Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

I want to watch the pumpkin chase scene with Naruto music in the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

LoseHound posted:

I want to watch the pumpkin chase scene with Naruto music in the background.

Be the change you want to see in the world. I made this for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Q2KLltS1k

E: fixed link

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 24, 2018

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Saw this in a Discord...
https://twitter.com/KnightGambit/status/988841158322278400
Checking out their Twitter page, this was the only other thing that jumped out at me:
https://twitter.com/KnightGambit/status/988851484371566592
...though admittedly, the only thing that really seems new to me is Dumbo (which I somehow didn't know they were making, but eh, makes sense) and The Nutcracker (which is completely out of left-field for me, but doesn't seem that interesting to me upon digging a bit deeper). Also Mulan isn't listed, but that's almost certainly still coming.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Oh, wow, there's finally gonna be an Artemis Fowl movie.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Only about 14 years after most people would have cared.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Only about 14 years after most people would have cared.

it'll do fine, the first couple books are well in the childhood-nostalgia zone for a lot of twenty-somethings and it's a pretty evergreen premise with a really obvious hook.

e: uh, wait, what, Disney's doing it? :psyduck: that seems like an... odd fit unless they're positioning it closer to their Marvel/Star Wars stuff. Artemis Fowl is basically YA Shadowrun (and, like, Actual Shadowrun, not Diet Shadowrun like Bright was) and making it a straight up kids' movie would be weird given how violent those books got.

e2: okay I'm looking further into this and... I have no idea what they're trying to do here. they're mashing the first two books into one movie and seemingly completely changing the first to give Artemis a more sympathetic motivation (when half the appeal of the series as a kid was that he was a complete hilarious rear end in a top hat), all the casting seems... fine but weird, Kenneth Branagh is an incredibly strange director choice for it, and to be honest I just have no clue what to make of this except that it'll probably be terrible.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 24, 2018

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it'll do fine, the first couple books are well in the childhood-nostalgia zone for a lot of twenty-somethings and it's a pretty evergreen premise with a really obvious hook.

e: uh, wait, what, Disney's doing it? :psyduck: that seems like an... odd fit unless they're positioning it closer to their Marvel/Star Wars stuff. Artemis Fowl is basically YA Shadowrun (and, like, Actual Shadowrun, not Diet Shadowrun like Bright was) and making it a straight up kids' movie would be weird given how violent those books got.

I'm sure it's going to land squarely in the same sphere as the Harry Potter stuff, not a straight up kid's movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I remember Artemis being like a dumb little shithead?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Pick posted:

He was a rich dumb little shithead, and we're introduced to him by his totaling owning his psychiatric counselor.

Also, I think he's pretty transparently the villain of his own book. I only ever read the first one, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pick posted:

he's a complete rear end in a top hat and it owns, he's basically what happens when the Standard Ultra-Perfect YA Protagonist is also a legit sociopath

e: to my recollection he slowly became a better person and it honestly made the books way less fun because him being a complete shitbag was half the gimmick. there's a running theme of him getting constantly dragged into doing decent things because he gets some kind of personal benefit out of it, which ends up rubbing off on him and making him less lovely, iirc.

e2: I should probably note I haven't read any of these books in... about 12 years at the absolute latest, so I might be off, but they were a lot of fun and I really hope this movie doesn't suck

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 24, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Seems kind of redundant if I have Cspan

Bolingbroke
Jan 4, 2015
Artemis Fowl talk:

Artemis Fowl is a 12 year old sociopath in the first novel because his father has disappeared and his mother is nonfunctioning psychotic. He's given a criminal empire to control and vast amounts of wealth and privilege with no one to tell him 'no' or to guide his moral compass. His whole arc in the first book is learning to be a kid again and that he's allowed to need being cared for. It's an interesting/weird thing in the series, where the fairies simultaneously represent wholesome naive childlike magic and this super advanced racist police state. Really curious how they're going to handle all the "police brutality is a-ok and fun" poo poo that appears in all the books. I hope we've all forgotten Bright by the time this comes out or there'll be some weird comparisons.

