Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

That was the only level I had trouble.
Plus that wasn't what my post was about. It was about the difficulty levels not actually expressing the difficulty. Enough that I was warned about a level and yet did it without even being shot at!

Don't worry, I was just joking. The game just rolls for the real difficulty level and the real difficulty of a mission can randomly range between -1,5 up to +1,5 skulls. So sometimes a 4 skull mission is actually a 2,5, but sometimes a 3,5 skull mission is secretly a 5! This means reloading if the RNG fucks you over extra-hard.

Yeah, it's kind of dumb. Just roll with it until HBS patches this up with the other bizarre poo poo, like the super-fast vehicles or reinforcements immediately dropping at mission start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I really wish there were some weapons in 3025 to bridge the gap between 1t MLasers and 5t LLasers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Saddest Robot posted:

I really wish there were some weapons in 3025 to bridge the gap between 1t MLasers and 5t LLasers.

I miss rotary autocannons and artillery. Also those suicide nuke things. :v:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, gently caress Manticores. Goddamn.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Pulse lasers are right around the corner if they set an expansion in 3030.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Back Hack posted:

Pulse lasers are right around the corner if they set an expansion in 3030.

As if the game needed more ways to poo poo on lights

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Read my original post again because you seem to be confused about it.
I must be because otherwise I agree with you :shrug:

I've always felt that MLs should have been two tons and just keep everything else the same.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Eej posted:

As if the game needed more ways to poo poo on lights

They need they're beta evasion back.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
If you haven't figured it out already (it took me awhile to try it) precision strike works against tanks. Aiming for the turret seems to make very short work out of them instead of hoping you get a lucky AC shot or something.

For some reason i assumed they were just one piece without individual components to target :(

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've actually kinda hated it when the AI has played this game particularly well. I was on a mission where one of my mechs was not allowed to die. Every enemy shot the "essential" mech every turn with the single LRM they were carrying, and as a result it eventually melted and I lost. It felt lovely.

Well, that's my story.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I wish you could carry extra flamer fuel. Those things make for excellent crowd control

The first heavy I found enough parts for was a Grasshopper. I modified it slightly and ended up putting 4 flamers on it. Now I like to jump in close to one mech and fry it while firing off a bunch of lasers and some rockets at a farther target.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I must be because otherwise I agree with you :shrug:

I've always felt that MLs should have been two tons and just keep everything else the same.

That would be a super easy modification to make.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This game needs an ironman mode so people learn that the withdraw button exists instead of just reloading.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So a question: when I think of refitting mechs is, say, MW4, I remember hardpoint size being a major limiting factor, not just the number of points/tonnage. So, for example, an AC-20 was huge and could only reliably fit on a few specific mechs. That doesn't seem to be the case in this game, so now I'm wondering which system was used in the tabletop?

E: Example of what I'm talking about.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 30, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Back Hack posted:

Phone posting but remember the enemy has 2-3 times more lights for you to miss.

Imagine those "Six panthers with lrm support on 1.5 skull :wtc: " missions posted about. Now dealing with that, and pro rng dodge on top :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 30, 2018

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Mordja posted:

So a question: when I think of refitting mechs is, say, MW4, I remember hardpoint size being a major limiting factor, not just numbers. So, for example, an AC-20 was huge and could only reliably fit on a few specific mechs. That doesn't seem to be the case in this game, and now I'm wondering which system was used in the tabletop?

Mechwarrior 2 uses the tabletop system where every section except the head iirc has 12 crit slots. This game is basically the same but with the addition of restricted weapon hardpoints and hiding the slots that are always filled (arm actuators, engine)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Mordja posted:

So a question: when I think of refitting mechs is, say, MW4, I remember hardpoint size being a major limiting factor, not just the number of points/tonnage. So, for example, an AC-20 was huge and could only reliably fit on a few specific mechs. That doesn't seem to be the case in this game, so now I'm wondering which system was used in the tabletop?

Tabletop has weapon sizes still, but hardpoints can take up the entire section, minus any limb joints or actuators or whatever. MW4 has a unique system as far as I'm aware, where hardpoints themselves have maximum sizes (my favourite system overall).

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
What does it mean when I shoot a mech and it says "SRM crit" or whatever? Did that item just explode or is something else happening?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Flavius Belisarius posted:

What does it mean when I shoot a mech and it says "SRM crit" or whatever? Did that item just explode or is something else happening?

First crit is an accuracy penalty, second crit is weapon destruction.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Tabletop has weapon sizes still, but hardpoints can take up the entire section, minus any limb joints or actuators or whatever. MW4 has a unique system as far as I'm aware, where hardpoints themselves have maximum sizes (my favourite system overall).
Ah, OK so it was made up whole-cloth for that game, got it. More limiting, but a good visual indicator of what fits where, I guess.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Christ I hope they release a patch that fixes post-mission crashing. I shouldn't have to be saving before the final round as a "just in case" - if that sort of CYA is necessary it should be baked into the game before it ships.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

wait what,

what is the point of it if not to spam missiles?

The point if the catapult is to always be useful, no matter what environment it's in. With 2 LRM15s, 4 MLs, jump jests and decent armor, it will always be useful, no matter what. It won't necessarily be optimal, just good enough no matter what.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man, I'm really itching to play MW4 Mercs again. How well does it work on Windows 10 with a 360 controller? I haven't owned a stick in years.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

RBA Starblade posted:

Man, I'm really itching to play MW4 Mercs again. How well does it work on Windows 10 with a 360 controller? I haven't owned a stick in years.

MW4 Mercs is really difficult to get working on Windows 10 now, if not impossible for some people. Some nvidia driver update last year essentially broke it and makes it crash on startup. I spent some time trying to find a way around this but none of the suggested fixes worked for me or for several other people posting about it online.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Control Volume posted:

This game needs an ironman mode so people learn that the withdraw button exists instead of just reloading.

I think games like the new XCOM series have broken me regarding that. In this game I've got mechs and high-skill pilots coming out of my ears, but I'd still certainly reload if I lost all four of my starting pilots and their mechs in a bad run.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

John Charity Spring posted:

MW4 Mercs is really difficult to get working on Windows 10 now, if not impossible for some people. Some nvidia driver update last year essentially broke it and makes it crash on startup. I spent some time trying to find a way around this but none of the suggested fixes worked for me or for several other people posting about it online.

Well poo poo. :(

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Back Hack posted:

Remind me to mod in my idea to make Piloting1 also give Bulwark as long as you have evasion pips and see how it plays.

King Keltair
Jul 16, 2001

I'm about 7 hours in (and loving it), just wanted to know if there's a guide or best practices on which abilities to give your mechwarriors. I love gunnery but am never sure which other branch to use or how helpful the other abilities are.

Seems like for Guts, bulwark is great is but not juggernaut, and you want a least one pilot with both Tactics abilities. Not sure if I should be doing piloting abilities at all, but it seems like they wouldn't outperform the other branches?

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
Ugh, game's been running fine (well, not fine, but no crashes) up until today, but now when I try to run it it crashes immediately. Tried restarting Steam, verifying files, and opting into the beta patch, nothing is working :(

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Is there a lore reason why electronic warfare is not a thing in this game, or is all of that going on in the background? You would expect in the year 2400 or whatever that you'd be able to fit countermeasures and counter countermeasures for just about everything on these things.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

King Keltair posted:

I'm about 7 hours in (and loving it), just wanted to know if there's a guide or best practices on which abilities to give your mechwarriors. I love gunnery but am never sure which other branch to use or how helpful the other abilities are.

Seems like for Guts, bulwark is great is but not juggernaut, and you want a least one pilot with both Tactics abilities. Not sure if I should be doing piloting abilities at all, but it seems like they wouldn't outperform the other branches?

I don't think there's full thread consensus yet.

You probably want one scout type, traditionally Dekker, with tactics 1/piloting 2, then at least two brwlers with guts 1 / something else. It's useful to have one squaddie with guns 2 for multishot breaching shot against the a whole enemy squad to wipe evasion and open armor.

If you're conflicted though guts 1/ tactics 2 is a solid choice for almost any character except your scout, the initiative bonus is always good and guts 1 is a very solid defensive boost.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bees everywhere posted:

Is there a lore reason why electronic warfare is not a thing in this game, or is all of that going on in the background? You would expect in the year 2400 or whatever that you'd be able to fit countermeasures and counter countermeasures for just about everything on these things.

It's just not in this specific game, because it's definitely a major factor in other BT videogames, and, I assume, tabletop.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

bees everywhere posted:

Fluff wise it's electronic warfare is constantly active which is why the most reliable way to hit things is the close engagement ranges

Then there's specialized electronic warfare units like the Raven but HBS hasn't decided how to represent them in the game

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I've basically been rolling maximum armour, bulwark skill on everyone, no jump jets, no long-range weapons. If I was going to start from scratch I'd probably race to bulwark on everybody, get the largest mechs possible, and then probably pick up multi-target and breaching shot as my other skills on everyone.

You can pull off some cool stuff with +++ LRMs, but you can pull off some cool stuff with +++ anything, and LRMs seem to have significantly less damage than the other weapon choices.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Here's my suggestion for how to eventually implement Streak SRMs: have them ignore evasion/guarded

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Section Z posted:

Phone posting but remember the enemy has 2-3 times more lights for you to miss.

Imagine those "Six panthers with lrm support on 1.5 skull :wtc: " missions posted about. Now dealing with that, and pro rng dodge on top :v:

I'd fine with that because the solution to that problem is the solution to how I solve all my problems in Battletech; punching the poo poo out of it. :black101:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
One thing I'd reconsider is having hardpoints be total slots, not individual weapons.

That way you could shove SRMs into the C1's missile pods OR 1 LRM 20.

And an earlier suggestion of MGs can go in ballistics and SLs can go in energy.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Multi-target is also really good for the sole reason that you can remove evasion pips from multiple mechs at once. My brawling strategy is to reserve most of my mechs on first contact, and progressively work up from lowest to highest damage potential while tossing a single laser or something at whatever I'm not focusing. On a good engagement I'm usually able to cripple two mechs.

The downside is that if you don't cripple anything, one of your mechs is going to get hosed.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum

Sky Shadowing posted:

One thing I'd reconsider is having hardpoints be total slots, not individual weapons.

That way you could shove SRMs into the C1's missile pods OR 1 LRM 20.

And an earlier suggestion of MGs can go in ballistics and SLs can go in energy.

Then you end up with weird MWO poo poo. Like the K2 is suddenly a premier dual-ballistic platform because it has slots to run a pair of MGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I have stopped trying for called shots on the head. I have the hit location UI on, and I have never seen any of my called shots hit the head, regardless of where I am in relation to the mech. I just go for legs and settle for lower salvage.