Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Man, this would be great in my book. Give the current JJ series at least one more chance to realize its potential while giving Tarantino's film license to do its own thing as a spin-off or one-off or revisit to the prime universe or something.

EDIT: My money is on them aping Star Wars and doing a "Rogue One" or "Solo" thing.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Apr 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drink-Mix Man posted:

My money is on them aping Star Wars

I know it isn't cool to emptyquote, but

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
So what are the chances Tarantino Trek takes place in the TNG/DS9/VOY era or later? 0.1%? 0.01%?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Tighclops posted:

I know it isn't cool to emptyquote, but

No, it's fine.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pakled posted:

So what are the chances Tarantino Trek takes place in the TNG/DS9/VOY era or later? 0.1%? 0.01%?

He wanted to base it on Yesterday's Enterprise. So yea, they're decent.

I find it so hard to care about the JJ Trek films because I have no attachment to those characters.

FabioClone
Oct 3, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Taear posted:

I find it so hard to care about the JJ Trek films because I have no attachment to those characters.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I'm of multiple minds about the Tarantino film.

On the one hand I would assume he would want the creative freedom to do a full reboot and set it in his own continuity. On the other hand, I could see it turning out he's a Seth Macfarlane level TNG supernerd who would make a continuity perfect film in canon. But if he did try to do that, would it just increase the chances of it getting messed up more, like DISCO did, taking design liberties?

Of course, since his involvement may really just be the pitch, and he's not writing it or even probably directing it, that could be all moot.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It may be because I'm not the biggest Tarantino fan but whenever someone mentions him potentially writing/directing/whatever a Star Trek movie I cringe. It's like someone saying they put a slice of chocolate cake on a pepperoni pizza before eating it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If nothing else, Tarantino is very technically competent as a filmmaker and I would be really interested to see him make a big-budget sci-fi film for that alone. If it ends up as weird or as bad of an adaptation as say, Lynch’s Dune, then so what, Dune owns.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

8one6 posted:

It may be because I'm not the biggest Tarantino fan but whenever someone mentions him potentially writing/directing/whatever a Star Trek movie I cringe. It's like someone saying they put a slice of chocolate cake on a pepperoni pizza before eating it.

If we are being honest, I don't think Tarantino would "get" what Star Trek is about and granted Star Trek can be about a great many tings but I worry with him that it would be his throw back to ultra gore and focus way too much on like Uhura's feet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d be fine with a Tarantino-directed film, but not one written by him. He’s no stranger to pseudo-philosophical dialogue, but it’s a totally different monster from the Trek wheelhouse.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

If nothing else, Tarantino is very technically competent as a filmmaker and I would be really interested to see him make a big-budget sci-fi film for that alone. If it ends up as weird or as bad of an adaptation as say, Lynch’s Dune, then so what, Dune owns.

Dune got more right than Discovery, thematically.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tarantino is not writing the treatment. It’s another guy. He just wants to direct.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Taear posted:

They could do "Yesterday's Enterprise" set in the 24th Century, with the JJ Trek crew in place of the Enterprise C. It ends with them getting ordered to their deaths. Everyone wins.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It ends with them getting ordered to their deaths.

pls

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Imagine being so devoid of joy that you can’t find a single JJTrek cast member to like

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Imagine being so devoid of joy that you can’t find a single JJTrek cast member to like
Urban and Pine are perfectly likeable.
Like is different from care about.

We already cared about bones and kirk and spock et al

These feel like impostors, so it's hard to care

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The JJTrek character I care most about is the monochrome chick from Beyond, and I can't even remember her name.

That makes me think that the original timeline must have had something like Beyond, actually, considering Space Idris had been brooding on that planet since before the Nemo thing. Maybe it happened later, to a different ship, and wasn't a big deal anymore.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The JJTrek character I care most about is the monochrome chick from Beyond, and I can't even remember her name.

That makes me think that the original timeline must have had something like Beyond, actually, considering Space Idris had been brooding on that planet since before the Nemo thing. Maybe it happened later, to a different ship, and wasn't a big deal anymore.

