Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

doctorfrog posted:

I really like it when a game has its own sort of operating system/ecosystem kinda thing.

OpenTTD/Transport Tycoon feels like this very carefully designed OS with its own sharp edged windowing system and fonts and stuff. Even has a little jukebox thing that I never use because Windows has terrible MIDI.

Space Rangers kinda has this too. There’s this underlying simulation running scads of independent agents and you’re trying to make your way in this little 2D ecosystem that has these half hidden doors into other weird text games and stuff.

Anno 1404 was made in this midway point where UbiSoft wasn’t sure they were ready to take on the world and force them into their lovely store yet, and so all the unlockable things in it don’t depend on external servers and exist in this storefront from inside the game’s menu system. You buy stuff like portraits and faction colors with points you earn by playing the game, but it all lives locally.

I dunno what you’d call this, but I think of it as an “exquisiteness” that some games have. There’s a sense of self containment to the game, or some portion of it.

What an adorably nerdy favorite little thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Cleretic posted:

That sure is a modestly funny multiplayer prank in a pretty generic-looking game I have no hope of identifying. Maybe it's got little things from a game in it, I don't know, but I guess being able to see your legs when on the ground is pretty new in general for FPSes?

Just to break it down for you, the funny, Siege is a 5 V 5 environment and unless you have a pre-configured team you often get 1 or 2 people working together, and their synchronization is often very spotty at best. This is the funny because 4 operators of a 5 man team isolated a single person and played him like a violin.

He shot the camera robot, thus meaning he had less bullets to dump into shieldmans, the flash is from another shieldmans whose shield (because it flashes) covers less body than the middle shieldmans. You note the dude on the floor reloads, because as soon as he got flashed he did the smart thing to empty his mag in hope that he might hit a target and thus save himself, the comedy comes from a flash ending and seeing a wall of shields all pointing guns at him, he is at this point boned.

but our brave player takes out an explosive that would of killed all 3 shields thus negating their tactics, except nobody was expecting hammer man to come in because you don't, generally, use the hammer on the other players just on walls to make access routes, thus like a well oiled machine they undid everything the poor rando did to survive. Now we throw our heads back and laugh, except for you, presumably because you are incapable of having fun and the thought of trapping someone in bullet proof shields and hitting them with a melee weapon just confuses and enrages you, in the future all my posts in an effort to soothe your lizard brain will come with detailed joke analysis and colorful charts and maps so that you might in some saurian fashion map-quest your way to the joke.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

I don't think Cleretic had the lizard-brain reaction here.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Feonir posted:

Just to break it down for you, the funny, Siege is a 5 V 5 environment and unless you have a pre-configured team you often get 1 or 2 people working together, and their synchronization is often very spotty at best. This is the funny because 4 operators of a 5 man team isolated a single person and played him like a violin.

He shot the camera robot, thus meaning he had less bullets to dump into shieldmans, the flash is from another shieldmans whose shield (because it flashes) covers less body than the middle shieldmans. You note the dude on the floor reloads, because as soon as he got flashed he did the smart thing to empty his mag in hope that he might hit a target and thus save himself, the comedy comes from a flash ending and seeing a wall of shields all pointing guns at him, he is at this point boned.

but our brave player takes out an explosive that would of killed all 3 shields thus negating their tactics, except nobody was expecting hammer man to come in because you don't, generally, use the hammer on the other players just on walls to make access routes, thus like a well oiled machine they undid everything the poor rando did to survive. Now we throw our heads back and laugh, except for you, presumably because you are incapable of having fun and the thought of trapping someone in bullet proof shields and hitting them with a melee weapon just confuses and enrages you, in the future all my posts in an effort to soothe your lizard brain will come with detailed joke analysis and colorful charts and maps so that you might in some saurian fashion map-quest your way to the joke.

A hammer? I legitimately thought he was being hit with a brick, which made it way funnier.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Feonir posted:

lol now this is funny

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Feonir posted:

Holy wall of text, Batman. Was that necessary? Now, i'm reasonably new around these parts, so maybe I don't realize that i'm supposed to treat Cleretic like garbage too, I don't know. I'm clearly missing something.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Neuronyx posted:

Holy wall of text, Batman. Was that necessary? Now, i'm reasonably new around these parts, so maybe I don't realize that i'm supposed to treat Cleretic like garbage too, I don't know. I'm clearly missing something.

Treat everyone like garbage and be prepared to choose really weird hills to die on that's the PYF way.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It is amazing, detailed breakdown of what is happening to someone who has never played that game... It is a shame that the last sentence of that post was written by some random rear end in a top hat on the internet, what's up with that?

HenryEx posted:

The funny thing is, German Kratos in the old games has always been voiced by the same dude that also voiced Teal'c (and most of Judge's roles), so it's like nothing ever changed.

That apparently is common in German and French dubs (I don't know about other countries). In the CD forum there was a goon working on the German version of John Wick: Chapter 2 and he said that the guy dubbing Keanu had been doing so for decades. I am guessing when you are dubbing Hollywood actors, you are doing it for life (or until the actor quits acting).

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
That's still not really a "little thing in the game" so much as it is "check out this sweet play", though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PubicMice posted:

That's still not really a "little thing in the game" so much as it is "check out this sweet play", though.

Yeah, this was kind of my issue, honestly. It's great to know now what was actually going on, but it's not really befitting of the thread.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Nor is bitching about Fallout 4 or Far Cry, but alas.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Feonir posted:

Thanks for the explanation. I didn’t get it until this post, as I don’t really play FPS games online

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

I really like it when a game has its own sort of operating system/ecosystem kinda thing.

Yyyyeeaahhh, I've always loved this but never really been able to quite nail it down. It's why I liked the .hack games with their faux-mmo simulation and emails you'd send your friends "outside" the game

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Xenoblade 2 added some stuff today - one being a new quest where you get a new blade.
During the quest you find an item called the not safe for work-folio . It got a decent giggle out of me.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Feonir posted:

Yeah, I saw this exact same scenario play out in Modern Warfare 2.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

OutOfPrint posted:

Yeah, I saw this exact same scenario play out in Modern Warfare 2.

So?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PubicMice posted:

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this was kind of my issue, honestly. It's great to know now what was actually going on, but it's not really befitting of the thread.

Oh shut up, killjoys. It was a cute little setup and payoff that anyone with a still beating heart and sense of humor could enjoy.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
As if someone with an Undertale av has any room to talk about the quality of games or game related content.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
They didn't have giant hammers in Modern Warfare 2.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Apparently I really just like voice act-y stuff in Warhammer IP, but the faction leaders in the diplomacy screen in TW: Warhammer 2 are extremely dope. It's really a tiny thing, but it's great flavour and almost every single one is done well.

"Approach my bulk, pitiful warmblood."

Sadly I can't find any clips of them on YT.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

:discourse:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Who What Now posted:

As if someone with an Undertale av has any room to talk about the quality of games or game related content.

I actually got this av for talking about D.Va from Overwatch! And no, I can't explain that connection.

Also, it's honestly not as good a gif if it's totally without context, because there's apparently a lot going on that isn't apparent from just seeing it while blind to the actual subject.

For content: I've been playing Bayonetta for the first time, and I think one of the game's biggest highlights is how well it does character animations, especially in cutscenes. I'm a reasonable way in (I don't know how far exactly, I just finished The Broken Sky), but the the part that stood out the most to me is in Luka's first appearance. He starts flirting with a woman, throws his big dumb scarf over his shoulder dramatically... only for it to immediately fall back where it was while he's delivering his next line. It's blink-and-you-miss-it, but it's a perfect bit of punctuation to highlight what a dweeb this guy is.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

I actually got this av for talking about D.Va from Overwatch! And no, I can't explain that connection.

Also, it's honestly not as good a gif if it's totally without context, because there's apparently a lot going on that isn't apparent from just seeing it while blind to the actual subject.

Actually it was pretty clear on it's own.

"Guy regains vision to find he is royally screwed" doesn't exactly require the Rosetta Stone to decipher.

Who What Now has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Apr 27, 2018

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Multiple people: "Actually, yeah, that was kind of hard to parse without a description"

A total rear end in a top hat dipshit: "GOD MAYBE YOU SHOULD USE YOUR AUTISTIC LIZARD COMPUTER BRAINS TO DOWNLOAD HUMOR.EXE, IDIOTS"

VVVV c'mon oldpainless you might be an rear end in a top hat but nobody thinks you're a dipshit

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I didn’t say that!!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

oldpainless posted:

I didn’t say that!!

more like oldquoteless

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Acting smug about not recognising a game leaves you open to ridicule, tbh.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why are we all getting mad about the content of the gif and not the dumb meme face or whatever it is stuck on the end

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

poptart_fairy posted:

Acting smug about not recognising a game leaves you open to ridicule, tbh.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cleretic posted:

I actually got this av for talking about D.Va from Overwatch!

Lemme reframe it like this. Imagine youre a Tracer that got blinded and found themselves surrounded by Reindharts. And then one of them meleed you.

Gif solved.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Been playing Lone Echo, and Olivia will actually respond to general hand gestures like a thumbs-up or thumbs-down. Even a wave in her direction. Three thumbs-ups in a row is a bit much though, according to her.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've been replaying Warship Gunner 2, an old Playstation 2 game, and my god I can waste a lot of time in the ship designer. It's a core concept, so I guess not really a little thing, but honestly it's great and more games need to do stuff like this. The way it works is you get a hull, and you need to stick engines, a power source (e.g. boilers or a nuclear reactor), a bridge, guns, etc. on there. They each take up space, some on the deck, some belowdecks, some take both, and your guns may have their firing angles restricted by what's put next to them. So it's a huge ol' puzzle game of trying to cram as much ordinance as possible onto your ship without compromising its performance or making said ordinance effectively useless. Every mission you complete gets you research points to spend on unlocking new parts, so there's a sort of RPG level-up process in play too -- you start out with pretty dinky little guns on a destroyer, and gradually upgrade to battleships and aircraft carriers armed with ridiculously huge artillery, CIWS, vertical-launch missiles, etc.

I've had a surprisingly large number of missions where I've needed to go back to the designer and adjust my loadout to better match the requirements of the mission. For example, one of the boss fights is against a gigantic flying bomber (oh yeah, the setting is alt-universe WW2 with bizarro futuretech sprinkled in), and my 50cm main deck guns couldn't track it effectively, so I made a battleship whose primary armament was 25 57mm rotating cannons. Sort of a naval A-10 Warthog; the deck was just totally covered by big ol' machine guns. Then another mission puts you up against a huge fleet of cruisers armed with cruise missiles, so I've had to sacrifice some of my heavy-hitting capacity in favor of more point-defense.

Basically: realistic wargames this is not, but it is a poo poo-ton of fun and I wish more games did the "design your own loadout" thing with this level of freedom.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In the new God of War there's a little interaction in the sidequest at Fafnir's Ravine, where Kratos and Boy meet the spirit of a man who was stabbed in the back by his son. As they walk out of the room, Atreus keeps going in on how he doesn't understand why a son would kill his own father and you see Kratos just clamming up and trying to keep himself from defending it. It's amazing.

Boy : Wow he killed his own dad
Kratos : ...
Boy : Like what the gently caress man that's messed up
Kratos : You don't know the full story of what happened
Boy : Who even does that, just straight up kills their own dad
Kratos : I'M SURE HE HAD HIS REASONS OKAY

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's been about a year or something since I last played Path of Exile so I'm doing that again, and one thing that consistently impresses me is how well the game ramps up the spectacle of your character.

By which I mean at high levels your character is just filling the screen with projectiles or w/e which makes you feel real cool as you squash the huge mobs of enemies they start throwing at you.

For instance, 'molten strike' is a melee ability that hits a dude and sends three lava balls spilling into the air which fall randomly, damaging more people where they land. It's pretty decent right from the start at low levels since it has a bit of of AoE, which is very valuable in this sort of game.

However as you level you can augment this in a bunch of ways. I have some jewels (a type of gear) that changes molten strike to fire 7 balls instead of 3 with slightly bigger AoE on landing. Some skill gems make it target 4 people instead of 1 (the guy you hit and 3 ghostly figures hit random nearby enemies, which also generate fireballs), strike multiple times per use, and of course I can attack multiple times per second.

All of this combines to turn it from a skill that throws out 3 balls per second at first level, to approximately 600-800 balls per second.

It turns into a beautiful visual mess and is WAY too busy to actually see whats going on, but by the time you're doing that you're sort of used to how things work and it doesn't really matter. It'd be overwhelming to a new player but since you've built it up overtime it's just brilliant and makes me smile like an idiot when I spew thousands of lavaballs over hordes of enemies.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Dying Light is the game Fallout 4 tried and failed to be.

Both are open-world games heavy with combat and looting, and takes place after an apocalypse.

In Bethesda's Fallout there's tons of free-stuff in bombed-houses no one thought to loot 200 years after the apocalypse. In DL the zombie-apocalypse started only a few months ago so it makes sense to find supplies everywhere.

In F4 no matter what perks you pick your character will end up an incestous blob. DL doesn't pretend to be an RPG and while you can learn every skill they do more than just buff a stat. Learning to stomp a zombie's brains out or grapple onto a roof completely shifts how you play the game.

The inventory and UI in F4 is simply atrocious because no one thought to play-test it, or considered against having encumbrance when the game encourages you to pick up junk. In DL the UI is simple to navigate, you can pick up as much junk as you like, and the only limit is the number of weapons you can hold.

F4 pretends that your character has choice and agency and grafts an awkward linear family-drama onto an open-world without success. DL doesn't have a good story either but it's completely skippable and doesn't lie to you about having a choice.

F4 runs on a creaking game-engine that was made when your grandmother was still a virgin. DL's more recent in-house engine performs incredibly well on PC.

F4 disappointed so many goons when it cut down all the role-playing elements that made it's series famous in favour of a more generic experience. DL is an all-but-name sequel to Dead Island, a game no one liked so nobody could get disappointed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My favorite thing about F4 is that people I talk to in real life have all enjoyed it across the board and that years later it still makes goons angry

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Len posted:

My favorite thing about F4 is that people I talk to in real life have all enjoyed it across the board and that years later it still makes goons angry

Lots of people consume media without thinking or caring about it's quality. They here it's from a big studio and is very popular so they assume it's good.

It's not complicated.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Agent355 posted:

Lots of people consume media without thinking or caring about it's quality. They here it's from a big studio and is very popular so they assume it's good.

It's not complicated.

That's was me with most movies I used to watch. Never thought much about stories or acting and just liked the action.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Agent355 posted:

It's not complicated.

I mean it could also be that it's not as bad as these forums make it sound?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

:sever: