Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OperaMouse posted:

On one hand: getting an extra 1st next year and a hopefully goid CB now is fine, but pass rusher was also a need, and they quicker make an impact than a CB. So I don't know if we were better off with taking Marcus Davenport, that the Saints now have. In a few years we'll know

Landry's still available, among others. I'm not worried. Gute has shown the willingness to go for the gusto after signing Graham and Wilkerson and then turning a first rounder into two first rounders while only moving down four spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

OperaMouse posted:

On one hand: getting an extra 1st next year and a hopefully goid CB now is fine, but pass rusher was also a need, and they quicker make an impact than a CB. So I don't know if we were better off with taking Marcus Davenport, that the Saints now have. In a few years we'll know

I’m more comfortable with grabbing CB depth which was sorely lacking than OLB depth where we’re ok. Tough to say how much of the weak pass rush was Capers’ scheme, also.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not a big fan of getting a center 20th overall in a weak o-line draft. Hoping Guice or Nick Chubb fall to 51.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Any guesses on how the Saints will be next year? I can’t remember the last time they put together back to back playoff appearances. Would be sweet if this was another one of those down years for them and that 1st gets more value.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pops Mgee posted:

Any guesses on how the Saints will be next year? I can’t remember the last time they put together back to back playoff appearances. Would be sweet if this was another one of those down years for them and that 1st gets more value.

They look pretty stacked and if Davenport shows even half the ability he's projected to have the defense will be good enough to help Brees make it to the second round of the playoffs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Henchman of Santa posted:

Not a big fan of getting a center 20th overall in a weak o-line draft. Hoping Guice or Nick Chubb fall to 51.

See, I disagree-I actually think the Lions have more than enough talent at RB (Especially after signing Blount), the problem for the past few years has been the scheme and run blocking. Ragnow does a lot to fix that-he's an incredibly athletic guy who was overpowering against top-tier lines in college, and his presence should do a lot to open up holes for Abdullah and Blount that haven't been there in years past.

Of course, a lot of my satisfaction with this pick is contingent on Quinn finally doing something to address the dire D-line situation tonight, so my feelings may change pretty quickly depending on how the rest of the draft shakes out.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I hope the lions enjoy their 20th overall center while Jaire prances around them

ragle
Nov 1, 2009
Detroit Lions draft final piece for OL puzzle in Arkansas' Frank Ragnow

quote:

According to stats provided by the school, the team captain never allowed a sack in his four-year career, and allowed one quarterback pressure on 255 pass-blocking snaps last season. [...]

Both the Cincinnati Bengals, who picked 21st, and the New England Patriots, who picked 23rd, had Ragnow as a top target, and the Patriots tried to move up in front of the Lions to get their man.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

also jaire is pretty heavy for a 5'10'' corner
a lot of those guys come in at 180, 185
probably gonna bulk up above 200 once he's in an nfl program

a stout lad

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ribbing aside Ragnow is not at all a bad pick considering the DTs and NTs in this division.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah, I mean, plenty of years have gone by where a lot of people have been saying "fix the run game" and if you can get that close to or fully accomplished with one pick then might as well take care of it. I saw Landry get mocked to the lions 1st round and he's still available.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
im glad we drafted an oline man.

he also gave up 0 (ZERO) sacks in college, dude is a stud.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Mike_Daniels76/status/989900629979082753

:hai:

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
so whats the deal with this Mike Hughes guy the vikings drafted

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Dubious posted:

so whats the deal with this Mike Hughes guy the vikings drafted

Aniki posted:

CB depth is a legitimate need for the Vikings. Both Trae Waynes and Mackensie Alexander's contracts are up after 2019 and it takes a year or two for corners to get up to speed in Zimmer's defense. So there is logic in the Vikings drafting a corner this year; what I disagree with is spending a 1st round pick on what amounts to a 4th corner who has red flags for character and is undersized for Zimmer's scheme. This is a role that could have easily been filled by a mid round pick or veteran FA. Zimmer is supposed to be a CB guru, but he hasn't proven that he can develop mid to late round CBs, and instead keeps investing high picks on corners who they may not retain past their first contract. It's not a sustainable way to build a team.

The best case for Hughes I've heard is that the Vikings play a variety of coverages. Most corners are only really good at one type of coverage (e.g. press man, off man, zone) and Hughes is supposed to be decent to good at all three types of coverages, so he could potentially be able to contribute earlier than other corners that Zimmer has drafted. They also failed to address corner depth in FA, so there was nothing of note after Alexander. Again adding a corner to the roster makes sense, but spending yet another high pick on a corner is what irks me.

There are some other factors too. Firstly, the trade down market is not good this year. Philly only netted a 4th to drop down 20 spots to 52. Secondly, there had been a run on interior linemen, so the better scheme fits like Price and Ragnow were gone. Hernandez was left and he's likely a better fit for a man blocking scheme, but they could have made it work. There is also good OG depth through the 3rd round, so the Vikings may have felt that they were better off taking a corner now since the drop off for waiting at guard was not as big. As for the OL, it was improved last year but still not great. Especially as the injuries started racking up, Keenum had to cover a lot of protection flaws with his mobility that Cousins does not have. If they want to protect their investment in Cousins, then they need to keep investing in the OL, so that he has the time/space to operate. Making that tradeoff and taking Hughes does not sit well with me. I hope he works out and stays out of trouble, I just question how much payoff there will be in the near future. He's supposed to add value as a return man, which is something, but you shouldn't be drafting guys in the 1st because of their return ability.

