Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Do small lasers trigger on DFA?

(Also the plot mission after the one that gives you Argo really kicked my rear end. Hard to concentrate fire power with that terrain, and I probably gave up too much of it to get that LRM Griffin, too. Probably should do some non-plot 2.5 or something, bet they're easier than the plot 2-skull).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So I finally got around to starting this and right after the tutorial it just goes to a screen with a ship and planet in the background and uh, nothing happens. Is it loading something? There's no loading icon. Is the game just broke? What do?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

OddObserver posted:

Do small lasers trigger on DFA?

(Also the plot mission after the one that gives you Argo really kicked my rear end. Hard to concentrate fire power with that terrain, and I probably gave up too much of it to get that LRM Griffin, too. Probably should do some non-plot 2.5 or something, bet they're easier than the plot 2-skull).

Yes, they do. Any support weapon does (small lasers, flamers, MGs).

DFA with a grasshopper is a loving terrifying thing.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Is there ever actually a reason to not max out on salvage except on some missions where you'll only be facing vehicles (talking really early on)?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Had a "defend this supply depot" mission at 2 skulls where the opposition was:

Kintaro
Wolverine
Griffin
2 Locusts
THREE GODDAMN HUNCHBACK-4Ps
2 Vindicators
2 Tanks

Three lances!

FORTUNATELY my commander was in a Centurion with an AC/10++ and headshot a Hunchie and a Locust and the buildings the rest of them were attacking were v. hardy and they were attacking uphill, but boy, that's a siege and a half right there. I got out of it with zero casualties, too

then the next mission with only a lovely lance of locusts guarding a VIP, said VIP (a paper-armor Shadow Hawk) punched through poor Behemoth's cockpit on turn 2 :(

Game great btw

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Gobblecoque posted:

So I finally got around to starting this and right after the tutorial it just goes to a screen with a ship and planet in the background and uh, nothing happens. Is it loading something? There's no loading icon. Is the game just broke? What do?

Change your res. You're missing a next button i think.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Roman Reigns posted:

Played the tutorial last night and lost after Mastiff got his arm blown off in the very first fight. Beat the tutorial my second go round after tweaking my tactics.

So uh....am I a scrub or is the game supposed to toss me into the water full of sharks?

My first time, Mastiff lost an arm but kept going like a champ. Until the last mech showed up at the end and DFA killed him immediately after spawning.

So, yes to both.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Party Plane Jones posted:

Is there ever actually a reason to not max out on salvage except on some missions where you'll only be facing vehicles (talking really early on)?

Depends. I've noticed that getting that last bit of salvage frequently leaves you with very few c-bills. I find it usually helps to have at least one level in c-bills just to make sure I have enough cash to cover the month's wages etc. which also keeps me from having to sell poo poo left and right. The prices you get for selling things are not good.

I try if at all possible to make sure I have 3 salvage choices on most missions just so that if I get lucky and headcap a heavy or something I am guaranteed to get the full mech. The extra poo poo they pile on is OK, but for every mission where they give me 5 extra mech parts I have half a dozen where the RNG hands me a pile of worthless heat sinks.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Cynic Jester posted:

Change your res. You're missing a next button i think.

I cycled through all the available resolutions fullscreen and windowed and nothing. :(

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Eej posted:

Oh I hit my first wall for Merc missions. 3 skull convoy assault where the defenders are 4 mediums (zzz) in the bottom of a valley and the convoy had a PPC tank, LRM carrier making GBS threads out 80 missiles a turn and a Demolisher preventing me from just running in and stepping on things.

Needless to say after losing all my poo poo and trying it again and still losing all my poo poo I'm gonna avoid that until I can run at least a full Heavy lance.

I think this was the mission I lost Glitch in. I'm trying to go back and redo this while taking down the reinforcements to get the sweet salvage but I forgot how lucky I got to pass this.

My best advice is set up LOS in the canyon dip so they cant LRM lock you. If you kill two vehicles, reinforcements spawn. So prepare what you can.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gobblecoque posted:

I cycled through all the available resolutions fullscreen and windowed and nothing. :(

If you have an Nvidia card, you should also have a graphics driver update pending. They released it for Battletech, and it seems to correct (some) issues.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

That’s not fairminded at all lol

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

I love how they negatively compare it to Into the Breach. That's so RPS it loving hurts.

Don't get me wrong, I love ItB but it's a super lean game that plays well in 10 minute bursts. I fully expect there to be a phone version inside a few months, if there isn't already. It's a totally different beast. It's kind of like looking at EVE and saying "it's too complex, poo poo takes too long to do" and then pointing at FTL at how space games should be done.

He's only comparing the pace at which actions resolve - not the mechanics. ItB is so much snappier than Battletech, which, like Xcoms before it, have all sorts of weird pauses and stalls and glacially slow animations. You can't even select other mechs while waiting for things to happen so you literally just have to sit there and watch.

Battletech is kind of a slow paced game and that's fine, but this engine makes things take twice as long as it should. You'd think they would have learned from the "Stop Wasting My Time" mods from XCOM and eventually the speed option in XCOM 2.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 26, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Are there any BT forums that goes over all the mods being made? The HBS forums look like the last post for all the boards ranges from over a month ago to over a year ago. It's like.. beyond dead. Reddit is ... reddit.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Philthy posted:

Are there any BT forums that goes over all the mods being made? The HBS forums look like the last post for all the boards ranges from over a month ago to over a year ago. It's like.. beyond dead. Reddit is ... reddit.

I'm not seeing any info on mods over there, but probably the BT subforum over at Paradox. The HBS forums moved over there once they picked up the publishing.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?forums/battletech.994/

Warning: This is a Paradox forum inhabited by both Paradox Forum posters and salty Battletech grogs.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Party Plane Jones posted:

I have 5 days before my bill comes in and I can't pay it. Salvage is going to have to wait :smith:

Barely able to make ends meet after a difficult assassination mission put half of my mechs and mechwarriors out of commission for a month and a half. Game is getting too real.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

In what way?

The game is really slow and the maps are pretty dull looking, grey buildings on a grey moon with a black sky is not hitting any design highlights here. Is anyone seriously questioning those points?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Aramoro posted:

In what way?

The game is really slow and the maps are pretty dull looking, grey buildings on a grey moon with a black sky is not hitting any design highlights here. Is anyone seriously questioning those points?

I can see why some people might not care for them, but personally I think the pacing of the game is fine and haven't been turned off by how the game looks. Fighting on a moon is less visually interesting than fighting in a forest at sunset, but the latter also exists.

I'm not putting this game up as a must have because of its visionary visual direction, but it's certainly not anything that detracts from the game.

This is 100% subjective, ymmv, people are allowed to dislike things other people think are fine, etc.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

game is good but there's a poo poo ton of dead time that they could reduce or let you do other poo poo during.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I mean I like the game, but poo poo like waiting for sound effects and vocals to finish during an action before giving you control again is obviously not supposed to be that way. It is especially noticeable when you down mechs and the game decides to play certain sounds. It doesn't happen all that often to me, but every time I have to wait 5 seconds after a mech has fallen down before I can take another action pulls me out of the experience and is super loving annoying on many levels.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah it's more just him trying to cover his rear end for the lazy excuse of writing prior.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Yeah, the game will definitely benefit from a QoL patch along with the resolution fix and all that

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Been playing the game and loving it, just got a Wolverine from a bizarrely hard ambush mission, 4 tough vehicles, including a triple LRM tank and 4 mediums. Any ideas for Wolverine builds?

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

The most infuriating times I’ve had with BT are when I’ve made a boo-boo that results in as many as half a dozen enemies taking turns to focus fire on one poorly-placed unit of mine. It all looks the same, there’s precious little sense of impact to anything that doesn’t actually take out a limb, and it takes so long: seconds rather than minutes, sure, but it’s all those groups of seconds added together that bite. I can see I’ve messed up: I just need to know if it’s fatally so or not and then get on with responding to it.

When you give a game a bad review because you are extremely not mad about losing.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
If anyone says "boo boo" to anyone other than a child: guillotine

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

I mean I like the game, but poo poo like waiting for sound effects and vocals to finish during an action before giving you control again is obviously not supposed to be that way. It is especially noticeable when you down mechs and the game decides to play certain sounds. It doesn't happen all that often to me, but every time I have to wait 5 seconds after a mech has fallen down before I can take another action pulls me out of the experience and is super loving annoying on many levels.

Going off dev comments and the general feel of things, I think they're aware of the lack of polish in this regard. I have absolute faith that we'll see a few QoL patches here soon. Their motto has basically been "all things in success" and they seem to have sold a lot of copies on top of their Kickstarter backers. Looking at my friends list, a ton of people bought the game who I wouldn't otherwise think as Battletech or turn-based strategy fans. Plus they know they can release DLC or mini-sequels and they have a pretty hardcore fanbase that will support them.

I guess what I'm saying is the game is great and I'm looking forward to what comes next. In the meantime I can't stop playing or thinking about playing.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

RBA Starblade posted:

Glitch rules and is just so happy to be murderin'

She's so great. Also, Im in the argo and i still have dekker.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GoluboiOgon posted:

When you give a game a bad review because you are extremely not mad about losing.

But this game requires thought and planning :qq::qq::qq:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Can anyone link me the tutorial or guide for adding your own custom logos to the game?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

multi targeting stuff can take awhile too, move.. wait, shoot first target, wait for sound effect, wait for damage and something to pop off, wait for voice clip to play.. wait, mech turns, shoots other target.. repeat. no reason why that cant happen simultaniously, just walk up and blast both targets and let damage numbers and poo poo scroll while i pick my next mech.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it’s a pretty unanimous consensus that the game has a lot of slowness/pauses/deadtime related to taking actions completely independent of being “slow paced and tactical” so i don’t know why people are getting so bent out of shape over that guy pointing it out

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

botany posted:

is it normal to hit a difficulty wall right after you take over the argo? because i'm fighting double the number of mechs i'm fielding with no tonnage advantage and it's not going so well.

Deofuta posted:

I have 5 days before my bill comes in and I can't pay it. Salvage is going to have to wait :smith:

Barely able to make ends meet after a difficult assassination mission put half of my mechs and mechwarriors out of commission for a month and a half. Game is getting too real.

the game seems kinda paced to force you to push plot missions forward; you want to prioritize salvage, but you need operating costs and you want to buy the cool special weapons in the store, and the rewards from the plot missions are so much greater . . .

Internet Explorer posted:

I guess what I'm saying is the game is great and I'm looking forward to what comes next. In the meantime I can't stop playing or thinking about playing.

Yeah it has its hooks in. It's weird to realize people's complaint seems to be the combat pacing because I was just happily watching my missiles go Pow Pow Pow every time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My problem isn't so much with the pacing (yet) as much as it's about the weird hangups and standing around as, I'm assuming, the game does a bunch of behind the scenes calculating.

When my mech punches another, I don't want to wait 2 seconds for the firewarks to start while my computer is rolling imaginary dice.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

queeb posted:

game is good but there's a poo poo ton of dead time that they could reduce or let you do other poo poo during.

This. Playing borderless window and have poo poo on my other monitor so I don't go insane while these slow-rear end turns crawl along. Everything in this game takes way to much time.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The game really should have an autosave after the tutorial or at least let you manually save. It's not long when you're just hammering through it but doing the character creation and tutorial a third time to see if maybe updating the graphics drivers fixed the issue (and it doesn't lol) sucks rear end.

And if these gamebreaking issues pop up within the first couple minutes it doesn't exactly bode well for well for how the rest of the game is gonna be.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
Replying to that emblem question.

PoptartsNinja posted:

So, some tips if you want to use a custom crest:

The only way I've found so far is to replace an existing logo, so be sure to save a back-up just in case you want to revert. The game seems to hang on launch if you add a crest with a number one higher than the currently existing crests. There's probably a list of available crests that tells the game what to pick but I wasn't able to find it.

Crests also need to be upside-down but not reversed. You don't have to flip them horizontally, just vertically.

They're also run by liars, HTH.

They're .dds files, in this folder:

/BATTLETECH/BattleTech_Data/StreamingAssets/emblems/player/

cugel fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 26, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Goddamn, this was one fucker of a tough fight:

First half of the mission went swimmingly, but then came the part where you have to push through two medium/heavy lances towards a time-sensitive objective. What saved me in the end was the realisation that a destroyed leg barely seems to inhibit your jumping capability (aside from any lost jumpjets that were destroyed along with the leg), so Behemoth managed to make a Hail Mary endrun and destroyed the objective with two turns left to spare while the rest of the lance got torn apart behind her. Well, except for Glitch, who continued to be her usual murderous self :stare:. Shame about old Dekk, but in salvage I got me a full Dragon and two thirds of a Hunchback, so I'll file him under "acceptable casualties".

Speaking of the Dragon, any fun ideas for a refit? I've been thinking of loading it up on jump jets, SRMs, and a couple of MGs, to use it like a heavier Shadow Hawk to jump around and punch things.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 26, 2018

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of the Dragon, any fun ideas for a refit? I've been thinking of loading it up on jump jets, SRMs, and a couple of MGs, to use it like a heavier Shadow Hawk to jump around and punch things.

Mines flamers srms and jump jets + more armor. It’s a fair bit tankier than my old shad and seems faster. Between heat shutdowns and knockdowns it’s a mech capturing beast.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Quick story told in 5 statements with semi-emoticons

1: "Hah! This Assassinate mission is going to be easy. They've split their mech forces, and it's only 2 Skull!" Focus Fire with my heavy mediums, easy peasy, right?
2: : "Well the good news is that we found the covert agent. He's in a Thunderbolt though. This was not in the plan. :/
3: "Wait, the spy is running, and if he gets away we lose the mission? What happened to stand up and fight." 0_o
4: "Wait, what the heck. ANOTHER THUNDERBOLT? A JAGERMECH? THIS WAS NOT IN THE PLAN AT ALL! WHO GAVE US THIS INTELLIGENCE!" 0_0
5: So the two who were chasing after the spy got back cored, another mech is harmless and armless, and my commander had to punch out.. Thank god Glitch staggered to the evac zone after the spy went down" X_X

Bonus: Come back after work to find the game's CTD, and there's no save during the mission, so I have to do it all again !_!

Went much better on the second go round, as I went all out against the spy, and the enemies heavies were too slow to catch us before he went down, and then we had the numbers game

Tactics Matter folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Also, heads up to those who were going to do Mech Shooty Tournaments tonight.

BATTLETECH Community,

Please be aware that our servers will be down for an update starting sometime between 4:00pm and 8:00pm Pacific time. We will update this post 15 minutes before the actual time of the server interruption. Total downtime is anticipated to be less than an hour. During this time, multiplayer games will not function, you will not be able to log in to your PDX account (or create a new one), reward codes will not be redeemable, and you will not be able to register a call sign.

Thank you for your patience. More info tomorrow as we get closer to the update.