Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer

spiderbot posted:

Do you live in London? There is one with a menu that looks exactly like this in Edmonton Green. The hot mexican chilli one is pretty tasty, but also pretty damp.

Nah. Only about an hour away if you leave from King's Cross though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

empty sea posted:

Wait, they don't make After Hours or OPCD anymore? That was the only reason I ever gave a poo poo about Cracked.
The last thing they uploaded to their YouTube channel was in December.

rndmnmbr posted:

The going theory is their new owners ordered David Wong to fire all the expensive people and turn a profit inside of a year or everyone's fired.
Apparently the site was sold in 2016 on the basis that its increasingly popular videos would translate to income, but it turns out you actually can't make money by making YouTube videos. :shrug:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Ham hocks an beans are one of my absolute favorite eats. Not runny like soup, but thicker. Add cornbread on the side, and it's perfect.

Ive been vegetarian for nearly 10 years now and this is honestly one of the things I miss the most. Slow cooked, with some good bread, this poo poo is amazing.

I still love bean stews but without the ham hocks they aren't quite the same

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I got drunk tonight and my body decided it wanted to try and kill itself with a sodium overdose. I made a prison brick:

Pictured: 2 Ramen soups, crushed up and mixed with a lunchbox sized bag of Cheeto puffs, creating the "brick". Then a healthy spread of mayo, BBQ sauce and Sriracha sauce, shredded cheddar cheese, imitation Skyline chili, and crushed sour cream and onion popped rice cake chip things.

It was delicious. gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

sour cream should not be a solid nor be in a state where you can crush it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Synthbuttrange posted:

"crushed sour cream and onion popped rice cake chip things" is a single item. Crushed, sour-cream-and-onion flavoured, popped rice-cake/chip things.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Synthbuttrange posted:

These things:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

small bird pudding posted:

Elotes are also a thing. A delicious, delicious thing.

You are 100% correct that elotes are delicious. However, those are not elotes.

But whoever thought of dunking a cob of roasted corn in mayo and then sprinkling it with chili-lime powder and grated cojita, that man should be made a saint.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Dude i knew went veg for a while and used doenjang, pure msg, oil, bunch of spices and emulsifier to make a tare that was scarily like ham hock essence

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Dude i knew went veg for a while and used doenjang, pure msg, oil, bunch of spices and emulsifier to make a tare that was scarily like ham hock essence

Your friend is a genius and I need to know what spices because this is a life-changer

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I have 11 days of no adult supervision when making food. :getin:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zipperelli. posted:

I got drunk tonight

It's ok, we all know you did this stone cold sober at like 11am

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Biggest revolution in my vegetarian cooking was figuring out how to add that meaty flavour in to stuff. I've never been able to replicate pork flavour though, post your friends recipe pls

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I made a couple of vegan soups for my brother (he's vegetarian atm but has a vegan friend he wanted to share it with) and msg + soy sauce is very helpful for deep meaty flavors, as well as getting a lot of malliard reaction going on the vegetables with frying and oven-roasting

I would also start with those browned vegetables/beans and cook until soft, then strain the solids and blend them. I'd add the blended vegetables back to the stock I just made, which makes a thickened hearty soup! I would then sautee more vegetables and beans to put into that soup, and add pasta and fresh herbs. 👍👍👍

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

These things:

Sour cream and onion dust on styrofoam, my favorite.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'll have the opportunity to try a huitlacoche taco tomorrow, with roasted poblano, corn, onion, cotija, and cilantro. It's another one of those things I think is gross, but am willing to power through if it's not really disgustingly :barf: gross. Has anyone here had huitlacoche? Or should I spend my hard-earned money on tacos con cochinita pibil and al pastor instead? (They can call it "corn truffles" all they want, but I remember its time on Steve, Don't Eat It! all too well. Also, I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms/fungus in general.)

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Beyond being sadness.jpg it's just such a weird combination of things.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
All the visible salt on the beans makes me slightly uncomfortable.

Aside from that, probably would. I am sure I probably put together this same combo more than once as a kid at Shakey's buffet.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What's up with the crust on that pizza? Almost looks ruffled.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jesus

that is art

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I;m thinking about the visible salt on thos Beans

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

God I hate canned Green Beans, they taste like how Formaldehyde smells

Which is weird because fresh or frozen Green Beans are okay(if still not my favorite by any stretch of the imagination), so I have to wonder what is it about the canning process that makes them taste like a funeral home?

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.
Huitlacoche is juuuust above balut on my Nope List. I am an adventurous eater— I have literally picked termites off a tree in Belize to try them, and would describe them as “intensely carrot-flavored”— but corn smut hits my gross buttons in ways that other molds like blue cheese just don’t.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's just a weird looking mushroom. eat the mushroom. eat it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A weird mushroom that exists to steal the purity of essence from corn.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

If you're making bean or pea soup without ham / ham hock, you can add smoked paprika and seasoned salt to make up for it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ha. HA I say to you who think corn mushroom is the worst. You've not had the worst mushroom til your mom forces you to have a chinese herbal soup topped with cordyceps infected caterpillars.

MMMM NUMMY NUMMY

Synthbuttrange has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Apr 29, 2018

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Synthbuttrange posted:

ha. HA I say to you who think corn mushroom is the worst. You've not had the worst mushroom til your mom forces you to have a chinese herbal soup topped with cordyceps infected caterpillars.

MMMM NUMMY NUMMY

now that's the stuff.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

drrockso20 posted:

God I hate canned Green Beans, they taste like how Formaldehyde smells

Which is weird because fresh or frozen Green Beans are okay(if still not my favorite by any stretch of the imagination), so I have to wonder what is it about the canning process that makes them taste like a funeral home?

Growing up, canned green beans were the only green beans I had ever known because my parents are :effort: about food (they still are to this day)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

elise the great posted:

Huitlacoche is juuuust above balut on my Nope List. I am an adventurous eater— I have literally picked termites off a tree in Belize to try them, and would describe them as “intensely carrot-flavored”— but corn smut hits my gross buttons in ways that other molds like blue cheese just don’t.
I think your anti-endorsement is enough for me to stay far away from the stuff.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Synthbuttrange posted:

MMMM NUMMY NUMMY

Oh god this is making me recall memories that I had long buried. I can still remember this concoction tasting like how ash smells and leaving an aftertaste that felt a forest was growing out of my mouth, poo poo and corpses and dirt and everything. I thought those little things were like bamboo shoots or some root of some sort Oh god.

Oh god I'm going to be sick.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Never had it but I understood that canned hutlacoche is basically just steamed button mushrooms. Any corn smuttiness is lost in the canning process.

Which is endorsement enough to stay away unless you got a fresh source since mushrooms cooked to that consistency are the worst.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

MMMM NUMMY NUMMY

I suddenly understand why cordyceps is the biggest Bravery booster in The World Ends With You. What the gently caress.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

GrandpaPants posted:

Oh god this is making me recall memories that I had long buried. I can still remember this concoction tasting like how ash smells and leaving an aftertaste that felt a forest was growing out of my mouth, poo poo and corpses and dirt and everything. I thought those little things were like bamboo shoots or some root of some sort Oh god.

That's just the cordyceps talking.

In your brains.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Hirayuki posted:

I'll have the opportunity to try a huitlacoche taco tomorrow, with roasted poblano, corn, onion, cotija, and cilantro. It's another one of those things I think is gross, but am willing to power through if it's not really disgustingly :barf: gross. Has anyone here had huitlacoche? Or should I spend my hard-earned money on tacos con cochinita pibil and al pastor instead? (They can call it "corn truffles" all they want, but I remember its time on Steve, Don't Eat It! all too well. Also, I'm not a huge fan of mushrooms/fungus in general.)

A few months ago I had a huitlacoche quesadilla at a place just outside Korea Town in Los Angeles.
I liked it. Very smoky in flavor, a not unpleasant hint of mustiness. Really went well with the blend of cheeses.

Not an everyday eating item for me, but yeah. Would again.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Synthbuttrange posted:

MMMM NUMMY NUMMY

So I take it that cordyceps are beginning to exert control over humans and this is how they are spreading.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Barbecue sauce is the second ingredient. This is, in the most literal possible reading, outrageous.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Huitlacoche is good if you like mushrooms and things that taste a little like dirt. If you don't like those things, don't waste your money.

I love huitlacoche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Well if it's any comfort by the time it's harvested it's basically mummified and the fungus has taken over every part in the caterpillar, so it's essentially a bug-shaped mushroom.