Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

poverty goat posted:

Yeah if you wanna be soft

Dibs on this guy's tower when adventurers string him up in 2 weeks

I bet he doesn't even have those virgins enthralled so they probably have already broken out blocks in his lair to allow heroes to bypass the main defenses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Skypie posted:

I bet he doesn't even have those virgins enthralled so they probably have already broken out blocks in his lair to allow heroes to bypass the main defenses

He's also taking for granted that there are no other evil wizards in the power structure. Personally, I try not to contaminate myself with the mundane too much, their iphones and their daytime tv make the illusion that is my face weaken and suddenly everyone can see my terrible corpse face. As it is, I have control over a pretty big postal route (undead mailmen) and a mini golf course. It suits my needs on the material plane. If I want artifacts, I'll just rob museums or whatever. Why complicate things?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I own a series of bed and breakfasts along the sword coast and the money I make from charging for condiments more or less covers my whole evil enterprise.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

fruit on the bottom posted:

I own a series of bed and breakfasts along the sword coast and the money I make from charging for condiments more or less covers my whole evil enterprise.

Do you typically give the first one free but then make sure it's actually more empty than the others, thus enticing them to purchase more?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Skypie posted:

Do you typically give the first one free but then make sure it's actually more empty than the others, thus enticing them to purchase more?

Yup. I also offer a rewards card.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

fruit on the bottom posted:

Yup. I also offer a rewards card.

Bloody hell man, we have Laws ya know.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

poverty goat posted:

Yeah if you wanna be soft

Dibs on this guy's tower when adventurers string him up in 2 weeks

Shut up!

Skypie posted:

Shut up!!!

naem
May 29, 2011

poverty goat posted:

im guessing all the good skeletons have wandered off or been snatched up already but if anyone's near sweden they just found a whole loving village of 1500 year old vikings who were apparently murdered en masse in their homes and left to rot where they fell. what a loving backstory for a skeleton army, i bet you barely even need magic to get them dancing

They are probably already Draugr, those Scandinavians make good undead

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

mycomancy posted:

Bloody hell man, we have Laws ya know.

Yes, yessssss... Keep Them.

UltraRed posted:

Guys, I just found out how to be an evil wizard on easy mode. Forget necromancy all together. You can just ensorcel the existing power structure. I've done nothing but watch my crystal ball and eat grapes peeled by virgins in my underwear for the past 2 months! This is the life.

If you can make the laws (or Laws, Keep Them!) work for you, then you're set. Just make sure there are no loopholes for adventurers to exploit.

Be very, very sure. Adventurers are crafty fuckers.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

quote:

Archaeologists in northern Peru say they have found a burial site, known as Las Llamas, that contains the remains  of 140 children. They  were aged between five and 14 when  the Chimú empire sacrificed them during a ceremony about 550 years ago as floods ravaged the Peruvian coastline.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Despite popular belief, Ancient graveyards arnt good for thier bones, Fresh bones make the best skeleton minions. Now the souls that linger in these places, hoo boy. You can power a whole ritual with just one and still have some power to drink up.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
You know what's criminally underutilized these days?

Marrow golems.

Now, there's a certain level of marrow in an amateur's bone golem, that's to be expected. But a Golem made of pure marrow? Think the T-1000 but stickier. A single marrow golem with access to whatever vents you got laying around? You've doubled that area's challenge rating at least.

naem
May 29, 2011

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You know what's criminally underutilized these days?

Marrow golems.

Now, there's a certain level of marrow in an amateur's bone golem, that's to be expected. But a Golem made of pure marrow? Think the T-1000 but stickier. A single marrow golem with access to whatever vents you got laying around? You've doubled that area's challenge rating at least.

That 2014 era hipster bone broth soup trend made the cost of marrow skyrocket, for the cost of a golem you could start a small profitable artisanal soup restaurant in Portland

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

UltraRed posted:

Guys, I just found out how to be an evil wizard on easy mode. Forget necromancy all together. You can just ensorcel the existing power structure. I've done nothing but watch my crystal ball and eat grapes peeled by virgins in my underwear for the past 2 months! This is the life.

