Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Throw the quickdraw in the trash and stick missiles on the centurion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Jumpjet mobility seems worthless in the face of bulwark heavy gun mechs

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Night10194 posted:

I gave the Quickdraw as many lasers and SRMs as I could and then named it Big Ted and that seems to have worked out.

How do we name our mechs!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Koorisch posted:

So how do you guys build your Quickdraws and Jagermechs (both variants)?

My Jager has 2 AC/20 and shreds rear end

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

sebmojo posted:

Yeah I posted a .json tweak earlier that helps a bit. Could we get it in the op?

abuse your moderator powers imo (or is that admin, i forget)

anyway yeah those audioConstants.json tweaks helped a lot, and when i'm feeling REALLY impatient there's the debug menu since i put in the registry edit

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Draynar posted:

How do we name our mechs!

Click on the mech name during refit and you can do things like name your Centurion Missile King so you know his job is to be king of missiles.

Chaos341
Aug 13, 2010
Gotta love when the reinforcement lance is all LRM carriers that shell your lance into oblivion without even being detected.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
gently caress ME. I'M A loving IDIOT.

My first 2.5 Skull mission, too. :cripes:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

School Nickname posted:

gently caress ME. I'M A loving IDIOT.

My first 2.5 Skull mission, too. :cripes:

what in tarnation

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Always pick 3/* salvage if you can afford it. The payout is pretty much always better in the long run because you can sell all the mechs you assemble but don't plan to field.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Always pick 3/* salvage if you can afford it. The payout is pretty much always better in the long run because you can sell all the mechs you assemble but don't plan to field.

Having to wait for that long run to start Argo upgrades sucks though :(

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Skippy McPants posted:

You tack this on as a throwaway, but the minuscule heat generation is the #1 upside of the Gauss Rifle and the reason it's a beast in pretty much every iteration of Battletech. Like, that AC/5 combo does around 15% more damage at similar tonnage, but it slops out four times as much heat.

Even with DHS and Clan tech, the weapon is a strong contender. Turned loose in a world with nothing but piddly single heat sinks and standard engines, it is a terror. And that's without considering the stability damage they tacked on! It's a good thing they only give you one, cause I'd plaster them on every single mech if I could.

It's definitely the best hole punching weapon with a range > 270m, but my point was that the low heat is offset by its relatively poor damage per weight ratio (and weight directly converts to heat dissipation because heatsinks exist).

All things being equal, lighter, hotter weapons are more desirable than heavier, cooler ones because heatsinks work every turn even if you're not actively generating heat. A gauss rifle that generated 15 more heat per shot but was 5 tons lighter would be significantly better.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Been having a good time. Just did the escape story mission, which was not easy. Got some nice gear though.

Turns out the highlander is pretty good with double AC20s. The thing rips though anything and everything it can reach.

Black knights are pretty good, but the stock design is TERRIBLE. My favorite loadout for it involves medium and small lasers everywhere, and a bunch of heatsinks. The TTS with +accuracy to energy weapons is very much appreciated too. This actually has enough heat efficiency to keep putting out damage in most situations.

That highlander is scary, but do you not have issues with getting into range with such a slow mech? Do you just sprint in on the first turn of combat most of the time? I have mine set up with the gauss rifle and 2 LRM 20s and getting 95% to hit on everything from the first turn of combat is amazing. Also please put JJs on your BK, it suits the mech rediculously well.

Related, has anyone actually seen a "heat exchanger" in the wild yet?

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Jumpjet mobility seems worthless in the face of bulwark heavy gun mechs

You can do both, it owns. Jump into the most perfectly annoying position and then don't move until the other guy dies.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 28, 2018

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of injuries, could you theoretically get two or more hits on the head in a single attack, like with a massive LRM called shot? Or is it limited to one injury from head damage per attack?

