Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Also, shredders seem kicking rad at Assault D6 S6 -1AP 1Dmg and re-roll failed wound rolls (8 points), but they have 12" range.

They seem powerful in Beer's calculator, which doesn't take into effect the re-roll failed wound rolls. But how often would DE be within 12" without a charge/being charged? 1x a game maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.
That’s really cool maths - my gut feel has definitely been that small kabalite units in raiders being a bit too efficient was what was making the army so powerful, but it’s great to see the maths worked through.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah, the math is really cool. I assumed that including the venom would lower the overall ppw efficiency because the unit gains so much resilience and mobility, but it's actually even better.

e: for context, venom blaster squads are "x" times as efficient as raider DL squads

vH: 2.3
vM: 1.5
vV: 0.7

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 28, 2018

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Alright, so your extra credit assignment - how does PPW look for a ten-cabalite squad in a raider with a splinter cannon, shredder and blaster in the squad, and a disintegrator on the raider? That potentially feels like the “other” good way to run them.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Zuul the Cat posted:

These look great. Good job!

Ilor posted:

These look fantastic and have not gotten enough love.

Thanks :) And on another positive note, I found the Plasma Cavalier clip! An hour's worth of searching found it buried at the bottom of a trashcan. Not quite sure if 2mm of plastic was worth the hour of digging through garbage, but at least now I won't have a Skitarii that bugs me to look at!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

One_Wing posted:

Alright, so your extra credit assignment - how does PPW look for a ten-cabalite squad in a raider with a splinter cannon, shredder and blaster in the squad, and a disintegrator on the raider? That potentially feels like the “other” good way to run them.

e: whoa hold the phone everyone! :siren:

I made a mistake in the model. For units with more than 3 weapon entries, the 4th and 5th weapons are not being calculated into the damage. This obviously impacts the big raider squads more. Not sure why this is happening but I don't have time to tinker with it now. For units with a 4th or 5th weapon, the killing output is not being calculated.

And double checking with previous army sheets show that the calculator can calculate 4th and 5th weapons (such as knights).

If somebody wants to tinker with it, take a look at row 47 "Kabalite Warriors (10) 2Blaster 1DL + Raider". Changing the # of weapons between 3 and 4 doesn't alter the outcomes, which means the model isn't calculating the 4th weapon. Same pattern also impacts row 53 and other entries with more than 3 weapons

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 28, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

gender illusionist posted:

Thanks, I'll go for that - I take it the 'air' line are just pre thinned for airbrush but work fine for standard use?

I use VMA Silver for both airbrushing and brush work. I try to exclusively use airbrush paints since the consistency is so nice. VMA Silver is the base for my Primaris guys.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Also, after playing with the numbers thanks to the ~Incredible and Sexy Beer and his Incredible and Sexy Calculator~, the verdict is in: Venoms are the most heckin' efficient at killing.

I compared several compositions of kabalite warriors with different vehicles and special weapons. Assumptions:

1. Vehicle based Splinter Cannons would be in their 18" rapid fire range, and foot based SC's would not be in RF.
2. The numbers only look at the damage output, not survivability.
3. No obsessions were included.
4. Some weapons have weird rules that weren't factored into the calculator (like Haywire blasters causing D3 mortal wounds against vehicles when a wound roll of 6+ occurs).

To start, the simple and very efficient naked kabalite warrior squad. 5 models at 6 points each (30 total points). Points per wound:

vs Horde: 22
vs Marine: 54
vs Vehicle: 216

Decent, except against vehicles where the poison falters.

Let's compare them to the favored loadout of Lawrence Baker: 5 warriors w/ blaster in a venom with 2 splinter cannons's (122 total points). Points per wound:

vs Horde: 24
vs Marine: 52
vs Vehicle: 71

The venom loadout is essentially equal against hordes and marines, but vastly superior against vehicles. There is a really clean overlap in that the range of the anti-tank weapon (blaster) is the same as the RF range of the splinter cannon (18"). The ppw of this loadout are the de facto most efficient. Compared to raider squads, venom squads are significantly better versus hordes and marines, while slightly worse against vehicles.

Some of the on-foot kabalite squads have hypothetically similar point per wound efficiencies, but that involves stuff like dark lances which are heavy, and suffer movement/accuracy penalties. Shredders are also pretty cool but only have a 12" range. Scourges with shredders are also similarly efficient, but involve weird situations where they are likely to get blown away the next turn. So yeah, if you squint you can see some on-foot kabalite squads that are approximately as efficient at killing stuff. And that's just the damage output.

:parrot: But wait! There's more! The venom also provides a ton more movement and resilience. -1 to hit, T5, 6W, 4+/(5++ vs shooting). It provides this resilience while increasing the ppw efficiency of the 5-man kabal unit.

:siren: TLDR: Given plausible game situations, the most ppw efficient kabalite troop loadout is the 5 man w/ blaster in venom w/ 2 splinter cannons :siren:

Beep Boop M'spreadsheet. :fedora:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

e: whoa hold the phone everyone! :siren:

I made a mistake in the model. For units with more than 3 weapon entries, the 4th and 5th weapons are not being calculated into the damage. This obviously impacts the big raider squads more. Not sure why this is happening but I don't have time to tinker with it now. For units with a 4th or 5th weapon, the killing output is not being calculated.

And double checking with previous army sheets show that the calculator can calculate 4th and 5th weapons (such as knights).

If somebody wants to tinker with it, take a look at row 47 "Kabalite Warriors (10) 2Blaster 1DL + Raider". Changing the # of weapons between 3 and 4 doesn't alter the outcomes, which means the model isn't calculating the 4th weapon. Same pattern also impacts row 53 and other entries with more than 3 weapons

Looks like the references got screwed up, probably from folks inserting rows or something. That's what happens when you let engineers program things.

I'll fix it tonight.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Stephenls posted:

The Model Air metallics in specific seem to use a different formulation than the Model Color metallics, rather than just being pre-thinned.

yeah the model colors are expressly designed for airbrushing, they cover like poo poo when brushed. you can brush touchups to sprayed coats but that's it

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Forums Terrorist posted:

yeah the model colors are expressly designed for airbrushing, they cover like poo poo when brushed. you can brush touchups to sprayed coats but that's it

They cover really well for me.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I use VMA Silver for both airbrushing and brush work. I try to exclusively use airbrush paints since the consistency is so nice. VMA Silver is the base for my Primaris guys.

For some reason I thought you used the Vallejo Metal Colors for those. Either way they both seem to hold up really well under inks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booyah- posted:

For some reason I thought you used the Vallejo Metal Colors for those. Either way they both seem to hold up really well under inks.

They really do. The Liquitex stuff needs a couple of passes but I love the result.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Hey Uroboros I don't know if you've seen these buy they might go well with your ultramarine plans for adepticon next year: https://www.wildbangarang.com/collections/warhammer-leggings/products/warhammer-ultra-marines-leggings

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lungboy posted:

Vanguard it is then. 2 x Plasma thingers?

I'll give mine three, but yeah two should do.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Always build the maximum number of special weapons out of every Skitarii box because you only get one of each per sprue.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Lungboy posted:

Vanguard it is then. 2 x Plasma thingers?

Don't take what he said as a knock against Rangers. Rangers are cool and good.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Google fails me on this - does anyone know how many points the Forgebane box builds out to for each side?

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 29, 2018

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

Google fails me on this - does anyone know how many points the Forgebame box builds out to for each side?

719 for:
Dominus
2x 5 man skitarii squads, one ranger with arquebus, one vanguard with caliver
2x warglaives with meltaguns on top

532 for:
Cryptek with cloak
5 immortals
5 lychguard with sword and board
3 wraiths with whip coils

Points depends slightly on loadout, but there's a rough idea.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Won a tournament today with Tyranids. It was a 750 doubles tourney, so 1500 a side. Took 2 neurothropes, 2 biovores, a blob of genestealers and 3 sporocysts. Lucked out with every match being decided by objectives, because my partner and I got rocked on kill points every game.

My big strategy was mostly to poop out more spore mines than they could kill in a turn and throw a hundred dice with genestealers. Ended up having all my stuff focused down painfully while my teammate did donuts on objectives with rhino spam. A combination of tough as nails Deathguard squatting on objectives and Kraken tyranids bumrushing their own squatters meant we were able to take advantage of the tourney rules despite getting crushed every game.

As it turned out I was the only guy there with any unpainted models in their army, so now I guess I gotta paint these guys or look like a huge lazy tool.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I played my favorite game of 8th edition yet today.

It was against a surprisingly nasty gunline Black Templars Brigade. The idea behind the guys list was to make a Captain his warlord with the Storm of Fire trait, make him a chapter master and then give him the Crusaders Helm relic for a 9” bubble of rerolling all misses. This Chapter master supported a bunch of shooting focused Crusader squads, Hellblasters and Aggressors. He also had the relic banner on his Primaris Ancient that let stuff shoot again on a 3+.

Between this being my first post FAQ game and his list having a staggering amount of shooting the first turn was touch and go, although it did feature both of our Hellblasters completely crippling each other as we both had Ancients and each time a Hellblaster fell it would shoot one last time, killing an enemy hellblaster who would in turn shoot back when it died.

My reserves were an 8 man block of Sanguinary Guard supported by the Sanguinor and when they arrived on turn 2 they completely changed the game. The Guard wiped out a full five man crusader squad with shooting by their Angelis Boltguns and then made their charge along with The Sanguinor and killed or tied up a full half of my opponents army, fighting a second time with Honor the Chapter.

Of course during my opponents turn he withdrew everything from combat and shot the hell out of me, wiping the Sanguinary Guard and leaving the Sanguinor on a single wound. He tried to finish the last wound off with an assault squad but whiffed.

The Sanguinor proceeded to go on a rampage wiping the assault squad in a single round of combat and the following turn killing the enemy Chapter Master, dying to Only In Death Does Duty End and then using Only In Death Does Duty End himself to kill the Primaris Ancient as well.

For the remainder of the game we sort of slapped at each other ineffectually as the majority of the stuff on the table was dead, but I was able to sneak out a close objective victory on turn 5.

My opponent was a great guy and the game was incredibly close the entire time, although after The Sanguinor killed off his buffing characters the momentum was very much with me.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Anybody mind giving me an outside opinion on a Tyranid list?

1998 points

3 Carnifexes
26 Hormagaunts
Broodlord with 19 Genestealers
2 Tervigons and a unit of 25 Termagants
3 Venomthropes
4 Zoanthropes
2 units of 3x Hive Guard each
3 Biovores

Hormagaunts and Carnifexes would run at the front of the pack; Carnifexes mostly to soak up heavier firepower that might otherwise be targeting my Tervigons, Hormagaunts to be a fast threat with hopefully a turn two charge. Middle of the pack would be Tervigons/Termagants for bodies and massed fire power, spawned Termagant units going after objectives and the Brood Lord/Genestealer pack for melee punch, as much stuff as possible under the Venomthrope bubble and Zoanthropes providing backup synapse as well as psyker powers. Hive guard and Biovores at the back launching long range on priority targets. Everything hive fleet leviathan because I have it all painted that way anyway and I like the idea of having a horde army with 6++ on just about everything and Venomthrope cover.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

bird food bathtub posted:

1998 points

3 Carnifexes
26 Hormagaunts
3 Venomthropes
4 Zoanthropes
3 Biovores

Hormagaunts and Carnifexes would run at the front of the pack; Carnifexes mostly to soak up heavier firepower that might otherwise be targeting my Tervigons, Hormagaunts to be a fast threat with hopefully a turn two charge. Middle of the pack would be Tervigons/Termagants for bodies and massed fire power, spawned Termagant units going after objectives and the Brood Lord/Genestealer pack for melee punch, as much stuff as possible under the Venomthrope bubble and Zoanthropes providing backup synapse as well as psyker powers. Hive guard and Biovores at the back launching long range on priority targets. Everything hive fleet leviathan because I have it all painted that way anyway and I like the idea of having a horde army with 6++ on just about everything and Venomthrope cover.

What are your Carnifexes equipped with? This is important.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Has anyone tried running primaris in a brigade? I'm tempted to try it just because I can, but the only list I'm able to come up with seems lacking and not worth the extra command points. Thinking:

Azrael
Primaris LT w/ Heavenfall blade
Primaris LT with boltgun
1x 3Agressors
2x Primaris Ancient
3x 5 bolter Scouts w/ heavy bolter
3x 5 Intercessor - SGT w/ power sword
2x 3 bolter Inceptors
1x 3 plasma Inceptor
3x 5 Hellblasters

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Master Twig posted:

What are your Carnifexes equipped with? This is important.

Default dual scything talons. They're mostly a threat to absorb high power shots when going against gun lines. Convenient if they actually get into a fight and can chew up some high power targets, but I don't really expect it to play out that way all the time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mef989 posted:

Has anyone tried running primaris in a brigade? I'm tempted to try it just because I can, but the only list I'm able to come up with seems lacking and not worth the extra command points. Thinking:

Azrael
Primaris LT w/ Heavenfall blade
Primaris LT with boltgun
1x 3Agressors
2x Primaris Ancient
3x 5 bolter Scouts w/ heavy bolter
3x 5 Intercessor - SGT w/ power sword
2x 3 bolter Inceptors
1x 3 plasma Inceptor
3x 5 Hellblasters

Honestly I think you're better off with two battalions.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly I think you're better off with two battalions.

Yeah, the change to 5 and 12 basically killed brigades imo. Unless you are detachment limited 2 batallions is almost always better.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Forums Terrorist posted:

Echoing Beer4theBeerGod - I've moved over to buying Model/Game Air paints wherever possible now since they're so much nicer to use even for brushpainting.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

10 man units for Vanguard then? I'm guessing a data tether but what for the Alpha?

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

1998 points

3 Carnifexes
26 Hormagaunts
3 Venomthropes
4 Zoanthropes
3 Biovores

Two Tervigons isn’t worth it - in matched play you have to pay reinforcement points for new units they spawn, so one buffing and re-spawning into a large unit of termagaunts can be fun, but the second will do nothing.

If you’ve got Zoanthropes you definitely want a Neurothrope - they’re good on pure rate, and they’re thus fantastic if they’re also buffing/healing Zoanthropes.

Finally, you’re basically missing out if you’re not running an Exocrine.

I’d suggest:
-1 Tervigon
-1 Biovore

+1 Neurothrope
+1 Exocrine
+ a few termagaunts to the big unit with the change.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

XPost from the Oath Thread, making it Orky!

Zark the Damned posted:

Oath Complete!

Bonus pic of all the stuff I did this season for my Heretic Orkstartes army:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
That's incredible.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Love it.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Felime posted:

Yeah, the change to 5 and 12 basically killed brigades imo. Unless you are detachment limited 2 batallions is almost always better.

Guard might benefit from a brigade. Sentinels are so cheap that it could be worht it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

S.J. posted:

You can just use a generic chapter master if you want to save the points, right? Are deepstriking vanguard at least okay enough at assault to bother with? Do Land Raiders completely suck rear end anymore?
Yeah, I've used generic captains and chapter masters a bunch. Land Raiders are pretty good in my experience, but you want to screen them to keep them from getting tied up in assault. As for vanguard vets, I only have the old Sword Brethren models for mine so they're usually in a transport. They're not super effective unless you have a lot of character support for rerolls and such.

Bombogenesis posted:

Why do you hate yourself?

I was raised Catholic

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

The Sex Cannon posted:

Guard might benefit from a brigade. Sentinels are so cheap that it could be worht it.

Yeah, I would always be taking a 3rd HQ, some cheap elite units and some heavy support anyway. 3 Scout Sentinels with heavy flamers is 156 points - might be useful to swap them with something else, but they are great at pushing away deep strikes etc even with the new FAQ rules.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

Yeah, I've used generic captains and chapter masters a bunch. Land Raiders are pretty good in my experience, but you want to screen them to keep them from getting tied up in assault. As for vanguard vets, I only have the old Sword Brethren models for mine so they're usually in a transport. They're not super effective unless you have a lot of character support for rerolls and such.

I was raised Catholic

I seriously cannot overstate how much work a generic Chapter Master with Storm of Fire and the Crusaders helm got done in my game yesterday. I was legitimately going to get tabled turn 2 by Black Templar shooting if I missed a couple charges.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 29, 2018

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Pendent posted:

I was legitimately going to get tabled turn 2 by Black Templar shooting if I missed a couple charges.

everything about that sentence is so hosed up

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

everything about that sentence is so hosed up

Agreed, shameful Templars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
I am assuming Slamguinious is still viable?