Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Arrath posted:

4xSRM6's :getin:

And, uh, relentlessly pummel everythingwith dozens of LRM's until the Jaeger can get in range?

:rodneydangerfieldtuggingathiscollar:

Uhhhh.. I'm not breaking out a mech editor or anything, but that seems like not much tonnage for things like ammo, heat sinks, or armor. Like, not any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I can count on one hand the amount of times I've hit a head TOTAL, between called shots AND normal shots. Yet, at least one of my pilots get injured from head hits every single mission. :xcom:?

Headshots normally come from multi-shot weapons like LRMs and MGs, so if you're getting pounded by missile boats or MG-spammers you're likely to get injured. But single-shot weapons, it's pretty rare. Although I did headshot a Centurion with a Hunchback's AC/20 :sicknasty:

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

A.o.D. posted:

Double AC/10 on a Jaegermech, yea or nay?

It's what I do, three ammo. Twin MLas, too, for when I'm happy to get in a bit closer. All else in armour. It's plodding and boring, but it works!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

:rodneydangerfieldtuggingathiscollar:

Uhhhh.. I'm not breaking out a mech editor or anything, but that seems like not much tonnage for things like ammo, heat sinks, or armor. Like, not any.

Well, uh, getting hit is a failing?

To be fair you could probably get away with half that ammo for extra armor as it's either gonna die before it can use it all, or the battle will be over because it can only fire every third turn :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

A.o.D. posted:

Double AC/10 on a Jaegermech, yea or nay?

extreme yay, use it as a sniper. On any mission where you're fighting enemies with anemic armor tags it can reliably oneshot them.

even when you're not though it's an extra punch of stability that can knock things over. It's on the slow side, though. It's usefulness doesn't taper off for a while, much like the vindicator is basically replaces.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
I did actually headshot an assault mech with a gauss rifle once.

On the first shot the assault mech received. Felt good man, in my experience, headshots come when you dont try to get them.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Do you ever get a source for the double heatsinks? I would love to be able to gear my entire crew like this.

I wanted to try a king crab setup that didn't involve AC20s. The max of three jumpjets in to try and improve the mobility a little. It is a lot of fun playing jumpcrab, and its DFA attack is really painful too.

Admittedly, those AC20s are hard to beat. I am not sure it is actually better. SRM6+++ are really good too though.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I feel really dumb asking this.
Why is it that sometimes when you can attack, it only let's you melee, or not use certain weapons? Is there a 1 turn cool down on lasers or guns or something? What part of the tutorial did I skip over that talked about this?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Filthy Monkey posted:

Do you ever get a source for the double heatsinks? I would love to be able to gear my entire crew like this.

I wanted to try a king crab setup that didn't involve AC20s. The max of three jumpjets in to try and improve the mobility a little. It is a lot of fun playing jumpcrab, and its DFA attack is really painful too.

Admittedly, those AC20s are hard to beat. I am not sure it is actually better. SRM6+++ are really good too though.

Afaik there's no reliable source of DHS because they tend to break whatever battletech game they show up in.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Quad posted:

I feel really dumb asking this.
Why is it that sometimes when you can attack, it only let's you melee, or not use certain weapons? Is there a 1 turn cool down on lasers or guns or something? What part of the tutorial did I skip over that talked about this?

Depends on how close you are to the mech.

I just click the icon of the crosshairs to go back into shoot mode.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Coldforge posted:

Well, it's game over...for the Directorate :clint:

The missileboat of doom:

Ammo explosion in left torso

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You can't melee anything but the target closest to you, right? I'm not missing anything, right?

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Found another bug, from a movie night event, Behemoth is now permanantly down in the dumps, and Glitch has high morale, both timers are at Zero.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Has anyone figured out if certain regions of space effect what mechs show up? I'd like to salvage an atlas or king crab some time before i finish the campaign but neither of them ever seem to show up on the 5 skulls difficulty planet near the campaign worlds.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Azran posted:

You can't melee anything but the target closest to you, right? I'm not missing anything, right?

Hit V, cycle with tab

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you've meleed a mech in the previous round, is it intentional that you're stuck to it and cant maneuver to punch it in the back of the head?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Azran posted:

You can melee anybody in range. Pressing v again (or tab) will cycle through the targets. You can pick your ending location by clicking your mouse near the target before you press attack. The same is true for DFA attacks.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

imweasel09 posted:

Afaik there's no reliable source of DHS because they tend to break whatever battletech game they show up in.

Honestly the big issue with DHS in the past was the fact that they also doubled your in-engine sinks, in this one DHS are just a different kind of heat sink instead of an upgrade applied to the entire mech.

There not being a reliable source of them is beause it's 3025 and the only people that know how to make the drat things is Comcast.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Synthbuttrange posted:

If you've meleed a mech in the previous round, is it intentional that you're stuck to it and cant maneuver to punch it in the back of the head?

Yes, for both melee and DFA you only get the three closest melee/DFA positions to your mech. Otherwise everyone would just backpunch/backDFA.

If you wanna melee/DFA the back, you need to maneuver into position to do it in the previous turn.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Astroniomix posted:

Honestly the big issue with DHS in the past was the fact that they also doubled your in-engine sinks, in this one DHS are just a different kind of heat sink instead of an upgrade applied to the entire mech.

There not being a reliable source of them is beause it's 3025 and the only people that know how to make the drat things is Comcast.

Yeah, but them being lostech doesn't mean HBS couldn't have made a lostech cache mission type that doesn't show up often, or have them being super pricey in black market systems.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Kharnifex posted:

Found another bug, from a movie night event, Behemoth is now permanantly down in the dumps, and Glitch has high morale, both timers are at Zero.

yeah, it looks like High Spirits and Low Spirits are bugged and last forever:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/battletech-mechwarrior-has-permenant-low-spirits.1092493/

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Filthy Monkey posted:

Best I can figure from its speed and slots is meant to be kind of an assault grasshopper. I know dick about battletech though, compared to many of the nerds here. I could be way off base. This was the best I could do with it. It is definitely severely lacking in usable tonnage.

Compare it to a grasshopper.

This is the comedy version I have going right now. It punches things Real Good. Ignore the lack of jump jets, they're off for a particular mission.

Used to have an arm mod, but somebody blew that fucker up.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Liquid Communism posted:

This is the comedy version I have going right now. It punches things Real Good. Ignore the lack of jump jets, they're off for a particular mission.

Used to have an arm mod, but somebody blew that fucker up.

This is similar to my banshee build. Maxed out MLs, throw on as many SLs as I can, and then the rest into heatsinks and armor. I'm personally not a fan of DFA. While closing in it sprays lasers everywhere or uses called shots to core mech CTs. Once in melee range it just wrecks. Not really optimal or focused on either strat but it's a blender with the rest of my lance.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got a Gyro with +1 melee hit. Does this mean I'm going to double any melee attacks I make?!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

How are people building Dragons? I got mine but am struggling to fit it.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Dang, she was so high level too

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Flipswitch posted:

How are people building Dragons? I got mine but am struggling to fit it.

I ripped out the LRM, gave it SRMs instead and also machine guns and extra armour. Makes it a good brawler. You still have the AC5 for some long range weaponry, although you could take that out and go for more SRMs instead. Very respectable mech in that role, even if it's not spectacular. I had two Dragons as the mainstay of my lance for a while.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
There's a small amount of weapons that aren't in the era in the game files aside from the aforementioned gauss rifle.

There's jsons for ER/Pulse variants of all of the lasers as well as an ER PPC. As far as I can tell no mechs actually use them though and my guess is they're placeholders for DLC or modders.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's a small amount of weapons that aren't in the era in the game files aside from the aforementioned gauss rifle.

There's jsons for ER/Pulse variants of all of the lasers as well as an ER PPC. As far as I can tell no mechs actually use them though and my guess is they're placeholders for DLC or modders.

Are there jsons in there for Ultra or LBX autocannons?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Ammo explosion in left torso

Yo there's an HBS dev in here right? Ammo explosion graphic sizes should scale with the amount of ammo destroyed

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

You use all of those during the castle outpost mission

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
I have the High Spirits bug, but oddly enough the Low Spirits rebuff from the movie night event dropped off at the right time.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Yo there's an HBS dev in here right? Ammo explosion graphic sizes should scale with the amount of ammo destroyed

Also get rid of «surprise actions», either stick with a turn order or just make another mechcommander

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

They're used in the mission you get to run SDL 'mechs in. The Black Knight in particular runs an ERPPC as I recall, and the Atlas has ERLLs and Med Pulses.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
If I want to inflict BattleTech fiction on myself because this game is occupying my every waking thought, what are the least terrible novels to get? Bonus points for a similar period in the timeline as the game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Rygar201 posted:

Hit V, cycle with tab

Does the game tell you this at any point? :psyduck:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ciaphas posted:

It's weird that mechs remain intact after years of Mechwarrior where an exploding mech was going to gently caress you up if you were near it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mandatory Assembly posted:

If I want to inflict BattleTech fiction on myself because this game is occupying my every waking thought, what are the least terrible novels to get? Bonus points for a similar period in the timeline as the game.

Go read the BT LP thread over in LP, by PopTartsNinja.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

sebmojo posted:

Q_res, would you mind updating that in your op?

Fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The only BT novel I've read is the one about the Jade Falcon dude who like, totally was the only Clanner to win a fight against the perfidious freebirths in Comstar on Tukayyid.

I remember nothing about it.