Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Pretty bummed that exiles Valkyrie seems to have nothing in common with movie valk other than being black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

site posted:

Pretty bummed that exiles Valkyrie seems to have nothing in common with movie valk other than being black

So Exiles Valkyrie doesn't sell people into slavery?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

We don't know that this isn't her ultimate goal. For all we know, she's prepping a buyer for toon Wolverine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ragnarok Valkyrie barely gets anything more than "drunk, traumatized, has honor" as far as characterization.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Marvel Rising #0 is out today and free and man it's fun.

I really need to catch up on Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Billzasilver posted:

Stan Lee originally wrote Spider-Man as slightly weaker than the Thing, if that helps clear things up.

And also, Vaptain America has always been written as able to slightly hurt the Hulk.

Originally when not holding back Spider-man is hella strong and powerful. He’s made jokes of the X-Men that current version would have trouble with.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Horrible Taste posted:

So Exiles Valkyrie doesn't sell people into slavery?

I mean like they way she acts and talks. I read avengers 280 and exiles back to back and Hercules in avengers could've been interchangeable with her

Marvel rising was good enough to keep my interest and Thanos annual was fun

And for Thor on one hand it's nice that Jane is alive on a feels good level, but I also have to admit feeling a bit cheated on a narrative level cuz we SPENT SO MUCH TIME BUILDING TO JANE DYING and like it doesn't even last the issue wth

site fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 26, 2018

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

I mean like they way she acts and talks. I read avengers 280 and exiles back to back and Hercules in avengers could've been interchangeable with her

And for Thor on one hand it's nice that Jane is alive on a feels good level, but I also have to admit feeling a bit cheated on a narrative level cuz we SPENT SO MUCH TIME BUILDING TO JANE DYING and like it doesn't even last the issue wth

Is Jane's last name "Parker?" No? There you go.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Woah hoh hoh the thanos annual came out today?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Billzasilver posted:

Woah hoh hoh the thanos annual came out today?

I think it should be subtitled "Fun Short Stories of Thanos Being the Biggest rear end in a top hat Possible" as that's pretty much exactly what it is. As far as I'm concerned "Thanos Helps An Old Lady Cross The Street" is now part of the Infinity Gauntlet official canon.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That story turned into some cold poo poo fast

EvilJay
Jul 25, 2005

site posted:

That story turned into some cold poo poo fast

Speaking of that, this issue of Moon Knight :stonk:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

site posted:

How'd she come back?. I was subscribed to Thor but had to cut everything but Ms. Marvel because of financial issues.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Viridiant posted:

How'd she come back?. I was subscribed to Thor but had to cut everything but Ms. Marvel because of financial issues.

While Jane is at the gate to Valhalla saying she's not ready to die, Thor and Odin use their combined strength to channel the storm that was previously trapped in the hammer to shock her back to life, like doctors using those electric paddle things

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Well, finished Infinity. That was awesome. Makes me want to go through all of the Hickmna era Avengers stuff. I've been holding off on reading post-Secret Wars stuff until I was satisfied wrapping up pre-Secret Wars and I thought all I had left was Daredevil but maybe not.

But yeah, Infinity. The series started off with Jim Cheung, who I usually like, but after a steady diet of Deodato, Leinil Francis Yu, and Jerome Opeña (whose work I had never seen before), it was kind of disappointing when Cheung came back to finish the series. His work seemed a lot simpler and cartoony by that point.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Lobok posted:

Jerome Opeña (whose work I had never seen before)

oh man go pick up uncanny x force v1 right loving now

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Opena also does the opening arc for Hickman's Avengers. Really sets the mood.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Opena also does the opening arc for Hickman's Avengers. Really sets the mood.

Is badass a mood?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Rhyno posted:

Is badass a mood?

It is when Opeña is drawing

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I really didn't care for Marvel Rising #0. The story and character's where a bit too generic for my tastes. That said, it was free, and the next issue will be written by North and Wilson, so I don't have much to complain about.

I was also disappointed by Exiles #2. It suffers from the same weakness a lot of team books have, where the characters don't have enough room to showcase more than one note, and unfortunately those notes are pretty blah so far. I'm also not sure why they would hype up basing Valkyrie off of Tessa Thompson, and then giving her a generic "jovial asgardian" personality. Hopefully the characters will come more into their own now that the team is together, so I'll give it one more issue at least.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Is badass a mood?

Ever since willpower was an emotion.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Lobok posted:

But yeah, Infinity. The series started off with Jim Cheung, who I usually like, but after a steady diet of Deodato, Leinil Francis Yu, and Jerome Opeña (whose work I had never seen before), it was kind of disappointing when Cheung came back to finish the series. His work seemed a lot simpler and cartoony by that point.

This was me getting whiplash when it jumped from Yu's awesome design on K'Lrt (and the rest of the Space Council) taking down Black Dwarf to Cheung's goofy cartoon Skrull face when showing the same scene an issue later. I love Jim Cheung's work for the most part (I think he draws my favorite version of The Thing), but man oh man was that a weird transition.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll take Cheung over Deodato any day of the week.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jim the Nickel posted:

This was me getting whiplash when it jumped from Yu's awesome design on K'Lrt (and the rest of the Space Council) taking down Black Dwarf to Cheung's goofy cartoon Skrull face when showing the same scene an issue later. I love Jim Cheung's work for the most part (I think he draws my favorite version of The Thing), but man oh man was that a weird transition.

The comparison was all the more striking with the next panel, which was a recap of the killing blow to Black Dwarf that kept Black Dwarf's shattered head out of view. I'm not one to say that violence and gore are intrinsically better or more mature but when the art already seemed cartoonier that choice not to show the impact made it seem like even lighter fare. Which, again, is not necessarily worse but the difference is striking.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Heathen posted:

Ever since willpower was an emotion.

Still the dumbest thing in an infinite ocean of dumb things about Geoff Johns' run.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Marvel Eisner noms: https://www.comic-con.org/awards/2018-eisner-awards-nominations

quote:

Best Continuing Series
Hawkeye, by Kelly Thompson, Leonardo Romero, and Mike Walsh

Best Limited Series
Black Panther: World of Wakanda, by Roxane Gay, Ta-Nehisi Coates, and Alitha E. Martinez
X-Men: Grand Design, by Ed Piskor

Best New Series
Black Bolt, by Saladin Ahmed and Christian Ward

Best Cover Artist
Brian Stelfreeze, Black Panther
Julian Totino Tedesco, Hawkeye

Best Coloring
Ed Piskor, X-Men: Grand Design

Best Lettering
Clayton Cowles, Black Bolt, Spider-Gwen, Astonishing X-Men, Star Wars

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol that best continuing series will have been cancelled for months by the time winners are announced

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

Lol that best continuing series will have been cancelled for months by the time winners are announced

So will the best new series, right?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Every issue that comes out I feel more and more like Russell Dauterman just might be my favorite artist working today. His art on Mighty Thor has been consistently amazing. The first time I'd ever heard of him was a few years back on Rucka's Cyclops series, but his Thor stuff is just out of this world. I'd kill to get him on a cosmic book where he could go even more crazy with it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Thanos annual was pretty good.

It kind of made me want to jump on some of the new #1s.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I know comic books are collaborative and planned out and everything, but Invincible Iron Man finally got interesting and it's going to suck if Bendis goes away and in the end it all boils down to just Tony Stark and his Evil Secret Dad go Frankenstein on Rhodey

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

X-O posted:

Every issue that comes out I feel more and more like Russell Dauterman just might be my favorite artist working today. His art on Mighty Thor has been consistently amazing. The first time I'd ever heard of him was a few years back on Rucka's Cyclops series, but his Thor stuff is just out of this world. I'd kill to get him on a cosmic book where he could go even more crazy with it.

It's absolutely stupendous. Every single panel in Thor lands so well and feels so full and expressive.

Credit has to go to Matthew Wilson as well. His colours on this book are just lovely. The panel of Valhalla awaiting Jane from the final issue positively leaps off the page with its colouring.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Autism Sneaks posted:

I know comic books are collaborative and planned out and everything, but Invincible Iron Man finally got interesting and it's going to suck if Bendis goes away and in the end it all boils down to just Tony Stark and his Evil Secret Dad go Frankenstein on Rhodey

I've never read the series, but doesn't the book only now becoming interesting a good reason to get Bendis away from the series?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Invincible Iron Man started really well then meandered in the weeds for a long time with its "search for Tony Stark" arc. Riri increasingly began to feel like she was entirely peripheral to her own book.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sounds like what I've heard about Miles.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Android Blues posted:

Invincible Iron Man started really well then meandered in the weeds for a long time with its "search for Tony Stark" arc. Riri increasingly began to feel like she was entirely peripheral to her own book.

Yeah riri only ever seems to do hero stuff in books that aren't hers

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Android Blues posted:

Riri has so much potential as a character but she really felt forcibly shoe-horned into the Iron Man mythos. I really wish Bendis had spent more time actually working on her personality and character before BOOM she's the new Iron Man. I hope they pull something together for her in the future because "super genius 16 year old who reverse engineers the most advanced weapon on the planet on a dare" is too good to toss aside.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

amigolupus posted:

I've never read the series, but doesn't the book only now becoming interesting a good reason to get Bendis away from the series?

Not if the next writer *looks at solicit* gently caress it's Slott looks at all the threads he left dangling and characters he added and goes "pfft gently caress that noise"

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Android Blues posted:

This so much. As much as I'm completely over "teen/kid supergeniuses" I really like Riri. But for at least half this series, it just felt like she was keeping the seat warm for Tony. Really compares unfavorably with Jane Foster as Thor. For both those series, we KNEW the original character was going to step back into the role eventually- Thor because Jason never made a secret that Jane was going to die, and Tony because of standard Comic Status Quo Snapback- but Riri felt like a placeholder in a way Jane never really did, for at least since Iron Man dropped back to one title. Maybe Bendis didn't have the room to include "what's going on with Riri", "what's going on with Doom", and "what's going on with Tony" in one book, fair enough, but he really did a disservice to his own character by making the book mostly about Tony for like half a year before bringing him "back".
e: I do wonder how much was editorial and how much was Bendis wanting to wrap up his story in a certain way before leaving, but I could really have gone for another year of Tony existing as an AI, and Riri and Doom both trying to fill his shoes in different ways. Such a cool direction to take the book, in my opinion, and it's disappointing they felt it had such a short shelf life. Did sales tank or what?

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Riri was a teen genius character written well and not as a "spunky hacker" stereotype, she was standoffish and socially clueless, which girl versions of the teen genius archetype especially don't usually get to be. Then the book just sort of stopped being about her. It's a real shame.

• Locked thread