Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

My understanding is that he wrote a script and then David Ayers did a pass on it without any of Landis' input. So whatever he was talking about isn't what the finished movie ended up being. Although I doubt it would be that great either as he hasn't really shown a great talent for deep screenwriting.

Do you mean Landis or Ayer there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

K. Waste posted:

The plot is that there have always been orcs.

Shrek is already a commentary on race relations. In Bright, it's no longer a metaphor.

I honestly doubt that reading will make sense if orcs always existed. It sounds like you're saying that nothing is different except there are orcs now. Race, creed, sex, everything is exactly the same. Plus orcs. How is that a commentary on anything?

I guess I have to watch it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do you mean Landis or Ayer there?

Neither really.

Though I don’t understand how people think some magical message was erased when it’s more likely Landis just overhyped his rather simple movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Krankenstyle posted:

I honestly doubt that reading will make sense if orcs always existed. It sounds like you're saying that nothing is different except there are orcs now. Race, creed, sex, everything is exactly the same. Plus orcs. How is that a commentary on anything?

I guess I have to watch it.

Well, no, plenty of things are different - the point is that these differences are the superficial content of generic fantasy, but the ideological context is unchanged. Generic fantasy is a veiled representation of dominant ideology.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's fine but at that point it's just an (unusually incisive?) SNL sketch or something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

K. Waste posted:

The funny thing, though, is that Bright considers religion. Even the Orc gangs and street artists, with their invocation of the Dark Lord and swearing of blood oaths, function just as much as cults as we might consider a gang.

Moreover, I think it's important to note how, despite superficially depicting what should be pagan societies - and certainly being inspired by pagan culture - Tolkien fantasy and world-building is overtly a veiled analogy for Christianity. No pagan is preoccupied with some diametric opposition between good and evil, between gods of peace and 'Dark Lords' and such. Again, generic fantasy literature is overtly a production of Western ideology, where the history of Christianity dominates as source of religious justification for any number of historical events.

In the case of Bright, the characters are explicitly not referring to a pre-Christian phenomenon. The spiritual conflict and mythology that informs the oppression of the orcs coincided with the emergence of Christianity.

Have you seen the HBO show, The Leftovers? It had some great commentary in regards to religion/cults/society.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

ruddiger posted:

Have you seen the HBO show, The Leftovers? It had some great commentary in regards to religion/cults/society.

I don't really watch TV at all but I'll check it out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

K. Waste posted:

Well, no, plenty of things are different - the point is that these differences are the superficial content of generic fantasy, but the ideological context is unchanged. Generic fantasy is a veiled representation of dominant ideology.

Alright I'm going to watch it over the weekend. Feel free to send a message or two about stuff I should pay attention to

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

K. Waste posted:

Your second sentence doesn't follow the first, and also doesn't make sense on its own. Why would the existence of one other preclude the oppression and discrimination against others? Do you imagine that oppression is just the result of arbitrary prejudice?

it all follows and it does make sense on its own.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Groovelord Neato posted:

it all follows and it does make sense on its own.

If a world in which orcs serve as the other likely wouldn't have racism, why would will smith's character live with them?

Why would the existence of orcs likely prevent the development of racism?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CharlestheHammer posted:

Neither really.

Though I don’t understand how people think some magical message was erased when it’s more likely Landis just overhyped his rather simple movie.

You can read the original Landis script and Ayer's initial rewrite if you're really interested in comparing the differences, I posted links to them in the Bright thread.

Lindsey Ellis also did a video that explored a bunch of things including some of the aspects of the different scripts that got carried over into the final version where they no longer make all that much sense and actively work against some of the things they were trying to achieve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLOxQxMnEz8

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

K. Waste posted:

If a world in which orcs serve as the other likely wouldn't have racism, why would will smith's character live with them?

because with elves and orcs and the other species humans would just see themselves as "humans". skin color would be akin to hair color.

the orcs are obvious stand-ins for black people. that's why it would make more sense for him to live around them if he's in a "bad" neighborhood

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 28, 2018

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

because with elves and orcs and the other species humans would just see themselves as "humans". skin color would be akin to hair color.

This is basically what happens in Shadowrun: Humanis Policlub is basically the successor to the Klu Klux Klan (with Alamos 20,000 as the more militant terrorist wing) and boast an interracial mix of humans. It's even mentioned that skin color matters nothing compared to the dude who popped into a 7' tall horned troglodyte with bulletproof skin and can bench press cars, so traditional racism moved from discriminating against black and brown people and toward halfers (dwarves), dandelion eaters (elves), trogs (orcs and trolls) and general pointyears (most metahumanity has pointed ears, elves being super prominent).

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Groovelord Neato posted:

the orcs are obvious stand-ins for black people. that's why it would make more sense for him to live around them if he's in a "bad" neighborhood

Why would the existence of other humanoid species lead to a unified and unprejudiced conception of humanity, or, furthermore, to different human groups not developing ideologies of superiority to other humans?

The orcs are not stand-ins for black people. Black people exist in the movie, and are also the victim of systemic oppression and socio-economic inequality. Smith's character is not defined by his living in a "bad" neighborhood, but since you're already pitching this hypothetical scenario where the existence of elves and orcs ends racism, why would he still live in a bad neighborhood? Again, are you under the impression that racism is merely arbitrary and superficial prejudice? That socio-economic inequality is not intrinsically reflective of racial hierarchy?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Groovelord Neato posted:

will smith should've been living next to orcs not black "gangsters". in a world where we had an other like orcs racism likely wouldn;t exist.

Good logic. I hadn't considered it but the existence of black people is a great explanation for why no one is racist towards middle eastern people

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahahah holy poo poo. two brain trusts in a row.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

K. Waste posted:

Why would the existence of other humanoid species lead to a unified and unprejudiced conception of humanity, or, furthermore, to different human groups not developing ideologies of superiority to other humans?

The orcs are not stand-ins for black people. Black people exist in the movie, and are also the victim of systemic oppression and socio-economic inequality. Smith's character is not defined by his living in a "bad" neighborhood, but since you're already pitching this hypothetical scenario where the existence of elves and orcs ends racism, why would he still live in a bad neighborhood? Again, are you under the impression that racism is merely arbitrary and superficial prejudice? That socio-economic inequality is not intrinsically reflective of racial hierarchy?

It's the other way 'round, Kenneth

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahahah holy poo poo. two brain trusts in a row.

You're unironically presenting the Ronald Reagan "if only there were aliens we could unite as Earthlings" argument but you don't even have dementia

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahaha no im not. in bright the orcs have been here for thousands of years.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Racism is not about numb nuts biotruths tribe vs tribe poo poo. Creating more people to exploit that look less like you will not eliminate exploitation of somewhat more similar looking people

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Groovelord Neato posted:

Again, why would the existence of orcs prevent the development of racism?

Like, full stop, let's even forget the fact the systematic oppression of orcs and socio-economic privilege of elves is already racism, that these are the veiled archetypes of this ideology.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It would depend on how many Orcs there are, their economic station vis-a-vis the "average" American, etc.

Elves are Jews.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

porfiria posted:

Elves are Jews.

Then why do they look like a Nazi's wet dream?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

K. Waste posted:

The main elf guy is a Latino Elf (+1 WIS/+1 DEX).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

human skin isnt an issue in any version of planet of the apes

explain

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

will smith should've been living next to orcs not black "gangsters". in a world where we had an other like orcs racism likely wouldn;t exist.

I guess if you assume that the orcs all lived on top of the minerals white people wanted and the black people didn't live on top of anything anyone wanted

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AdmiralViscen posted:

I guess if you assume that the orcs all lived on top of the minerals white people wanted and the black people didn't live on top of anything anyone wanted

Orcs in Bright are shown to literally bench pressing cars and barely look human with their prominent tusks, receded noses, and patchy multi-colored skin, that's probably a more determining factor in discrimination than whatever scientific racism was invented to dehumanize black people.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 28, 2018

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

K. Waste posted:

Shuuuuut uuuppppppp

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Unoriginal Name posted:

Shuuuuut uuuppppppp

It’s kind of interesting having someone try and understand racism who doesn’t understand humans.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

K. Waste posted:

Nobody would find Bright at all impactful if it were more like most other fantasy films, people already engage with it as a lazy approximation of Lord of the Rings and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and so on. The problem is that the film is clearly impactful, but the impact it leaves is subversive. The question effectively becomes "Why engage in subversion?" This is not a question of inherent quality, it's an ideological question. There is no reason why a fiction film shouldn't exploit the aesthetic and conventions of fantasy films in the context of social and political satire. The substance becomes not only to address social and political realities, but also their mythological substantiation.

There is no reason to perturb ourselves with questions of 'necessity.' It's just a movie. Movies are not necessary, they are substantial insofar as we use them to engage with and interpret the world around us. With Bright specifically, we see this persistent dichotomy that is constructed in its reception between 'real problems' and the apparently insubstantial content of myth-making. But the world is not solely made up of 'real problems,' systemic injustice and its imaginary justification are inextricable. The psychological and ideological dimensions of myth-making and fantasy are just as real as police brutality. Fiction filmmaking merely presents a rich opportunity to explore the socio-political reality of fantasy. The 'world-building' meme functions as a misdirection from this potential: Subversion is already implicitly insubstantial because it's not sufficiently immersive.

So we get into situations where many viewers are so preoccupied with potentials of the fantasy world that have nothing to do with the narrative that they don't even comprehend basic elements of the plot. For instance: Why do people want the wand if it'll destroy them if they touch it? But the film shows us on numerous occasions that, while the wand is quite dangerous, it can be handled safely by anyone who takes proper precautions in handling it, something that can be as simple as wearing a thin protection over your hand and holding it away from your body. More importantly, gangs such as Poison's want the wand because, in the world of Bright, the wand is not a MacGuffin - it is a particular manifestation of the magic that they see every day, but which more specifically buttresses the system of socio-economic inequality. Its intrinsic value is obvious despite the danger, and impoverished gangs who face violence and oppressive brutality every day are no strangers to living dangerously. The only people saying that there's no good reason for them to have it are exactly the sort of authorities that they have no reason to trust in the first place.

Star Vs The Forces of Evil already did basically this more interestingly.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s kind of interesting having someone try and understand racism who doesn’t understand humans.

It wasn't a good take when it was in the Bright thread either. If you need that many words to explain a movie about ORC COP, the writers have failed, on several levels.

Its a bad movie with hamfisted allegories. Also, its screenplay is disjointed garbage.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

K. Waste posted:

Actually makes a surprising amount of sense given a lot of Nazi attitudes towards Jews come off as basically jealousy when you look at them closely. Alternatively a privileged 'master race' dealio like a dominant minority race like in Apartheid African countries.

Shadowrun, of course, did it all so much better. Elves are basically the 'model minority' in that setting, and there's a handful of them that actually pre-date the whole magic coming back thing (since in Shadowrun, magic returned to the world and various humans turned into elves, dwarves, orcs and trolls, among other things. A lot of world governments collapsed in the process), though they're usually shown as loving everything up despite their privilege and abilities. And apparently they run Ireland.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Unoriginal Name posted:

It wasn't a good take when it was in the Bright thread either. If you need that many words to explain a movie about ORC COP, the writers have failed, on several levels.

"Why is the world of Bright so similar to our own world despite the existence of Orcs and Elves and whatnot? Because the movie is predicated on the supposition that the existence of Orcs, Elves, and whatnot would not in itself be enough to change the social and economic dynamics of the world."

There, fifty-three words.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

"Why is the world of Bright so similar to our own world despite the existence of Orcs and Elves and whatnot? Because the movie is predicated on the supposition that the existence of Orcs, Elves, and whatnot would not in itself be enough to change the social and economic dynamics of the world."

There, fifty-three words.

That is kind of dumb, but more efficient true.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I figured it out: The orcs were there all the time but they lived in like Albuquerque.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CharlestheHammer posted:

That is kind of dumb, but more efficient true.

You're not going to like a film if you can't get past its central conceit, but that alone isn't a mark against the film.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

muscles like this! posted:

My understanding is that he wrote a script and then David Ayers did a pass on it without any of Landis' input. So whatever he was talking about isn't what the finished movie ended up being. Although I doubt it would be that great either as he hasn't really shown a great talent for deep screenwriting.

Dirk Gently was good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

You're not going to like a film if you can't get past its central conceit, but that alone isn't a mark against the film.

Well yeah it’s a bad film so of course it’s central conceit is dumb.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

K. Waste posted:

The funny thing, though, is that Bright considers religion. Even the Orc gangs and street artists, with their invocation of the Dark Lord and swearing of blood oaths, function just as much as cults as we might consider a gang.
That's not really considering religion though, almost the opposite. By giving the orcs a separate religion to humans, you're setting yourself up for the very obvious question of "How did the orcs maintain their religion in the face of human dominance?" Being able to maintain their religion and culture (at least to some degree) would make their history of oppression very different from that of black people in America, whose culture is essentially based around rebuilding from the ground up after the near-obliteration of any traces of their origins, replaced by European culture, language, and religion.

Given that there's no reason to believe black people weren't enslaved (since it is just modern America but with orcs), that would imply that African Americans have somehow leapfrogged orcs in the social hierarchy in recent history, which leaves you with a pretty interesting question of how a people would even do that in the context of America. Is there a Wakanda sitting in Africa, forcing Americans to tolerate black people and the oppression of orcs is the result of American society needing a subjugated people to function? Or was the civil rights movement just MLK telling everyone that black people deserve better than orcs, and white America agreeing that it was actually pretty strange that they were making GBS threads so hard on Christian humans when you had pagan non-humans running around?

K. Waste posted:

Moreover, I think it's important to note how, despite superficially depicting what should be pagan societies - and certainly being inspired by pagan culture - Tolkien fantasy and world-building is overtly a veiled analogy for Christianity. No pagan is preoccupied with some diametric opposition between good and evil, between gods of peace and 'Dark Lords' and such. Again, generic fantasy literature is overtly a production of Western ideology, where the history of Christianity dominates as source of religious justification for any number of historical events.

In the case of Bright, the characters are explicitly not referring to a pre-Christian phenomenon. The spiritual conflict and mythology that informs the oppression of the orcs coincided with the emergence of Christianity.
Is anyone asking for reheated Tolkien though? This defense of the movie seems to hinge on that being what people are asking for, and not perhaps a questioning of precisely those foundations of Western ideology through its storytelling rather than merely assuming it would always come to look exactly like it does. (Which is essentially saying that Western ideology is natural/god-given)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Unoriginal Name posted:

If you need that many words to explain a movie about ORC COP, the writers have failed, on several levels.

"A movie is bad if it gives you a lot to talk about" is a pretty interesting talk for a discussion forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's generally more to easily talk about in bad movies than good ones, if only to figure out what went wrong.