Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

EDIT: ^^Steam says 80 hours on the dot. I beat the game. Shaun never stops mattering.

And if you decided to dump-stat Charisma like I did, because previous Bethesda-engine games have taught you that social stats are kind of all-or-nothing in usefulness, you don't get to do much of that third thing!

Really? Because Charisma was required to get the high ranked shop stuff, I think.

Know what I did like about Fallout 4? The weapons. Weapons were fun in that game and having a rocket launcher that fired out six bowling balls every time it shot never got old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Personally, thing I've been tired of since Half-Life 2: Throwing physics objects at people. The novelty of blasting toilets and radiators at folks was a great time, don't get me wrong, but for a while, every game jammed a gravity gun in their armory (looking at you, Timesplitters 3) and I was super over it by the time Fallout 3 featured it, let alone FO4.

Yea yea ::corsair:say:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

Personally, thing I've been tired of since Half-Life 2: Throwing physics objects at people. The novelty of blasting toilets and radiators at folks was a great time, don't get me wrong, but for a while, every game jammed a gravity gun in their armory (looking at you, Timesplitters 3) and I was super over it by the time Fallout 3 featured it, let alone FO4.

Timesplitters 3 had a gravity gun? I do not remember this. :stare:

I do remember the gloriously stupid acting and the time Cortez had to team up with three alternate-timeline selves to deal with some set-piece so you got to do the same set-piece from four different perspectives (and get a password from a future self, then be the future self giving the password, hooray for closed time loops).

Timesplitters 2 probably had better missions, but Timesplitters 3 was still a good, aha, time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Future Perfect did have a gravity gun and also vehicle sections because Halo was also a game.

It's still good as hell.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
In Timesplitters 2, there was a mission where you travel back to the prohibition-era US, and you have to destroy barrels of illegal whiskey. One of these barrels is in a pool hall, and you could actually shoot the pool balls to sink them, bank them, bounce them off of each other, and it was super cool for a PS2 game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Also if you shot the barrels they'd drain but if you only shot them at the top they wouldn't drain all the way so you had to make sure to shoot them at the bottom :allears:

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Timesplitters 3 had a gravity gun? I do not remember this. :stare:

I do remember the gloriously stupid acting and the time Cortez had to team up with three alternate-timeline selves to deal with some set-piece so you got to do the same set-piece from four different perspectives (and get a password from a future self, then be the future self giving the password, hooray for closed time loops).

Timesplitters 2 probably had better missions, but Timesplitters 3 was still a good, aha, time.

I think the first time I saw a gravity gun in a game was in wild 9, on the ps1. You used a gravity beam to kill enemys in environmental hazards. I need to go back and that one. Last time I tried, the emulator kept messing up.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Neuronyx posted:

The Deathclaws will never not look awesome though.

Even when you download the mod that replaces them with "Macho Man" Randy Savage?

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Aphrodite posted:

There is nothing challenging about the Witcher 3’s combat except willing yourself to get through that garbage so you can play the good parts.

Joke's on you for playing on easy you super duper pleb. :smuggo:

StandardVC10 posted:

Even when you download the mod that replaces them with "Macho Man" Randy Savage?

Uh, ESPECIALLY then, thank you very much.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I love how utterly loving absurd Yakuza 0 is. I just played the first hour and went into the Anime Zone while singing Karaoke and not ten minutes later I'm having a dramatic confrontation with a loan shark, and then immediately outside I'm back in the what the gently caress zone and literally beating money out of hooligans like they're loving pinatas.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I started playing around with the game based on Disney's Bolt, and while it doesn't emulate well (so I'll probably order a real copy online now I know it's good) I enjoyed the first level despite that.

The game is based on the in-universe spy TV show that Bolt and Penny are actors in - You first play as Penny, infiltrating Calico's mansion using her Tech scooter, which has a fairly fun mechanic where you can latch it onto certain areas and use it to pull you along platforms. The stealth is simple but it works, if you get scene the combat is a basic QTE and she has some fun tools despite how simple it is.

After infiltrating the mansion the action switches to Bolt where most of the actual fun is - his attacks feel powerful as goons get knocked pretty badly by each blow - there are also funny finishing animations where after enough damage has been done you can press circle, followsed by any button to do a certain finishing move, like OX makes Bolt piledrive them, which is a funny animation in it's self due to him being a small dog, or OO makes him throw them, or O,Triangle makes him do an uppercut. Also to aid in how powerful Bolt feels some of his moves do severe damage to the environment, like the shockwave/body slam move. By the end of the fight the room's windows were all broken and holes were appearing in the walls. That's pretty loving satisfying.

