Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Horrible Taste posted:

* The chain was made from the sound of a cat's footsteps, the beard of a woman, the spit of a bird, the breath of a fish, the roots of a mountain and the sinews of a bear.

I wondered that line in the game about the dwarves making an unbreakable chain from footsteps and hair was about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean he's not as well known as Thor or Loki or Odin but I knew who Tyr was before I'd heard of Baldr, and there have been a lot of games that have the "one-armed blacksmith" trope because of him.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Republicans posted:

I wondered that line in the game about the dwarves making an unbreakable chain from footsteps and hair was about.

I think there's a point where Kratos complains about the esoteric nature of some component a dwarf wants and he just gets laughed at for not understanding true craftsmanship.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The big problem with Norse mythology is that they weren't writers, unlike the Greeks who recorded every loving thing (the Odyssey and The Iliad are massive books available now at book stores).

So there's a good chance that Tyr may have been some incredibly important deity to the people of the time, but all we know from that time is what got written down in the Edda.

Which also means there could have been some loving amazing poo poo we will never get to hear because the one guy that thought to write this down never heard those bits of the oral history of the universe.

loving tragic.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah the real sadness is that Norse myth is probably a thousand times more detailed and storied than we'll ever be able to know

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Black August posted:

Yeah the real sadness is that Norse myth is probably a thousand times more detailed and storied than we'll ever be able to know

Yeah there were people getting high 24/7 in the mountains worshipping these dudes. I bet they had some loving good stories.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

JBP posted:

Yeah there were people getting high 24/7 in the mountains worshipping these dudes. I bet they had some loving good stories.

Imagine what loving Ragnarok would be if you could create the ultimate one of every single story told about it ever and amalgamate that

jesus gently caress it'd be a PROPER apocalypse

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

JBP posted:

Don't forget most of their big decisions were based on this.

Viking: "Should we just chill here and fish?"

Some lady that ate her weight in mushrooms: "A bear with 75 eyes made of teeth, birthed into this world when a scorpion jizzed into a cauldron of flaming snakes, told me you should behead the English king"

Viking: "Well of course he did. Alright gang, into the boats!"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
interestingly, that's one thing that the norse and native americans have in common - we also believe a lot of weird, often hilarious, poo poo because some of our priests were tripping balls 24/7

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The big problem with Norse mythology is that they weren't writers, unlike the Greeks who recorded every loving thing (the Odyssey and The Iliad are massive books available now at book stores).

So there's a good chance that Tyr may have been some incredibly important deity to the people of the time, but all we know from that time is what got written down in the Edda.

Which also means there could have been some loving amazing poo poo we will never get to hear because the one guy that thought to write this down never heard those bits of the oral history of the universe.

loving tragic.

heck if you compare what we know about greek myth compared to what records we know we dont have about greek myth it aint even that well preserved. Like one of the main sources is a playwright who wrote 90 plays and we only have like 5 of em.

and most of those motherfuckers are from athens so much of our knowledge of the gods is from that perspective. ever notice how athena, the patron goddess of athens is only rarely a psychopath and how ares, the patron god of sparta who is athens main geopolitical rival is ughhh just so dumb and savage.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Agean90 posted:

heck if you compare what we know about greek myth compared to what records we know we dont have about greek myth it aint even that well preserved. Like one of the main sources is a playwright who wrote 90 plays and we only have like 5 of em.

and most of those motherfuckers are from athens so much of our knowledge of the gods is from that perspective. ever notice how athena, the patron goddess of athens is only rarely a psychopath and how ares, the patron god of sparta who is athens main geopolitical rival is ughhh just so dumb and savage.

