Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

that is the swedishest name in history

almost, if only he was erik instead of eric.

also, ill be the recycle bin file paths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Maximum Leader posted:

also, ill be the recycle bin file paths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Krankenstyle posted:

computers arent for gaming except maybe emulators or a single player campaign once in a while

pc gaming is the pinnacle of video gaming achievement, the true choice of the video game connoisseur

second only to nintendo gaming

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

qirex posted:

microsoft is innovating bold new metrics in their neverending quest to avoid telling their investors exactly how bad the xbox program is financially

They've been talking about user engagement for awhile now. It's kind of a normal thing to talk about user engagement when you're selling services and ads.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

this is incredible but i wonder how lundgren pulled that sweet PR campaign that got him looking as the poor underdog victim? it can't have been his own doing because based on those e-mails he sounds like an actual idiot. maybe the media just leaned in on it way too hard?

tech media is especially bad and doesn't bother at all with fact checking even though it was abundantly clear he was dealing in counterfeit discs. see also: net neut.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Shaggar posted:

tech media is especially bad and doesn't bother at all with fact checking even though it was abundantly clear he was dealing in counterfeit discs. see also: net neut.

"Tech bloggers" is a more appropriate term for what they do, FYI.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

tech boggers

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fiedler posted:

They've been talking about user engagement for awhile now. It's kind of a normal thing to talk about user engagement when you're selling services and ads.

It's a normal thing if you're trying to avoid saying anything of value. What Nadella said is pretty much meaningless word salad. And how do they even quantify "engagement" for Xbox, when PS4 is the vastly more popular platform.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Fame Douglas posted:

It's a normal thing if you're trying to avoid saying anything of value. What Nadella said is pretty much meaningless word salad. And how do they even quantify "engagement" for Xbox, when PS4 is the vastly more popular platform.

He's essentially saying that the average xbox user spends more time/money on the platform than the average ps4 user. The implication is that this translates to more per-user licensing revenue, more per-user services revenue, and more per-user ad revenue.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

cheese-cube posted:

this is incredible but i wonder how lundgren pulled that sweet PR campaign that got him looking as the poor underdog victim? it can't have been his own doing because based on those e-mails he sounds like an actual idiot. maybe the media just leaned in on it way too hard?
he passed his story on to a naderite group that is probably sending out releases far and wide

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 28, 2018

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
also they probably count every windows 10 user as an xbox user

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lol naderite that sounds exceptionally stupid and i don't want to know what it means

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

cheese-cube posted:

lol naderite that sounds exceptionally stupid and i don't want to know what it means
it's the same movement that sun paid back in the late 90s to lobby for the antitrust case against MS

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

nb: eric lundgren is a bullshitter

everyone needs to click through to this, this is bitcoiner level "mycrimes.pdf"

the email on page 18-19 is amazing for example

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

the email on page 18-19 is amazing for example

if you just want to read hosed up e-mails this search is good: https://www.google.com/search?newwi.....0.XdepOr-4gzM

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Maximum Leader posted:

actually, with a k it would be more danish or norwegian than swedish

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

appropriately enough, he was also a cryptocoin mining :airquote: supercomputer hosting :airquote: executive

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Gazpacho posted:

appropriately enough, he was also a cryptocoin mining :airquote: supercomputer hosting :airquote: executive

lmao

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fiedler posted:

He's essentially saying that the average xbox user spends more time/money on the platform than the average ps4 user. The implication is that this translates to more per-user licensing revenue, more per-user services revenue, and more per-user ad revenue.

Absolutely not. If their metrics actually backed this up, they would probably simply state this. Talking about "engagement" instead neatly sidesteps the issue and allows for fans online to spin the words in the way the prefer and investors to be happy because they heard some words.

Investor-speak is all about lovely sleight of hand.

"Engagement" could simply mean "plenty of people accidentally click the Xbox icon on Windows 10".

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 28, 2018

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it could probably also mean a lot of people talk about xbox in twitter

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

cheese-cube posted:

follower of ralph nader, i assume

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

actually, with a k it would be more danish or norwegian than swedish

no

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

microsoft is innovating bold new metrics in their neverending quest to avoid telling their investors exactly how bad the xbox program is financially

hot leaks from this years e3: microsoft's new xbox metrics

• brand cohesivity
  • community harmoniousness
  • marketplace follow-through
  • push-comes-to-shove captivity
  • reaction trapping rate
  • prosumer satisfaction to beacon conversion
  • how much people still pity 'good dude' phil spencer

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

its a shame because if they would have only made a good console instead of the homer car turd that was the xbox one they could have potentially kept gaining on Sony, but no we need hdmi pass through because cable boxes are the future!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

why the gently caress do my win server 2016 core machines want to install a silverlight update via windows update which obviously wont install and breaks automatic updating because it keeps getting hung up on it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
did someone approve it in wsus?

it's an optional update normally

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lmbo who is clearing the silverlight installer instead of just the security updates for the few dumb fucks that installed it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
at least it's an easy fix, go find whoever manages the update server and beat them senseless with a coffee mug

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

this is in my home lab/network. no wsus just going straight to windows update

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh, well then it's an optional update and you done hosed up

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
ah yes microsoft managed to make the settings menu look worse

look at all that whitespace

lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what whitepace?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sure but how about the other settings menu

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

what whitepace?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
my computer suddenly has a oem partition even though this is a custom-built pc :shepface:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

SupSuper posted:

my computer suddenly has a oem partition even though this is a custom-built pc :shepface:

this is yospos and if you don't like gutting that poo poo as a hobby gtfo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
have time to custom build your pc but not to janitor your filesystems eh

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
it wasn't there before, it was created after the new windows update. it has a drive letter and everything which i'm pretty sure they're not supposed to

and disk cleanup wants to fix it lmao

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there is an issue with word 2016 that results in incredibly slow, laggy text entry in some documents (it's not the cursor animation), evidently it's been around for years now and there's no published solution for it. the amazingly useful MVP community always goes through a list of voodoo bullshit that ends in "well, maybe re-install windows"

gg microsoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
youre holding it wrong