I mean the Romulan War pretty obviously hosed people up to the point that 100 years later there were still space racists on the Enterprise blaming Spock for it once they found out what Romulans look like.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I started caring a little about Kirk in Beyond because that's when they stopped writing him as a juvenile little prick.

Also sort of cared about Pike. That character was totally wasted.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The cast is the best part about the new twerk films

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Imagine the will and vision of a director like Tarantino directing the likes of Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner! The words! The ego checks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K8j55V3Lvw

I'm very amused by his impression of Tarantino besides.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should totally have Data again in a movie but cgi him like Tarkin. The uncanny valley stuff and looking slightly inhuman would actually work for the character!

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I thought the new Star Trek movies were pretty good except for the Khan's blood reviving Kirk thing.

A more cerebral Trek movie wouldn't have made it out of Hollywood intact. It would just end up as Insurrection, Take Two.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

They should totally have Data again in a movie but cgi him like Tarkin. The uncanny valley stuff and looking slightly inhuman would actually work for the character!

This is actually not the worst idea I've ever heard.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drink-Mix Man posted:

This is actually not the worst idea I've ever heard.

High praise but also true

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I want a freaky translucent Data, where you can see his endoskeleton and mysterious bulky mechanisms. Sure, he's supposed to naturally develop real emotions but I want a completely unnerving android which makes everyone uneasy.

Tarantino, give me my heart's desire. I'm cool with Data having sexy feet which are randomly in frame all the time, if that's what it takes.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Star Trek: I'm cool with Data having sexy feet

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tarantino Trek: [img-Neelix Feet]

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paramount has hired S.J. Clarkson to direct Star Trek 4. She would be the franchise's first female director. To clarify, this is the sequel to Star Trek Beyond and not the Tarantino thing. It seems like she has mostly done TV work so far.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/26/star-trek-4-will-reportedly-have-franchises-first-female-director

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

Paramount has hired S.J. Clarkson to direct Star Trek 4. She would be the franchise's first female director. To clarify, this is the sequel to Star Trek Beyond and not the Tarantino thing. It seems like she has mostly done TV work so far.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/26/star-trek-4-will-reportedly-have-franchises-first-female-director

Her directing is good, but even modern prestige TV is different from feature films.

I'm hopeful and also generally pleased at all the news lately

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I like Jamie Foxx :)

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Data's backup in B4 eventually asserts itself and takes over B4's body, but the body is prototype pre-alpha trash, so Data eventually decides to upload himself into the Enterprise computer instead.

And that's how you get Brent Spiner as the new computer voice. Maybe a CG Data head can show up on monitors sometimes, like Holly in Red Dwarf, but with worse jokes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Delsaber posted:

Data's backup in B4 eventually asserts itself and takes over B4's body, but the body is prototype pre-alpha trash, so Data eventually decides to upload himself into the Enterprise computer instead.

And that's how you get Brent Spiner as the new computer voice. Maybe a CG Data head can show up on monitors sometimes, like Holly in Red Dwarf, but with worse jokes.

This would be a good way to hide his billion chins

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

Her directing is good, but even modern prestige TV is different from feature films.

I'm hopeful and also generally pleased at all the news lately

I don't know have you seen Marvel films? Those are pretty successful and most look like tv episodes

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know have you seen Marvel films? Those are pretty successful and most look like tv episodes

The Disney Marvel films are all thoroughly entertaining albeit mostly in a different way than a truly good Trek movie would be.

That said, a Trek movie as good as a mid-tier MCU film would still be great with me!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tarantino directs, forces Chris Pine to do Kirk in his Shatner-mode from SNL.

:getin:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

The Disney Marvel films are all thoroughly entertaining albeit mostly in a different way than a truly good Trek movie would be.

That said, a Trek movie as good as a mid-tier MCU film would still be great with me!

And totally doable by a TV director.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I mean, hell, the early Marvel films like Iron Man did about as much business as the new Treks did. Paramount's just pisspants because Avengers did $1.5B, not recognizing that that was the end product of several films' worth of buildup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
:rip: Morn