It's an odd choice to mash the first two books together. The first novel has a strong, clear structure (Artemis kidnaps Holly, fairies attempt to save Holly, Artemis learns it's bad to kidnap fairies) and the second is a series of poorly connected events in which Artemis attempts to save his father in the Arctic. Unless they're planning to cut 90% of the second book, it's going to be super uneven. Although, if they do cut 90% of it that would probably be better than adapting it as its own film.

Branagh seems an obvious choice for director simply based on the facts that 1) He directed Cinderella and 2) He's Irish. IIRC Eoin Colfer wants to keep it as Irish a production as possible, which is a bit heartening.

They've made some racial changes in the casting, I see. The Butlers are black instead of Generically East Asian. Which, sure, Colfer didn't seem to actually know their heritage. Though it's sad we as a culture won't get a super buff male Asian character on screen; the representation would have been good. Wonder if they're going to approach at all the issue of a white aristocratic family having this contractually-bound family of black servants stretching back generations. McDonnell looks uh awfully white for "nut brown" Holly but we all knew that was going to happen. I'm assuming she's very young, which thank God because the Artemis/Holly romance in later books was excruciatingly uncomfortable (he's a teenager, she's an 80 year old police officer).

And holy poo poo, Root is female now and played by Judi Dench. I did not see that coming. Nice. There were some weird gender politics in the book with Root specifically singling out Holly because "you're the first girl on the force so I have to set you higher standards". I hope Dench smokes as many cigars as Root does in the book, I will buy the ticket for that alone.

Here's hoping it does well enough for them to adapt the third book, which is the best in the series. All the later ones are a bit shite.

(I liked these books a lot as a kid :shobon:)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, taking into account the later books, it genuinely kinda makes more sense to default towards starting Artemis out more sympathetic. The first book is wildly different in tone from the others. It portrays Artemis as the villain and is framed more like the origin story for a Lex Luthor type whereas from the second book onward he's heavily pushed towards generic protagonistism.

Admittedly the later books mostly sucked rear end and had the weird romance angle between Holly and Artemis which was all kinds of bizarre so it's unlikely to make a more interesting movie.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Bolingbroke posted:

I hope we've all forgotten Bright by the time this comes out or there'll be some weird comparisons.
The Zootopia comparisons, however, are inevitable.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Bright was so disappointing - it took what could be a really fun premise and then shat on it

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I watched Alien Nation recently and Bright touches a lot of the same notes.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

A bunch of news and poo poo from Cinema-Con, all animation or tangentially related to animation:

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988838997077123072
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988840113382637568
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988841039216590848
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988842081165590530
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988845914625265664
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988846247669723136
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988847078330662912
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988850534688833536
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/988940251379916800
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/989191707945156608
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/989194101667983360
:siren:
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/989221790449782785
:siren:

A trailer for an animated movie that I'd never heard of until today, but that looks pretty good.
https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/989180019569127424

and as a palate cleanser, some Ghibli theme park concept art:

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/989229086982602752

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Hollywood Reporter's piece on Lasseter that came out today is pretty damning.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/he-who-not-be-named-can-john-lasseter-ever-return-disney-1105297

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I hope he doesn't return - there's plenty of really talented people in the company and trying to break into the industry. There's no need to welcome back an abusive creep.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

:staredog:

Looking forward to getting the full details in DisneyWar 2 (PixarWar?) in a few years. Jesus.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It really does explain why Cars 2 was such a sharp drop in quality compare to the first, it wasn't Lasseter's baby.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've never seen a picture of Bob Iger before. He looks like a cross between Kevin Spacey and Vince McMahon.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Man, that Klubien part is heart breaking. More bad things to think about while I'm at Disneyland!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Wait... Smallfoot looks kind of cute? Good animation, anyway?

???

?????

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I hate Jon Favreau so much, I literally hope he walks into a Halloween in January and loving breaks his face. He is a terrible loving director and he has never, ever made a good film.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I thought Jungle Book was alright

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Jungle Book is a terrible film and bad in every way.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Jungle Book was great & cool

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Koramei posted:

Jungle Book was great & cool

So is Iron Man

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I'm most interested in this because man did that first trailer NOT give a good first impression. Someone here pointed out that it was literally just Gru but he looks like the Grinch and it's totally true. Hopefully the new trailer can prove to be better

edit: That Lasseter article, oof. I hope he's completely out and more women can be brought in. It sounds like he just constantly shut women out of all of their projects if he wasn't outright harassing them. That part about that Klubien is something else too, sounds like they just took all his ideas and left him with nothing. Reading that article, it also makes me kind of shocked that Coco happened at all.

