Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Miftan posted:

The people who are FBPE just seem like liberals to me. You know, the "half of all people who gently caress over the poor should be women!" type of crowd. Sorry, I don't know how to do the clap emoji.

They're all outright Tories. It's the Conservative party that tore itself apart over Europe and hence it's Conservative voters that feel they have to show off how they feel on Europe. I get that a lot of them call themselves "Centreist dads" because they're ashamed of the party they support thanks to FYGM but let's not forget what they are (I have similar feelings about the way the neo-nazis call themselves "alt-right" now, it's all just an attempt to seem friendlier and more cuddly and I don't want them to succeed)

224AD was the "Year of the Consulship of Iulianus and Crispinus" - I'm sure there will be a similarly pithy name for the current phase of British political history in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Brokenshire is as boring as warm mud and a close ally of May so I'm not surprised to see him back in the cabinet

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 30, 2018

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

All the tributes to Amber Rudd are making me ill. She lied because she thought she could get away with it, then jumped to different lies as evidence emerged. Even in her resignation she continued to claim she didn't know about the targets which is total horseshit - the letter shows that she set them herself. She is fundamentally dishonest and I'm glad the Tories have finally received some blowback for lying constantly.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ugh just filled in the pip form, yet again. Each time I forget how incredibly evil it is worded till the next time.

God help anyone who does not understand how this mess of a point scoring system works. Or who does not have the massive quantity of evidence needed to back it up. Or does not have someone appointed to fill it in for them.

It’s heavily weighted towards physical ability and illness, anything mental is relegated to almost meaningless so you won’t get the points unless you know how.

If anyone ever needs help please please don’t hesitate to contact me. I’m more than happy teach you the ways of getting points on the cooking section and suchlike. Don’t need incredibly personal details just say you have depression or claustrophobia and whatnot.

If someone wants to add that people can PM me about help with PIP to the thread’s OP then please feel free to do so.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I sincerely hope there are big things in the future for both of these people

EDIT - I was feeling really nervy about this week/local elections but I'm getting a weird (though not scientifically proven) feeling that the tide is turning

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/990915728554459137

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

learnincurve posted:

If someone wants to add that people can PM me about help with PIP to the thread’s OP then please feel free to do so.

You are doing the lord's work.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I still want to know who's telling Tories to stand like that.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I still want to know who's telling Tories to stand like that.
Torn straight from the Codex of Timothy

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Osborne is trying to throw civil servants under the bus

https://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/990911105592684545?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Party Boat posted:

who knows how much dirty poo poo they have on Osborne, we know the treasury was just straight making up growth forecasts for a long time. anyone with eyes knows he was off his tits on a number of occasions and we know he was bessie pals with james murdoch

it is a real shame that all these people get at worst is a minor scandal and a resignation rather than being hanged from lampposts

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yes please continue your war with the civil service. This can only go well.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So how many secretaries have been fired or have resigned in disgrace during this administration's first ten months

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Party Boat posted:

Trying to throw somebody under a bus that already left and is halfway to Ipswich by now.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

On one hand It's good to see Rudd go.

On the other had, Javid voted against better fire regulations pre-grenfell and again attempted to weaken them post-grenfell by wanting the inclusion of desktop studies.

Basically I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Abbott's reloading https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/990927190274592769

And RLB on the Sasdburys merger which I feel is less important but w/e saving e-trees I guess

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So how many secretaries have been fired or have resigned in disgrace during this administration's first ten months

Four resignations and a crappy re-shuffle in six months apparently

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

It's interesting to note that through all this government chaos Labour has continued to churn out policy announcements - today its a cap on overdraft charges.

It's almost strange since they get almost no press due to being buried by the agenda, but it's nice to see that Labour is doing a better job of getting on with the day to day business of developing policy than the actual government.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Michael Fallon, Priti Patel, gropey Damien Green, Amber Rudd, and Justine Greening just got sacked after Jeremy Hunt refused to step down from Health. And something might have changed at DWP?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also RE: local elections, Graun dropped a bit of a bombshell last night that was lost beneath the nuclear blast of Rudd's self-detonation: roughly 1 in 10 councillors in London have ties to the property market or lobby. Unsurprising, of course, but also not the kind of information you want people to see explicitly out there just before polling day.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Green
Fallon
Patel
Rudd

it's been a busy few months

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Theres a consultant enjoying a big fat check on a carribean shore laughing their rear end off.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/990934418452819970
The latest poll for what it's worth, which considering the fieldwork was begun ten days ago isn't much.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Didn't Javid vote in favour of all of this deportation nonsense and is in fact just as bad if not worse than Rudd on the issue because he actually gives a poo poo about it rather than being oblivious? His incompetence remains to be seen but I'm sure it won't take long.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

jabby posted:

The latest poll for what it's worth, which considering the fieldwork was begun ten days ago isn't much.

#libdemfightback baby

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jabby posted:

lib dem... fightback?!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
New thread title to see us off, sadly the apostrophe has to go due to Tory cuts.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Diet Crack posted:

Didn't Javid vote in favour of all of this deportation nonsense and is in fact just as bad if not worse than Rudd on the issue because he actually gives a poo poo about it rather than being oblivious? His incompetence remains to be seen but I'm sure it won't take long.

Yeah the Tory party is a hydra and cutting off one head is momentarily funny but ultimately pointless.

Basically anybody on that betting site's list of candidates was going to be as evil as she was.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Just learned that Javid idolises Ayn Rand and reads The Fountainhead once a year.

Ew.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

glad she is dead posted:

Just learned that Javid idolises Ayn Rand and reads The Fountainhead once a year.

Ew.

The Fountainegg

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A man's eggo is the fountainhead of human progress.

Not Operator posted:

Yeah the Tory party is a hydra and cutting off one head is momentarily funny but ultimately pointless.

Remains relevant.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
That's the one where the woman gets raped but because its a big strong business man asserting his objectivist masculinity she's okay with it.

Cool fav book, J-Man, I'd have probably said Dune myself.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

glad she is dead posted:

Ew.

Specifically the part where the 'hero' insists the only obligation he has towards his fellow human beings is to 'respect their freedom' and nothing else.

Sounds like a solid position for someone in charge of public services.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

labour seem determined to make this the case of the election - effectively banking in people not being huge racists

one worries that this is a weak strategy, but it is admirable

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Fans posted:

New thread title to see us off, sadly the apostrophe has to go due to Tory cuts.

Beautiful.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

labour seem determined to make this the case of the election - effectively banking in people not being huge racists

thing is the population are pretty racist, but they don't like to be *thought* of as racist

so by tarring the government with the "racism" brush it makes people unwilling to support them

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

Specifically the part where the 'hero' insists the only obligation he has towards his fellow human beings is to 'respect their freedom' and nothing else.

Sounds like a solid position for someone in charge of public services.
Also the one where the hero blows up a housing project because he doesn't like that someone made changes to his design.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

V. Illych L. posted:

If there is anything I have learned in the last few years of UK politics it's that people are huge racists

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Also the one where the hero blows up a housing project because he doesn't like that someone made changes to his design.

The part that blew my mind from the Guardian was that apparently Javid read his favourite bit of The Fountainhead to his girlfriend (now his wife) and she said she'd break up with him if he ever did it again.

Just.. how can you have a relationship with someone you fundamentally disagree with about their entire approach to ethics and morality? It boggles my mind. There is nothing more fundamental to someone's character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
people are absolutely massive racists but they'll point blank refuse to believe this and mostly think only their opinion on the subject has any weight

this is about black british taxpayers being deported and abused - the BNP stance was softer than this. Sure, most tories would have done exactly the same thing, but they can't look their black friends in the eye and say this is fine (because they're in jamaica). We won't succeed in making people accept that a "hostile environment" towards minorities is definitively racist because racists don't understand cause and effect, but they don't like the effect, and that's the focus.

• Locked thread