Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

waah posted:

So about that character If you pay attention to how often she's spying on you early on, it makes a lot of sense. Like she's literally everywhere and it's awesome.

Yeah I never noticed that and then I went back and it's awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

irlZaphod posted:

I never really got the Makoto hints, I guess with Morgana, he wouldn't have been the traitor (since nobody would understand him :v:) but that he'd turn evil when he got his memories back.

The way she's acting leading up to it I figured they were trying to set it up that she would do something to try and save her sister's job/life. And since we knew someone was going to betray us that just led into it more. Of course I still trusted her because she is the best girl and my only thought on it past that was that if she was the betrayer it was probably a setup for a grander plan that required me getting caught, so I was at least partially correct on that front :v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Leading up to the 6th palace, there were one or two moments where Makoto seems like she's going behind the team's back, which I think was meant as a red herring.

It is pretty obvious on retrospect that Akechi is who is going to sell out the group. He's the only one who really doesn't have a build-up like with the rest of the party members. The slip-up early on with Morgana I didn't catch, but the fact that he's been to the Metaverse, or is going to be a party member is spoiled by the fact that he's on the cover of the game with the rest of the party.

What I didn't see coming was that Akechi was going to be the black mask killer. I figured that was going to be Shido. My thinking was that they were setting it up where you're intended not to really like Akechi, but after going through Sae's Palace, he comes around and becomes a legit member of the Phantom Thieves.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Pash posted:

I didn't catch the slip but I saw it coming pretty easily, the game did not do enough to make me think it could possibly be anyone else.

I caught it but enough time had passed IRL that I mostly forgot about it until they bring it up again :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

waah posted:

Agreed. But then She joins your party and you realize she's actually awesome
Edit:
So about that character If you pay attention to how often she's spying on you early on, it makes a lot of sense. Like she's literally everywhere and it's awesome.

You are wrong about this. It isn't awesome, it is adorable. The first time I noticed it was when it was raining and watching her trail you with a book in hand under in umbrella dramatically increased how much I liked them as a character.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

It is pretty obvious on retrospect that Akechi is who is going to sell out the group. He's the only one who really doesn't have a build-up like with the rest of the party members. The slip-up early on with Morgana I didn't catch, but the fact that he's been to the Metaverse, or is going to be a party member is spoiled by the fact that he's on the cover of the game with the rest of the party.

Yeah that's what tipped me off. Every other character has some painful backstory about how adults have hosed up their lives and a dramatic persona reveal, then Akechi shows up and he's just like "ummm i came to the metaverse and didn't want to die? anyway here's my persona" and his only thing remotely close to a character moment is lamenting about how the world doesn't fit his definition of justice. It's so obvious. I did forget the pancake moment though, so the revelation that the Phantom Thieves knew the whole time blew my mind.

quote:

Leading up to the 6th palace, there were one or two moments where Makoto seems like she's going behind the team's back, which I think was meant as a red herring.

The only other possible traitor I saw was Haru because she got over her dad's death way too fast and the PT never really definitively proved that they weren't responsible until the Akechi reveal.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Persona 5 Kiwami: Makoto Everywhere

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Yeah that's what tipped me off. Every other character has some painful backstory about how adults have hosed up their lives and a dramatic persona reveal, then Akechi shows up and he's just like "ummm i came to the metaverse and didn't want to die? anyway here's my persona" and his only thing remotely close to a character moment is lamenting about how the world doesn't fit his definition of justice. It's so obvious. I did forget the pancake moment though, so the revelation that the Phantom Thieves knew the whole time blew my mind.

Well there was that time he told the Futaba, the MC, and Sojiro about his oh so tragic past. Which to be fair is kind of messed up but considering how little remorse he seemed to have for Futaba for all the poo poo that he put her through.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

This conversation comes up a lot, but I don't remember anyone mentioning another tell the timeline Akechi gives in October when describing how he got his powers and when he visited the Metaverse. For some reason (going off my memory here) he gives a statement suggesting he was only aware of the Metaverse and had been capable of going there for a month or two. Tying in with the very early giveaway going well outside that timeframe it just raises more red flags as there was zero reason to try and obscure it. If he'd been trying that old giveaway could have been used to further prove his side of the story was factual, he just thought he misheard pancakes at the time and dismissed it. Ideally Akechi would have been introduced mechanically a palace ago, but couldn't attend the heist because of very convenient plot issues (e.g. called to another city overnight to provide a statement, or some excuse allowing him free travel but cut off from the group). This would have given more ground to pepper in hints without the most obvious cutaways ever.

Every other tell people mention could have a plausible reason behind it in a different version of the story, but there was no reason to try and disguise how long he'd been involved in the Metaverse for no gain.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Akechi's not very smart.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Basically this means that in Persona 6 I am trusting no one who's name begins with the letter A and ends with the letter I.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

waah posted:

Basically this means that in Persona 6 I am trusting no one who's name begins with the letter A and ends with the letter I.

Ai Ebihara was a perfectly good person.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

waah posted:

Class, meet our new Russian exchange student, Alexei

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

TwoPair posted:

The only other possible traitor I saw was Haru because she got over her dad's death way too fast and the PT never really definitively proved that they weren't responsible until the Akechi reveal.

Akechi's just kind of halfheartedly goes, "Oh, my mother abandoned me/died, and I never knew my father", on one of the days he's hanging out in LeBlanc, and I just thought, "Screw you, game; you can't make me feel bad for him with that half-assed explanation, especially after he's been a such a dick up to this point."

The fact that the Phantom Thieves knew is kind of hinted at in retrospect, with the white fade transitions at the end of certain scenes, which I think was meant to be holes in Joker's memory from being drugged. I didn't know what was up with that when it happened at the end of that scene where Akechi reveals he has photos exposing them as the Phantom Thieves after the school assembly.

I didn't think Haru would be the killer, but the fact that you see her with her costume and Persona before she's really properly introduced as a character felt like they suddenly ramped down the whole transformation thing (I know there's still a big dramatic 'I am thou, thou art I' scene a little later like with the other members, but I think before that point, Morgana says 'Yeah, Haru has a Persona and all, yo.'). Later, Akechi summons Robin Hood, and it's just sort of :geno:, and it felt like the game was getting tired of the whole process. Later on, though, I wondered if it was another red herring.

Haru being really accepting of her father's death I think is more of testament to how weak her character is.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 26, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Day 1 buy for me

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

Day 1 buy for me

JOKER-CHAAAAAAAAN

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Doesn't the Persona 5 Dancing DLC mean that instead it would be Persona 5 Kiwami: Ann Everywhere?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

Akechi's just kind of halfheartedly goes, "Oh, my mother abandoned me/died, and I never knew my father", on one of the days he's hanging out in LeBlanc, and I just thought, "Screw you, game; you can't make me feel bad for him with that half-assed explanation, especially after he's been a such a dick up to this point."

The fact that the Phantom Thieves knew is kind of hinted at in retrospect, with the white fade transitions at the end of certain scenes, which I think was meant to be holes in Joker's memory from being drugged. I didn't know what was up with that when it happened at the end of that scene where Akechi reveals he has photos exposing them as the Phantom Thieves after the school assembly.

I didn't think Haru would be the killer

I didn't really either, but pretty much from his introduction Akechi seemed so obvious that I kept thinking the game was going to pull a twist and have it be someone else and Haru was the only one that made even a tiny amount of sense

And yeah the white fades are totally the drugs messing with his memory. If you fail to meet the deadline on any of the other palace goals after you get a quick bad end then the white fades come on and Sae tells you that's not how it went.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

I love that this page looks like we are discussing some Area 51 poo poo as opposed to talking about an anime game.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

waah posted:

I love that this page looks like we are discussing some Area 51 poo poo as opposed to talking about an anime game.

This was why back when the game first came out I was glad that somebody made a specific spoiler thread so that when people were rehashing their views on Akechi you wouldn't just get a page that was completely covered in black bars.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Well there was that time he told the Futaba, the MC, and Sojiro about his oh so tragic past. Which to be fair is kind of messed up but considering how little remorse he seemed to have for Futaba for all the poo poo that he put her through.

I'm annoyed that they hinted at but never confirmed him being Futaba's brother.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm annoyed that they hinted at but never confirmed him being Futaba's brother.

explain this one to me? sounds interesting

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HIJK posted:

explain this one to me? sounds interesting

Akechi and Futaba have the same blood type which less than a percent of Japanese have, and the holes in Futaba's backstory (who her dad who ditched their family was) could fit Shido; Him randomly knocking up Futaba's mom when he was her boss doesn't exactly sound out of character. Technically they'd be half siblings but the point stands.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cuntellectual posted:

Akechi and Futaba have the same blood type which less than a percent of Japanese have, and the holes in Futaba's backstory (who her dad who ditched their family was) could fit Shido; Him randomly knocking up Futaba's mom when he was her boss doesn't exactly sound out of character. Technically they'd be half siblings but the point stands.

That seems to be a real stretch, especially since if Shido was her father, then do to the connection Sojiro has both to Futaba's mom and Shido then he would surely know about it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

waah posted:

The best part of Persona 5 is the underground lab heist. I can't believe Wakaba was part of Majestic 12 all along.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Interesting, I like it.

Hunt11 posted:

That seems to be a real stretch, especially since if Shido was her father, then do to the connection Sojiro has both to Futaba's mom and Shido then he would surely know about it.

Persona has made larger leaps :v:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

The best part of Persona 5 is the underground lab heist. I can't believe Wakaba was part of Majestic 12 all along.

Best scene from that part:

*Akechi shoots President Okumara*
Haru: Oh my god! Daddy...
Akechi: What a shame.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

I don't think he'd really have much reason to bring it up, though...

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't think he'd really have much reason to bring it up, though...

It just feels like fan speculation when the character in question delights in talking about all the hosed up poo poo he did. On a slightly more important note, what does that detail add to the story?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

It just feels like fan speculation when the character in question delights in talking about all the hosed up poo poo he did. On a slightly more important note, what does that detail add to the story?

It's not especially important, which is why it's mostly something you'd piece together looking at bonus material.

Also maybe it'll come up in P5C as a way to convince Akechi to join you, I dunno.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Cuntellectual posted:

It's not especially important, which is why it's mostly something you'd piece together looking at bonus material.

Also maybe it'll come up in P5C as a way to convince Akechi to join you, I dunno.

I hope if that's true

we can still leave him to die. Because seriously fuuuuck Akechi, I'm glad he's dead

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
If a remake tries to include an Akechi redemption arc then I am 100% done with this franchise, gently caress Akechi.

Also the blood type thing is dumb, Japanese writers include that because they think that "blood type personalities" are a thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alacron posted:

Also the blood type thing is dumb, Japanese writers include that because they think that "blood type personalities" are a thing.

Yeah, Japanese culture tends to hold on to things for a long time after they’re shown to be loving insane. There was a significant HIV issue from public blood testing machines in the 80s and 90s, and people still run the risk of being excluded from jobs for their blood type

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, Japanese culture tends to hold on to things for a long time after they’re shown to be loving insane. There was a significant HIV issue from public blood testing machines in the 80s and 90s, and people still run the risk of being excluded from jobs for their blood type
Yeah, I'm glad everyone in the Enlightened West understands that astrology is bogus, and homeopathic medicine doesn't do anything, and vaccines don't cause autism.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Alacron posted:

If a remake tries to include an Akechi redemption arc then I am 100% done with this franchise, gently caress Akechi.

I'd be really surprised if an update happened and that didn't in some capacity.

I know you can also say the blood type thing is about how Futaba/Akechi are "othered" by people, yeah.

FractalSandwich posted:

Yeah, I'm glad everyone in the Enlightened West understands that astrology is bogus, and homeopathic medicine doesn't do anything, and vaccines don't cause autism.

Please don't try to make pointing out cultural issues into a racism thing.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

Please don't try to make pointing out cultural issues into a racism thing.
Individually and collectively, people have a strong aversion to changes to their status quo, and don't reliably change their beliefs even when they're proven wrong. That's not a cultural issue. That's a human issue.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FractalSandwich posted:

Name a game that has homeopathic medicine as a game mechanic or a AAA title where you choose your character's astrological sign (Elder Scrolls doesn't count, I'm talking making your Fallout 4 or Mass Effect character a Sagittarius because it fits their character)

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Name a game that has homeopathic medicine as a game mechanic or a AAA title where you choose your character's astrological sign (Elder Scrolls doesn't count, I'm talking making your Fallout 4 or Mass Effect character a Sagittarius because it fits their character)
Final Fantasy Tactics

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Blood Libel posted:

Final Fantasy Tactics

While you are correct, for one, I don't think picking a Japanese game really proves that guy's point in the way that he would like. Secondly, I think it's a little disingenuous to choose a game with magic and dragons and goblins and demons as having zodiac signs being fueled by the developer's personal world view. In my mind, including them all together is even more of an admission of astrology being a fantasy. Also, in FFT (and elder scrolls, which is why I mentioned it), your sign is more of a gameplay mechanic than an informing design decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Hahaha wow cool there are new posts in the P5 thread I wonder what--

oh.