Also that entire bit about the Good Dinosaur. I did no realize the movie got delayed two times. And it clearly got destroyed by Lasseter trying to meddle with it. It sounds like it's a movie that in any other situation would've been cancelled out of not knowing what really to do with it, but for some reason they kept going with it. It makes me wonder if that Newt movie would've actually been good but the people working on it got on Lasseter's bad side and he caused it to just be canned. I think a lot of people assumed the story was just a bit too close to Rio but now I think it's probably a bit more than that

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 26, 2018

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Jon Faverau is a flawed but excessively competent director. He has a talent as someone who understands the audience of his films and knows what to give him. Jungle Book may have been unnecessary but he kept it from being embarrassing or regurgitating the original. And I can respect that. Even my favorite film of his, Chef, is a fairly self-indulgent and oddly paced ramble. But it's fun as a leisurely paced road movie about a (flawless) man trying to become better through self care (even if he is unchanged at the end).

All your faves are problematic. Both morally and artistic works. Dehumanise your self and face to bloodshed.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've explained in the past why I think Newt was doomed thematically.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm still a little baffled about everyone telling me how real/photorealistic/flawless Jungle Book was. Pure CG fantasy creatures are great because I have no real-world comparison to make. I know what a tiger, a bear and a wolf look like. Our current tech still can't fool me into thinking I'm watching a real animal, even when they're doing things their real world counterpart does. And then making them do anthropomorphic things just hits a weird uncanny valley vibe for me.

Also the Christopher Robin movie is essentially that whole "cartoon characters, but in NEW YORK" thing I was bitching about a while back. How much you wanna bet there's a scene where Christopher Robin is comically trying to prevent Tigger from ruining his business meeting, tee hee?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

You know, I'd ask why they're in New York, but having just been up and down Manhattan earlier this month, I already know the original dolls are on display in the NY Public Library, soooo makes sense I guess.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Das Boo posted:

Also the Christopher Robin movie is essentially that whole "cartoon characters, but in NEW YORK" thing I was bitching about a while back. How much you wanna bet there's a scene where Christopher Robin is comically trying to prevent Tigger from ruining his business meeting, tee hee?

This is another situation where I wish they were just Roger Rabbiting it instead of what they're doing. I adored Enchanted which went the live action route instead of the Roger Rabbit route like I wanted, but I don't think Winnie the Pooh is gonna charm into being wrong like Enchanted did

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

So... should Pixar keep going? It sounds like Pixar was pretty much Lasseter, people who suck Lasseter's dick constantly, and people who Lasseter chased out for not sucking his dick. Is there any reason why Disney shouldn't just shutter the studio and move all the grunt staff and IPs over to WDAS?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

So... should Pixar keep going? It sounds like Pixar was pretty much Lasseter, people who suck Lasseter's dick constantly, and people who Lasseter chased out for not sucking his dick. Is there any reason why Disney shouldn't just shutter the studio and move all the grunt staff and IPs over to WDAS?

Films with the Pixar branding are perceived differently by both critics and audiences. This can be a double edged sword (I don't think The Good Dinosaur or Brave would have received the drubbing they got if they were released under the WDAS banner), but I think it makes sense for Disney to keep their "prestige" studio around even if it's under new leadership.

Also, it's not like Lasseter is some genius that can't be replaced--he's the reason both of those aformentioned films failed (he retooled Brave after firing the original director because she refused to play ball with him, and he didn't realize that TGD was a failed project from the get-go).

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 26, 2018

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Pixar name holds a shitton of cache. I really doubt that 99% of the Pixar audience even knows who John Lassiter is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if Pixar just becomes another Touchstone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

and it sounds like there's a lot of pixar's employees would would love not having to worry about Lasseter swooping in to meddle and steal credit.

Also the Christopher Robin movie feels weird, given Christopher Robin Milne was very vocal about his feelings that his father exploited him for the fame/money and wanting nothing to do with the books or the characters.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 26, 2018