According to THIS, at least with volley attacks, "only check for a head hit on the first bullet/missile. If it doesn't hit the head, none of them will. If it does, only that one shot will strike the head out of the whole volley."

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Libluini posted:

A Battletech turn is supposed to be 10 seconds, right? That would mean those tanks are traveling at roughly 198 km/hour. Speedy little buggers. :v:

I think it's 8 seconds actually. 200 km/hour tanks and yet my 31st century long range missiles have a max range that's about a third of what a Sherman tank could hit with its main cannon in 1943.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I honestly want to say LRM or SRM carriers are actually the scariest enemies in the game. They die easy... but holy gently caress the missile spam I dropped into a battle mission where the enemy had 3 LRM carriers and they insta ganked my guy in a Centurion.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I think I tracked down why Urbanmechs never appear.

It's specifically set not to appear in all of the dynamic lance files :(

Every lance file I've looked at has the following

quote:

"excludedUnitTagSet" : {
"items" : [
"unit_noncombatant",
"unit_urbie"
],
"tagSetSourceFile" : "Tags/UnitTags"
}

:( Why do you hate the things I love, HBS.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I think it's 8 seconds actually. 200 km/hour tanks and yet my 31st century long range missiles have a max range that's about a third of what a Sherman tank could hit with its main cannon in 1943.

The fluff on this is that everyone is using tons of ECM constantly and mech armour is some kind of amazing wonder material that's incredibly light and strong which means weapon design had to adjust in order to actually penetrate it, explaining the short ranges.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is it just be or does the SS version of Thunderbolt suck? That's the one that's basically energy only.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Yeah the 80s were pretty stupid with their conception of technology

Like an M1 Abrams weighs as much as a Jagermech

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

A gauss rifle that generated 15 more heat per shot but was 5 tons lighter would be significantly better.

It wouldn't because you'd need additional 5 Sinks to deal with the extra heat, which negates the tonnage gained and chews up critical space. For most mechs, heat is the biggest restrictor on damage and being able to spend a chunk of on tonnage on what is effectively heat free damage is huge.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Is LRM OP? It does high damage, has great dmg/weigh ratio, has long range, not that much heat, can knock down. I want to try some brawler build but one wrong move (getting detected without bracing) and you are toast in most of the later mission from the sheer amount of missiles on the field. I guess maybe at very high difficulty (I am mostly at 4 skulls right now) you can run into ammo issue but after firing off all missiles my pristine missile mech will still beat up whatever's left in melee.

I am getting flashback from XCOM where I want to try to move forward to flank but that'll just end up running into more enemy. Most of the time it seems slowly kiting your enemy is the safest and most effective way to do it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Saddest Robot posted:

:( Why do you hate the things I love, HBS.

Kiva mentioned they were set that way because Urbies were breaking the group AI pathfinding because they're soooo sloowww.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Liquid Communism posted:

"Pay us to make a sequel and you'll get the Clans."

Sold. Take my money and gimme dat Mad Cat. Maybe take time to crank out another SR:Returns game in between because I need both flavors of FASA crack to fulfill my addictions.

The gently caress is a Mad Cat, don't you dare besmirch the mighty Timber Wolf with that ignorant-rear end IS moniker.

Night10194 posted:

Clantech is insanely boring, though. It's just exactly what you already have, but at less weight and more range.

IT tech is insanely boring, though. It's just exactly what you already have, but at more weight and less range.

Clantech is cool because it looks cooler and that's all that matters. :colbert: I am definitely not biased by MW2 and Ghost Bear being some of my fondest childhood gaming memories (Mercs was dope too but MW2 made me a Clan die-hard).

The Clans in general are actually a pretty neat setting, if you get past the "We're just better and cooler at everything." There's a ton of meat in there for games and I hope it gets explored more. IS is fine and all but I'd love a game based in Clan space. The way they resolve disputes and the whole trial bidding process would make extremely good meat for a multiplayer mode as well.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

pedro0930 posted:

Is LRM OP? It does high damage, has great dmg/weigh ratio, has long range, not that much heat, can knock down. I want to try some brawler build but one wrong move (getting detected without bracing) and you are toast in most of the later mission from the sheer amount of missiles on the field. I guess maybe at very high difficulty (I am mostly at 4 skulls right now) you can run into ammo issue but after firing off all missiles my pristine missile mech will still beat up whatever's left in melee.

I am getting flashback from XCOM where I want to try to move forward to flank but that'll just end up running into more enemy. Most of the time it seems slowly kiting your enemy is the safest and most effective way to do it.

My only issue with LRMS is sandpapering targets... sometimes its satisfying to have your top marksman in a hunchback just insta gib a light with a CT shot.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ccubed posted:

According to THIS, at least with volley attacks, "only check for a head hit on the first bullet/missile. If it doesn't hit the head, none of them will. If it does, only that one shot will strike the head out of the whole volley."

Aha, so there IS a reason for four LRM5s over an LRM20.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

pokie posted:

Is it just be or does the SS version of Thunderbolt suck? That's the one that's basically energy only.

I named mine Disco Stu, just shoved on a shitload of mlas and hs and said go nuts

Good odds of scoring small sandpapering at long range, high but sandpaper alpha at close range, monstrous with precision strike

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, I just grabbed a Quickdraw and a Centurion from the moon story mission and am staring at them wondering what to do with them, to be honest. Sticking Glitch and her multi-target skill in the Shadowhawk helped immensely in the early game and I lucked out and got a Panther from salvage earlier too.

The moon mission gave me a Centurion and another Shadow Hawk. I left my Hawks basically as stock versions, just slowly upgrading their weapons to better versions but the Centurion got some special treatment: A 10LRM++-battery, 2 medium lasers and a AC5 and all the armor in the world. That thing may not be that impressing people with its firepower, but I'm using it as a mobile ram to just soak up fire and smash fools apart. Simple, but glorious. :allears:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Sheep posted:

Speaking of that particular mission, about how far along into the game is that? And can you keep mercenarying it up once the game is "over"? I just finished that mission and extracted back to 'safe' space so wondering how much is left.

You've got a fair bit more campaign to go after SPOILERTOWN and you can keep mercenarying it up after the end of the campaign You even get another spoiler after finishing the very last mission but every mission is 4-5 skulls so expect assaults and heavies as far as the eye can see. The repair bills and dead rookies as I've tried to get more decent pilots in the postgame have been absolutely brutal. Any pilot with only 3 or 4 hits might as well be an effortless kill with how much knockdown and missiles to the head gets thrown around.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

AttackBacon posted:

The gently caress is a Mad Cat, don't you dare besmirch the mighty Timber Wolf with that ignorant-rear end IS moniker.

IT tech is insanely boring, though. It's just exactly what you already have, but at more weight and less range.

Clantech is cool because it looks cooler and that's all that matters. :colbert: I am definitely not biased by MW2 and Ghost Bear being some of my fondest childhood gaming memories (Mercs was dope too but MW2 made me a Clan die-hard).

The Clans in general are actually a pretty neat setting, if you get past the "We're just better and cooler at everything." There's a ton of meat in there for games and I hope it gets explored more. IS is fine and all but I'd love a game based in Clan space. The way they resolve disputes and the whole trial bidding process would make extremely good meat for a multiplayer mode as well.

It's possible to like the clans aesthetically while also acknowledging how much objectively worse the make the game in terms of actually playing it. Unless you're the kind of player who likes winning because your stuff is just better than everyone else's in every way then idk what to say

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The game could really benefit from not limiting you to a squad of 4, but rather max tonnage per mission. Increases over time with upgrades, of course, but it would be extremely helpful to PvP as well I feel like.

I just watched Beagle finish the campaign and basically for the last 3 days he's been running all assault mechs because bigger mechs is always better. There's no reason to bring lighter mechs and it sucks.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Eej posted:

It's possible to like the clans aesthetically while also acknowledging how much objectively worse the make the game in terms of actually playing it. Unless you're the kind of player who likes winning because your stuff is just better than everyone else's in every way then idk what to say

I never played the TT so I don't have an opinion on how the Clans affected that game. My frame of reference begins with Mechwarrior 2 and I think it's obvious to say that clan-tech was not an issue in that game, as everything was clan-tech. That is why I talk about games set in Clan space or that have you playing as the Clans. That's what I really want. If the campaign was you as a Clan mechwarrior then balance between IS/Clan wouldn't matter (for the single player) since they could just balance the campaign around the difference (you will typically be outnumbered etc). Or have a game set in Clan space, like MW2. There's nothing objectively worse about any of those scenarios.

Incorporating the Clans into IS-focused games is always going to be problematic because their poo poo is just straight better. To fix that you'd have to sacrifice the lore (or change it, which HBS could do) if the game is set in the era where the Clans had technological superiority, or set the game in a later time-period. But that's easily avoided by just making a Clan focused game.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
So I just did the mission where I had to destroy a control center in 15 turns and also hacking the defense turrets within 6 turns.

First try, I went down the narrow road towards the control center, and my lance was promptly turned to mush by opfor mechs.

Second try, I went down the forest next to the road and the AI kinda glitched out. They acted real dumb, just running around, not firing their weapons at the turrets or my team and kept bracing. Some of the mechs engaged only when my mechs got real close. Seems like they're having difficulty choosing which path (road vs forest) to take to get to me. I choose to believe it's them trying to find shelter away from the barrage of fire from the turrets. A win's a win regardless :smuggo:.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Its amazing how different a mission can go just from restarting it, doing the same thing you did before, and seeing how the AI/RNG treats you. This really is the authentic BattleTech experience. :v:

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Bussamove posted:

Its amazing how different a mission can go just from restarting it, doing the same thing you did before, and seeing how the AI/RNG treats you. This really is the authentic BattleTech experience. :v:

Weldry I went through without much damage, game crashes and I have to redo it... Jaeger shows up knocks my Vindicator with Behemoth in it over with help from the trebuchet and tear off every component of except the right leg before cockpitting them.

I just scrapped the Vindicator because lol replacing essentially the entire mech.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ciaphas posted:

abuse your moderator powers imo (or is that admin, i forget)

anyway yeah those audioConstants.json tweaks helped a lot, and when i'm feeling REALLY impatient there's the debug menu since i put in the registry edit

I only have those buttons for CC, I'm not a Games mod. I'd ask Video Games but I already got him to change the title, prefer not to badger him.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I managed to kill the pilot of banshee, getting myself three salvage. For a 95T mech though, it doesn't really seem significantly better than a black knight. It has a couple more spots for small lasers, I suppose. Is it meant for assault melee combat or something?

A lot of my kills are just coming from the highlander with double AC20s. A precision strike aiming for the core can one shot a LOT of mechs. I find myself using it all the time.

Honestly, I wouldn't be sad if I could have four mechs all packing double AC20s.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 29, 2018

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Malek Deneith posted:

Only you didn't. Kamea and co. were legging it from the place, trying to escape a whole battalion of mechs and support. And after they were gone Taurian Concordat and Directorate would take all those SLDF mechs and send them at you. Blowing the base was the smart choice here.

But then I'd get to headshot them and hoard them in my ship

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

my commander, behemoth, glitch, and dekker are all like 9/9/9/9 and now im like blap blap blap get cored pirate scum

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Ammo crate mission: The enemy has a powerful force that swarms you, and has turret fire support. But don't worry, there's things you can blow up to help thin them out! Except the AI knows to never, ever step in one of those blast zones. Hahaha good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Skippy McPants posted:

Ehh - the Middle Setting is often slightly better on mean cash payout.