Also the cutscene to end the mission was funny, featuring Bolt beating a goon with a grand Piano held awkwardly and adorably in his tiny jaws. I'm gonna order the game online at some point because it emulates very badly..

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Glagha posted:

Except that's not true? What does Fallout 4 have that say, The Witcher 3 didn't? A weapon mod system? Like, the scale of Bethesda games is a weak defense when people are releasing huge, hundred hour games with quests and character development every month, except when their games are released they aren't literally broken and waiting for an unpaid fan to fix it for them.

I think BoTW is every bit as huge and ambitious as a Fallout or Skyrim but the game is fully functional all on it's own, the combat is better, and the 100 or so dungeons in it are all almost entirely unique with their own challenges and content.

Maybe this was better back during Morrowind and Oblivion, but they're coasting on their own success, and I'm hoping people are going to figure out that Bethesda keeps releasing Oblivion with slight engine tweaks and better water textures and it's but good enough anymore to buy a game that frequently crashes and hits game ending bugs every single playthrough.

BotW isn't really an RPG at all, and while I haven't played Witcher 3 I know the series does have you playing a specific character (Geralt) rather than creating your own and doing all the "make your own decisions" stuff that is a big part of Bethesda's appeal. Granted FO 4 confuses that a bit with making your own character have a very specific backstory and motivation (and Skyrim kinda suffers an opposite extreme- when I was making my character I thought a bit about where she might come from and what her story is and why she's got that one scar, but then in practice you really don't develop in unique ways, you just get into factions and get more powerful gear and remain kind of a blank slate.)

Western RPGs have generally tried to simulate the scope of tabletop roleplaying games (where you can potentially do anything, or at least try to do anything) by being very open and letting you do all sorts of things, and Bethesda were the ones to marry that to a big, persistent 3-D open world- they're doing the AAA equivalent of Ultima IV and nobody else is. Bioware kinda compete but who even knows what'll happen to them after ME: Andromeda flopped (EA eats its wounded) and Obsidian are doing smaller games, which seems to be working out for them.

Basically they've got a captive market. The IDEA of Bethesda's stuff is really appealing- create a unique character and explore a vast open world and gain skills and find cool gear and interact with NPCs- and on a technical level it's a nice accomplishment, warts and all. It's just they don't design a good game to go on top of that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Galick posted:

I love how utterly loving absurd Yakuza 0 is. I just played the first hour and went into the Anime Zone while singing Karaoke and not ten minutes later I'm having a dramatic confrontation with a loan shark, and then immediately outside I'm back in the what the gently caress zone and literally beating money out of hooligans like they're loving pinatas.

The best part is it doesn't stop. Maybe ever.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

I started playing around with the game based on Disney's Bolt, and while it doesn't emulate well (so I'll probably order a real copy online now I know it's good) I enjoyed the first level despite that.

The game is based on the in-universe spy TV show that Bolt and Penny are actors in - You first play as Penny, infiltrating Calico's mansion using her Tech scooter, which has a fairly fun mechanic where you can latch it onto certain areas and use it to pull you along platforms. The stealth is simple but it works, if you get scene the combat is a basic QTE and she has some fun tools despite how simple it is.

After infiltrating the mansion the action switches to Bolt where most of the actual fun is - his attacks feel powerful as goons get knocked pretty badly by each blow - there are also funny finishing animations where after enough damage has been done you can press circle, followsed by any button to do a certain finishing move, like OX makes Bolt piledrive them, which is a funny animation in it's self due to him being a small dog, or OO makes him throw them, or O,Triangle makes him do an uppercut. Also to aid in how powerful Bolt feels some of his moves do severe damage to the environment, like the shockwave/body slam move. By the end of the fight the room's windows were all broken and holes were appearing in the walls. That's pretty loving satisfying.

Also the cutscene to end the mission was funny, featuring Bolt beating a goon with a grand Piano held awkwardly and adorably in his tiny jaws. I'm gonna order the game online at some point because it emulates very badly..

