Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

gen2 nest is v.good dunno what they could have possibly jammed in to them after that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

flakeloaf posted:

these Byzantine thermostats
a byzantine thermostat would be pretty sweet

all covered in tiny mosaic tiles looking like an ikon of nikephoros palaiologos

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/antumbral/status/989284771447455745

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they suck rear end, have batteries that wear out, impossible to program, no remote control

how often do people adjust the ambient temperature that a remote control is required ?

I have the good ol knob job up on the wall and if I feel like giving er a twist I can without verifying the thermostat’s certificate chain

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

flakeloaf posted:

in ten years I've changed the single aa battery in my thermostat exactly twice and programming it is a matter of pushing the button next to the thing I want it to do

where are people getting these Byzantine thermostats
My thermostat goes through 2 AA batteries every 3 weeks or so.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ShadowHawk posted:

:stare:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ShadowHawk posted:

lmao

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flakeloaf posted:

in ten years I've changed the single aa battery in my thermostat exactly twice and programming it is a matter of pushing the button next to the thing I want it to do

where are people getting these Byzantine thermostats

there's a bunch of people out there who outright refuse to read instructions and so they'll just complain that something is impossible

see: all those people in the 80s who thought setting time on their new vcrs was a herculean task

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

i haven't changed the batteries in my thermostat since i moved into this apartment 5 years ago

FMguru posted:

a byzantine thermostat would be pretty sweet

all covered in tiny mosaic tiles looking like an ikon of nikephoros palaiologos

a byzantine thermostat is just one of your slaves waving a palm leaf

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jose Valasquez posted:

i have to get out of bed it i am slightly too warm or too cold like i'm living in the 1800s or something instead of just adjusting the temperature with my phone like a normal person

same but lol if you arent barking it at your phone from under your covers like the god emperor that these non thinking machines lead us to become

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

a spy thermostat offers zero real advantages over a programmable one

mine took 5 min to setup and my house is warm when I'm home/awake

most modern tech is absolute garbage mlyp

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
actually a byzantine thermostat is one whose setpoint reads 80 degrees when you look at it and 70 when your girlfriend looks at it

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

a spy thermostat offers zero real advantages over a programmable one

mine took 5 min to setup and my house is warm when I'm home/awake

most modern tech is absolute garbage mlyp

If you're warm all the time you could try turning it down?

:ohdear:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ShadowHawk posted:

Electric heating doesn't mean battery-powered.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Wheany posted:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

there's a bunch of people out there who outright refuse to read instructions and so they'll just complain that something is impossible

see: all those people in the 80s who thought setting time on their new vcrs was a herculean task

that was just stand up comedians

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

surely this is a photoshop and google did not set themselves up for this happening by having thee animation at any point spell out Gay with a google g.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wheany posted:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

actually a byzantine thermostat is one whose setpoint reads 80 degrees when you look at it and 70 when your girlfriend looks at it

that'd be a lenticular thermostat

on that, let's introduce nest premium, a smoke detector that screeches in a tone only people under 40 are likely to hear

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

flakeloaf posted:

that'd be a lenticular thermostat

on that, let's introduce nest premium, a smoke detector that screeches in a tone only people under 40 are likely to hear

*in moderately jon hamm voice*

it's not called the nest, it's called the carousel

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

syscall girl posted:

that was just stand up comedians

and my adorable grandmother who is always fascinated by my skills with setting up electronics

vcrs are specifically good for you being helpful for old relatives :3:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

the thing that hosed all pc game controller support has been that there is no standard controller. console controllers are standardized, developers know and test what the customers are using.

let’s see if google can avoid the mistake of bring-your-own-controller (they won’t)

it doesn't matter since all they need is a d-pad and like one button to tap your buildings every few hours when you get a notification.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

If you're warm all the time you could try turning it down?

:ohdear:

I have my house set to 69f during winter so it's always... what's the word...
pleasant

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I have my house set to 69f during winter so it's always... what's the word...
pleasant

65-68 during the cold months and 70-72 during the warm months is probably more environmentally responsible (not that there can be ethical consumption under capitalism) and will also help you save money on your heating bill.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 26, 2018

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i wish i had a thermostat, i have 4 baseboard electric heaters with a loving knob on each one and in the summer i break out my window air conditioner

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Perplx posted:

i wish i had a thermostat, i have 4 baseboard electric heaters with a loving knob on each one and in the summer i break out my window air conditioner

Our apartment (a post-war two story/4-unit building) has "free heat" meaning that we have no actual control over it.

If (when) it's 20 degrees in September or 80 degrees in April we're just kinda :shrug:, it takes the company a week or so of lead-time to catch up by which time the temperature will statistically probably have gone back to seasonal so we freeze or fry accordingly.

E: I mean, it's Whitefish Bay, it's still better than probably 80% of rental properties in the metro Milwaukee area (although after reading Evicted I suspect that number might be dramatically higher :cry:) so I count my blessings but still, kinda sucks when we have to blanket the kid three-deep.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 26, 2018

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

65-68 during the cold months and 70-72 during the warm months is probably more environmentally responsible (not that there can be ethical consumption under capitalism) and will also help you save money on your heating bill.
we initially had it set to 67 but it was a bit cold. 69 feels great. it's set to 55 at night/when we're away and seems pretty efficient. no a/c because I live in Seattle

anyway the nest is garbage and if you use anything like it or an amazon listen bot you are a bad person and should feel immense shame

Perplx posted:

i wish i had a thermostat, i have 4 baseboard electric heaters with a loving knob on each one

used to have this. my condolences

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

my smoke detector doesn't even have wifi :twisted:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

69 feels great
nice!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

this is why fahrenheit is better than celsius

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

the nest is fine and if you set your thermostat lower than 80 during the summer you're killing the planet

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Perplx posted:

sorry that you're poor :(

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Jose Valasquez posted:

sorry that you're poor :(

my location is amazing and i'm subletting against the rules from a guy that been there since 95, i pay like $300 below market value

another couple years and i'll move

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

google play music is going away for youtube remix

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/04/24/youtube-remix-google-play-music/

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

everyone who can get youtube red: great news

everyone not in those five countries: gently caress off i guess, you deserve this for using a google service

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

gently caress!!! rear end!!!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

can't wait for the usability and design nightmare of YouTube to infest my music service

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I legit don't understand why YouTube doesn't have a "Repeat" function.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i bet that a) they're also going to shut down the free version of play music that lets you listen to your own music, and b) the new platform won't have that ability

guess i'd better start looking for another solution for my mp3s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

quote:

youtube red:
Australia
Korea
Mexico
New Zealand
The United States

quote:

google play music:
Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Bolivia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, FYROM, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States, Uruguay, and Venezuela.[54]

well done google you owned those people hard !!

• Locked thread