Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Once you move to medium and heavy teams, you need to switch to stability damage. What worked for me was switching my centurion into a 3 LRM missile boat, rebuilding my vindicator around the PPC so it could fire every round, and rebuilding the blackjack with one AC5 and four medium lasers + heatsinks and extra armor , so it can either snipe or jump in as needed. My fourth was a LRM 5 and PPC shadowhawk. That set up will do enough stability damage to knockdown any heavy in one round, and if you fire the missiles indirectly they come straight down on the mechs head for extra pilot damage. You always want to be killing the pilots so you can get 3 salvage and unlock the mech right away.

If you're still getting into slugging matches at this point you get your face ripped off, and all you have to show for it is wrecked salvage, a huge repair bill and downtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Coucho Marx posted:

You can fit a ~40 LRM salvo and enough ammo (4-6) with enough space left for four JJs and some paper-thin armour. You're keeping it behind a rock well back from the fight anyway, so you don't need much.

Oh, Panzyr.

Stick someone with Evasive Movement and Piloting 6, if at all possible, in the Shadow Hawk. Completely max out its armour everywhere except a little less on the back, add max JJs, three Heatsinks, an MLas, an SLas, three SRM4s and one SRM ammo. Like this:

Make sure your other mechs have long-range options: AC/5s and 10s, LLas, PPCs, and LRMs - they'll get a workout this battle. Hell, make all of your mechs full-armour snipers. You now know where the carriers are, so your job is to kill both of them before they take a turn! Sensor Lock the first one, get vision on the other with a mech firing on the first, and blow them both to hell. Or, Sensor Lock and kill one from a distance, making sure to stay the loving gently caress away from the other one until next turn. If the SRM Carriers are shooting at you from fog of war, that's a bug. Take screenshots and report it. Also, show us!

As soon as the turrets are online, you're going to start booking it with the Shadow Hawk. Either go on top of the little peninsula, or through the forest, whichever looks safer with the mechs you can see. Jump max distance, then Brace, towards the area with the enclosed walls. Additionally, sprint/jump your other mechs towards the path leading down into the base - you'll be more or less camping up here with them. The faster your mechs get close to the other mechs, the faster they'll swich targets to them. Between your tanky mechs and the turrets, very few mechs will want to fire at your Hawk.

I've done this mission twice now, succeeding both times. First time I blew the building with four turns left, the second with three turns left. Both times, it was with a Shadow Hawk. Both times, the turrets stuck around and did a great job.

Also, by Panzyr, you really should have a heavy mech. Do more Battle/Assassination missions in and around Weldry until you get a Thunderbolt or Orion or something.

All my mechs had long range options. No one's past 5 or 6 in a skill but that's fine. The SRMs blew them off one mech so it was useless except as a meatshield (they weren't from fog b ut I didn't know they were carriers because they were in fog, though I don't know why no one could shoot them on an open road). After reloading I rushed two on the main road with the lrm boat as cover. The hawk just barely made it and took the control center out; it lost both of its arms as the price. The Blackjack took a few mechs out but finally lost its arms as well, the pilot ejected. The first crippled mech finally ejected with the lrm boat because it was too slow to make it.

I beat the mission with no deaths, three wounded warriors, and three hosed up mechs. I lost most of my good gear but that's fine, I can recover. I have nothing in reserve but I do have money to burn so I can wait it out. Sorry I forgot to take screenshots I was clenching the whole last half hour. I beat it with three rounds to go, now that I drove down the road and didn't try to rappel down the cliff. :v:

I have eight heavies at 1/3. Ol' MechCOM has been having a bad time. No salvage this mission either because the heavies survived; I just hauled rear end and ran. I got a second Trebuchet part and a whole Panther though!

I'm finding the game really frustrating (because I've played too much XCOM I think) but super fun.

quote:

Are you guys just trying to run like, four pilots?

Have some substitutes. Get some medbay upgrades.