I love what you do, please never stop.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I beat Chroma Squad recently and while the game itself was fun, I was shocked by how good the soundtrack was. It has some of the catchiest battle themes I've heard in any game, especially on the chiptune front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i85hOnRoe5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZMXhZxPjX0

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Kratos with the hipster beard and the workout dad bod aging with his demographic

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Kanfy posted:

I beat Chroma Squad recently and while the game itself was fun, I was shocked by how good the soundtrack was. It has some of the catchiest battle themes I've heard in any game, especially on the chiptune front.

I didn't find Chroma Squad compelling enough to finish, but it was one of the more charming games I've played. You can tell the creators had a lot of love not only for the Power Rangers and similar shows, but also for the earnestly imaginative, improvisational process of producing a show like that. If a game's quality was based entirely on it's heart, Chroma Squad would be GOTY contender at least.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Riatsala posted:

I didn't find Chroma Squad compelling enough to finish, but it was one of the more charming games I've played. You can tell the creators had a lot of love not only for the Power Rangers and similar shows, but also for the earnestly imaginative, improvisational process of producing a show like that. If a game's quality was based entirely on it's heart, Chroma Squad would be GOTY contender at least.

Yeah, I think it went on for one "season" too long considering how much it reused the same enemies and combat areas, but it's a very cool game for what it is. Also the penultimate boss was kind of a jarring difficulty spike, but again I can forgive it for that great combat theme with an equally great name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHF7UpJUuTc

Also I appreciated it capturing the truest essence of fandoms for shows like that.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, I think it went on for one "season" too long considering how much it reused the same enemies and combat areas, but it's a very cool game for what it is. Also the penultimate boss was kind of a jarring difficulty spike, but again I can forgive it for that great combat theme with an equally great name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHF7UpJUuTc

Also I appreciated it capturing the truest essence of fandoms for shows like that.

:3:

So on another note, I went back and played some Far Cry 2. Soon thereafter I found this video - which was meant to poo poo on Far Cry 5 - but I like how effectively it highlights some of the details in 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCeEvQ68jY8

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Kanfy posted:

So... is it Scar and Wind, or Lee and Scar? Don't keep us in suspense.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

I really like it when a game has its own sort of operating system/ecosystem kinda thing.

OpenTTD/Transport Tycoon feels like this very carefully designed OS with its own sharp edged windowing system and fonts and stuff. Even has a little jukebox thing that I never use because Windows has terrible MIDI.

Space Rangers kinda has this too. There’s this underlying simulation running scads of independent agents and you’re trying to make your way in this little 2D ecosystem that has these half hidden doors into other weird text games and stuff.

Anno 1404 was made in this midway point where UbiSoft wasn’t sure they were ready to take on the world and force them into their lovely store yet, and so all the unlockable things in it don’t depend on external servers and exist in this storefront from inside the game’s menu system. You buy stuff like portraits and faction colors with points you earn by playing the game, but it all lives locally.

I dunno what you’d call this, but I think of it as an “exquisiteness” that some games have. There’s a sense of self containment to the game, or some portion of it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/588950/Kingsway/

Old post but you'll at least dig the aesthetics of this game.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Croccers posted:

Seeing this game somehow reminded me that Metal Marines was a thing. It has four different windows at all times, because what is Windows 3.x game without them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiiAUP1fG14&t=240s

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 13:04 on Apr 30, 2018

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Croccers posted:

I was just going to mention Kingsway. It's available from Twitch for free this month (i.e., today) if you have Amazon Prime. I just started playing it yesterday, and I really enjoy it. The aesthetics are a big part of it, and the windows become part of gameplay, too.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Agent355 posted:

Also if you shot the barrels they'd drain but if you only shot them at the top they wouldn't drain all the way so you had to make sure to shoot them at the bottom :allears:

It's things like this, and also little details like ice cubes melting in mgs2, that I miss. The recent Far Cry 2 to far cry 5 crowbcat video kind of exemplifies this. Having said that I beat 5 and it was ooookay

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Far Cry 2 is bad though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Missing the forest for the physics-based trees.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes. They did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Far Cry 2 is bad though.

Far Cry 2 is one of my favorite games but you absolutely have to be ready for some flaws. And also to play it on PC, because I haven’t the slightest idea how the gently caress anyone could play without quicksave.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I mean, for a game I thought was an abject failure, albeit ambitious, there's lots of little great things in Far Cry 2. For one, the Jackal Tapes are one of the best and most listenable audio logs in any game, period.