It WAS weird how the goddess of wisdom was portrayed as collected and tempered while the GOD OF LITERAL WAR LIKE THE NAME OF THE GAME WE ARE IN THE THREAD TALKING ABOUT would be depicted a savage and warlike

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

It WAS weird how the goddess of wisdom was portrayed as collected and tempered while the GOD OF LITERAL WAR LIKE THE NAME OF THE GAME WE ARE IN THE THREAD TALKING ABOUT would be depicted a savage and warlike

lmao athena aint no widom goddess, athena's a war goddess, bitch was born in full armor holding a spear. im implying that athena being calm and reasonable is due a big chunk of records coming from nerd rear end athenians who like that poo poo. pagan gods had personalities that would change from place to place so for all we know the spartans would have their own versions of the myths that would change from what the athenians had that would change from the rhodians that change from dudes in the black seas who prolly had some crazy syncretic thing going idk

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Picture it this way: a jesuit priest just got fired for speaking to congress and saying we should help the poor.

Despite us having a huge book full of a god saying "help the poor" we live in a region where that froo-froo garbage is unspeakable madness even though our own loving book tells us that in very plain, sober, matter of fact language.

There's so much diversity in Christianity that we have an insane death cult that believes the sole message of the guy the religion is named after is seen as an affront to him.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just hope this game gets a lot of people into Norse mythology. It’s kind of in a weird place and doesn’t deserve to be. The concepts and stories are wonderful and the myths + history of the people behind them are so much more interesting than rapey vikings and white power.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I recommend Irish (so Celtic but not stomped out by Romans) myth if you want to read some funny and wacky godly hijinks.

CuChulainn is a baller. I'd play that game.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Chuuch even gets a Super Saiyan form

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
how many of them are hot anime babes ala fate stay night

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I want Kratos to murder every incarnation of the Greek gods ESPECIALLY the anime ones

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Valkyrie Queen is exactly what I thought it was going to be, but also somehow much much worse

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

GreatGreen posted:

I think my favorite line in the game, at least the funniest one, was when I was in Tyr’s vault just hacking away at piles of treasure because it was fun to watch the coins and goblets get knocked around everywhere. I can’t remember where the conversation was at that point but BOY and Kratos had been talking for a while when a solution to some problem was revealed to be the act of destroying something and then...

BOY to Kratos: well that shouldn’t be a problem because you sure do like breaking stuff.

Mimir: HAAAA!

The timing and cadence was perfect. Hype Man Mimir is awesome.

The whole game is just a fortunate coincidence. Kratos personality, with the new role in the mythos. People that grown with kratos now having kids. The state to the technology.

Agean90 posted:

lmao athena aint no widom goddess, athena's a war goddess, bitch was born in full armor holding a spear. im implying that athena being calm and reasonable is due a big chunk of records coming from nerd rear end athenians who like that poo poo. pagan gods had personalities that would change from place to place so for all we know the spartans would have their own versions of the myths that would change from what the athenians had that would change from the rhodians that change from dudes in the black seas who prolly had some crazy syncretic thing going idk

The history lesson here is: if you have something important to say, write it down motherfucker.

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 28, 2018

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Tei posted:

The history lesson here is: if you have something important to say, write it down motherfucker.

Thank god for internet forums

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Game is pretty good. The checkpointing is kinda annoying though, especially when I get my rear end brutally kicked and I have to climb climbable walls for a minute to get back into the action.

Also, is there a good way of dealing with wulvers? Those things loving kick my rear end, their yellow (parryable, unblockable) attacks have a really weird timing, you can't press L1 during their upswing, only during their downswing.

Also the squirrel summon is the best thing ever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Phobophilia posted:

Game is pretty good. The checkpointing is kinda annoying though, especially when I get my rear end brutally kicked and I have to climb climbable walls for a minute to get back into the action.

Also, is there a good way of dealing with wulvers? Those things loving kick my rear end, their yellow (parryable, unblockable) attacks have a really weird timing, you can't press L1 during their upswing, only during their downswing.

Also the squirrel summon is the best thing ever.

