Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
:whitewater: https://www.buzzfeed.com/davidmack/boy-toddler-killed-ride-on-lawn-mower-run-over-snohomish?utm_term=.by0EEnn0nG#.kyPDDYYNYA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

quote:

Some 13 children are injured by lawn mowers every day in the US, according to a 2017 study from the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital.

???????????????????????????????????

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I am sincerely not familiar with this style of open faced lawn mower which is basically this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3CSsvtw-h0

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

All mowers should have a bag on them. I don't like the open mowers. I got hit with a rock by one right above my eye. gently caress open lawnmowers. I still use one though. I just can't imagine a scenario where a kid could fall off and under a mower unless the kid was seated on the very front of it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ariong posted:

Some 13 children are injured by lawn mowers every day in the US, according to a 2017 study from the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital.

Those 13 kids should be more careful.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Untrustable posted:

All mowers should have a bag on them.

Makes clean-up easy?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Mulching blades supremacy. You'll never know it was a kid.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Was following the lawn tractor story and found this:

Police Are Investigating After The Severed Heads Of Two Women With Reddish Hair Were Found 150 Miles Apart
The women, who have not been identified, were both around the same age, had reddish hair, and good teeth."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/maryanngeorgantopoulos/severed-heads-women-reddish-hair-texas-louisiana?utm_term=.ai15GKKKOv#.nejkVllln1

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Scathach posted:

Hey if we can clone people we can at least have our own bodies with our old-rear end brains. Seems like a sweet deal to me.

I want to be a cyborg tbh. Make me like the Major. But the good anime one, not Scarjo.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ariong posted:

???????????????????????????????????
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEuT9sePcI4

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Interesting. Are there any more documentaries in this series?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

8 Ball posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43928318

It's no cult or serial killer but boy is it unnerving

quote:

Prof Sestan is said to have described the result as "mind-boggling"
:downsrim:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ariong posted:

Interesting. Are there any more documentaries in this series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAgSUFT4cVk

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Araenna posted:

TBH I know I've heard it several times but I'm not sure I ever really looked into it myself. Some casual googling makes it look like even if it was a thing people said, it's outdated information, because of how few female serial killers we are aware of, and how for years people denied that they even existed. I'd think, though, that since it seems like there's more who do it for things like financial gain compared to their male counterparts, and also less of a sexual bent in general, that it's at least POSSIBLE that they are better at changing their MO. Of course, when it comes down to it, the ones we catch tend to be the ones with a specific MO or signature of some sort, since it's much easier to link the murders together. So we probably don't really have a good idea about serial killers in general, just the ones we catch (and know are serial killers, since I'm sure there are those out there that get arrested and tried for murder without anyone realizing that there are more victims out there).

ETA: Sorry for repeating what seems to be bull poo poo without actually making sure it was true.

To build off this since I did a paper on this years ago, for decades if not longer it was believed that women were inherently incapable of violent crimes or killing and in the cases where a woman did kill, it was believed that a man had to put her up to it. This is likely where the roots of women getting lighter sentences than men in similar crimes came from. So when they came across ones like Amelia Dyer, the Reading Baby Farmer aka the Ogress of Reading, it was incredibly shocking. While she was only convicted of something like three murdered babies, it's believed she probably killed a hell of a lot more because the Victorian Era really frowned upon illegitimate babies. In the transcripts I read on the case, she pretty much boasted that "you'll know mine by the knots I used" which really caused a society shakeup because it was drawing attention to the messed up truth that there were several baby farmers who were likely murdering the infants they were charged with adopting out. Not really surprising since these are the same Victorians who were completely convinced that women became prostitutes because they were sex crazed instead of having poor education and lovely options.

Women generally tend to be more subtle in their victims, especially if they're the caregivers as well as more subtle in their murder weapon. While I haven't read on any who did have a sexual motive compared to financial motive or munchausen's by proxy (maybe Homolka), equally I can't say that it's not possible. There's been quite a few who were murdering thier children and the deaths were originally believed to be SIDS until someone started looking into why there's eight SIDS deaths happening to one woman. Same goes for those who were taking care of sickly or elderly family. Equally, look at how many nurses who end up being Angels of Death were able to get away with murdering their patients that were originally assumed to have passed on from natural causes.

I do feel that the more the realization that women can be serial killers the same as men can, we'll be seeing more reported.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

M_Sinistrari posted:

There's been quite a few who were murdering thier children and the deaths were originally believed to be SIDS until someone started looking into why there's eight SIDS deaths happening to one woman.

This is a good segue into another case I find particularly unnerving, of Sally Clark. She was an English woman who had two babies die of SIDS, was found guilty of the murder of both, and later found to be wrongly convicted because it turned out the trial relied on faulty statistics and crucial evidence being withheld. Oh, and she was a woman found guilty of murdering her babies, the daughter of a police officer, and a solicitor, so jail was not a fun place for her. She ended up dying of likely accidental alcohol poisoning in her flat at age 42, never having recovered from the deaths of her children, the trial, or her time in jail. As a result of her trial, several other women had convictions thrown out, many of whom had been convicted on the evidence of the same paediatrician who had testified in the Sally Clark case.

I can't imagine how terrible it is to have multiple children die. I can't imagine how much worse it is on top of that to the be accused and found guilty of murder, let alone when it's based on the flawed evidence of someone who put multiple other women in jail for the same thing. Murderers and rapists and stuff are unnerving enough in their own ways, but this is terrifying to me in a different way, in terms of how... everyday and mundane it is, for lack of a better way of putting it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Going to prison over something I didn't do is a nightmare of mine. The combo of grief, injustice and hopelessness in that story would just end me.

And then I always consider how many times this happened and everyone considered justice served, the end.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

If forgetting your baby in a hot car wasn't harrowing enough, here's watching your son go under the lawnmower you're driving!

gently caress this thread sometimes

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Amber Rudd's resignation letter not having justified formatting seems like her trying to piss off senior civil servants one last time. They fuckin HATE left aligned documents.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

glad she is dead posted:

Amber Rudd's resignation letter not having justified formatting seems like her trying to piss off senior civil servants one last time. They fuckin HATE left aligned documents.

governments tend to hate anything left-aligned

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

M_Sinistrari posted:

Women generally tend to be more subtle in their victims, especially if they're the caregivers as well as more subtle in their murder weapon. While I haven't read on any who did have a sexual motive compared to financial motive or munchausen's by proxy (maybe Homolka), equally I can't say that it's not possible.
Moors murders, Myra Hindley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors_murders

I don't think I've ever heard of a sexually sadistic female serial killer who operated alone, though, only ones who did it together with a male partner.

And it feels like serial killings committed purely for financial gain aren't quite the same thing; you wouldn't normally call a Mob hitman a serial killer, would you? But I do think women who keep having babies and murdering them should usually count as serial killers. This German woman who killed her 8 babies and buried them in flowerpots, for example: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/jun/01/germany Or this completely different German woman who killed her 8 babies and left them around the house: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/12/german-woman-tells-trial-she-killed-babies-found-in-home-but-can/

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Actually, sometimes hitmen are lumped in with the “Comfort killer” archetype.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Jane Toppan didn't straight up torture her victims but she would get into bed with her victims as they were dying.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Toppan

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

pookel posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of a sexually sadistic female serial killer who operated alone, though, only ones who did it together with a male partner.

I wonder if that has more to do with the fact those are more typically abductions? It might be that women like that are more likely to seek out a similarly minded male partner to make it easier to overpower people. Could also be because for a long time it was very easy to blame it all on the man when being an "accomplice" who was often seen as being as abused and as a victim.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

Moors murders, Myra Hindley: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moors_murders

And it feels like serial killings committed purely for financial gain aren't quite the same thing; you wouldn't normally call a Mob hitman a serial killer, would you? But I do think women who keep having babies and murdering them should usually count as serial killers. This German woman who killed her 8 babies and buried them in flowerpots, for example: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/jun/01/germany Or this completely different German woman who killed her 8 babies and left them around the house: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/12/german-woman-tells-trial-she-killed-babies-found-in-home-but-can/

The serial killer tag is generally applied to killers with some identifiable modus operandi, and little apparent motive outside of satisfying personal needs. Contract killers are usually just collecting a paycheck, and are not driven by some insatiable urge to stalk and murder people. The victim profile of a contract killer is "whoever someone else paid me to kill," which is one of the most important distinctions between a run-of-the-mill murderer, and a serial killer.

"Serial killer" is not a super-well-defined term, with different authorities using different criteria, but I don't think there are any widely-accepted definitions that would include Mob hitmen.

Interestingly (to people like me), a Mob hitman can totally be a serial killer in his spare time. Richard Kuklinski is the classic example of this.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

The serial killer tag is generally applied to killers with some identifiable modus operandi, and little apparent motive outside of satisfying personal needs. Contract killers are usually just collecting a paycheck, and are not driven by some insatiable urge to stalk and murder people. The victim profile of a contract killer is "whoever someone else paid me to kill," which is one of the most important distinctions between a run-of-the-mill murderer, and a serial killer.

"Serial killer" is not a super-well-defined term, with different authorities using different criteria, but I don't think there are any widely-accepted definitions that would include Mob hitmen.
I was just thinking, that Victorian woman who claimed to be running an orphanage and adopting out kids but was just straight-up murdering them was not really a serial killer, either. Just a cold-blooded murderer making easy money.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

I was just thinking, that Victorian woman who claimed to be running an orphanage and adopting out kids but was just straight-up murdering them was not really a serial killer, either. Just a cold-blooded murderer making easy money.

You probably mean Amelia Dyer. She'd still be considered a serial killer by most criteria. She selected her own victims, had a relatively set process, and was doing it for no other reason than to satisfy her personal needs. In her case, the fact that she selected and (in a manner) stalked her victims is probably the deciding factor in which category to place her in.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Interestingly (to people like me), a Mob hitman can totally be a serial killer in his spare time. Richard Kuklinski is the classic example of this.

My take is that we as a society only view someone as a serial killer if they are internally driven to kill by some internal emotional need, which causes them to choose victims as an outlet for those emotions.

Under that view, mob assassins don't count because the murder is viewed as a business transaction, and the assassin would not kill the victim without a monetary incentive. It gets blurry with someone like Richard Kuklinski, because if one accepts his stories at face value, he's a serial killer who, for lack of a better term, decided to monetize his "hobby".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I lump Kuklinski in with other pathological liars like Wuornos and Henry Lee Lucas. He's definitely killed a bunch of people outside of his contract killings, but how many and how he did it are all up in the air because that dude loving lied through his teeth so much he started believing his own lies.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Thwomp posted:

And now for something different.

What does this sound like to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGQ1x5r-LCQ

The power of suggestion says it sounds like human screams.

Hard to know exactly where the suggestion ends and where actuality begins.
I have one made by a movie prop maker in Mexico and it really does sound like a bloodcurdling scream.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Azathoth posted:

My take is that we as a society only view someone as a serial killer if they are internally driven to kill by some internal emotional need, which causes them to choose victims as an outlet for those emotions.
Under that view, mob assassins don't count because the murder is viewed as a business transaction, and the assassin would not kill the victim without a monetary incentive. It gets blurry with someone like Richard Kuklinski, because if one accepts his stories at face value, he's a serial killer who, for lack of a better term, decided to monetize his "hobby".

Solice Kirsk posted:

I lump Kuklinski in with other pathological liars like Wuornos and Henry Lee Lucas. He's definitely killed a bunch of people outside of his contract killings, but how many and how he did it are all up in the air because that dude loving lied through his teeth so much he started believing his own lies.

Kuklinski was a special case in more ways than one. We can't take his stories at face value, because, as Solice Kirsk pointed out, Kuklinski was full of poo poo a lot of the time. However, the crimes we know he committed, added to the crimes he plausibly committed, leave little doubt that he was a prolific serial killer. His is one of those cases where they pinned x bodies on him, but literally everyone is certain that the count is x*2, or x*10. The count is also very like < than the 200+ Kuklinski often claimed. His place in serial killer lore is also a little blurry due to his mixing of business killings and personal killings.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest that Kuklinski is at all truthful, just that he clearly killed outside of his mob work for those nebulous "emotional reasons" and that he should be differentiated from other mob killers like Sammy "the Bull" Gravano, who killed because that's something that the mob needs done. Not that he should be taken at face value either, but I hope I got my point across.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Oh absolutely. I was agreeing with you that he's outside of a normal contract killer and I think he would have killed a ton of people "just because" even if he weren't a mob hitman.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea most hitmen are already involved with organized criminal activity and then they fall into contract killing because somebody determines they might have a "talent" for it. With Kuklinski it was more like he specifically sought out the DeMeo family(he owed them money at first) because hey I'm already killing people for fun why not go all-out and become a real professional?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

Yea most hitmen are already involved with organized criminal activity and then they fall into contract killing because somebody determines they might have a "talent" for it. With Kuklinski it was more like he specifically sought out the DeMeo family(he owed them money at first) because hey I'm already killing people for fun why not go all-out and become a real professional?

you know what they say, do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mycroft Holmes posted:

governments tend to hate anything left-aligned

:eyepop:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I was pondering the idea of women serial killers, and how they tend to use poisons and whatnot, and it occurred to me that for a physically unimposing woman, being a sniper serial killer would be a good bet.

That got me wondering what proportion of serial killers are snipers, but since there isn't a set category for that on Wikipeida, you have to go to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:American_criminal_snipers and then filter out the spree-killers or mass-murderers.

With that method, really not finding many long-term serial killers who used sniping as a method. There's the Beltway Snipers, though apparently there's some argument as to whether they count as serial or just an extended spree. Probably the best example is Joseph Paul Franklin who killed some 22 people, mostly by sniping, over three years: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Paul_Franklin

Franklin was really into White Power, so a lot of his victims were minorities, or else involved in interracial sex. Among other things, he shot and paralyzed Larry Flynt for showing interracial sex in Hustler. He also killed one man outside of a synagogue, killed two black boys while out hunting for inter-racial couples, and used a revolver to kill two white hitchhikers he picked up after one mentioned having a black boyfriend.

For gun-nerds, it's unusual that one of his preferred weapons was a Ruger .44 caliber semi-automatic carbine, which oddly enough was also the favored weapon of another minor sniper I ran across. It's really made more to be a hunting rifle in thick brush, for hogs or deer, but apparently they guy chose it for a reason.

Franklin was to be later memorialized in the book Hunter by William L. Pearce, same guy who wrote the famous The Turner Diaries.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
IIRC in the early 90s there was a guy in Sweden called "Laserman" who was a bank robber and failed racist serial killer because he shot 11 people with a laser-sight equipped rifle (hence the name) before being arrested but only 1 of them died.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC in the early 90s there was a guy in Sweden called "Laserman" who was a bank robber and failed racist serial killer because he shot 11 people with a laser-sight equipped rifle (hence the name) before being arrested but only 1 of them died.

Found the guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ausonius

And yeah, some poor tactical planning:

quote:

Between 1981 and 1982, Ausonius served in the Swedish army and thus learnt how to use weapons. However, his personal weapons were of poor quality, very likely because Ausonius had modified them. He sawed off the barrel and the stock of his first rifle to make it shorter, and he fitted the Smith & Wesson revolver with a silencer. This modification may have been the key to his failures in killing most of his victims as it deviated the bullet's trajectory and consequently caused him to miss his victims. It was amateurishly done and damaged the weapon's performance.[3]

If you cut the buttstock off a rifle, you've removed one of the main ways to stabilize it, so you'd have to take major measures like only shooting it when it's resting on a sandbag on your car hood or something.

With a suppressor, you have to re-adjust the sights on a weapon to account for the new trajectory, and also suppressors don't work very well on revolvers because they have a gap between the cylinder and the barrel, so you end up having a bunch of noise and flash seep out of the gap before the gases even hit the suppressor.

And lastly, a laser sight is really only useful in a limited number of situations, and again only if you've carefully adjusted it to match the trajectory of the firearm. A laser shoots perfectly straight, whereas a bullet starts falling as soon as it leaves the barrel, so at a given distance the bullet could strike inches or even feet away from the laser point unless you're shooting at the exact distance you've calibrated it for. So long/short it appears technical reasons were a major factor in his failure to become a serial killer.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

OMG Scotland

:nms: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-43948081 :nms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

From a different article:

quote:

Until recently, cider could be made with minimum apple content, in some cases as little as 7%. The new order establishes that ciders must have a minimum apple juice content of 35%. But with the majority of the apple content now sourced from eastern Europe, rather than English orchards, achieving the minimum level has been an inexpensive exercise.

So is British "white cider" just malt liquor with a splash of apple? Or is it just water, apple juice, and sugar-based industrial ethanol? Some other article I was reading said something about "white cider" being made from the waste products of brewing, so is it like "pommace" where you just pour water into the leavings you've already made stuff out of, and then make booze out of that like with grappa?