UltraRed is getting hammered in this thread but he is onto something.

The SEC hasn't caught up insider trading laws to scrying.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Lowtax posted:

I want to raise somebody from the dead who committed suicide, just to be an rear end in a top hat and laugh at them

As long as they register an account I have no problem with a fresh influx of revenants and liches posting on the forums.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Why settle for a boring ol' stone or bone golem when you can have a golem golem? It can fit through (some) vents, it's fully modular, and it will warm your long dead heart or equivalent when you scry upon some fool smashing your golem into pieces just to get assaulted by multiple minigolems!

naem
May 29, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why settle for a boring ol' stone or bone golem when you can have a golem golem? It can fit through (some) vents, it's fully modular, and it will warm your long dead heart or equivalent when you scry upon some fool smashing your golem into pieces just to get assaulted by multiple minigolems!

https://youtu.be/XyAh25yD4mU

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

You can power some serious soul gems with that much concetrated suffering souls.

Anyone got some basic material reading on how to convert a gym into a suffering soul engine power source?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Golems are fine and all, but lately I've been channeling all my insecurity and ennui into a Depression Elemental. The Book o' Koob by Hermes Gallowsgrape tells us that it is ideal for guard duty and assassination. Apparently I'll need to give it the occasional zap with some lightning whizbang or whatever because they are indolent, messy and full of complaints. This mostly started as a way to exorcise my own loathing but the benefits of a thoroughly depressed homunculus wandering around outside my tower's entrance are obvious. Already village children that have tired of pinning prankish notes to it have suffered the residual effects; their grades in school are suffering, they don't eat much and many are experimenting with drugs and self-harm. If all goes well, the nearby graveyard might see a bumper crop soon.

I would thank the ugly beast but I can't look at his face without being overwhelmed with sorrow.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Bacontotem posted:

You can power some serious soul gems with that much concetrated suffering souls.

Anyone got some basic material reading on how to convert a gym into a suffering soul engine power source?

Books are great. But for something like this, you really want the talking skull of an expert.

Of course, the talking skull of an expert is my answer to most problems, but I don't think you'll be disappointed. My old teacher's skull is spoken for, but I think I remember where I buried an old comrade and rival. I'm pretty sure he's still dead, but be prepared for a bit of extra work if he's gotten better. I'll send a shade over with the info.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Talking skulls are the Microsoft Paperclips of necromancy.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Well sure, once you get good at it, you don't need the skill anymore... just like in every other discipline.

Skulls are optional.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Skulls are optional.

Excuse me, skulls are the reason I went in to wizardry.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

phasmid posted:

Actually the big man on the skull throne, possibly the biggest authority on skulls, is very much not fond of wizards and wizardry :colbert:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

phasmid posted:

Yeah, but most people don't need their skulls. They're better off in your possession.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I'm still learning this stuff. I'm only ninety years old (I just look twenty-seven because I drink unicorn blood - least I was told it was unicorn blood).

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

I'm still learning this stuff. I'm only ninety years old (I just look twenty-seven because I drink unicorn blood - least I was told it was unicorn blood).

Unicorn blood is so 1800s, way too many side effects for a modern evil wizard. Luckily for you, I happen to have some spare captured adventurers to transfer consciousness into; basically removes all problems related to the crap you've put in your body, and gives you the ability to go toe-to-toe with other adventurers. Plus you can transfer the adventurer back into your body and watch them pull their hair out trying to convince their ex-friends they're not evil, haha.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Jon Joe posted:

Unicorn blood is so 1800s, way too many side effects for a modern evil wizard. Luckily for you, I happen to have some spare captured adventurers to transfer consciousness into; basically removes all problems related to the crap you've put in your body, and gives you the ability to go toe-to-toe with other adventurers. Plus you can transfer the adventurer back into your body and watch them pull their hair out trying to convince their ex-friends they're not evil, haha.

Just place your soul in a phylactery and enjoy being a lich, can't go wrong with the classics

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

"enjoy being a lich"? Buddy if I wanted to feel positive emotions I wouldn't be a lich!

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Colonel Cancer posted:

"enjoy being a lich"? Buddy if I wanted to feel positive emotions I wouldn't be a lich!

I've been practicing my evil lich laugh for literal centuries now(tens of thousands of hours of Skelethor videos). It's definitely something you can enjoy.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Jon Joe posted:

Last time I put my body in to an adventurer, I didn't sedate my original enough. He woke up and as far as I know is still living in my old crumbling keep. I tried reasoning with my guards (forced to slay, wasn't very good at raising strong servants back then) but the wards I had put up were woven so intricately that I'd need a cheat guide to get around them - the cheat guide that was still in the keep. I trudged off through the swamp with a barbarian in my old body laughing at me. He probably won't be able to get out or go in to the basement, but the wine cellar's full of unicorn blood so he's most likely just going to keep the place.

I don't know that I'm ready for transferral spells after that experience. Really wish I'd put a limited duration on it, but the recipe for that calls for things that don't exist and some that are extremely racist (old book) so I skipped it like a slacker.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

phasmid posted:

Last time I put my body in to an adventurer, I didn't sedate my original enough. He woke up and as far as I know is still living in my old crumbling keep. I tried reasoning with my guards (forced to slay, wasn't very good at raising strong servants back then) but the wards I had put up were woven so intricately that I'd need a cheat guide to get around them - the cheat guide that was still in the keep. I trudged off through the swamp with a barbarian in my old body laughing at me. He probably won't be able to get out or go in to the basement, but the wine cellar's full of unicorn blood so he's most likely just going to keep the place.

I don't know that I'm ready for transferral spells after that experience. Really wish I'd put a limited duration on it, but the recipe for that calls for things that don't exist and some that are extremely racist (old book) so I skipped it like a slacker.

might be old fashioned but having a codeword that collapses your tower/castle/keep into a ball of ash is still a good idea for situations like these

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

phasmid posted:

Sounds like poor planning on your part. Are you sure being an evil wizard is the right path for you? You might do better as an evil cult leader; even if you plan poorly, generally speaking you can still summon unspeakable evils. Granted you might die in the process, or have your soul ripped asunder by Those Soulless Things, but hey, that's what you get for having a low intelligence score.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

as a lich you just gotta find a side hobby. plenty of liches have found happiness aside from unfathomable magic power

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

ferroque posted:

as a lich you just gotta find a side hobby. plenty of liches have found happiness aside from unfathomable magic power

don't dox me

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

phasmid posted:

Have you considered mustering together a group of foolhardy adventurers to slay the evil wizard in the crumbling castle? I mean you need someone to "disable" the traps at the very least.

Just don't get too attached, you'll need to kill/sacrifice/bodyjack the survivors in the end.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

phasmid posted:

You know if you drink unicorn blood you will have but a half-life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips because you have slain something pure and defenceless to save yourself, right?

Halser posted:

Just place your soul in a phylactery and enjoy being a lich, can't go wrong with the classics

He probably calls it a "horcrux" because he's like, only 90 and still using Babby's First Grimoire. It's "leviOHsa," not "levioSA," by the way.

What's everyone's current favorite spell? Mine is "AbrakaFUCKYOU," and I get to use it every generation or so when someone drags themselves out of the dust and ruins to become an adventurer. Always gotta make sure they have descendents or my fun will be over in a couple hundred years.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

You know if you drink unicorn blood you will have but a half-life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips because you have slain something pure and defenceless to save yourself, right?

Only if you slay a coaligned unicorn, which is rare, as us Evil Wizards are undoubtedly chaotic. Most unicorns you find will be lawful or neutral and you can slay them without fear of angering Anhur.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

There is nothing chaotic about Evil Wizardry. You must follow The Laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

What's everyone's current favorite spell? Mine is "AbrakaFUCKYOU," and I get to use it every generation or so when someone drags themselves out of the dust and ruins to become an adventurer. Always gotta make sure they have descendents or my fun will be over in a couple hundred years.

Not exactly a spell, but I still get a kick out of the "Mario 64 infinite stairs" illusion.

• Locked thread