Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

F4 is perfectly fun, the shooting and looting is as good as ever and I do quite like parts of the perk system; the gunplay is much much better and I wish that could be ported back into New Vegas.

However it’s incredibly badly written and most of the quests are pretty boring, and the conversation system sucks.

The goon vitriol for it is a bit OTT and it’s a fun game; I even ended up getting the platinum trophy for it. But it does have legitimate flaws and overall felt more joyless than New Vegas or 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My biggest problem with F4 isn't that it's a bad Fallout game (it is undeniably a bad fallout game) but that it's not even particularly successful at the game it's trying to be. The RPG mechanics drag down the shooting and looting, and the side quests and things that should be driving exploration are handled in the most boring ways. You don't go and do interesting things you just crawl through another plain shooting area. There's nothing that is very interesting to find or interactive with. Exploration really only works when there are things to find and FO4 doesn't really do that. Even if you give it the benefit of a doubt and don't judge it as a fallout game it could be so much better than it is.

Sininu posted:

That's was me with most movies I used to watch. Never thought much about stories or acting and just liked the action.

Lots of people do this by default and it's fine but I'm always sad when you point stuff out to people and they double down and ignore it, claiming that it must be good because it's popular. I'm glad you found inner peace :pram:

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Fallout 4 is an open world shooter, not an RPG ala New Vegas, and if you adjust your expectations accordingly, you're better off. I enjoyed my time completing Fallout 4, but I didn't bother with the dlc and I can't imagine I'll ever replay it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I tend not to look to the goonmind for game reviews so I'm not really aware of the consensus, but for me FO4 was OK. It was exactly what I expected, perhaps a slight improvement on what I expected, which was just a reskinned FO3.

It was an objectively better game than FO3, but then it was so many years later and achieves nothing worthwhile extra, so you could even say it's worse contextually. Eventually I just get tired of playing, same as Oblivion and Skyrim and just give up halfway through the main quest due to the gameplay becoming staid, and the writing/story ranging from boring to cringeworthy.

Comparatively, I was a practical completionist around New Vegas, so really it just shows you how incompetent Bethesda are. It's amazing to me that they can have so much money and put so much effort into making these gigantic open worlds, stuffed with detail and love, and then tie the whole thing together with the most drab and mediocre quest lines and narratives. You'd think after however many years they'd be able to afford to hire even a single talented writer, but apparently not.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Lets not forget that FO4 has a very badly tacked on settlement creation module. I hated that poo poo so much.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I just want to play a FO4 thats better than what we got. I want more interesting locations. I want all the mechanics to support this exploration/looting experience. I don't want radiant quests, and RPG mechanics. I want them to have the conviction to make a game that actually is all about the stuff that people love in their games, recently. Since they've forgotten how to make an interesting RPG, or never knew in the first place.

I'll still mourn that I won't get my real falout games anymore, but hey pillars of eternity 2 comes out in a week and CRPGs have had a beautiful renaissance so at least I can go to other games to get my fix.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Agent355 posted:

Lots of people consume media without thinking or caring about it's quality. They here it's from a big studio and is very popular so they assume it's good.

It's not complicated.

Yeah, just look at all the people who are gushing about a cynically calculated big studio mashup of 2016's biggest gaming buzzwords and the corpse of a franchise that was the polar opposite of Dark Souls Combat and Dad Feels.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Monster Hunter Combat.

Much more popular series gets to name it.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i loved fallout 4. building pretty little settlements and setting them up properly was a lot of fun, as was just wandering around and seeing what you could find. the story was pretty forgettable though.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, just look at all the people who are gushing about a cynically calculated big studio mashup of 2016's biggest gaming buzzwords and the corpse of a franchise that was the polar opposite of Dark Souls Combat and Dad Feels.

Companies taking all the good ideas about gaming and putting them into a single video game is awesome. More of this please.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dying Light is the game Fallout 4 tried and failed to be.

Both are open-world games heavy with combat and looting, and takes place after an apocalypse.

In Bethesda's Fallout there's tons of free-stuff in bombed-houses no one thought to loot 200 years after the apocalypse. In DL the zombie-apocalypse started only a few months ago so it makes sense to find supplies everywhere.

In F4 no matter what perks you pick your character will end up an incestous blob. DL doesn't pretend to be an RPG and while you can learn every skill they do more than just buff a stat. Learning to stomp a zombie's brains out or grapple onto a roof completely shifts how you play the game.

The inventory and UI in F4 is simply atrocious because no one thought to play-test it, or considered against having encumbrance when the game encourages you to pick up junk. In DL the UI is simple to navigate, you can pick up as much junk as you like, and the only limit is the number of weapons you can hold.

