:

Now you're talking my language. Man I wonder how the signs in the Central Valley has shifted. =
I'm sure they just took a sharpie to PELOSI DUST BOWL and turned it into MOONBEAM DUST BOWL THANKS OBAMA.

No amount of empirical reality will cause that idiocy to shift.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 26, 2018

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

it's just frustrating during the last drought when you see all these stories about lawns and see neighbors snitching on each other about water run off when you have the largest almond farmer in the valley using more water than the entire city of LA and SF combined.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I mean, it isn't like we should be increasing total demand for water use in any water sector. We will need to conserve across the board.

The point isn't to take water from that almond farmer to double the water LA and SF get, the point is that all will have to conserve and agriculture as the largest consumers of water will have to bare the burden of most of the conservation.

And don't get me started how the size of your water fine is a badge of honor in some hyper-wealthy communities. Since it shows how much you care about your lawn and how little you care about money.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Use huge water fines to fund transit imo

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Then lets make water fines on an exponential scale!

"Oh yeah? Well I hit the 5th power with my last fine!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FCKGW posted:

it's just frustrating during the last drought when you see all these stories about lawns and see neighbors snitching on each other about water run off when you have the largest almond farmer in the valley using more water than the entire city of LA and SF combined.

Counterpoint: an average Concerned Suburbanite can't meaningfully effect the water usage of a giant agribusiness, but they can snitch on their neighbor for watering their lawn every day.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

FCKGW posted:

hmm yeah but have you also considered CONGRESS CREATED DUSTBOWL

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS.

Maybe the Central Valley should be made to switch to drip irrigation instead. That would seem less wasteful to me... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Instant Sunrise posted:

FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS.

Maybe the Central Valley should be made to switch to drip irrigation instead. That would seem less wasteful to me... :shrug:
IS GROWING FOOD "WASTING WATER"????