Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

The trailer for Miami Vice (the one with that weird Jay-Z / Linkin Park mashup) is a loving masterwork.

I was talking about the show, but the movie's dope too. And yeah, I was hype for that movie as a 12-year-old after I saw that trailer in the theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

The trailer for Miami Vice (the one with that weird Jay-Z / Linkin Park mashup) is a loving masterwork.

Oh there's more than one of those.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_Course_(album)

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Miami Vice film loving rules and they use that song masterfully during a club scene in the opening sequence

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tim Whatley posted:

Miami Vice film loving rules and they use that song masterfully during a club scene in the opening sequence

it does, and the whole soundtrack is fantastic. TWO Mogwai songs are used to stunning effect

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't like S2 of 3% at all. Without the game, the world is just a particularly dull, cookie-cutter future dystopia, and the story is just some boring and convoluted "Who's on whose side?" stuff.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I always had this aversion to the Miami Vice film because whenever it was on TV back in Portugal, the commercials would ALWAYS include the scene where some bartender mentions being from Lisbon. For some reason my homeland can only alternate between “OMG Hollywood knows we exist!” pathetic patriotism (see also all our NCIS: Los Angeles ads that essentially turn it into The Daniela Ruah Show) and utter self loathing.

Also the bits I saw of it were chock full of digital noise.

Silly reasons I know. Guess I should give the movie a chance then?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 28, 2018

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes
OK What in the hell is this Hercules movie that's playing on Netflix. This is NOT the movie that was released in the 90s. Am I crazy? I almost fought my wife over this.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Sneeing Emu posted:

OK What in the hell is this Hercules movie that's playing on Netflix. This is NOT the movie that was released in the 90s. Am I crazy? I almost fought my wife over this.

God's not Dead? Yeah, definitely takes some liberties with the mythology.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sneeing Emu posted:

Who are the actors?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sneeing Emu posted:

This one?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sneeing Emu posted:

there's a shitzillion hercules movies, if it's not the 90s Disney one or the 90s Kevin Sorbo TV show it's probably the weird Cannon Films one from the 80s or the one from 2014 with The Rock (or its mockbuster with... Kellan Lutz, I think?)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Didn’t Disney make 1-2 direct to video sequels, as was their want at the time.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Give me The short lived Young Hercules show starring Ryan Gosling.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

there's a shitzillion hercules movies, if it's not the 90s Disney one or the 90s Kevin Sorbo TV show it's probably the weird Cannon Films one from the 80s or the one from 2014 with The Rock (or its mockbuster with... Kellan Lutz, I think?)

The 2014 one with The Rock was way better than it had any right being.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

married but discreet posted:

God's not Dead? Yeah, definitely takes some liberties with the mythology.

loving lol

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Yeah it's that one. The cast and plot are the same, but it's... different. It looks like the animation was modernized, and there are songs that were definitely not in the original. Either that or I have dementia.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sneeing Emu posted:

Yeah it's that one. The cast and plot are the same, but it's... different. It looks like the animation was modernized, and there are songs that were definitely not in the original. Either that or I have dementia.

It's likely the latter, but I'm going to watch right now to verify.

Edit: It's the exact same movie, dude. Apologize to your wife.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 29, 2018

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

/r/glitchinthematrix

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

Nihonniboku posted:

It's likely the latter, but I'm going to watch right now to verify.

Edit: It's the exact same movie, dude. Apologize to your wife.

Son of a bitch. Going in for an MRI.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sneeing Emu posted:

When did Nelson Mandela die in your timeline?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
WHAT DO YOU CALL THE CHILDREN'S BOOKS ABOUT A BEAR FAMILY?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

WHAT DO YOU CALL THE CHILDREN'S BOOKS ABOUT A BEAR FAMILY?

The Shazam Bears, by Sinbad. Why?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's worth noting that Disney does remaster their stuff pretty often (you probably last saw it on VHS or an early DVD, hence why the animation looks prettier, aside from the CGI hydra which looks like poo poo nowadays) and, while I'm not really sure if they did it for Hercules, they have George Lucas'd new songs into a movie before (coughloving Morning Reportcough)

e: I googled around for the music situation on Hercules, and if you lived in a foreign country at one point, you probably saw it with different ending credits music, at the very least: for whatever reason, the English-language audio uses a reprise of "A Star is Born" over the opening credits, whereas some foreign dubs according to Wikipedia use Belinda Carlisle's version of I Won't Say (I'm In Love). the Ricky Martin version of Go the Distance from the Spanish dub was also released as a single in the US and Latin America and got some airplay as a legitimate breakaway hit (because Ricky Martin + 1997 = use your goddamn head here), but I'd be surprised if that really affected your memory of the movie, unless you're hispanohablante you might not have even realized what song it was. :v:

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 29, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it's worth noting that Disney does remaster their stuff pretty often (you probably last saw it on VHS or an early DVD, hence why the animation looks prettier, aside from the CGI hydra which looks like poo poo nowadays) and, while I'm not really sure if they did it for Hercules, they have George Lucas'd new songs into a movie before (coughloving Morning Reportcough)

Yeah, this is why I rewatched it to double check. I know that at least with Beauty in the Beast, they reinserted a song and scene that was originally written but cut from the original release. So I thought maybe they might have done that with Hercules.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Can someone explain what the deal with Shoutfactory is? Do they have commercials? How are they free?

It looks like the runtime of Decline of Western Civilization is about 20 minutes longer on Shoutfactory than on Starz.com but skimming through I'm not sure where this comes from.

I did see that The Stunt Man is on the site, it's been years since I've seen it and I remember it as being very good so I will give it a watch.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
I can recommend both of the Mortified titles on Netflix. I had no idea what it was and wasn't really interested until wife put it on one night. It's pleasantly cathartic and funny. The producers do a great job of coaching the performers, all of whom are excellent readers (not surprising considering they are reading their own diaries). It's funnier and more profound than most stand-up I watch.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I put on Valerian thinking it was the bad Wachowski movie but it turned out it was actually a Luc Besson move and I found it to be very enjoyable and one of the most fun movies I have seen in a long time.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

So this isn't a thing to watch on streaming per se but a channel. If you have a Roku device or tv, add the Pluto channel. It is ad supported but it's still worthwhile. It's essentially like a (limited) cable subscription, with a couple dozen channels of mst3k, movies, sports, music, news, etc.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tainen posted:

I put on Valerian thinking it was the bad Wachowski movie but it turned out it was actually a Luc Besson move and I found it to be very enjoyable and one of the most fun movies I have seen in a long time.

It was a bit slow at times but I did think it was okay and got a bad rap.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

precision posted:

It was a bit slow at times but I did think it was okay and got a bad rap.

It just wasn't good. People were excited for it when it came out, and other than the visual effects it fell short. The main characters weren't all that compelling, and the story meandered as if it was an afterthought to the setpieces. If you go in with no expectations other than a streaming action movie, it's plenty competent.

e: Just for reference as far as the expectations around the movie, it was a $180m production.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Apr 30, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
what are some other good horror movies along the lines of Black Mountain Side, The Ritual, or Final Prayer / The Borderlands?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tainen posted:

I enjoyed it. There were some plot holes, but it did some great world building, and it was a worthy successor to The Fifth Element.

Now if we want to talk about Luc Besson being a creep loving, impregnating and marrying 15 year old girls, that's a whole other story.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
The Florida Project is on Amazon Prime and it's a great film. Fantastic acting from everyone in that film (especially Brooklynn Prince and Willem Dafoe) and the ending felt weighty as hell to me. Directed and written by the same guy who did Tangerine.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

My girlfriend is in child abuse prevention social services and we watched The Florida Project. The end just about killed her. It’s a very good and apparently quite realistic take on this stuff. Great great film too with plenty of funny parts and doesn’t feel too long at all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It just wasn't good. People were excited for it when it came out, and other than the visual effects it fell short. The main characters weren't all that compelling, and the story meandered as if it was an afterthought to the setpieces. If you go in with no expectations other than a streaming action movie, it's plenty competent.

e: Just for reference as far as the expectations around the movie, it was a $180m production.

Yeah, that's accurate I think. I have no idea how they thought it would break even.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

regulargonzalez posted:

So this isn't a thing to watch on streaming per se but a channel. If you have a Roku device or tv, add the Pluto channel. It is ad supported but it's still worthwhile. It's essentially like a (limited) cable subscription, with a couple dozen channels of mst3k, movies, sports, music, news, etc.

I usually use it for background noise. Sometimes there's something I wanna watch but it's usually mst3k/rifftrax.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Netflix: I thought the twist in Road Games was predictable but fun.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Pluto channel is largely garbage but yeah it has a few great channels (Shout, MST3K, Rifftrax, THC) and every now and then they'll have a surprisingly great movie on their "free movie channel"

Rokus also by default have "The Roku Channel" which often has good movies as well.

e: also on a Roku, you can install Sundance Now and even though it will bother you to make a free trial or subscribe, if you back out of that you can still watch what's airing on Sundance live without paying

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Wow I just finished the Japanese reality show Rea(L)ove on Netflix. I can describe this show in one picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

what in the blue gently caress