Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, what's bugged with armor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Just ran into a kickstarter mechwarrior whose profile could be basically summarised as "Good lad brought up in democracy household with good education discovers the lies of the world and joins up with his alt-right buddies and runs away from his family who don't understand his issues".

I'm paraphrasing admittedly, but the way the fiction read was pretty similar to some of the stories that pop up in the alt-right thread...

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Night10194 posted:

Not necessarily bugged, just different from tabletop. You can put more armour on torso sections because the front and rear caps are separate.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Night10194 posted:

You can put more armor on than in Tabletop.

WMain00 posted:

Just ran into a kickstarter mechwarrior whose profile could be basically summarised as "Good lad brought up in democracy household with good education discovers the lies of the world and joins up with his alt-right buddies and runs away from his family who don't understand his issues".

I'm paraphrasing admittedly, but the way the fiction read was pretty similar to some of the stories that pop up in the alt-right thread...

I came across one that seemed to be from some guys Dark Ages campaign which made no sense for a 3025 setting.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

drat, my Panther just took a mauling in a mission, blew off the arm with it's PPC and ML. 100k to refit and throw on..well, I don't have a spare PPC so 2 LL's? And a month of time in the mech bay.

Eeeehhhh, my entire lance just got shot to poo poo taking out an Orion, I can't have it in the queue that long plus I'm 2/3 to another Panther. To the scrap heap with you, for a cool 220k!

In other news, I have my first Heavy. How are people fitting out their Orion's? I was thinking keeping the AC/10 but stripping off the missiles and ML's for two LL's and some heat sinks, as I already have a centurion acting as my LRM boat.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
20 hours in and I lost my first mechwarrior, got gutted by twin ppcs to the CT . I wish there was a memorial :rip:

And now behemoth was just DFA'd in the cockpit
Goddamn this game

IAmThatIs fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 29, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

IAmThatIs posted:

20 hours in and I lost my first mechwarrior, got gutted by twin ppcs to the CT . I wish there was a memorial :rip:

This probably needs to be added to the game.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

So what do I do after I get the Argo flying? I feel like every difficulty 2 mission tears up my lance and I can't keep up with repairs and I go bankrupt.

Just slum in the early planet grinding the 1 difficulty missions?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
A "who died, and to what 'Mech, and were they avenged [attacking 'Mech later destroyed]" wall would be neat.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I do appreciate that there have been times where for example, I lost an AC20++ on my Orion and all I had left was a regular one so I reconfigured it to use 2x AC10++ until I could find another AC20 of that quality. Got that real mercenary company feeling. I just wish it happened more often (Long War patch when?)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

A "who died, and to what 'Mech, and were they avenged [attacking 'Mech later destroyed]" wall would be neat.

There was this dumb RTS-game for the SNES (and other systems, but I forgot which ones), where you controlled a bunch of soldiers running around shooting everything. Like in real life, the little buggers died to every little bullet blasting their brains out. Or sometimes just rolled around in agony after a gut shot.

Anyway, between missions there was this recruiting line where you could get replacements from and most of that screen was made up by a huge cemetery. Every time you lost a soldier, you got a tiny grave to commemorate them. Soldiers who got promotions got more impressive graves, of course.

I feel like a little private cemetery wouldn't be too out of place for our merc company. It would be awesome if we could put in little quips for their grave stones, like "Here lies Dekker, smashed flat by a Dragon's fist"

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

There was this dumb RTS-game for the SNES (and other systems, but I forgot which ones), where you controlled a bunch of soldiers running around shooting everything. Like in real life, the little buggers died to every little bullet blasting their brains out. Or sometimes just rolled around in agony after a gut shot.

Anyway, between missions there was this recruiting line where you could get replacements from and most of that screen was made up by a huge cemetery. Every time you lost a soldier, you got a tiny grave to commemorate them. Soldiers who got promotions got more impressive graves, of course.

I feel like a little private cemetery wouldn't be too out of place for our merc company. It would be awesome if we could put in little quips for their grave stones, like "Here lies Dekker, smashed flat by a Dragon's fist"

...Cannon Fodder?

Also yeah, a wall of the departed would be neat.

I just restarted yet again. Wondering if taking the 'meet the benefactor' but not doing pirate moon mission will at least spawn a few more 1 skull missions.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Voyager I posted:

The secret to killing tanks is that they have a small number of locations, terrible internal structure, and die upon the loss of any section. The heavier ones can pack quite a bit of armor, but if you hit them hard from one direction they will go down much faster than a mech of a similar weight.

Also a Shadowhawk stomp will gib basically anything under 80 tons since it's a guaranteed 180 damage to a single location.

Yeah vehicles take double stomp damage.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
gently caress, the first mission I headcap two Jagermechs of each variety and I went with 1/6 salvage since I was really hurting for cash right before payday.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Szcwczuk posted:

I must suck at building mechs is there a resource for "good" build for some of the starting mechs?

I second this. Update the OP with good ones pls.

Also, has there been any talks about expansions? Like moving the timeline forward to clans?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Maybe a long-range loadout for my Orion isn't the way to go. First outing and it got 5 kills.

All melee, 4 tank-stomps and a mech. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Iymarra posted:

...Cannon Fodder?

Also yeah, a wall of the departed would be neat.

Yes!

For some reason, that game was not immediately indexed by out authorities, so I could waste many hours of my life slowly slaughtering my way through. Apparently our inspection authority either didn't look past the cutesy tiny men look, or never tested it at all. Which wouldn't surprise me, Germany's approach to this poo poo is like 100% incompetence (at one point a politician in Bavaria tried to get Sim City banned).

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I want a mech paper doll to pop up on every shot to show damage. Also the red internal damage thing on the paper doll should either fade or just deplete downwards so I don't have to click individual sections for number.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there any way to view the different mech patterns in the mech bay without all the mech bay interface in the way, and/or to switch which mech is displayed in the bay?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Hey once your unsteady is it any stab dmg that knocks you over or does the bar need to be filled out? Is the little red section in the second bar just an indicator you on your rear end or does it mean something?

Turns out when your primary way of engaging with this stuff is punchs, lrm4000, and ac alpha strikes you don't notice the detail.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
*smiles Dekkerishly* :smugdog:

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

In my last battle a shadowhawk ran up and punched out the cockpit of my centurion, killing the first mechwarrior I hired who had faithfully served through the last 20 missions.

I snapped.

Throwing logic to the wind all my mechs, even my lrm boats, charged forward to punch and kick that shadowhawk to death in the name of blind vengence heedless of the remaining enemies.

REVENGE!

RIP Medusa. You will not be forgotten

I love this game

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Funny, my Shadowhawk just ran up and face-punched the pilot out of an enemy Panther. It was awesome!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Meanwhile this Shadowhawk in mine got stuck in a patch of rough terrain before getting his leg blown out. It was like I was suddenly playing Megamek, this poor gently caress would stand up, limp to the edge of the field, then I'd reposition and he'd eat poo poo again from stability damage. It was amazing.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
This game is so loving slow it reminds me of jane's fleet command, where you can read a book before anything important happens while looking for russian akulas

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Peven Stan posted:

This game is so loving slow it reminds me of jane's fleet command, where you can read a book before anything important happens while looking for russian akulas

Yeah you'll definitely want to mod some of the cinematic delays. They drag a little.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Peven Stan posted:

I feel like I'm lucky here, I played so many agonizingly slow tactics games over the years, Battletech's pace is blindingly fast for me

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm sure the mission is fine but my lance of failures can barely do 1 to 1.5 skulls. I just can't deal with being outnumbered by heavier mechs 2 to 1 right now and the difficulty ramp up will end things. As it is I'm savescumming if a contract deploys reinforcements instantly.

How is your lance built? I did panzyr with a 20/15/10/LRM 1mlas cent, a stock AC20 hunchback, the original shadow hawk that I put 2xSRM6 1xSRM4 1mlas, and a 3xSRM6 1mlas wolverine. The srm carriers all had max front chest armor and bulwark so I’d just sprint them to the bottom of the ramp and tank for days. The HBK did work on heavy dudes, but SRMs are king of the low weight classes.

I’ve had one mech cored and 0 losses even when out-weighed. It’s all about being super aggressive sprinting your bulwark mechs up early to prime locations then keeping them there as turrets while your other mechs move up and shoot. At low tonnages you won’t find anything better than SRMs for damage/weight considering lasers require heat sinks and SRMs will at least get SOME damage in. Then just use the lrm boat to crit seek.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kater posted:

Hey once your unsteady is it any stab dmg that knocks you over or does the bar need to be filled out? Is the little red section in the second bar just an indicator you on your rear end or does it mean something?

Turns out when your primary way of engaging with this stuff is punchs, lrm4000, and ac alpha strikes you don't notice the detail.

When the bar is full and you are unsteady, then you fall over. If you aren't unsteady and your bar fills past the bolded line (based on your Piloting skill) then you become unsteady. Basically you can't be knocked flat by one attack from an enemy if you go from 0 to max stability bar because you'll go unsteady first. After that even like a single SRM lazily brushing you will knock you down.

The red bar is if you lose a leg, meaning your stability bar now has a higher minimum stability to represent how unbalanced you are since you lost a leg.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle
Vehicles literally take double damage from melee attacks, so you can take your melee damage, double it, and if that is higher than any armor component (+7 damage for the structure) of the vehicle, it's a guaranteed kill on a hit.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

pokie posted:

Is it just be or does the SS version of Thunderbolt suck? That's the one that's basically energy only.

The 5SS makes a good long range skirmisher, got mine loaded up with 2 LLs, an LRM5, and a PPC. I'm finding the Thunderbolts in general are pretty solid mechs that can be set-up to do anything really.

ccubed posted:

According to THIS, at least with volley attacks, "only check for a head hit on the first bullet/missile. If it doesn't hit the head, none of them will. If it does, only that one shot will strike the head out of the whole volley."

I'm calling bogus on this, because my MG focused mechs have totally killed pilots by hitting the cockpit several times in one volley.

pedro0930 posted:

Is LRM OP?

I think Precision Strike is the real crutch of the problem, it's really too much of a good thing.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JacksLibido posted:

How is your lance built?

this is the question we probably should have asked earlier, i can't think of a single mission where i've been outnumbered by heavier mechs but if he's piloting his initial four mechs on two skulls i think i can see where it might get a little tricky

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My avatar is out on 51 days of sick leave after taking 3 blows to the head during the rush mission to destroy the dropship control center.

In the grim reality of 31st century combat, there is no headgear offering enough protection from your cockpit getting rattled by badguy peashooters

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Your daily "I wish we could have 2 lances"

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Phi230 posted:

Your daily "I wish we could have 2 lances"

Con: All battles would take over 2 hours with 8 mechs to juggle

I also like how slow the union goons who work in the mech bay are, it shouldn't take 2 weeks to refit a mech in the year 3027

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Peven Stan posted:

Try the pause tweak in the op, it made it smoother for me.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

if anyone still wants to watch LP's post-release I've watched a lot of this guy's Endless Legend / Space videos and he's pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jri1zcZOa-w

Also I'm curious if anyone else thinks he sounds like Rob Zachny's twin brother because I can't actually tell their voices apart.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Eej posted:

When the bar is full and you are unsteady, then you fall over. If you aren't unsteady and your bar fills past the bolded line (based on your Piloting skill) then you become unsteady. Basically you can't be knocked flat by one attack from an enemy if you go from 0 to max stability bar because you'll go unsteady first. After that even like a single SRM lazily brushing you will knock you down.

The red bar is if you lose a leg, meaning your stability bar now has a higher minimum stability to represent how unbalanced you are since you lost a leg.

hey thanks for always answering systems questions

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Peven Stan posted:

Con: All battles would take over 2 hours with 8 mechs to juggle

I also like how slow the union goons who work in the mech bay are, it shouldn't take 2 weeks to refit a mech in the year 3027

Do you know anything about battletech? Refitting is incredibly expensive and time consuming to the point where almost no one can make custom mechs

And your average battle is only like 15-20 min idk why ppl are bitchinf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Szcwczuk posted:

So another question I have is about money. I am so poor all the time, like on the verge of bankruptcy constantly. When you finish a mission and get salvage you see this screen.

For this mission it says the value of this salvage is 4 million. Can you liquidate this completely?

You can get about 10% of the listed value, and you have to get a third piece of Shadowhawk salvage to do so (because the Shadowhawk pieces are almost all of the value).