I've got six right now, rip dekker

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 30, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Astroniomix posted:

I think it bears mentioning that the leopard is about a half-notch above "completely worthless" for everything that isn't "move something from point A to point B" and "shoot at stuff". The unupgraded argo is a significant improvement for mechs because it has an actual medbay, and pilot downtimes go down significantly once you start upgrading the medbays.
Weirdly enough, pilot downtimes don't change too much, but mech repair times change massively. Even with upgraded medbays I'm still looking at 14 days per wound, roughly.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
there isn't much in the way of medbay improvements

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What's the battle mission type bug I've seen people mention before?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

WrightOfWay posted:

Probably reinforcements spawning the moment you make contact with the enemy. That's the bug I've experienced many times.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ravenfood posted:

Weirdly enough, pilot downtimes don't change too much, but mech repair times change massively. Even with upgraded medbays I'm still looking at 14 days per wound, roughly.

So the medbay upgrades are IMO weighted too heavily on the last one. A single injury with everything maxed is 6-8 days (off the top of my head) depending on the pilot's guts skill.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Gamerofthegame posted:

there isn't much in the way of medbay improvements

you may have to upgrade some other parts of the Argo, there's at least 3 levels of medbay I know of and I'm not done bringing pods online

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Astroniomix posted:

That's not how random numbers work. But yes, called shot weighs every poo poo fired (missiles still do the "roll hit loaction for the first missile and then all the other impacts cluster around the frist" thing)

Lastly the numbers on the called shot window are just the chance for a weapon that hits to hit that location, not the chance for you to actually hit.

I think something is just weird about Called Shot in general, maybe related to campaign missions. I'm in a mission now where a bunch of reinforcements just spawned and I can't target any of their heads with the two characters that are acting this round. Some of them are positioned above my dudes and some of them are below my dudes but they're all facing me and all of their front facing armor can be targeted except their heads

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

WrightOfWay posted:

battle missions are supposed to receive a reinforcement lance but the reinforcements appear to spawn instantly in battle missions, meaning that you will make contact and then immediately face down ~2x your tonnage in enemy mechs, which makes anything but pyrrhic victories difficult/impossible

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

RBA Starblade posted:

All my mechs had long range options. No one's past 5 or 6 in a skill but that's fine. The SRMs blew them off one mech so it was useless except as a meatshield (they weren't from fog b ut I didn't know they were carriers because they were in fog, though I don't know why no one could shoot them on an open road). After reloading I rushed two on the main road with the lrm boat as cover. The hawk just barely made it and took the control center out; it lost both of its arms as the price. The Blackjack took a few mechs out but finally lost its arms as well, the pilot ejected. The first crippled mech finally ejected with the lrm boat because it was too slow to make it.

I beat the mission with no deaths, three wounded warriors, and three hosed up mechs. I lost most of my good gear but that's fine, I can recover. I have nothing in reserve but I do have money to burn so I can wait it out. Sorry I forgot to take screenshots I was clenching the whole last half hour. I beat it with three rounds to go, now that I drove down the road and didn't try to rappel down the cliff. :v:

I have eight heavies at 1/3. Ol' MechCOM has been having a bad time. No salvage this mission either because the heavies survived; I just hauled rear end and ran. I got a second Trebuchet part and a whole Panther though!

I'm finding the game really frustrating (because I've played too much XCOM I think) but super fun.

Yay! I'd say stop now and recover, then do contracts until you actually have a few heavies. It's not like it was an easy mission, anyway - I went in with a Black Knight brawler, Jagermech sniper, Centurion LRM boat, and the Shadow Hawk, and the first two got it pretty hard.

WrightOfWay posted:

'Reinforcements' appear the second you see your first enemy (instead of, presumably, after you've killed half of them). Turns what should be a relatively even, fun fight into a clusterfuck. Or, it turns a difficult fight into a nightmare, depending on the OpFor.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

VolticSurge posted:

Probably reinforcements spawning the moment you make contact with the enemy. That's the bug I've experienced many times.

Or already being on the ground. I just bashed my head against a battle mission 4 times before winning it. Finally I moved all my guys to defensible positions far away from the waypoint for the target, but near where the reinforcements had come from every time. Sure enough, they were there to start with. So I blew them to a pulp as the main enemy targets slowly walked their way over to me.

Which was good, having a whole extra lance rolling up my flank as a Kintaro and an Orion and a Hunchback blow you to poo poo is less than ideal. Even then all my poo poo is in the repair bay. I ended the mission with one mech cored out and my LRM boats out of ammo, stomping the Orion to death.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Control Volume posted:

So are skulls themselves not that accurate? The orion I got in the last post was from a 4-skull mission, and it was on the same difficulty curve as some of the 2-skull stuff. Maybe it's just that the destroy the base missions are easier as a rule.

I believe there's a random factor, and some missions are harder than they appear (assassinations, e.g.)

I guess you can get on the bad side of both of those and also get hosed by the reinforcement bug so they all arrive at once.

Isildur talked about it in a Twitter thread (the system, not the bug)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Flavahbeast posted:

I think something is just weird about Called Shot in general, maybe related to campaign missions. I'm in a mission now where a bunch of reinforcements just spawned and I can't target any of their heads with the two characters that are acting this round. Some of them are positioned above my dudes and some of them are below my dudes but they're all facing me and all of their front facing armor can be targeted except their heads

Here are screenshots. Maybe there's something I don't understand about targeting but I've never seen this happen before:

Every targetable mech gives the same result:

The game seems to think their heads aren't visible from my position or something? I moved another character closer and he's able to target heads just fine, but at range he had the same issue.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there a reason that the little stencil paint designs in this game are literally the exact same ones as MWO online? Is the franchise that unified?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

So I only really have one heavy mech in my arsenal, but the Thunderbolt is a solid choice with a little bit of tinkering

So I decided to pull of the DHS from the Highlander you get and I think it makes for a pretty terrifying mech... especially with some other things, before the DHS I had a large laser and a pair of SRM-4's, but this baby can churn out with almost not heat build 200 damage of backshotting a round and can do so decent plinking at range with the PPC. It can even do a one time alpha before cooling and insta gib even some assaults if I take a concentrated fire back-shot.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 30, 2018

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Skulls are +/- based on system and mission type so they can bracket the shown value and then the pool of possible enemy configs may be more or less suited to your lance combo. I've seen people post about mission types where they got wrecked and I did something very similar and had no issue, then vice versa.

an Argo upgrade to give Darius a better-stocked liquor cabinet to reduce half a skull's worth of uncertainty would be amusing. If he gets his contacts drunk, they let slip the real story...

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there a reason that the little stencil paint designs in this game are literally the exact same ones as MWO online? Is the franchise that unified?

It's because it's the exact same paper doll that TT uses. That's where all the other games got it from.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

How the hell do I get another assault?!?!

I've only got the one from the story mission, but I can't seem to get any others.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Astroniomix posted:

It's because it's the exact same paper doll that TT uses. That's where all the other games got it from.

Also, all the mech models were licensed straight from MWO.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

How the hell do I get another assault?!?!

I've only got the one from the story mission, but I can't seem to get any others.
Do more missions, get more salvage. I'll pieced together a couple of king crabs from random missions. Both came from 'kill the spy' missions, oddly enough. I carefully and repeatedly knocked down the mechs while carving up the side torsos.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

VolticSurge posted:

I want them to change the message to say "Uh oh Commander, the enemy reinforcements are here already!" instead. Having to deal with Oh gently caress The Enemy Outnumbers Me and Out Tonnages Me For Once How Will I Defeat Them!?! makes it more entertaining.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 30, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Astroniomix posted:

I feel like i should be able to import my bobbleheads

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

VolticSurge posted:

That hosed me up real bad on a 1 skull mission earlier. Hope it gets fixed soon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Jack2142 posted:

So I only really have one heavy mech in my arsenal, but the Thunderbolt is a solid choice with a little bit of tinkering

So I decided to pull of the DHS from the Highlander you get and I think it makes for a pretty terrifying mech... especially with some other things, before the DHS I had a large laser and a pair of SRM-4's, but this baby can churn out with almost not heat build 200 damage of backshotting a round and can do so decent plinking at range with the PPC. It can even do a one time alpha before cooling and insta gib even some assaults if I take a concentrated fire back-shot.

Yeah I don't think I'd ever run that

The DHS are completely irreplaceable so putting them on a mech you expect to get shot at a lot seems risky. I keep mine on my long range mechs since they get way fewer broken parts.

I also don't think I'd put them on anything but an Assault with high armor for the same reason

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

My punch-banshee is cursed. Behemoth took a PPC to the face so I had to eject her because one hit would have blown the cockpit. The next mission, Medusa in the same, newly reapaired mech takes 2 LRM bonks to the head and then an awesome runs around the corner and puts its face through his cockpit. RIP Medusa you were dispassionate but very fast and good at punching things.

Also, that mission had a lance of 4 demolishers :gonk:

edit: he died a few hours before payday, too. rip

GruntyThrst fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 30, 2018

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are you guys just trying to run like, four pilots?

Have some substitutes. Get some medbay upgrades.

All the pilots! But only KS backers, I'm paying big money to have them sit in the Argo. Gonna catch them all. They are endearing in their awfulness.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How hard is it to write a simple, basic backstory for your backer character rather than...whatever we got from the backer characters.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Night10194 posted:

How hard is it to write a simple, basic backstory for your backer character rather than...whatever we got from the backer characters.

The kind of people willing to pay to have bespoke character representation are unlikely to make it simple. :)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Night10194 posted:

lol.

1) Because everyone's trying to write the main character of a story. No one shells out that kind of money to write the equivalent of 'Dan is a well adjusted person who drives his ancestral mech after his father had to retire'. That would be an absolutely insane waste of money since there are already a billion of those characters in the game.

2) Writing a good story is hard and most people are terrible at it.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Insert name here posted:

It's not 100% every time though. I need to test the next time it happens but it anecdotally it seems to happen if you train a skill while they have high/low spirits. I've managed to lock two of my pilots into high spirits and the one low spirits one expired normally.

Glitch has been High Spirits for nearly my entire game. This is cannon and should be expected.

The 2 Mechwarriors with low spirits got fired and the other one ate an AC20 to the head. He was praying for it to happen.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Coucho Marx posted:

Yay! I'd say stop now and recover, then do contracts until you actually have a few heavies. It's not like it was an easy mission, anyway - I went in with a Black Knight brawler, Jagermech sniper, Centurion LRM boat, and the Shadow Hawk, and the first two got it pretty hard.

Haha yep, I flew all the way back to Detroit for a nice easy mission (which immediately sent me somewhere else :toot:). Going to focus on finishing up some of these incomplete mechs, if I can ever get my dudes to not just blast the core to bits when I aim for a leg. :v:

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Night10194 posted:

This is a world of special snowflakes. Backer characters were the worst in Pillar of Eternity for me, even the names of the backers in the random names of the aliens of Faster Than Light were annoying. In Battletech I don't mind them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

cugel posted:

This is a world of special snowflakes. Backer characters were the worst in Pillar of Eternity for me, even the names of the backers in the random names of the aliens of Faster Than Light were annoying. In Battletech I don't mind them.

A couple aren't too bad. I found one that was just "she graduated early and was pretty good at flanking!" and another that was "he's an old fart who lies to everyone about who he is because he doesn't give a poo poo anymore". Then I also saw the one who graduated at the top of his class kid, nothin' personnel

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

bleh well this exceeded my attention span

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Synthbuttrange posted:

bleh well this exceeded my attention span

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Strobe posted:

Long-rear end medbay duration is what happens when your pilot takes a serious concussion, multiple broken bones, burns and lacerations, and internal bleeding while you have some second-hand forceps and lots of gauze.

How the gently caress are you getting injured so badly in a 60 ton robot??? Seems like they should put you in a titanium bathtub like the A-10

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

You're getting shot at with the kind of weapons designed to punch through a 60 ton robot. That's how you're getting hurt.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Peven Stan posted:

How the gently caress are you getting injured so badly in a 60 ton robot??? Seems like they should put you in a titanium bathtub like the A-10

Neural feedback shock is a hell of a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Peven Stan posted:

If an AC/5 hits you full in the face, you bet your rear end there's going to be some spalling, concussion from the exploding rounds, and the act of physically impacting the inside the cockpit when 8-10 40mm high explosive rounds go off within about two feet.