Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I'm having a harder time enhancing my heve helmet than my tree armor. Failstacks are the real endgame though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Just got a TRI kzarka too. :getin: That's all three TRI boss weapons within less than a 24h period. I have enough money to get one TRI boss armor off the market as well.

edit: okay now I have TRI Muskan's. Can't afford to auction house for a while now.

Clocks fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 28, 2018

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

The Spring Coronet event that's on right now is supposed to be repeatable according to the event page (which explicitly says all quests are once per day). For what it's worth though that doesn't seem to be the case right now, which is a shame because I've been looking forward to having flower crowns on every single one of my characters

dudeman
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Is there a point at which processing shards bought off the marketplace to heat into ingots becomes profitable? Right now, if I buy for instance 500 zinc and copper shards and then turn them into brass, I get about 150-160 ingots, which is a loss in silver.

I just hit artisan 1 processing, and wondering if I just need to stick to buying ore only for my afk income.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
don't buy zinc shards

I sell my copper ore and turn around and buy copper shards. I process zinc and iron though.

dudeman
Jun 1, 2007

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

stump collector posted:

don't buy zinc shards

I sell my copper ore and turn around and buy copper shards. I process zinc and iron though.

As in you buy zinc and iron ore? Trying to figure out the optimal afk processing setup for maximum afk time + profits.

I’m at the point where I can process about 10k ore in 7 hours afk before needing to touch the game again.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

dudeman posted:

Is there a point at which processing shards bought off the marketplace to heat into ingots becomes profitable? Right now, if I buy for instance 500 zinc and copper shards and then turn them into brass, I get about 150-160 ingots, which is a loss in silver.

I just hit artisan 1 processing, and wondering if I just need to stick to buying ore only for my afk income.

Shards have more uses than ingots and ingots are often hard to sell. The only ingots worth melting in my opinion is brass, bronze and steel.

J
Jun 10, 2001

The real answer is "make a spreadsheet and figure it out," but I know that's annoying. People with high level trading will buy processed materials if it's profitable for them to make it into crates to sell. Each level of trading adds .5% to the bargaining bonus at the trader, so the super high level traders will have certain pricepoints where they will buy all processed materials cheaper than that.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I don't really buy anything to process, I just rotate through my largest stacks of trees or ore that workers get for me

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I've been buying zinc shards to turn surplus copper ore into brass. But then I AFK process ores because with enough weight you can spend around 7 hours melting them

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I'll also say my processing rotation is extremely messed up because I'm pushing for 61 and stacked up a ton of poo poo during the koi event. I don't know how profitable it is to buy ores or shards because I never focus on it

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

stump collector posted:

I'll also say my processing rotation is extremely messed up because I'm pushing for 61 and stacked up a ton of poo poo during the koi event. I don't know how profitable it is to buy ores or shards because I never focus on it

Last time I did the math, metal ores made you about 1,4-1,6 million silver an hour if the end goal was brass/bronze/steel. This also accounted for the silver you would have made from just selling the ores.

Which is slightly better than regular fishing depending on your luck with relics.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

So, how's the game been doing? Haven't played this in like 2 years, last I heard was that it's circling the drain with monetisation ("pay $ to finish your crafting job" etc, but didn't delve into details).

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So, how's the game been doing? Haven't played this in like 2 years, last I heard was that it's circling the drain with monetisation ("pay $ to finish your crafting job" etc, but didn't delve into details).

Yeah that's true but it's still way less P2W than most MMOs. I never got the crafting jobs things because workers are churning out stuff like a factory. Maybe high level siege stuff has more use for it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Katt posted:

Yeah that's true but it's still way less P2W than most MMOs. I never got the crafting jobs things because workers are churning out stuff like a factory. Maybe high level siege stuff has more use for it?

:staredog: Game must be doing really well if you first reaction is to defensively point at other games.

What even are thoe P2W MMOs people play these days? None of big 3,5 are complicit, does someone still play ArcheAge?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:staredog: Game must be doing really well if you first reaction is to defensively point at other games.