Shoot everything in the game with light arrows then beat it's face in until you can beat it's face in but as a quicktime.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Iliad and Odyssey weren't written, they were oral stories sung by rhapsodes and transcribed. You can tell they're oral stories by such anachronistic elements like the 8 shields that are from (IIRC) the Bronze Age. :eng101:

Homer was probably a rhapsode or someone commissioned to transcribe/compile the work of the rhapsode.

In addition, we had plenty of other Greek writers like Hesiod and the people writing comedies and tragedies, many of which we only have thanks to Arabic backups.

Snorri Sturluson wrote/compiled the Prose Edda, and the Poetic Edda was from another old written work called the Codex Regius.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I wish you didn't have to collect 3 keys in muscleheim every time you wanted to play horde mode. I just want an endless Kratos stylin' on dudes setting and all the other endgame options are too difficult to make full use of your moveset.

I also think R3s should restore a small amount of health ala glory kills in DOOM.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

I’m on a part where you return to the mountain. An ogre busts out of a room and behind him there is a lantern thing for hels winds or whatever it’s called (green orbs). There is a source right below but it take a good 20 seconds to get back up. Can’t find another in between to chain it. What am I missing here?

I'm in the post-game and I'm trying to get *back* to this puzzle. If I try coming from the top of the mountain, my backtracking is stopped by the head of dragon killed to get its tooth and give BOY his zappy-bowstring. If I try coming from the base of the mountain, I'm stopped by the absence of the elevator you're supposed to ride up, and I'm just not finding a call button or anything.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I also think R3s should restore a small amount of health ala glory kills in DOOM.

I think there might be a socket gem that does that; I've got on the one (edit: actually it's a handle) that gives a bit of health on axe kills and it's been saving my rear end even on Normal.

turnways fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 28, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
There are a couple of neat things than can restore your health. Be sure to check your Pommels in the crafting section as some of them are really good. I don't think I ever crafted an Enchantment.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
There's a talisman that restores health on grabs.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

more like God of Bore imo.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Something interesting I noticed post game: I went back to the Hall of the Valkyries for a treasure map and one of them is missing. The healer. That combined with Freya looking for her wings might mean Baldur makes a comeback next game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Call Your Grandma posted:

more like God of Bore imo.

Because it bores into annals of good gaming history?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Literally every time I start the game I get the prompt to update it, get it together game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just realized that after the small mob of humans you fight in the prologue, there aren't any more for the rest of the game. It's kind of weird that they included them at all if they are never going to use them again. It' not even like that fight had any story significance.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Freaking out the boy and forcing him to see his enemies as real people despite what Kraken says?

autocorrect but I’m keeping it

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

veni veni veni posted:

I just realized that after the small mob of humans you fight in the prologue, there aren't any more for the rest of the game. It's kind of weird that they included them at all if they are never going to use them again. It' not even like that fight had any story significance.

It's to show you that they're the spirits of the dead coming to Midgard and turning into monsters. All the blue guys you fight the entire game are those humans.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If anyone is sick of executions just use the old executioners cleave. That'll never get old.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GonSmithe posted:

It's to show you that they're the spirits of the dead coming to Midgard and turning into monsters. All the blue guys you fight the entire game are those humans.

On that note, what is the time frame we are dealing with in Midgard? There are bodies everywhere but they aren't skeletons or anything. Did I miss something that stated there was a war there the week before or something?

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Just bought this game, because of all the hype.

Holy poo poo is it a boring, unfun grind early on. How the gently caress have western developers not figured out how a dodge is meant to work yet? I know it's supposed to get better combat-wise later, but why couldn't they just make the game fun from the start?

Every time I walk into another combat arena and it's another set of dudes that take one hundred hits each to kill I die a little bit. The little dudes are sort of fun because you can juggle them, but the big assholes that seem to be immune to all of my poo poo are just anti-fun, as are the dickhead witches with the homing attack that can stunlock you to death if you get caught in a corner.

Also, why the gently caress would you steal a mechanic from DmC of all games? Those enemies are fine, but, really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Maybe you just stink at it?