Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Quad posted:

I feel really dumb asking this.
Why is it that sometimes when you can attack, it only let's you melee, or not use certain weapons? Is there a 1 turn cool down on lasers or guns or something? What part of the tutorial did I skip over that talked about this?

You're in the wrong mode. If you have move toggled and click on an enemy in range it will set you up to go punch them, as that's how you do so. If you want to shoot instead select shoot in the bottom bar. (Or just move somewhere else first to use your move for the activation.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Also get rid of «surprise actions», either stick with a turn order or just make another mechcommander

I just figured out in my recent session that the difference between "surprise action" and "the game lets everyone finish their movement turn before switching to combat" is whether you moved to a hex within LOS of the enemy or just within sensor range. I get why they do it but the game could definitely be clearer about the distinction.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

I just figured out in my recent session that the difference between "surprise action" and "the game lets everyone finish their movement turn before switching to combat" is whether you moved to a hex within LOS of the enemy or just within sensor range. I get why they do it but the game could definitely be clearer about the distinction.
I usually try to move all of my guys really quickly out of combat, so they are all already in motion before an enemy hits LOS. It is definitely not something I should feel like I need to do in a turn-based game.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

How are people building Dragons? I got mine but am struggling to fit it.

I stuck in an AC/20 and 2 medium lasers and used it like a tougher Hunchback

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Completely unrelated, but is it possible to create new Mechwarriors for skirmish mode? I want to try some loadouts in it and for that I need 2/1 spec pilots.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Eej posted:

The only BT novel I've read is the one about the Jade Falcon dude who like, totally was the only Clanner to win a fight against the perfidious freebirths in Comstar on Tukayyid.

I remember nothing about it.

these are the only required readings for btech books

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
I just had an MP battle where I forgot to change my lance so I brought a clash sized stock lance against my opponent's battle size lance. I had 3 urbanmech and a jagermech while my opponent had an awesome, a kintaro and 2 locust. 4 rounds later the kintaro pilot is dead and half of the awesome got blown off.

My opponent quit.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Dallan Invictus posted:

A dev mentioned on the discord that it isn't quite working properly. Or, at least, you're always supposed to get your full turn and seeing someone directly isn't supposed to yank you into a separate thing.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Round Two Pairings have been posted, click HERE

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game needs like 200% more urbanmechs.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

MadJackMcJack posted:

I stuck in an AC/20 and 2 medium lasers and used it like a tougher Hunchback

AC10, 2 ML, 2 SML and then all the armour because it's gonna be a prime target. Upgraded AC10s with bonus damage even better! Although AC20s are very satisfying to use.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phrosphor posted:

Round Two Pairings have been posted, click HERE

So 1st prize is a copy of the game that people already own?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So 1st prize is a copy of the game that people already own?

Give it to a friend?

There didn't have to be prizes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Synthbuttrange posted:

these are the only required readings for btech books

I forgot about this, the most 80s of things possible

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Good god does the Hunchback mount like 8 ML's? One ran right into my face and let lose with a disco light show.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Arrath posted:

Good god does the Hunchback mount like 8 ML's? One ran right into my face and let lose with a disco light show.

Hunchbacks either have a giant fuckoff deathcannon or laser night at the disco.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There didn't have to be prizes.

There aren't, really.

:downsrim:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Night10194 posted:

Hunchbacks either have a giant fuckoff deathcannon or laser night at the disco.

Kinda wish we had the J and especially SP models.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

They're used in the mission you get to run SDL 'mechs in. The Black Knight in particular runs an ERPPC as I recall, and the Atlas has ERLLs and Med Pulses.

Ah, well, I haven't progressed to that point yet.

3025 is a bit boring in terms of weaponry; at least with 3039 you get an expanded selection to choose from without being bogged down with the Clans.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Arrath posted:

Disco stu variant

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
It's not 100% every time though. I need to test the next time it happens but it anecdotally it seems to happen if you train a skill while they have high/low spirits. I've managed to lock two of my pilots into high spirits and the one low spirits one expired normally.

Azran posted:

Does the game tell you this at any point? :psyduck:
I'm like 90% certain the tutorial mission tells you how to cycle targets with tab since I knew about it without discovering it accidentally and never had to be told from someone else

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

Ah, well, I haven't progressed to that point yet.

3025 is a bit boring in terms of weaponry; at least with 3039 you get an expanded selection to choose from without being bogged down with the Clans.

Playing Megamek just after the fall of the Star League, my main issue isn't so much the weapons (though there are a few glaring missing bits I'd love to see) but the lack of mech and vehicle variety. I'm ok with the range we get here, though I'd love to see more.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I tried that pause fix in the OP and it does make the game a bit snappier. The only downside I saw is that the voice clips tend to run up against each other. Are there any other downsides to using that other people have seen?

Also, is there a way to have a mech back up, so it can retreat without exposing its back or side flanks?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Lmao 94 days to fix an incapacitated pilot, this game could benefit greatly if they slashed all the arbitrary waiting times by 50%

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Insert name here posted:

It's not 100% every time though. I need to test the next time it happens but it anecdotally it seems to happen if you train a skill while they have high/low spirits. I've managed to lock two of my pilots into high spirits and the one low spirits one expired normally.

I'm like 90% certain the tutorial mission tells you how to cycle targets with tab since I knew about it without discovering it accidentally and never had to be told from someone else

Oh yeah, for ranged attacks. I promptly forgot about it after the tutorial and I was just clicking on different targets manually. :downs:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I would rather disco night in the face than the ac20.

At least it's not a hunchback iic

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/990376501030850560

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

Playing Megamek just after the fall of the Star League, my main issue isn't so much the weapons (though there are a few glaring missing bits I'd love to see) but the lack of mech and vehicle variety. I'm ok with the range we get here, though I'd love to see more.

There's apparently 36 mech types (and another couple dozen variants) but I don't think I've seen about half of them.

Mazreal
Oct 5, 2002

adjusts monocle

It's so fun to see all the boom booms go pew pew into the big metal people.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Aw man getting that XCom RNG vibe. On Three Years Later, rolling though perfectly, An almost dead Shadow Hawk runs right behind my commander and in one melee takes him from perfect health to loving dead.

:xcom:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I really want to get my hands on a proper catapult. Or any fire support mech, really, the Centurion is holding up ok but its getting a bit long in the tooth. So's my little dual AC-5 blackjack, actually I went back to that once I got an ace pilot who is really drat good at zipping around and shooting folks in the back or hopping around on ridges. That seems more useful than a quickdraw or any of the 55tonners right now, though I just got another Orion I'll probably spec out to be as much of a melee monster as I can until I get a Grasshopper or something.

Autocannons are just so goddamn satisfying. I'm currently rolling with an LRM-boat Centurion, AC-20 Orion, dual AC-10 Jager, and dual AC-5 Blackjack. Once I can get a decent dual-AC-20 assault mech for my tactician commander to ride in I will be so happy.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What employers are good to build reputation up with?

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 30, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

terrorist ambulance posted:

What bosses are good to build reputation up with?

If you want access to better gear, inner sphere or taurians.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Got another Orion from legging one and coring another in a mission, now I have two of them. I guess I can retire the Jager entirely now, it served me well and wasn't nearly as bad as some people were making it out to be

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how these SRM carriers can shoot me from longer range than I can shoot them with LRMs. It's been one round and a mechwarrior is already critical and with three wounds. From cover. With four evasion. Two headshots. Behemoth's hosed.

e: Also it bugged out and I can't actually shoot any of the srm carriers with anything but lrms so that's cool, this is definitely winnable now

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 30, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Nearing the end of the campaign. Still don't have a stock Catapult.

I want my missile chicken!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A.o.D. posted:

What do you do with the rest of the tonnage, and what you do about being badly outranged?

1. Armor

2. Fire support mechs

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Peven Stan posted:

Lmao 94 days to fix an incapacitated pilot, this game could benefit greatly if they slashed all the arbitrary waiting times by 50%

lrn2 medic, scrub :smuggo:

I think it's ok, since you can put resources into speeding it up and you can always just buy another fleshbag to sully your beautiful machines. The earn/spend/wait loop is pretty well tuned imo.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Control Volume posted:

Got another Orion from legging one and coring another in a mission, now I have two of them. I guess I can retire the Jager entirely now, it served me well and wasn't nearly as bad as some people were making it out to be

I think people knock the Jager because it's one of the first Heavies easily available to you and they're expecting it to just wander around a wreck poo poo.

Nah, it's basically just a bigger Blackjack.

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how these SRM carriers can shoot me from longer range than I can shoot them with LRMs. It's been one round and a mechwarrior is already critical and with three wounds. From cover. With four evasion. Two headshots. Behemoth's hosed.

60 and 80-ton vehicles are your primary targets when they appear on sensors. More than anything else. More than a King Crab, even. Pull back immediately, Sensor Lock, and drill it with LRMs.

Also I'm fairly sure that if that SRM Carrier shot you from long range, then it was an LRM Carrier.

They're also a thing.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Is there somewhere I can see the "speed" of a mech?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Liquid Communism posted:

Nearing the end of the campaign. Still don't have a stock Catapult.

I want my missile chicken!

Trade ya for a stalker