F4 pretends that your character has choice and agency and grafts an awkward linear family-drama onto an open-world without success. DL doesn't have a good story either but it's completely skippable and doesn't lie to you about having a choice.

F4 runs on a creaking game-engine that was made when your grandmother was still a virgin. DL's more recent in-house engine performs incredibly well on PC.

F4 disappointed so many goons when it cut down all the role-playing elements that made it's series famous in favour of a more generic experience. DL is an all-but-name sequel to Dead Island, a game no one liked so nobody could get disappointed.

Never played FO4 based on the disappointing buzz, but Dying Light was dope as gently caress and I had a ton of fun with it. Great game A+.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Len posted:

My favorite thing about F4 is that people I talk to in real life have all enjoyed it across the board and that years later it still makes goons angry

Goons are video game hipsters.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I liked the gun upgrades in FO4. But once you get like a dozen hours in you have more than enough materials to instantly upgrade any new gun to it's most powerful configuration.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Talk poo poo about a Bethesda game and Guy Mann shall appear

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

Lets not forget that FO4 has a very badly tacked on settlement creation module. I hated that poo poo so much.

I never understood why i was supposed to do that poo poo. I built some houses, planted some poo poo and...got some tomatoes or something out of it? And i'm supposed to collect resources to build more poo poo to get some more insignificant poo poo. Yeah no, that was boring within an hour.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Who What Now posted:

I liked the gun upgrades in FO4. But once you get like a dozen hours in you have more than enough materials to instantly upgrade any new gun to it's most powerful configuration.

there was never any reason to use anything other than the deliverer though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shai-Hulud posted:

I never understood why i was supposed to do that poo poo. I built some houses, planted some poo poo and...got some tomatoes or something out of it? And i'm supposed to collect resources to build more poo poo to get some more insignificant poo poo. Yeah no, that was boring within an hour.

I've said it several times, I like the idea of fostering settlements, but for what FO4 pretended to be, it should have been handled by the game. Reach population level 4, and complete a certain quest, then some more houses show up next time you're there, and you can now collect mirelurk meat every 2 game days.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah holy poo poo they really should of tied it into the story. Have you rebuilding the wasteland/settlements as the main way to unlock leads and hints about your ice ice baby.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do you think making it mandatory would resolve anyone's problems with the system.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Do you think making it mandatory would resolve anyone's problems with the system.
Of course not, but it would of given it a loving purpose for existing then instead of just stealing a cool mod idea and jamming it in.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

They really shouldn't have just reused the pipboy as is for Fallout 4's primary interface. The fact that armour is now in seven pieces instead of two means more inventory management. The fact that junk is now valuable but has weight (if you don't mod it out) leads to more inventory management. The fact that the pipboy screen only takes up 30 percent of your screen is still a problem. Imagine if the base metagame from MGSV was done in a crappy pipboy instead of the i-droid.

People had criticism for Witcher 3's ui and devs responded with a wonderful QoL overhaul. Fallout 4 has a worse version of Fallout 3's UI and the devs just expect the modder's to fix it like they did with Skyrim.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Bethesda games bad actually? More at 11.

Edit: this is coming from a person who has a strong love hate relationship with these things, being that I'm currently putting a lot of hours into Skyrim VR, mostly because of the novelty, but this is getting old real fast with how they keep releasing games that are broken in exactly the same ways and keep getting a pass because modders fix it for them and because the games are big, as if that was still an excuse in a world with The Witcher 3 and Zelda: BoTW.

Glagha has a new favorite as of 21:39 on Apr 27, 2018

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Who What Now posted:

As if someone with an Undertale av has any room to talk about the quality of games or game related content.

Okay thaaaat's why you have the red text.

e: To contribute, the one little thing I liked about FO4 was Dogmeat, always Dogmeat. Especially when he pulls a stuffed bear out to play with when idle.

Neuronyx has a new favorite as of 21:47 on Apr 27, 2018

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
FPSes make me nauseated now and so do some third-person games. Top-downs and isometrics are still okay.

Anyway, I bought Rise of the Tombraider a month ago on sale. It's a third-person game but had so much camera sway just from running around that it made me nauseated. It had a slider to tune this and other visual queues. I put the slider all the way to the bottom and I was able to play it without getting sick.
I had the first rebooted Tombraider game and tried to play it again. It does not have that slider or I just couldn't find it, and it makes me sick.
Agents of Mayhem did not have a slider or a way to turn it off and it made me sick.

Games that let you tune or disable the camera sway / head sway and camera shake are awesome.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Glagha posted:

Bethesda games bad actually? More at 11.

Edit: this is coming from a person who has a strong love hate relationship with these things, being that I'm currently putting a lot of hours into Skyrim VR, mostly because of the novelty, but this is getting old real fast with how they keep releasing games that are broken in exactly the same ways and keep getting a pass because modders fix it for them and because the games are big, as if that was still an excuse in a world with The Witcher 3 and Zelda: BoTW.

I think it’s less about modding and more that absolutely no one else makes poo poo like Bethesda does. I really only ever play vanilla, same with thousands of other people, and nobody really does massive scope with tons of poo poo to find like they do.

That might actually be a good thing, but sometimes you really get the itch for some good ol Gamebryo jank.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Bethesda is the only company that makes games on that scale. THus they are the only option, thus people play them.

They are not good examples of those sort of games and tons of people could do them better, but since bethesda is the only one that makes them fucktons of people default to 'they are good'.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Except that's not true? What does Fallout 4 have that say, The Witcher 3 didn't? A weapon mod system? Like, the scale of Bethesda games is a weak defense when people are releasing huge, hundred hour games with quests and character development every month, except when their games are released they aren't literally broken and waiting for an unpaid fan to fix it for them.

I think BoTW is every bit as huge and ambitious as a Fallout or Skyrim but the game is fully functional all on it's own, the combat is better, and the 100 or so dungeons in it are all almost entirely unique with their own challenges and content.

Maybe this was better back during Morrowind and Oblivion, but they're coasting on their own success, and I'm hoping people are going to figure out that Bethesda keeps releasing Oblivion with slight engine tweaks and better water textures and it's but good enough anymore to buy a game that frequently crashes and hits game ending bugs every single playthrough.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Much like far cry goons have been clamouring for the Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises to collapse, but they consistently improve their sales every instalment.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I liked Fallout 4. It wasn't as good as New Vegas, granted, but I liked the companions, the gunplay, and some of the quests, like the creepy Lovecraft mine, or the immortal family (except for the end, because the dad was very disappointing).

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It's just the usual where people get a lot angrier at wasted potential than abject failures. Honestly, if they were just dreadful, they would die off or people wouldn't harp on about it. Instead, people play a game that is half-good half-bad and can't stop obsessing about how much better it could be.

I'm exactly as guilty of it. Personally, I really was not happy after playing Deus Ex: HR despite the fact that in some ways it was a great game and extremely well polished because I hated the way that choices were irrelevant and massively over-sold pre-release, and that the game railroaded you into playing sneaky/hacky types by giving you something ludicrous like triple or more XP for playing that way.

Then you find out that half the skills are useless anyway, so there was no need to remotely min-max it. Then the ending is just offensively bad, much worse than ME3's even. Welp.

As much fun as it is to talk about poo poo that sucks in games, there's lots of threads for that. I've recently been on a kick playing some of the Endless games, specifically Legends and ES2. I really love the creativity in their games. Each playable faction in their games is pretty much genuinely interesting in their own right, with unique playstyles or at least many unique gimmicks. That plus the way that there is so much flexibility and freedom and variance in each start means they have much more replay value for me than a normal 4x game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I gotta say that accounting for everything, nowadays I actually have great admiration for Bethesda. They make the blandest, most boring 1st Party games and rake millions from it but then funnel their support into the spectacular 2nd Party games. After Dishonored, Prey, Doom, TEW and Wolfenstein they can port Skyrim how many times they want, gently caress it, they earned that right.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Glagha posted:

Except that's not true? What does Fallout 4 have that say, The Witcher 3 didn't?

Combat that makes you want to kill enemies, not yourself.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Leavemywife posted:

I liked Fallout 4. It wasn't as good as New Vegas, granted, but I liked the companions, the gunplay, and some of the quests, like the creepy Lovecraft mine, or the immortal family (except for the end, because the dad was very disappointing).

yeah

FO4 is no NV, but it’s reasonably enjoyable and doesn’t crash every five minutes, or suffer as severely from some memory bugs. So I can keep a save file going for a long time and obsessively complete all the DLC (but not the main story, the hell with that).

Little thing I liked about FO4: companion quests were easier for me than in NV. In NV, some companions like the same, non-repeatable actions, so you may not be able to trigger their quests easily. In FO4, every companion responds positively to some kind of repeatable action, so I can live out my fantasy of being best friends with all of them.

NV is fantastic all the way. FO4 is great for doing menial poo poo — settlement managing, running through dungeons repeatedly — while I listen to a podcast.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

Combat that makes you want to kill enemies, not yourself.

PYF: Bad Opinions

I too prefer fighting enemies that move and act like janky animatronics and lobotomites over being challenged by anything resembling good AI.

The Deathclaws will never not look awesome though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There is nothing challenging about the Witcher 3’s combat except willing yourself to get through that garbage so you can play the good parts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Glagha posted:

Except that's not true? What does Fallout 4 have that say, The Witcher 3 didn't? A weapon mod system? Like, the scale of Bethesda games is a weak defense when people are releasing huge, hundred hour games with quests and character development every month, except when their games are released they aren't literally broken and waiting for an unpaid fan to fix it for them.

I think BoTW is every bit as huge and ambitious as a Fallout or Skyrim but the game is fully functional all on it's own, the combat is better, and the 100 or so dungeons in it are all almost entirely unique with their own challenges and content.

Maybe this was better back during Morrowind and Oblivion, but they're coasting on their own success, and I'm hoping people are going to figure out that Bethesda keeps releasing Oblivion with slight engine tweaks and better water textures and it's but good enough anymore to buy a game that frequently crashes and hits game ending bugs every single playthrough.

Personally, the reason Fallout 4 falters in my eyes is actually that they failed to deliver on something that Bethesda's always had at their heart, yet the modern competitors never even tried at: That I can play my own character, my own way. That's been a key element of Bethesda games up until Fallout 4, that it never really tells you who your character is or isn't. It's something Bioware used to do fairly well while giving your character a distinct role, until they sort of shed that in Mass Effect, but I feel like Bethesda were bothering with the reins even less until Fallout 4 (and to a lesser extent Skyrim, but Skyrim's problems there are a lot further under the surface).

But Fallout 4 sheds a lot of that, and a big part of it is giving the player a very explicit character, role, and connection to the world. Suddenly you're not whoever you want to be, you are explicitly a parent looking for their son. And unlike in Fallout 3 and New Vegas, where the fact you're looking for your dad/looking for a stolen packagecan be easily pushed aside or fit into any given character, the fact you're explicitly looking for your son comes up a lot. And at least to me, when that freedom to make a character to your wants is taken away from you, you start noticing that a lot of other things were, too. You can't make a skill-check-focused non-violent character because there just aren't any that actually satisfyingly solve problems. Your actual method of playing the game feels sort of prescriptive too, you're locked out of extremely crucial things for the game unless you invest in certain stats.

But like I said, this problem doesn't necessarily exist for other games, because they never tried to be that freeform with character in the first place. I haven't played The Witcher, but I know that Geralt has a very specific personality and skillset, I was never at any point promised by CD Projekt Red that I can be my own Witcher. BOTW fares better, because Link is already a very vaguely-defined and freeform character, but similarly it never promised that you could play your own Link, and every BOTW playthrough will play generally the same (also, I have other problems with BOTW that stops me playing it again). If anything, the game that gets closest to the freeform nature I want from Bethesda games is MGSV, which has a LOT of varied ways to solve problems that aren't necessarily out of character. But that's not really somebody beating Bethesda at their own appeal, and more somebody adapting that appeal into a totally different genre.

Fallout 4 is a good game, but it didn't deliver in the one area I ask for it to, that nobody else in the area really tries for.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Me 60 hours in after having my mind break when I watched the world die over the course of a morning, a trail of bodies miles long behind me:

"Oh yeah, a son..."

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Taerkar posted:

Me 60 hours in after having my mind break when I watched the world die over the course of a morning, a trail of bodies miles long behind me:

"Oh yeah, a son..."

Almost every NPC interaction in the game has at least one "Where's Shaun" button and a good chunk of the non-shaun buttons have your character asking about him anyway. There's basically only three things to in fallout 4 at all. Walk into a place and kill everyone. Talk to NPCs about Shaun. Or pointlessly build settlements.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I wonder how long people who complain about Shaun play. I mean yeah sure, right after being unfrozen your character talks about Shaun. Then like 4 hours later you find the kid and then you still have a bunch of game to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
EDIT: ^^Steam says 80 hours on the dot. I beat the game. Shaun never stops mattering.

Nuebot posted:

Almost every NPC interaction in the game has at least one "Where's Shaun" button and a good chunk of the non-shaun buttons have your character asking about him anyway. There's basically only three things to in fallout 4 at all. Walk into a place and kill everyone. Talk to NPCs about Shaun. Or pointlessly build settlements.

And if you decided to dump-stat Charisma like I did, because previous Bethesda-engine games have taught you that social stats are kind of all-or-nothing in usefulness, you don't get to do much of that third thing!