What even are thoe P2W MMOs people play these days? None of big 3,5 are complicit, does someone still play ArcheAge?

The money stuff in BDO is overwhelmingly quality of life stuff and aesthetic outfits. Things to make gameplay flow better or look better. Not so much giving you an advantage over other players

Silver is the the real important measure of power in BDO. Gear matters more than levels and most gear you get by buying it for silver or spending upgrade/failstack materials that you in turn can get for silver.

Yeah you can turn money into silver but the rate is something like 1 dollar per 1 million silver and so you're looking at $500 to $1000 for one mid level piece of armour or weapon.

Top level gear would probably run you like ten thousand bucks per item if you want to go the money route. The way you progress in BDO is mainly through low effort/passive income things like nodes, fishing, processing. Then as you make silver you gradually over time upgrade your stuff.

The shameless money stuff in BDO is things like not having area loot. So you need to either loot every enemy one at a time manually. In a game where you might be killing 3000 enemies an hour. Or you can spend money on pets that run around and loot for you. And then money to make the pets higher level pets that loot faster. Because your low level pets can no longer keep up with how fast you kill.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Katt posted:

The money stuff in BDO is overwhelmingly quality of life stuff and aesthetic outfits. Things to make gameplay flow better or look better. Not so much giving you an advantage over other players

Silver is the the real important measure of power in BDO. Gear matters more than levels and most gear you get by buying it for silver or spending upgrade/failstack materials that you in turn can get for silver.

Yeah you can turn money into silver but the rate is something like 1 dollar per 1 million silver and so you're looking at $500 to $1000 for one mid level piece of armour or weapon.

Top level gear would probably run you like ten thousand bucks per item if you want to go the money route. The way you progress in BDO is mainly through low effort/passive income things like nodes, fishing, processing. Then as you make silver you gradually over time upgrade your stuff.

The shameless money stuff in BDO is things like not having area loot. So you need to either loot every enemy one at a time manually. In a game where you might be killing 3000 enemies an hour. Or you can spend money on pets that run around and loot for you. And then money to make the pets higher level pets that loot faster. Because your low level pets can no longer keep up with how fast you kill.

Pets for looting, camouflages/aesthetic costumes, weight limit and inventory stuff was all there back when I played too. What else have they added?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Pets for looting, camouflages/aesthetic costumes, weight limit and inventory stuff was all there back when I played too. What else have they added?

Kama blessings for pearls,
combat book for pearls
Did they have Artisans memory back then?
5 pet slots total

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Katt posted:

Kama blessings for pearls,
combat book for pearls
Did they have Artisans memory back then?
5 pet slots total

I'm pretty sure there weren't artisan memories back then. Anyways, this doesn't look too terrible I guess, maybe if 2 extra pet slots don't sound too cheap if they are really needed/upgrading has remained the same. Going to read up on the rest, cheers.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm pretty sure there weren't artisan memories back then. Anyways, this doesn't look too terrible I guess, maybe if 2 extra pet slots don't sound too cheap if they are really needed/upgrading has remained the same. Going to read up on the rest, cheers.

Artisans memory are things that triple the repair amount when restoring max durability. 5 pets is pretty okay because it means you can manage with low level pets instead of having to level them too much.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Lets not kid ourselves, this game is heavily P2W.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Wuxi posted:

Lets not kid ourselves, this game is heavily P2W.

More like $100 for basic function.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Artisan memory was around but it was like a one time +1 durability increase so it was worthless. I would say it's one of those things that saves you a ton of silver if you buy it and since silver is the definition of power in this game you can call it p2w, but I'm taking the route where I don't even have to enhance things so I get to ignore it entirely.

Similarly things like pets and weight increases allow you to get more silver per hour. Costumes give you more exp. I'd say if you decide to spend on the cash shop on ONE character (weight, costume, pets etc) you could probably get away with $50-100. Actually you can probably eventually get a costume off the auction house and save yourself like $30 if you go that route.

There's also getting three extra workers per city if you buy worker lodging which saves you contribution and allows you to get more passive income. There's the p2w tent which functions like the regular tent but stops costing you silver and allows you to stay at a grind spot for like 3 days straight if you really wanted to.

Oh and the value pack etc.

Basically you have to keep in mind that BDO functions as a f2p game with a buy-in price. So it has all the trappings of f2p games. That said I'm one of those people who came back to it recently after quitting like 1.5 years ago and I'm loving it. But all the cash shop stuff never bothered me either.

And I think the game got a boost in players when it released on steam so it's hardly a dead game like people sometimes doom and gloom about.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

With enough luck, fast fingers, and someone elses stupidity you technically can get most of the P2W items you want from the market.

Pets show up on loyalty calendars from time to time so those arent a must buy unless youre impatient.

Inventory gains from Black Spirit quests.

Really the only “must have” cash items are weight and VPs, and a VP is just the same $15/mo as every other P2P mmo.

I mean yes the cash shop is convenient but you can get almost all of it in the game if youre cheap. Why anyone who doesnt have spare $$ to blow on video games would play bdo I dont know though. Its one of those games that quite clearly shows you Money=Convenience.

If “P2W” matters to you just go elsewhere, even though most of the cries of p2w in bdo are just coming from people who cant get their parents credit card. Short of Art Mems, and those are even debatable at worst, nothing on the pearl shop directly contributes to your power level in the game. It doesn't increase your chance of success while enhancing, and that is literally the only metric that matters. Yes it can make your XP grind easier, but being level 60+ in garbage gear doesn't make you overpowered. Nothing on the pearl shop really puts you above other people without you still having to put in a dickload of effort. Even if you're a no-enhance-buy-only you're capping yourself entirely out at full TRI, with maybe one or two TET pieces here and there, because lol good luck buying that PEN dande preorder at 15 billion.

tldr: Game good. Not for people who hate spending $$ on a game they're never getting it back from.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 29, 2018

stump collector
May 28, 2007
They've also put in a few items that help with weight, like an accessory set that you can wear while using lifeskill clothes. I also believe they reduced the weight of early game mob trashloot at some point so that you don't have to go back to town every twenty minutes when grinding. I'm not totally sure on that though. In general they've worked on their UI and made some positive changes for everyone in the past few months.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Clocks posted:

I'm taking the route where I don't even have to enhance things so I get to ignore it entirely.

:smirk:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

There's the convenience stuff that basically everything has: Costumes for cooking/processing, inventory slots for fishing, carry weight for processing/grinding, pets for grinding/lifeskilling, kamasilves blessing for grinding/gathering, storage/lodging for pearls, tent for general convenience, loot scrolls for grinding. You can do without, but you can't do any of these at peak efficiency without and I'm not even including the monthly VP, which is basically a subscription at this point.
Then there's selling poo poo on the MP. Thankfully the conversion rate is poo poo and there's a weekly limit. And last but not least we have Artisans Memories, which make enhancing a lot easier.

None of these things allow you straight up buy TET or PEN gear, but the difference in income between someone who has all of these and someone who only has a bunch of pets is huge. It doesn't matter how fast you grind, someone with a loot scroll and kama blessing will pull in double your numbers and silver is everything in this game. Even worse, it doesn't matter how much silver you have, if other players who have more than you want your PEN, then you will never win that pre-order.

The real deal with BDO is thats its not a competitive PvP game and nothing anyone else does is important for you. Enjoy the cool gameplay and the nice graphics and that there's always some way for you to progress further, no matter how much or little you spend. But if you want to compete with the top echelons of players (don't), then be prepared to spend 4-figures for the convenience.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
I just started playing about a half a week ago, so I can cover some of the things I've seen.

Got two free pets in that time, along with three horses and a donkey. I've got 30 armor and weapon black stones. I've gotten a variety of 7 day outfits, along with a permanent one. I've pretty routinely gotten a bunch of exp bonuses and silver drops, enough that I could afford to just have my pets out 24/7 to collect things for me and then drip feed them cheap pet food every few hours.

Maybe it gets worse later and I'd really be feeling it? I don't know. The weight stuff would be more annoying if I didn't constantly shove my silver into storage and use my mounts to hold stuff. My main complaint honestly is how comically bad the translation is, and the game's ability to explain things like "how do workers and nodes even work???"

J
Jun 10, 2001

Wuxi posted:

The real deal with BDO is thats its not a competitive PvP game and nothing anyone else does is important for you. Enjoy the cool gameplay and the nice graphics and that there's always some way for you to progress further, no matter how much or little you spend. But if you want to compete with the top echelons of players (don't), then be prepared to spend 4-figures for the convenience.

This is the key, as long as you don't get caught up in the ~competitive pvp~ rat race then the game is really fun to dink around with at your own pace. Play other games for pvp.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fairly amusing how it all seems to have turned out. Back before release the game was very often touted as the new turn in the evoluton of PvP in MMO games.

TVDinna
Feb 17, 2013
Going to try to plop down a fort to snipe nodes daily.
9 PM EST is when the wars start so if anyone is on and available, scout out the war area and if there's another snipe guild, we need to chop down their fort.

Trina Axes are cheap to make, easy to enchant and if anyone in guild is poor, I can just adjust payouts to get some money to some people who can't afford it otherwise.
See this guide for more info:
http://dulfy.net/2017/11/01/black-desert-trina-siege-weapons-and-manufacture-guide/

You can use it to make a few fs while you enchant it and it should only cost a few mil to get one to +15 and a little bit more past that to get duo.
If you do any kind of node sniping to help the guild get money, make sure you take an ss and let me know.
Any activity for this poo poo will garner larger payouts when we do them since winning a node will give us a good chunk of silver.

I'll post the info in discord for node war locations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope nobody who still plays this was terribly attached to their super armor https://community.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?threads/patch-review-wednesday-may-9th-2018.193068/

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Going to be fun times.

TVDinna posted:

Going to try to plop down a fort to snipe nodes daily.
9 PM EST is when the wars start so if anyone is on and available, scout out the war area and if there's another snipe guild, we need to chop down their fort.

Trina Axes are cheap to make, easy to enchant and if anyone in guild is poor, I can just adjust payouts to get some money to some people who can't afford it otherwise.
See this guide for more info:
http://dulfy.net/2017/11/01/black-desert-trina-siege-weapons-and-manufacture-guide/

You can use it to make a few fs while you enchant it and it should only cost a few mil to get one to +15 and a little bit more past that to get duo.
If you do any kind of node sniping to help the guild get money, make sure you take an ss and let me know.
Any activity for this poo poo will garner larger payouts when we do them since winning a node will give us a good chunk of silver.

I'll post the info in discord for node war locations.

I'm taking it slow till Lahn comes, but I'll get an axe ready :patriot:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wuxi posted:

Going to be fun times.

I'm taking it slow till Lahn comes, but I'll get an axe ready :patriot:

I don't understand what any of that means, but it made this guy real mad, so lol.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I wonder how I will play the game now that people aren't invincible every time they have one of eight cooldowns up

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stump collector posted:

I wonder how I will play the game now that people aren't invincible every time they have one of eight cooldowns up

Anyone who played before awakenings existed will find a way. Before the name of the game ended up being chaining super armor.

I logged in hoping to find tears in server chat and was not disappointed. Loudest crying seems to be a warrior player.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I'm excited honestly. I just don't see myself soloing the ronin daily boss scrolls anymore

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Really loving people whining that Wizards and Witches, the only classes who have to stand completely still for every skill cast AND have no way to easily cancel skills into each other, didn't lose all of their super armor skills.

Even though everyone has almost the same amount of super armor skills after the patch, and WizWitch had fewer skills to begin with. :allears:

stump collector
May 28, 2007
I hope none of the devs actually listen to their forums or Reddit because lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

Don't need super armor to fish and chop timber :grin: