Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Trouble in paradise. I hope this goes somewhere, actually, because Nigel's constant bashing of his allies is a little too one-note and is getting tiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I agree. One of my favourite parts of the WC2 l.p. was maggy and bloodbelly bro time because it was nice to see some mutual respect.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I think I did already make the comment that his ally-bashing has noticeably gone up over time. Seems to be a combination of fel magic withdrawal and alcoholism. A reckoning's due soon and it really makes me wonder how things'll be at the start of WC3, after all....

Considering what comes next, going home isn't gonna be so easy.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I did not see this plot twist coming.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

achtungnight posted:

You also learn the limitations of Naval Units. Destroyers can attack air units, Juggernauts can't. Turtles can only attack Ships and Shipyards- and for God's sake, keep them away from Towers! Death Wagons are indeed useful for defending your bases from enemy ships, but you want Trolls close by too in case of Griffons. And have I mentioned how annoying it is when you're upgrading a Tower to Guard and it gets destroyed before it finishes?

You would get stomped in several vanilla WC2 missions if you brought nothing but juggernauts.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

THE BAR posted:

You would get stomped in several vanilla WC2 missions if you brought nothing but juggernauts.

Yeah, but no vanilla WC2 Missions are really a good tutor for the game's naval warfare in my opinion. By the time you have all the different flavors of ships, it's late enough in the game that difficulty is up and you got to deal with Mages and Transports full of Knights more often than enemy ships. So you find yourself working to counter that more than the enemy fleets. The first time I beat this Mission and the other big Naval Mission yet to come in the Orc Campaign were the first times I really used Turtles in WC2. I like the idea of ships you can't see coming to kill the enemy and if you can knock out the enemy's air units first and stay away from towers, it works.

We may need to renew our ratings, I saw the thread slipping out of Gold. :(

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Honestly, I don't like Turtles/Subs myself. I'd rather just bring a zeppelin along to spot their subs.

achtungnight posted:

Just think if you bother to scout the blue enemy base and expose their Gold Mine how impressive it will be when you eventually take it, given that the computer doesn't start draining Gold Mines till they're exposed from the black... This is a mission that teaches you to do more with less in a serious way.

Bolded section is absolutely not true. I've had plenty an AI drain their goldmine dry before *EVER* scouting it out. And in one or two cases, before ever even seeing any of their units.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Now that I think about it, Blaze is correct. My bad. I have had similar experiences, thinking back.

I should have said- think how impressive the mine looks after you scout it out and then never claim it until right before it collapses. That happened to me way more often than I'd like.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

Bolded section is absolutely not true. I've had plenty an AI drain their goldmine dry before *EVER* scouting it out. And in one or two cases, before ever even seeing any of their units.

Don't they only take 10 gold for every 100 gained, until they're revealed?

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Ha, love the little edited Vilefeast sprite.

As some have noted, Nigel is getting more and more...I guess single-minded and crazy. But then again, considering things, it is probably not going to be very healthy for Bloodgut to side with not-Vilefeast either.

Speaking of gold, a fun strategy with the AI is to kill their peasants/peons repeatedly. Remove their ability to gather gold. You can also blow up the goldmine itself, but it takes an ungodly amount of time. I think they have like tens of thousands of HP.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

SirSystemError posted:

Ha, love the little edited Vilefeast sprite.

As some have noted, Nigel is getting more and more...I guess single-minded and crazy. But then again, considering things, it is probably not going to be very healthy for Bloodgut to side with not-Vilefeast either.

Yeah, now that you mention it, he's always been a bit dickish towards his...er...cohorts? Followers? I'm not sure what to call them, but the point is that he's usually not this blatantly antagonistic towards them. Especially given how he reacted when Vile died.

I think the idea of going toe-to-toe with Wells again is a bit more addicting of an idea for Nigel than I thought...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Holy crap welcome back. This is one of my favorite LPs.

Now to catch up ... :allears:

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

McTimmy posted:

Erm, did you forget that blue is Azeroth or is referring to them as Lordaeron intentional?

HAHAHA, WHAT ME? MAKE A MISTAKE?

Yeah, drat, I really have to focus more. Which means...

Congratulations McTimmy! You've won Chieftain Necksmasher's official medal of Least Colorblind!

Loel posted:

Holy crap welcome back. This is one of my favorite LPs.

Now to catch up ... :allears:

Welcome, welcome! The next Lore update will be coming this Wednesday. Now this guy is gonna go enjoy his week off of work.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.

Azzur posted:

Welcome, welcome! The next Lore update will be coming this Wednesday. Now this guy is gonna go enjoy his week off of work.

If I had any artistic talent whatsoever I'd totally draw a picture of Nigel getting smashed at an orc rave or something.

Sadly I have none. I have decent writing talent, but not so much drawing talent.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Dr. Snark posted:

If I had any artistic talent whatsoever I'd totally draw a picture of Nigel getting smashed at an orc rave or something.

Sadly I have none. I have decent writing talent, but not so much drawing talent.

No artistic talent needed! (Look at what I get away with with every update!) Writing talent is greatly appreciated as well, of course.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

: WHhooohHHHOH YEEAAAHHHH! *hic* VACATION PARTY! PARTY LIKE IT'S...Blood...Bloody...Bloodman, what year is it again?

: Chieftain, we are still in the middle of a war! You can't just declare that you're on vacation and expect the enemy to not do anything!

: Llllissssten up Bloodgut. Ever since we've got here these humans have done nothin' to sssssstop us. Nothin'. NOTHIN'! Sure they get in the way, but have they actually tried to attack ussssss? Like, really attack us? Noooooooooo...

: Maybe it's because you're incredibly drunk, but you sound disappointed.

: Loooooook...if I didn't have this war I'd be back on Draneor herding pigs or ssssssomee bullshit dumb poo poo that the lovely leaders we have would tell me to do. Buuuuuuutttttttt here I can fight humans an'...fight humans...

: Fight humans!

: An' elves, mon!

: Sssseeee. They get it. Is it too much to ask that I actually get a damned challenge? They said that Stormwind was invul - inval - inmpen - couldn't be smashed. But I smashed it! Twice!

: SMASH!

: Stromgarde, Dalaran, Kul Tiras...y'knnnoowwww what they all have in common, Bloodgut?

: Aside from Kul Tiras, you destroyed them?

: drat straight! Sooooo until the humans actually put up a decent fight, I. Am. On. Vacation. WHOOOOOOOO!

: VACATENING!

(I"m not apologizing for this, even it is incredibly stupid. :v:)

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Well... since I'm going to be vacationing this week, I'll accept this as your application for "substitute Azzur."

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

Azzur posted:

Well... since I'm going to be vacationing this week, I'll accept this as your application for "substitute Azzur."

Yay substitution!

Coming later this week I'll (probably not) have written the hit sequel to my dumb thing: Nigel's Vacation Party Part 2: Revenge Of The Hangover: Electric Boogaloo (Featuring Thrall from the Warcraft Series)

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You can't trick me Azzur quit warcraft forever

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Rodyle posted:

You can't trick me Azzur quit warcraft forever

Beep boop. I am a robot.

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Welcome to a new Warcraft LP!", "Victory!", "Death wagons!", "Magicks!";
return 0;
}

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

:ohdear:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Uh oh, I think you broke his script. I think we might need to call blizzard for a patch.

56 days later: The next update has Nigel revealed to be Well's real father and also Vilefeast was Blackhand all along, back from the dead to kill Darkweaver, who was a Dranei.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Bloodgut is revealed by his human name: Chris Metzger

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

THE BAR posted:

Don't they only take 10 gold for every 100 gained, until they're revealed?

While true for Warcraft 1 (there's still a video linked in the old WC1 LP that shows the AI taking only 5 gold per trip from the mine while it's unrevealed), this is not true for Warcraft 2. Even while unrevealed, the AI takes 100 gold out of the mine per trip. If you've got an active AI enemy, and you want to steal their gold mine, you best be prepared!

One little quirk some people like to exploit on these maps, if they're willing to take long enough, is how the AI behaves once the gold mine in their base runs dry.

They will begin to attempt long-distance mining from the next closest mine, regardless of the dangers in the way. So, if you know what Gold Mine is their next target, you can place some defenses around it, and slaughter their defenseless workers mercilessly, and the AI will keep dumping their gold into making more workers to try and long-distance mine that gold. With patience, this can be kept up until their gold runs out entirely, leaving them ripe for the picking.

This simply takes an eternity and a half, which is where that "patience" comes into play.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This brings back a memory- the first time I saw enemy peasants infiltrating my base bent on this very task. My Gold Mine was their target- the enemy ran out before I did. My rings of Towers and Ogre or Troll sentries was enough to keep out their Knights- peasants fared little better and I didn’t understand what was going on until I had a Zeppelin fly over their base. Clearly it was time to stop defending in isolation and raid. I hadn’t exactly planned on that strategy, but this wasn’t the first time I used it.

Note how in our most recent map the Gold Island had defenders but no Town Hall and we have to knock down Human buildings to get space for our Hall. This means the Mine is meant for the player. The AI isn’t smart enough that I’ve seen to knock down its own structures or use Transports to aid Gold Mining (I don’t think it is anyway), so we’ll probably get that Gold before they do even if they run out.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
Tossing on to Gold Mine/Peasant chat, what I always find funny and frustrating is this little bit after clearing out an enemy base. If you didn't catch every peasant, you may find them built up in the next enemy's base, sort of parasitizing their income without really contributing much*. It reminds me of playing 2v2 maps on WC3 or Starcraft with absolutely awful friends.

"Come on, man, I just need a little bit of resource."

"Yeah, sure, I-"

"Oh, no wait, you have a perfectly good gold mine here. I'll just mine from that, too."

DEFEAT.

*Source: Four separate recordings of Human Mission 2 with me screaming in frustration: "But I killed you! WHY DO YOU STILL HAVE MORE TROOPS?!"

Azzur fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 30, 2018

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

BlazetheInferno posted:

While true for Warcraft 1 (there's still a video linked in the old WC1 LP that shows the AI taking only 5 gold per trip from the mine while it's unrevealed), this is not true for Warcraft 2. Even while unrevealed, the AI takes 100 gold out of the mine per trip. If you've got an active AI enemy, and you want to steal their gold mine, you best be prepared!

Ah, right, thanks.

It's odd how you can never truly replace the earthy atmosphere that games like WC1 had. 3D graphics really don't compare to the darker pixel palette. Same with Blackthorne; they complimented each other well!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

achtungnight posted:

Note how in our most recent map the Gold Island had defenders but no Town Hall and we have to knock down Human buildings to get space for our Hall. This means the Mine is meant for the player. The AI isn’t smart enough that I’ve seen to knock down its own structures or use Transports to aid Gold Mining (I don’t think it is anyway), so we’ll probably get that Gold before they do even if they run out.

I honestly don't think the Warcraft 2 AI knows how to expand, or use transports to mine from an island-goldmine. At best, if they lose their main base they might build near another gold mine elsewhere, but actually building an EXTRA base there is, I think, beyond what they're capable of - or at the very least programmed to do in the campaigns.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Azzur posted:

Beep boop. I am a robot.

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "Welcome to a new Warcraft LP!", "Victory!", "Death wagons!", "Magicks!";
return 0;
}

What does it say about me that my first thought was "but it will always only print Welcome to a new Warcraft LP"? :v:

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Xarn posted:

What does it say about me that my first thought was "but it will always only print Welcome to a new Warcraft LP"? :v:

I don't know poo poo about computers. I was a robot made only to draw lovely and talk about orcs. What sort of robot knows of it's own birth?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Azzur posted:

I don't know poo poo about computers. I was a robot made only to draw lovely and talk about orcs. What sort of robot knows of it's own birth?