For a second, the hyper-aggro AI would just slaughter themselves in their frenzy to kill you by driving off cliffs and bridges to get you. It was full of unintentional hilarity.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Far cry 2 is cool and more immersive than most other games due to its dedication to everything being diegetic

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Croccers posted:

Yep heard of this one. It’s on the old wish list of course.

And Far Cry 2’s great. When I played it I hadn’t played a triple A super serious game in a long time and it was kinda surreal. It felt less like a real simulation of a Sahel war zone and more like a Westworld 80’s action murder vacation simulator for my, the wealthy tourist’s, benefit. I think it makes a lot more sense to play it that way.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

doctorfrog posted:

Yep heard of this one. It’s on the old wish list of course.

And Far Cry 2’s great. When I played it I hadn’t played a triple A super serious game in a long time and it was kinda surreal. It felt less like a real simulation of a Sahel war zone and more like a Westworld 80’s action murder vacation simulator for my, the wealthy tourist’s, benefit. I think it makes a lot more sense to play it that way.

If you have Amazon Prime (and by extension Twitch Prime) it’s free until the end of April. Which is the next 12 hours or so.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
In God of War your axe can be thrown, and is magically recalled with a single button press. It is difficult to convey just how much effort and polish has gone into the sound and animation on its recall. :allears:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Aphrodite posted:

Far Cry 2 is bad though.

Oh yeah I'm not making any judgments on how the actual game plays. I replayed Far Cry 2 recently and it was a chore but it had a lot of excellent moments buried in it. 5 is much more fun by design, with perks like the air drop that let you wingsuit everywhere. The kind of thing like looking at road signs to get map points is such a simple but excellent idea, it evokes the same feeling of pulling out your map in 2. But 5's world and it's objects feel static and it's interesting to see a game from a decade ago with some care taken to the seemingly inconsequential.

In my recent FC2 playthrough I was driving a stolen assault truck and being chased by even more, and I was run down into the jungle. I jumped into the gunner seat and swung the LMG around like a barn door without letting go of the trigger. It was some predator rear end poo poo. I was deliberately cutting through dense as gently caress foliage only to see more bad dudes behind every branch. A fire from the outpost I dragged them all from caught up behind them.

Eventually the carnage ended, and a good beat or two after the silence made an impression a jeep exploded and all of the trees shook, bowing in reverence to me.

Then I drove for 15 minutes without much happening!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
In 5 I made some cows gently caress.

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

In God of War, there is a special talisman that when fully upgraded and fitted with specific enchantments turns into the Infinity Gauntlet from the new Avengers movie.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

poptart_fairy posted:

In God of War your axe can be thrown, and is magically recalled with a single button press. It is difficult to convey just how much effort and polish has gone into the sound and animation on its recall. :allears:

It can even be recalled from the holster on your back. And there's nothing cooler than just randomly hucking it somewhere and recalling it before you're about to whoop some rear end

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Penpal posted:

Oh yeah I'm not making any judgments on how the actual game plays. I replayed Far Cry 2 recently and it was a chore but it had a lot of excellent moments buried in it. 5 is much more fun by design, with perks like the air drop that let you wingsuit everywhere. The kind of thing like looking at road signs to get map points is such a simple but excellent idea, it evokes the same feeling of pulling out your map in 2. But 5's world and it's objects feel static and it's interesting to see a game from a decade ago with some care taken to the seemingly inconsequential.

In my recent FC2 playthrough I was driving a stolen assault truck and being chased by even more, and I was run down into the jungle. I jumped into the gunner seat and swung the LMG around like a barn door without letting go of the trigger. It was some predator rear end poo poo. I was deliberately cutting through dense as gently caress foliage only to see more bad dudes behind every branch. A fire from the outpost I dragged them all from caught up behind them.

Eventually the carnage ended, and a good beat or two after the silence made an impression a jeep exploded and all of the trees shook, bowing in reverence to me.

Then I drove for 15 minutes without much happening!

You could fill this *and* the other topic with just Far Cry 2. It's really a game of contrasts.

Some of my most memorable moments in any game happened in Far Cry 2, and they happened completely organically.

But I'm never going to play it again.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Dragons Dogma was the game that did that for me. So many insane moments that just sort of happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Novum posted:

Dragons Dogma was the game that did that for me. So many insane moments that just sort of happened.

Did any of them involve WOLVES, ARISEN :byodood: