Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

barkbell posted:

What’s up with all these gym bros being crazy pro-military and reactionary. Wendler, Rippetoe, etc always talking about some dumb bullshit about a man has to be this or that and skinny jeans are not manly. My gym even has marine flags waving around. Why can’t they chill out.

I think it depends where you are and who they are. Some of them are ornery old men from East Texas.

I remember watching a bench press form video by I think Mark Bell, and at the end there was a bonus thing where he was saying "Yeah 'everything's fine,' or what...what's that retarded poo poo people say nowadays? I hate that poo poo."

"It's all good" was the phrase he was looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtX2lz9pLeM

Wtf happens at the beginning

It’s my nightmare

Not even that much weight

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

barkbell posted:

What’s up with all these gym bros being crazy pro-military and reactionary. Wendler, Rippetoe, etc always talking about some dumb bullshit about a man has to be this or that and skinny jeans are not manly. My gym even has marine flags waving around. Why can’t they chill out.

We dont really get much of this in Canada. We get lots of rig pigs instead, which is honestly probably worse because of the added cocaine.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

barkbell posted:

I think it's more of an internet weightlifting thing. most gyms themselves are fairly chill.

internet weightlifting culture is so lovely

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
elliot rodger posted on bodybuilding.com

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtX2lz9pLeM

Wtf happens at the beginning

It’s my nightmare

Not even that much weight

Either knees just noped right out under the weight or he gets two new plastic knees.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
finally the tutorial we have all been waiting for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD2hOtKGV84

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chinatown posted:

finally the tutorial we have all been waiting for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD2hOtKGV84

I’m biceptual

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Bodybuilders etc definitely lean right because of the whole "I made this, I sculpted my body out of sheer willpower by myself"

Similar thing to small business owners really

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I thought it was because they overworked their dominant side :v:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Can't we just called them neanderthal meatheads and move on.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
All my sides are the dominant ones.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I got some PRs last night. Woop woop!

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Thesaurus posted:

I think it's more of an internet weightlifting thing. most gyms themselves are fairly chill.

internet weightlifting culture is so lovely

iirc rippetoe is also a libertarian nut job which would explain much of his commentary

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I got some PRs last night. Woop woop!

im becoming less poo poo at the only exercises i can do press and bench because ive crippled both my knees!!!

one trick the experts dont want you to know

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I'm trying 5/3/1 and I definitely have doubts about training where only one set per day is anywhere close to max effort, but AMRAP of 385 deadlift definitely made me very sore (I got 9)
I'm sure it's just unfamiliarity though after only doing sets of 5 for years

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TenementFunster posted:

elliot rodger posted on bodybuilding.com

Yo I remember seeing that. Didn't he get real weird about how long his penis was?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
bodybuilding.com is huge. Pretty much every internet meme that didn't start on 4chan started on misc ( Reddit doesn't create anything original)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
i've been taking frogtech supplements for about a year and i feel like i'm about to croak!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

feelix posted:

bodybuilding.com is huge. Pretty much every internet meme that didn't start on 4chan started on misc ( Reddit doesn't create anything original)

are you saying that anything that didn't start on 4chan started somewhere else?

How is that helpful to anyone?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

are you saying that anything that didn't start on 4chan started somewhere else?

How is that helpful to anyone?

"misc" is the off topic subforum of bodybuilding.com, you loving normie

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

feelix posted:

"misc" is the off topic subforum of bodybuilding.com, you loving normie

Are you an incel? The Canadian News told me about you

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

feelix posted:

I'm trying 5/3/1 and I definitely have doubts about training where only one set per day is anywhere close to max effort, but AMRAP of 385 deadlift definitely made me very sore (I got 9)

You'll be doing much fewer reps in a few months. I wouldn't be afraid to do like +20 pounds per cycle on legs if your'e getting 9 on the 5/3/1 day.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

bamhand posted:

You'll be doing much fewer reps in a few months. I wouldn't be afraid to do like +20 pounds per cycle on legs if your'e getting 9 on the 5/3/1 day.

nah this was the 5/5/5 day, I won't get anywhere close to 9 on my 5/3/1 days

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Yo I remember seeing that. Didn't he get real weird about how long his penis was?
it was quite possibly the best and most quotable self-own in the history of online:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

feelix posted:

You are supposed to be doing more than 1 hard set. Unless by max effort you literally mean going all out, but most workout programs have you not going all out. Most of the variations of 5/3/1 like BBB should have some more sets that while maybe not RPE 10 or something, should still be pretty tough. If you are just doing the main 5/3/1 sets it likely won't be enough.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Did my first strongman competition today. Came 3rd in the open weight class. Up against some monsters. Lol cardio and lol tyre flipping wtf

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

You are supposed to be doing more than 1 hard set. Unless by max effort you literally mean going all out, but most workout programs have you not going all out. Most of the variations of 5/3/1 like BBB should have some more sets that while maybe not RPE 10 or something, should still be pretty tough. If you are just doing the main 5/3/1 sets it likely won't be enough.

I mean yeah I work very hard on my assistance sets and get a pump and get sore, it's just strange to only have one max effort set of the lift you're trying to focus on. I don't really like the idea of BBB because it's
1) not enough upper body pulling, especially for someone with hosed shoulders like me
2) in my experience, doing sets of 10 makes you good at doing sets of 10 and has very little carry over to sets of 5 or less

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

feelix posted:

I mean yeah I work very hard on my assistance sets and get a pump and get sore, it's just strange to only have one max effort set of the lift you're trying to focus on. I don't really like the idea of BBB because it's
1) not enough upper body pulling, especially for someone with hosed shoulders like me
2) in my experience, doing sets of 10 makes you good at doing sets of 10 and has very little carry over to sets of 5 or less

Out of curiosity, why did you start on 5/3/1 if you're so skeptical about it? I love 5/3/1 because it's the perfect mix for me of "do exactly this" for half of it along with "sort of do whatever (within these parameters)" for the other half, but if you don't agree with the underlying principles or are skeptical of it working, there's plenty of programs to do so I'm not sure why you seem to want to be convinced to keep doing it.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I've been doing 3x5 and just trying to go as heavy as I can every workout for many many years and I'm still making progress (I've had many resets due to injuries and surgery, but I'm currently the strongest I've ever been) so I'm just curious what it's like to be on a program with actual structured periodization

feelix fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 28, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
My guess is that programming actually matters very little for anyone but the most advanced lifters and as long as you do the thing you wanna get strong at a lot you'll get stronger at it

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

feelix posted:

My guess is that programming actually matters very little for anyone but the most advanced lifters and as long as you do the thing you wanna get strong at a lot you'll get stronger at it

I think in general you're right, in that consistency is the most important thing. That's why I asked why you started 5/3/1 if you seem skeptical, since running a program you like and believe in will help with the consistency and there's enough programs that work well that you don't need to do one you don't like.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

feelix posted:

I've been doing 3x5 and just trying to go as heavy as I can every workout for many many years and I'm still making progress (I've had many resets due to injuries and surgery, but I'm currently the strongest I've ever been) so I'm just curious what it's like to be on a program with actual structured periodization

According to that recovery book by the RP guys you’re probably doing ok as long as you’re making progress, maybe some extra time off hard training could’ve helped you progress faster but it’s hard to know without a bunch of markers to check

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I do like the idea of having just one set to go ham on, with 3x5 it's like "hell yeah rep PR... now do it again two more times"

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Bench press day. Time to find out how bad my shoulder is some more.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Got 10 x275 on my 5/5/5 squat day and still had one or two in the tank

Ok this is fun

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

feelix posted:

BBB is just the supplemental lift(so just more of the main lift). You are supposed to figure out your other poo poo as far as pulling. Just super set any pulls you like with every push set. And you can do 5x3@90% TM or 5x5@80% TM if you don't like sets of 10. there are a million variations of 5/3/1. I'm not super advanced or even good at lifting but the 5x3 stuff drug my rear end out of novice and into intermediate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Personally I can’t understand not going 120% all the time beasting 24/7 so this “go at 80%” stuff sounds like baby talk to me smh