Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

there's got to be a good way to estimate the value, as an equivalent to scrimmage yards, of devin hester scaring the poo poo out of every punter and kicker in the nfl for years

compare seasonal net punting average of punters the bears faced, to their punting average against the bears, I guess

surely a stats nerd somewhere has done this already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

hester is the best player all time at his position so not much to say about HOF credentials

Forte, though..
blargh trying again

got all of faulk's and martin's careers, not all of smith's (whatever). cutoffs of 1k rushing attempts, 10k yards from scrimmage

i dont think HOF for forte based on that (terrell davis had 8887 yards from scrimmage but the insane peak + titles)

he's basically Tiki barber with a lower yard per carry

Forte needed a few more years of high level production to have a chance. It also hurts that he was never the best player at his position in a given year. Was he ever an all-pro? My gut says no.

Hester should be, but probably won't because the NFL is dumb.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

PupsOfWar posted:

there's got to be a good way to estimate the value, as an equivalent to scrimmage yards, of devin hester scaring the poo poo out of every punter and kicker in the nfl for years

compare seasonal net punting average of punters the bears faced, to their punting average against the bears, I guess

surely a stats nerd somewhere has done this already

yeah my gut is that he affected every kick by 10 yards , due to them trying to pin him on sidelines or straight kicking out of bounds or whatever. So you're looking at 10 kicks a game, 10 yards a kick, that's 1600 yards a year , let alone the TDs he had

especially after the Sauerbrun game and then the opening of the superbowl where kickers were saying they'd just kick to him no problem

here's the super bowl kicks:
Adam Vinatieri kicks off 62 yards, returned by Devin Hester for 92 yards, touchdown
Adam Vinatieri kicks off 42 yards, returned by Gabe Reid for 9 yards (tackle by Robert Mathis) Gabe Reid fumbles, recovered by Tyjuan Hagler at CHI-37 and returned for 3 yards <--granted, there was a fumble but that's a super short kick
Hunter Smith punts 49 yards, returned by Devin Hester for 3 yards (tackle by Rocky Boiman) <--cant tell what happened here
Hunter Smith punts 31 yards <-- was on the chi 36, so just a good punt without much risk
Adam Vinatieri kicks off 63 yards, returned by Rashied Davis for 15 yards (tackle by Dexter Reid) <--kicked away from hester
Adam Vinatieri kicks off 44 yards, returned by Adrian Peterson for 10 yards (tackle by Darrell Reid) <--another short kick
Adam Vinatieri kicks off 41 yards, returned by John Gilmore for 3 yards (tackle by Kelvin Hayden) <-- another short kick
Adam Vinatieri kicks off 34 yards, returned by John Gilmore for 9 yards (tackle by Freddy Keiaho). <--jesus christ i didn't realize there were so many short kicks
Hunter Smith punts 50 yards, touchback <--not sure if he tried to pin or said gently caress it and kicked it into the end zone on purpose
Adam Vinatieri kicks off 76 yards, touchback <--good kickoff
Hunter Smith punts 32 yards, fair catch by Devin Hester <--another short+high good punt

so you have 3 punts that look pretty normal as good punts , one that might've been an intentional touchback
but holy poo poo the kickoffs: immediate TD, then 4 of the next 5 kickoffs are 44 yards or less

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 24, 2018

overnightmike
Aug 11, 2007
I do a Packers podcast that y'all might enjoy. It's called Cheeseheads in Chicagoland, and we're on iTunes and all the other things!

We'll be sporadic through the summer and then weekly during the preseason and season. It's about 60/40 a football talk to nonsense ratio.

We're ironing out how it all works but I think we have all the tools needed to occasionally occupy your morning commute or jog.

This year begins the Marwin Evans era.

https://anchor.fm/cheeseheads/episodes/Episode-2-e1cbk8

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

overnightmike posted:

I do a Packers podcast that y'all might enjoy. It's called Cheeseheads in Chicagoland, and we're on iTunes and all the other things!

We'll be sporadic through the summer and then weekly during the preseason and season. It's about 60/40 a football talk to nonsense ratio.

We're ironing out how it all works but I think we have all the tools needed to occasionally occupy your morning commute or jog.

This year begins the Marwin Evans era.

https://anchor.fm/cheeseheads/episodes/Episode-2-e1cbk8

That's cool man! I've been thinking about starting a little film review video series during next season. It's fun to make things, I'll have to check it out.

fake e: not on Google Play? That's too bad

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Sataere posted:

Hester should be, but probably won't because the NFL is dumb.
Probably. :sigh:

I still think he should be a lock.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Fenrir posted:

Probably. :sigh:

I still think he should be a lock.

yeah, best return player of all time and since the NFL's moving away from the return game, his stuff won't ever be replicated. So either you have to just pretend special teams don't exist or you induct him

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Forte is a very good candidate for the Hall of Very Good.

Hester is a clear-cut Hall of Famer in my eyes.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
Here's a 4 part Packers draft preview for anyone interested:
https://twitter.com/eric_nehm/status/988821250494648320

I've been slacking on following draft stuff this year so this was a good overview for me

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Except for Lacy and HHCD I feel like the first couple rounds of recent Packer drafts are always out of left field. I don't know how much of that was the reality of picking in the twenties vs. late-stage Tedism

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

they look like wax sculptures

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

mastershakeman posted:

yeah, best return player of all time and since the NFL's moving away from the return game, his stuff won't ever be replicated. So either you have to just pretend special teams don't exist or you induct him
When the sheer dominance of one player terrifies the entire NFL and they even change rules because of his impact, well... let me tell you about one Deacon Jones.

Pretty sure he's in the hall and Hester belongs there too. Of course the bullshit "he didn't play every down" nonsense will come up but to me that doesn't change the fact that he was the best in history at what he did.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Forte is a very good candidate for the Hall of Very Good.

Hester is a clear-cut Hall of Famer in my eyes.
Agreed.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

why is the packres offensive line not nicknamed the green bay snackers

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
That's what they're called during games of Settlers of Catan,

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

mastershakeman posted:

hester is the best player all time at his position so not much to say about HOF credentials

Forte, though..
blargh trying again

got all of faulk's and martin's careers, not all of smith's (whatever). cutoffs of 1k rushing attempts, 10k yards from scrimmage

i dont think HOF for forte based on that (terrell davis had 8887 yards from scrimmage but the insane peak + titles)

he's basically Tiki barber with a lower yard per carry

What that's telling me is Frank Gore is a hall of famer.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

IcePhoenix posted:

they look like wax sculptures

YOU LOOK LIKE A WAX SCULPTURE

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Hester is one of those opponents i just have a visceral hatred for because he would turn a game around in an instant. gently caress that guy forever, but yeah he's a Hall of fame level player

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

iospace posted:

What that's telling me is Frank Gore is a hall of famer.

i didn't really think curtis martin was worthy but if he is, gore's the better version. and that's ignoring bettis (who had a really good year left off that chart but still)

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/OnionSports/status/989548942718308352?s=19

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Gone

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Aw, it was something along the lines of "Bears GM having a difficult time deciding whether to draft good player or bad player"

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://sports.theonion.com/bears-gm-wavering-between-drafting-good-player-or-bad-p-1825563916

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Entirely happy with grabbing Smith, bears needed a linebacker and he's a drat good one.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

roquan was the dude i wanted the bears to draft, bad news for them because i'm an idiot

e: glad for once pace drafted a guy who is good at football and not a chance to prove how smart he is

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

The Packers traded back. I thought they got rid of Ted Thompson. =(

Buuut they got the saints #27 pick, and a 5th round this year... And the saints first round pick next year. That's actually pretty solid I guess

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Malaria posted:

The Packers traded back. I thought they got rid of Ted Thompson. =(

Buuut they got the saints #27 pick, and a 5th round this year... And the saints first round pick next year. That's actually pretty solid I guess

loving steal.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Packers traded back into the first and took CB Jarie Alexander apparently.
They still have pick 27 from the saints too.

This is definitely not a Ted Thompson style draft

Edit they do NOT have #27. So they basically traded back four spots and picked up a first next year. Still pretty legit

Malaria fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 27, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So the Packers pick up a first rounder (and a fifth-rounder) and give up only a third-rounder to move down 4 spots and take someone who they probably would have taken at 14 without the trade edit WAIT they didn't give up #27 at all?! People suck with info we gave up 27 + 3rd to get 18, a net gain of a first rounder I'll take it

I approve

So now our starting defense looks something like this I think?:

code:
                 Clinton-Dix                           Brice
King                                    J. Jones                   Alexander
        Perry       Martinez                       Matthews
            Daniels         Clark      Wilkerson
Not a bad start at all. C'mon Pettine. Time to step up. Coach these players into stars.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 27, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Building the o-line through the draft is always good, right?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/SBNationCFB/status/989686797402869761?s=19

Lol Saints

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Peter_Bukowski/status/989691542041513985

Same ol' Jay Same ol' Mitch

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

VJeff posted:

Building the o-line through the draft is always good, right?

It's a position of need so I can't be too upset but man I wish we'd gone for Landry.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Okay, I'm sold on the pick.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12/status/989695475585552384

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

hard to get real jazzed about the packers taking a DB in the first for the zillionth year in the row

that said, given that they were gonna do it, i am glad they got a CB with speed

I feel an underestimated part of their pass defense struggles is that a lot of the younger DBs they've brought in have been too slow to keep up with people regardless of whether they knew how to play coverage or not

the quentin rollins/ladarius gunter experience

Fewer WRs will be able to outrun jaire.

Size is, imho, less of an issue now that most teams are rolling out 3 WRs as a base offense, which has come along with a proliferation of smaller faster receivers. Already drafted a big corner last year anyway.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I'd say a bigger issue is keeping these first round DBs healthy.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I hope Jaire Alexander sucks cause the alternative is me getting real mad at his taunting cause he owns.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

On one hand: getting an extra 1st next year and a hopefully goid CB now is fine, but pass rusher was also a need, and they quicker make an impact than a CB. So I don't know if we were better off with taking Marcus Davenport, that the Saints now have. In a few years we'll know

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

The thing he doesn’t tell you, is they were all in one Peterman game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/PigTrailNation/status/989693494603190272

You know I'm honestly warming up to the guy, especially after remembering the struggles the O-line had last year.

• Locked thread