Now don't sell yourself short, sometimes you talk about dwarfs as well.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

NewMars posted:

Now don't sell yourself short, sometimes you talk about dwarfs as well.

Well no system is perfect.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Cooked Auto posted:

Well no system is perfect.

Hey now, dwarves are awesome and I love them. I mean a flat +2 bonus to saving throws versus spells?!

: For the love of... turn into a sheep already! I have Spell Focus (Transmutation)!

: Gwahahaha! All my feats are fer hittin' an' drinkin'!

Azzur fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 2, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Dragons, Part Two: Lovecraft Meets Warcraft

Lore for... Mutiny on the High Seas

Hey, wait a minute, Azzur! This mission didn't even have any dragons in it, so why is the Lore about dragons? What gives?

For our more canny-eyed readers, you may have noticed one very important dragon that made an appearance. But we'll get to that in a moment. Where were we last time? Oh, that's right, the five dragon flights were just created! This is absolutely a good thing, right? Now Azeroth has a set of homegrown protectors in the dragons, each empowered with a different element from the titan creators. In particular, Neltharion was given command over the element of earth and stone. This meant that the very land itself spoke to him! ...except that the land had god-like Lovecraftian horrors imprisoned within. So sometimes the earth spoke to him and sometimes Old Gods spoke to him. That's gotta get confusing.

: Hey, Azeroth, how's it going?

: Yo, Nelth, whaddup? S'all good, man. Just chillin'.

: Good poo poo, good poo poo. What should we do today? Maybe check up on those panda dudes? Eat some trolls?

: WE SHOULD RULE THIS LAND.

: That was absolutely gonna be my next choice.

So after about 50,000 years of this, Neltharion falls sway to the whispers that he hears in his head constantly and decides that it's suddenly a good idea to craft up a secret weapon. Sort of like the fantasy version of a nuke. With the help of some goblins, he creates the Dragon Soul: a small golden disc that had the power to... uh... I guess really do whatever it needed to do at the time. Neltharion's original stated purpose of the Dragon Soul was to combat the Burning Legion after a really dumb highbourne elf queen decided to SUMMON THEM DIRECTLY TO AZEROTH. But that's, again, a story for another time. The Aspect of Earth took the opportunity to have the other Dragon Aspects lend their power to the Dragon Soul, which super-charged the already insanely powerful item and also made it able to hold powerful sway over those who gave a portion of their strength to this artifact.

Neltharion, as you may imagine, didn't give up his power at all. Not sure how he pulled that one off.

"Pssshhhewww... That's the noise it makes when I give it my power, guys. Don't worry. TOTALLY filling this thing full of my energy."

It also, fortunately made Neltharion immune to the effects of the Dragon Soul. So he made a super weapon that allowed him to destroy anyone and anything and also it couldn't be used against him. (I think I used to play Cops and Robbers with a kid like this. Constantly had a super-duper machine gun that could kill anyone but only he could use. Looks like Neltharion plays by the same rules.) So with his newfound fantasy nuke™, Neltharion and the rest of the Dragon Aspects charged at the Burning Legion that was attacking the night elves (Who I know we haven't talked about as of WC2, but all the lore bits are tied up between the various games at this point!). The Aspect of Earth unleashed the Dragon Soul and annihilated thousands of demons with a single burst of energy. Yay! He also took out huge swathes of elves and dragons, too; including most of Malygos's blue dragonflight. Ah, poo poo. Heel turn, motherfuckers.

Of course, after a show of power like that, he does the only thing that anyone would do: command everyone to bow to him as their new lord and ruler. Demons, too. This was, of course, not cool.

So the dragons turn on Neltharion, but, oh yeah, he's got a super weapon that is super effective against the other dragonflights. He tears through them like tissues, but even he has to retreat under the assault of literally everyone else in the world. Also the immense amount of power (and also the corruption from the Old Gods, I guess?) starts just loving up Neltharion's body. His chest and scales crack open and magma starts pouring out of him. Thankfully, he's still got goblin slaves (for... some reason) who are able to just bolt on some adamantium plates around his body to keep him from falling apart. Just normal poo poo you do.

And lo, Chris Metzen did look upon his creation and say, “Tis rad as gently caress.”

From that day forth, Neltharion was gone. Now he was DEATHWING. Also everyone started calling the Dragon Soul the "Demon Soul," but whatever.

After that, a bunch of irrelevant stuff happens and Deathwing gets the Dragon Demon Soul stolen from him. The Dragon Aspects use their powers to stop Deathwing from ever using the Demon Soul again and it is subsequently hidden away from him. Skipping ahead some... 10,000 years and the orcs arrive in Azeroth. Deathwing also conveniently discovered the location of the Demon Soul. He could also give people visions. For reasons. Can all dragons do this? Anyway, he uses these visions to lead the Dragonmaw Clan to the Demon Soul's location. The orcs then use the Demon Soul to capture the Aspect of Life, Alexstraza. This may all sound familiar.

So after the Second War went all to hell, what did Deathwing get up to? He started cosplaying!

“So you're saying Dominic Cooper would play me in a movie? Oh, Lord Prestor, you flatter me!”

Introducing Lord Daval Prestor! You see, Deathwing saw an opportunity to destroy the Alliance from within (Because without the Alliance, the orcs win, and if the orcs win, then the Burning Legion Wins, and if the Burning Legion wins, they might end up accidentally freeing the Old Gods. Why yes, I do smell burning toast. Why do you ask?) and posed as an Alterac noble so that he could turn the humans against each other. He also wants to restore his black dragonflight to their former glory (since, y'know, they're sort of seen as "kill on sight" after the poo poo he pulled). So now he comes to the Horde with a proposal: He trades some of his dragons and information from within the Alliance council to the orcs so long as he can get safe passage into Draenor with his clutch of eggs.

The orcs have a mole. And it's a dragon with god-like power. Man, I really feel like Deathwing was going about this all wrong. He has the power to murder his way through the world, but he gets caught up in the political machinations of mortals? I mean, alright man. Just change the name from Deathwing to Bureaucracywing and we're cool.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 2, 2018

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Those little dark grey shadows add a lot of depth to those drawings. It's subtle, but effective.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
When I first bought BtDP, all the manual said about Deathwing was that he was a super-tough black Dragon with armor plating grafted to his body. Nothing about demons, old gods, or impersonation of human nobility. That all came later. I honestly have mixed feelings about it. I like the ideas, but can’t say I completely approve of every plot twist.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

achtungnight posted:

When I first bought BtDP, all the manual said about Deathwing was that he was a super-tough black Dragon with armor plating grafted to his body. Nothing about demons, old gods, or impersonation of human nobility. That all came later. I honestly have mixed feelings about it. I like the ideas, but can’t say I completely approve of every plot twist.

All I know is that Deathwing's design is heavy metal as hell and I love it.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

achtungnight posted:

:same:

I remember scrunching up my face confusedly when I saw his design in Cataclysm and complaining to a friend of mine. Of course he just said, "Yeah, but he looks badass." And he was right.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

achtungnight posted:

Honestly, the BTDP manual was before the different dragonflights even existed yet, in lore.

Even the cancelled "Lord of the Clans" game with Thrall didn't feature that little twist of lore yet, instead depicting Alexstrasza as merely a dragonqueen, and not some ultra-powerful "Aspect of Life", and Neltharion actually being depicted as her unruly son, instead of effectively her sibling, and leader of his own flight.

Deathwing may have been powerful, but he also knew the value of working behind the scenes instead of out in the open. Strong as he was, he kinda didn't want to fight the entire world all at once again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Chris Metzen has been on record that one of his greatest regrets with Warcraft's story is making the dragons anything more than beasts. He really doesn't like them being sentient and the Aspects and all that.

Probably why they've been depowered and most of the Aspects are dead in WoW.