Overall, I'd give the pick a C. Hopefully, they can have a better 2nd and 3rd day. I really wanted to get more picks, since they lost a lot of depth this year, but it seems like they were stuck with no good options to trade out to.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Here's a cool thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7pMjBacpsc

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
gently caress the lions...but that’s actually really cool.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I was very ANGEREY last night but now i'm seeing this guy's stats from college and what a cool dude he is and now I, too, am coming around on the pick.

If the Lions O-line can stay healthy (lol) then Stafford might not get sacked 329 times a year, anymore.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
That Lions pick actually seems like the only non-reach o line pick in the first round besides Quenton Nelson. Besides, they need to resurrect that run game so so bad and the only way to do that is improve the offensive line. It's not sexy but to me it seems pretty solid

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/BarstoolUA/status/989589962545942529

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Lions trade with Pats to grab Kerryon Johnson, RB, Auburn.

https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/990015854191443968

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Packers gonna be tough to throw on in a few years.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Fuuuck I love it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/990018978197135360

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I hate the pick but love the jacket

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

one Very Fast Chum and one Pretty Fast Pal, not bad

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I still don't like the pick but this is cool:

https://twitter.com/PrideOfDetroit/status/990031310700892161?s=19

e: garbage pick F--

https://twitter.com/AyeyoKEJO/status/979099724509843456?s=19

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 28, 2018

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Lions going oline -> RB seems smart imo

Packers going CB/CB seems smart too.

NFC North gonna be wild

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

It's hard not to get excited about the Bears draft.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

drat, I guess bad tweets really don't cost a player anymore.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PupsOfWar posted:

one Very Fast Chum and one Pretty Fast Pal, not bad

I figure Tramon Williams and House will start, initially, while the rookies get their bearings

Then it'll look like King on the X, Jackson on the Z, Alexander on the slot? For the next few seasons? Not bad.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Paracaidas posted:

drat, I guess bad tweets really don't cost a player anymore.

I was completely unaware of it until maybe 6 months ago but apparently well done is how most african americans like their steak.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Bears showing that they absolutely don't believe in Grasu or White (which is good as far as white is concerned, Anthony Miller is the new Tyreek Evans)

I can't believe they didn't take Landry or Josh Jackson but I guess an inside linebacker is gonna fix the pass defense?

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 28, 2018

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Packers took OLB Oren Burks in the 3rd.

Brian Gutekunst wants the D

and I love it

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

ill admit it would be nice to win a couple of games without having to rely on Aaron Rodgers Magic Bullshit for once

dude's gotta run out of 9th-level spell slots eventually, I don't care what metamagic feats he tricked the DM into letting him have

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

Bears showing that they absolutely don't believe in Grasu or White (which is good as far as white is concerned, Anthony Miller is the new Tyreek Evans)

I can't believe they didn't take Landry or Josh Jackson but I guess an inside linebacker is gonna fix the pass defense?

I think they are all in on rebuilding the offense this season. I really wanted Landry, but watching YouTube clips of Daniels, I get it.

I'm really hyped for Anthony Miller. From the limited clips I've seen, dude runs very good routes.

Get a couple secondary players and another edge rusher and I'll be pretty happy.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

seeing that Burks will probably play ILB rather than OLB in a 3-4

That's fine - I am sufficiently uncomfortable with Jake Ryan as the starter than I can applaud giving him competition even if the rookie doesn't pan out. Plus it's an injury-prone position.

Still wanted a pass-catcher, but didn't see many good or even decent names on the board after Miller was taken.
might take a good-athlete-but-bad-at-football project type (st. brown? maybe the missouri guy?) late and hope philbin can do magic with them.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

PupsOfWar posted:

ill admit it would be nice to win a couple of games without having to rely on Aaron Rodgers Magic Bullshit for once

dude's gotta run out of 9th-level spell slots eventually, I don't care what metamagic feats he tricked the DM into letting him have

All I want is a top 10 defense that actually shuts down offenses

I'm so, so, so loving sick of "bend but don't and still break"

I'm completely on the side of Mike Daniels when he goes on repeatedly about the Packers defense needing a nasty attitude

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

All I want is a top 10 defense that actually shuts down offenses

I'm so, so, so loving sick of "bend but don't and still break"

I'm completely on the side of Mike Daniels when he goes on repeatedly about the Packers defense needing a nasty attitude

top-10 feels greedy,
and unrealistic when you look at some of the personnel on some of the other units in the league

I might settle for a top-15 unit
or a higher top-20 one that can at least create turnovers

with rodgers that is probably Good Enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Pettine is really good. I am legitimately worried about your defense next year. I only take consolation in the fact that I think your offense is going to seriously miss Jordy and regress.

Or so I hope

• Locked thread