Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The_Doctor posted:

For a UK-based KS, having the UK shipping be double the price of the US is a bit of a kick in the balls.

Presumably they won't be manufacturing in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I just asked him, that's precisely the reason.

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
The Confrontation Kickstarter is now offering the chance to buy individual armies ... but as a stretch goal if the Kickstarter reaches EUR 1,250,000 (it's currently on less than EUR 700,000).

To my knowledge, they haven't said how much the individual armies will cost.

This strikes me as the worst way to handle it. Who's going to up their pledge until the option to buy individual armies is unlocked? But if no one ups their pledge, it'll never get unlocked ...

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

My current plan is to wait for people to start dumping what they don't want on eBay when it releases.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I wasn't exactly excited about the latest Zombicide Kickstarter as is, but they just announced a second, standalone core box with a related SF premise as a one-off limited quantity print run as part of the project and I'm just like...really, guys?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sanglorian posted:

The Confrontation Kickstarter is now offering the chance to buy individual armies ... but as a stretch goal if the Kickstarter reaches EUR 1,250,000 (it's currently on less than EUR 700,000).

To my knowledge, they haven't said how much the individual armies will cost.

This strikes me as the worst way to handle it. Who's going to up their pledge until the option to buy individual armies is unlocked? But if no one ups their pledge, it'll never get unlocked ...

Yeah, the entire problem with that Kickstarter is that the base buy in point is absolutely insane. I'm trying to think of others that are close and I thought maybe Kingdom Death but looking at the page that was "only" 250 rather than ~400. Sure It's a good price per mini , but how many people actually actually want that entire range?

It would be funny if a bunch of people went in on the base pledge and then reduced it by factor of ten when the ability to pledge for the stuff they actually want was opened up.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I'm trying to remember the name of a beer-drinking board game I saw a pretty long time ago on Kickstarter, I don't even know if it was eventually realeased.

The concept was that everyone had a few glasses of beer in front of them and each type of beer would have an effect against typical fantasy monsters and you would take sips to activate or augment your powers. The twist was that different types/colors of beer affected the powers.

Example, witbier was good against demons, stout was good against holy enemies, irish reds did fire damage.

Did that ever come out?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Was it Dragon Brew?

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I don't think so, it was more about monster slaying then ressource management.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This Confrontation KS has me feeling very conflicted.

It's an established company, the sculpts are done and fantastic, the rules are ok-I-guess, but goddamn "buy every single thing in a box" is a garbage way to have launched this.

It's unlikely to grow to the point where you can get a single faction, since there's no way to substantially increase pledges without that level. And without that, they'll never hit a point where the big box becomes the Sweet Spot or even an ok deal.

I feel like I'm the exact person they're marketing this at, and I'm just kind of frustrated and disappointed that they lead with "all-in." Instead of making that the best option, they made it the only option.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mantic's Hellboy: The Board Game kickstarter is off and running

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

NTRabbit posted:

I'm not too proud to admit I'm pledging just to get the minis.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

NTRabbit posted:

I saw that too. Curious if anyone has any thoughts on it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jedit posted:

I have a copy on the way, should be here by the middle of next week. I'll let you know before the campaign ends.

Trip report on City of Kings as promised: we just played for three and a half hours solid without noticing the time go by. I'm definitely in for the expansions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Backers have received links to a lot of the stuff for TORG's Living Land. It... it lets me have a pet raptor, so bias.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 26, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

NTRabbit posted:

goddamn, a half million already

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Finally, the Hellboy game is actually worth paying for

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

malkav11 posted:

I wasn't exactly excited about the latest Zombicide Kickstarter as is, but they just announced a second, standalone core box with a related SF premise as a one-off limited quantity print run as part of the project and I'm just like...really, guys?

Their CEO is 100% behind the Kickstarter model and doesn't give a poo poo about retail or after campaign support. Expect this to be the norm with all their future games.

JackMann posted:

I'm not too proud to admit I'm pledging just to get the minis.
I've never liked a single thing Mantic has done, but, since they are working off a licensed product with existing art, at least this time the minis won't look terrible. I'm almost tempted with this game, considering my love for Hellboy and Mignola.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s so dang pricey though.

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

The_Doctor posted:

It’s so dang pricey though.

£95 for a premium board game with 100+ minis, an expansion, KS exclusives and a graphic novel? Seems pretty reasonable to me.

I'm in the playtest group. Can't say huge amounts but it's good, lots of fun, the developer is good. Handled the minis and I'd say they actually look better in person, very nice and detailed. Looking forward to getting my hands on them.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Magnolia and Gaiman are my favorite comic book writers, so Hellboy is a no-brainer for me. Even though it looks a little too similar to some games I already own, I'm pretty confident I'll have more fun playing it.

Bye bye Zombicide pledge.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
This is weird, and it looks pretty rough, but I just saw Welcome to Yarnia, an RPG about knitting. As far I can tell, it has been a thing on a major knitting community online, so its somewhat established, but its really weird looking. That said, it seems to be an interesting way to combine two hobbies.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Knitters are giant fuckin nerds, man.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

berzerkmonkey posted:

Their CEO is 100% behind the Kickstarter model and doesn't give a poo poo about retail or after campaign support. Expect this to be the norm with all their future games.

I mean, that in and of itself isn't the worst thing to me - I'm on Kickstarter, I'm generally either interested in a game and thus willing to back it, or I don't really care enough to buy it short of phenomenal word of mouth (which CMON games almost never receive in my experience). But when you're Kickstarting a new $100 core game with a $50 expansion out of the gate (I assume? That's how original Zombicide was priced, anyway.), expecting people to plop down for another $100 game then or never again in the same loving project is pretty gross.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Like I said, I was aiming to have an artless draft ready by today and here it is.

How does it look? I plan on contacting some people to get some art for it, get a video added, and I want to see if I can't interest some people in doing some playbooks for it as a stretchgoal.

Thoughts, feelings, opinions, wild accusations against my character?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Covok posted:

Like I said, I was aiming to have an artless draft ready by today and here it is.

How does it look? I plan on contacting some people to get some art for it, get a video added, and I want to see if I can't interest some people in doing some playbooks for it as a stretchgoal.

Thoughts, feelings, opinions, wild accusations against my character?

I'd get this proofread to clean up your prose. You've got some choppy sentences and fragments going on that would make me question the quality of the book.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

malkav11 posted:

I mean, that in and of itself isn't the worst thing to me - I'm on Kickstarter, I'm generally either interested in a game and thus willing to back it, or I don't really care enough to buy it short of phenomenal word of mouth (which CMON games almost never receive in my experience). But when you're Kickstarting a new $100 core game with a $50 expansion out of the gate (I assume? That's how original Zombicide was priced, anyway.), expecting people to plop down for another $100 game then or never again in the same loving project is pretty gross.

CMON games don't get phenomenal word of mouth because they're mediocre trash focused purely around the minis. Their only good games are the ones where the minis aren't focal. Perhaps this should be considered when deciding whether you're interested in a CMON game or not.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Antivehicular posted:

I'd get this proofread to clean up your prose. You've got some choppy sentences and fragments going on that would make me question the quality of the book.

Very nicely, someone have pointed those out to me and I plan on fixing those today.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jedit posted:

CMON games don't get phenomenal word of mouth because they're mediocre trash focused purely around the minis. Their only good games are the ones where the minis aren't focal. Perhaps this should be considered when deciding whether you're interested in a CMON game or not.

That’s true for people who actually are picky about the quality of their games. There’s plenty of people who posted rising sun in their top 9 games of all time meme that’s currently happening in the board game fb groups.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Jedit posted:

you seem upset about the success of cmon games and its kind of weird

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

They push poor product as "Kickstarter exclusive" to get people to buy in sight unseen, they have lousy customer service and worse playtesting. Why is it weird not to be keen on their success?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

I would’ve thought you too would appreciate bagging on bad companies who make bad games, fellow death thread poster. They publish the occasional good one, but broken clock

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
come on? more like go away.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Impermanent posted:

come on? more like go away.

goddamn

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

I would’ve thought you too would appreciate bagging on bad companies who make bad games, fellow death thread poster. They publish the occasional good one, but broken clock

i mostly just like to antagonize people :twisted:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
and pissing off gw weirdos is insanely easy. just laugh at them paying 35 buck for a lovely elf figurre

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think it's better to praise things you like than rag on things you don't

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
thats nice

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

You’re quite a nasty person, aren’t you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
my mother tells me im a sweet boy :colbert: