Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Space Whale posted:

Is he a "Nate G"?

If so hoooo boy do I have a story for you.

share with the class

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fiedler posted:

Fun fact: SQL Server on Linux includes a bunch of Windows bits. Like, for example, you can run .NET assemblies in SQL on Linux because the full framework CLR is there (no, not .NET Core). There's a shim layer so that Windows can run in Linux user land and SQL Server runs alongside Windows. So, from a certain point of view, you do need Windows to use SQL Server.

I was more referring to using SQL server from Linux. It's unfortunate that SQL server is actually really loving good, because the Unix ODBC driver is a humongous buggy piece of poo poo from what I remember.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
to get non-Windows people to accept it they should call the non-Windows version by a different name

maybe something like “Sybase”

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
I suspect, for the most part, the pitch for non-Windows people begins and ends with "We're not Oracle."

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Fiedler posted:

Fun fact: SQL Server on Linux includes a bunch of Windows bits. Like, for example, you can run .NET assemblies in SQL on Linux because the full framework CLR is there (no, not .NET Core). There's a shim layer so that Windows can run in Linux user land and SQL Server runs alongside Windows. So, from a certain point of view, you do need Windows to use SQL Server.

the mainsoft port of Internet Explorer for solaris/hp-ux was even worse about this

they basically reimplemented all of win32 on top of motif and unix

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

I was more referring to using SQL server from Linux. It's unfortunate that SQL server is actually really loving good, because the Unix ODBC driver is a humongous buggy piece of poo poo from what I remember.

unixodbc is really very simple. freetds, the driver specifically for ms sql and sybase, is also fairly simple, and quite robust.

but unless you are on perl or something i don't know why you would use either one. there's a native jdbc driver for ms sql, no odbc required

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the mainsoft port of Internet Explorer for solaris/hp-ux was even worse about this

wikipedia posted:

It was further reported that Steve Ballmer, then executive vice president of Microsoft, had shown an interest earlier in the month for a Microsoft browser to run on Unix as part of the strategy to wage the browser wars

should've let balmer keep running the show at microsoft

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in retrospect it was pretty good that the eu kept microsoft from realizing the electron webapp-on-the-desktop vision 15 years earlier. those were 15 good years.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

imagine electron but it’s based on internet explorer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

in retrospect it was pretty good that the eu kept microsoft from realizing the electron webapp-on-the-desktop vision 15 years earlier. those were 15 good years.

microsoft had precisely the inverse vision

you keep writing native win32 apps but they are downloaded and executed inside the browser, for ... reasons

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Boiled Water posted:

i don't think that'd make it worse, the biggest issue with that eras ie was that it stopped actually improving with time. tie it into some platform apis and it may actually serve as a better basis for applications than taking a random version of webkit/blink and applying a broad mix of patches to it, repeating the process every few weeks

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

microsoft had precisely the inverse vision

you keep writing native win32 apps but they are downloaded and executed inside the browser, for ... reasons

while they had that direction too the (pre-restart) vista stuff was going in very much a mix-and-match direction very reminiscent of electron. to some extent the random native api exposing in electron was intended to be done with activex components instead, but it was not a one-way sort of vision from what i have figured

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 29, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

while they had that direction too the (pre-restart) vista stuff was going in very much a mix-and-match direction very reminiscent of electron. to some extent the random native api exposing in electron was intended to be done with activex components instead, but it was not a one-way sort of vision from what i have figured

this was always the vision for activeX, but it sucked

turns out writing jscript/activescript/vbscript in the browser is a horrible development environment, and people pushed as much as possible into the activeX side to avoid browser work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

a faster electron would be better, but it would still not be good

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

unixodbc is really very simple. freetds, the driver specifically for ms sql and sybase, is also fairly simple, and quite robust.

but unless you are on perl or something i don't know why you would use either one. there's a native jdbc driver for ms sql, no odbc required

Freetds doesn't support the newer features like alwayson etc, so you're basically forced to use the closed source MS driver which is buggy. This was about 4 years ago though, I don't know if it's improved since then.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

Freetds doesn't support the newer features like alwayson etc, so you're basically forced to use the closed source MS driver which is buggy. This was about 4 years ago though, I don't know if it's improved since then.

alwayson did not even exist the last time i needed freetds :q:

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Microsoft provides an odbc driver for macOS and Linux that includes support for mssql features like Always Encrypted. The community supplied alternative, FreeTDS, of course does not.

The best option on unix, though, is .Net Core.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

at least motif already looked and behaved like Soviet Windows so IE fit in reasonably with other Motif applications

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

qhat posted:

They did some work to improve the driver as part of the SQL on Linux effort, so I suspect the situation is a bit better now. I'd doubt that it's rock solid at this point, though.

Fiedler fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 29, 2018

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Office for Mac also re-implements a bunch of Windows functionality. Given the tendency, historically, to re-write win32 it's almost refreshing that the SQL Server team decided to just ship the loving Windows binaries directly.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

at least motif already looked and behaved like Soviet Windows so IE fit in reasonably with other Motif applications

it really didn't

of course, ie didn't fit in on windows, either

ie was even hypothetically portable because all its controls were custom-drawn, it used nothing from win32 for the user interface

(mainsoft did have to port all the lovely threading and process creation and filesystem APIs from win32 though)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Boiled Water posted:

This existed 15 years ago and was really prevalent. Windows Explorer had an embedded web browser, and you could even put one as your wallpaper ("Active Desktop"). AIM and Steam put an mshtml.dll-powered web view in their apps, and it was fast and lightweight as hell because HTML rendering engines weren't the ridiculous insanity they are now, and were used for showing documents with basic scripting.

I remember several people working on "app frameworks" not unlike Electron that were powered by mshtml.dll.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

eschaton posted:

you’re welcome
why was the graphics proposal even considered for so long when apparently the general consensus was "we don't need this".

the insanity of the thing was impressive though -- a graphics abstraction based on a c++ reimagining of an existing framework, no fucks given about hardware acceleration ityool 2018 and no plans for input abstractions or anything that could make it useful for cross-platform ui

it really was isocpp.txt

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Sagacity posted:

why was the graphics proposal even considered for so long when apparently the general consensus was "we don't need this".

the insanity of the thing was impressive though -- a graphics abstraction based on a c++ reimagining of an existing framework, no fucks given about hardware acceleration ityool 2018 and no plans for input abstractions or anything that could make it useful for cross-platform ui

it really was isocpp.txt

it wasn’t so much a “considered proposal” as “some people who were interested in a thing were working on it and presenting their progress every so often”

what happened this time is that the right people were in the room (because they learned that this was a thing) when they were presenting their progress that the people working on it could be told to stop

some supporters were pretty upset by this as they claimed to want a standard graphics lib as a teaching aid or something like that, and they’re honestly not trying to supplant platform libraries (honest!), but that’s not why standard libraries exist and it’s a transparent bullshit excuse

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i think the main reason it took so long to get a concrete "no, this is an awful idea stop wasting your time on it" is that it was just so obviously a terrible idea that everyone just assumed they could ignore it and it'd either die on its own or mutate towards something actually useful

then it turned out that whoops, the proposal authors had actually just spent years polishing a turd and disregarding everyone who had tried to tell them it was the wrong direction

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Boiled Water posted:

is image what or whom? do tell

If we know the same Nate chem engineer he's currently a terrible data science professor in Denver and a dick to women at that

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Plorkyeran posted:

then it turned out that whoops, the proposal authors had actually just spent years polishing a turd and disregarding everyone who had tried to tell them it was the wrong direction
it's the right call i think, but it's still a shame that such a proposal needs to exist. if third party libraries were just a little easier to consume... i guess vcpkg will solve all of this until modules eventually arrive, am i right

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this was always the vision for activeX, but it sucked

turns out writing jscript/activescript/vbscript in the browser is a horrible development environment, and people pushed as much as possible into the activeX side to avoid browser work

either way we will most likely get to see another round of that, microsoft keeps growing the edge team without really pushing a ton of stuff to the browser itself, so i think it is a fair guess that they are going to intertwine uwp and edge way deeper in a future version

which is likely to be unpleasant, but they may not yet be entirely too late on it. electron and friends are still pretty crummy, and being able to leverage their actually good dev tools for it may go some way

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Space Whale posted:

If we know the same Nate chem engineer he's currently a terrible data science professor in Denver and a dick to women at that

i dont know any chem engineers but thats no reason for you not to tell a story

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Sagacity posted:

it's the right call i think, but it's still a shame that such a proposal needs to exist. if third party libraries were just a little easier to consume... i guess vcpkg will solve all of this until modules eventually arrive, am i right

even with a good and working package manager there's some value in being able to just use the standard library's foo rather than figuring out which of the eight foo libraries is most needs-suiting

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Plorkyeran posted:

even with a good and working package manager there's some value in being able to just use the standard library's foo rather than figuring out which of the eight foo libraries is most needs-suiting

this is true of things like data structures, common algorithms, io, and in some cases networking etc. I’m not sure it’s true of graphics, where most of the common requirements I can think of are pretty specific (“I need to plot a graph and output to pdf”, rather than “I need to draw circles and lines on an abstract device-independent canvas”)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Plorkyeran posted:

There's no value in using iostream.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
there is, it's just that the sign is negative

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
the c++ stdlib is so goddamn bad lol, i'm amazed anybody uses it

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

im also surprised anyone uses c++

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Thermopyle posted:

im also surprised anyone uses c++

:yossame:

but then again what is the alternative?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
the alternative is challenging bjarne stroustroup to single combat and beheading him

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Boiled Water posted:

:yossame:

but then again what is the alternative?

if you're writing a video game right now, nothing credible. all the console vendors' sdks use c++. all the middleware libraries you might want to rely on use c++.

embedded stuff and hpc you're probably better off using straight c

any sort of data processing which is more io bound than compute bound, lol what the gently caress are you doing use a managed language for god's sake

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
good news! im a high level programmer!!

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

anything short of triple a and you're not going to be loving with engine internals, so something higher level is fine. every unity game is written in c# now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
im not a gamedev but unity seems like trash to me

like you're not off to the best start when you open up your tools and find something built around MonoDevelop, the internet explorer of ides, looking at you