Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

drgitlin posted:

What a daft thing to say. How else do you get a race car that’s no longer road-legal to the track?

You simply don't get to enjoy that hobby, that's all. All hobbies other than my hobbies are stupid and wasteful.

Edit: I know the dog tax is just a D&D thing, but it can't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Qwijib0 posted:

"but there's an electrical box here"

"that's what the knockouts are for"

Charging the aquabeam with lightning energy gives double damage against swamp elementals, this is basic magecraft guys

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

wooger posted:

Money is not what people care about, but hobbies like this impact everyone in other ways:

- Having a giant ugly RV on the driveway next to your home.
- The pollution and impact from burning fucktons of fuel for fun.
- Gigantic pickups that don’t fit in parking spots and create chaos gat least in the UK).

None of this is necessary, and is only a thing because gas is taxed so little in the US.
If everyone did the same thing, the whole world would be a shithole.

Nothing to do with Crappy construction, I’ll shut up now.

Yes, this perfectly explains why auto-racing is only a thing in the United States. :rolleyes:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Qwijib0 posted:

"but there's an electrical box here"

"that's what the knockouts are for"

What is that big clump of dirt looking stuff on the wires up at the top? Some sort of insect nest?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Looks like way too much sealant for a top entrance conduit

(Don't do top entrance conduit outdoors)

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

The Locator posted:

What is that big clump of dirt looking stuff on the wires up at the top? Some sort of insect nest?

I'd say wasps. :stonk:

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
There was a photo I think from Sandia labs where they had a padmount transformer, probably something like 4160V to 480V but on the high-voltage connection compartment there was a massive wasps' nest that had almost bridged two of the conductors together.

Also photos like that are why I will, God willing, never do anything involving residential electrical systems.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I went to turn off the breaker to investigate, but I had to turn off TWO breakers to disable the outlet. What. Here's an artist's representation of what I found when I opened it up:

You can run two separate branch circuits to an outlet, you need to remove the yoke that normally connects the hot side of each individual receptacle together. However, you must use a two-pole circuit breaker. You cannot use two separate, individual circuit breakers.

You can have a single neutral wire running back along with the ground. But using the ground as the neutral return... no. Also if there is any break in the "neutral" path, the ground will become LIVE. So if you have something like a metal appliance or a computer plugged in, touching the metal chassis would result in a shock.

For several reasons this is a legitimately dangerous setup.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 29, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Qwijib0 posted:

the condenser goes in the utility room, right?

I showed this to my father, who was an HVAC tech from 1972 until he retired. He wants to murder the guy that installed that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Qwijib0 posted:

I had a loss at a retail store on thr ground floor of a converted rowhome in Philadelphia.

The second-floor rear bedroom (ostensibly used for storage) had a condensor sitting on the floor. When I asked the owner about this, uh, novel code violation, his response was, "welll, we leave the window open!"

The same window through which the burglars entered to steal 27-laptops & a ton of other stuff....which is why I was there.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

all heists require them to crawl in through the vents

but what if: no vents?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tunicate posted:

all heists require them to crawl in through the vents

but what if: no vents?

“Curses, they have a *ductless* system! Foiled again!”

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PainterofCrap posted:

I had a loss at a retail store on thr ground floor of a converted rowhome in Philadelphia.

The second-floor rear bedroom (ostensibly used for storage) had a condensor sitting on the floor. When I asked the owner about this, uh, novel code violation, his response was, "welll, we leave the window open!"

The same window through which the burglars entered to steal 27-laptops & a ton of other stuff....which is why I was there.
What capacity were you there in? Please say "insurance claim assessor" and you just started laughing and walking away.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yup, commercial property adjuster.

There was a risk report filed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

(e: I don't actually think it's crappy but in this instance I would've gone for a hemispherical cup instead of a conical one.)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

(e: I don't actually think it's crappy but in this instance I would've gone for a hemispherical cup instead of a conical one.)

The real crappy part is that tiny rear end TV.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

poemdexter posted:

The real crappy part is that tiny rear end TV.

I feel like your light fixture shouldn't be bigger than your tv.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Enos Cabell posted:

I feel like your light fixture shouldn't be bigger than your tv.

This should be law. Also, I just realized there's an open flame next to the TV.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sooo you dont like ever light some candles around the house? is the tv explosive in some way?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

sneakyfrog posted:

sooo you dont like ever light some candles around the house? is the tv explosive in some way?

Have you seen star trek? Screens are always explosive. Also filled with rocks.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

poemdexter posted:

This should be law. Also, I just realized there's an open flame next to the TV.

Candles are open flames in the technical sense but what do you think can happen in this situation? Looks like there's several inches of separation between the candles and the TV.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Candles are dumb because where does that wax go? Onto the walls. Have you ever had to clean a house after a renter that used candles, even infrequently, moved out? You don't think there's soot until you start moving picture frames.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
buncha joyless weenie non fire likers up in this bitch

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Candles are dumb because where does that wax go? Onto the walls. Have you ever had to clean a house after a renter that used candles, even infrequently, moved out? You don't think there's soot until you start moving picture frames.

This, but also onto your lungs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

sneakyfrog posted:

no grandpa because i have electricity in my hous enow

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:corsair:

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

The Locator posted:

The ground.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

hey i just read a super old report requesting a thread title change and whatever joke it was is probably over by now so it's Thread Title Tuesday, what should it be

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

wait, the answer was 5 posts up all along

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SoundMonkey posted:

wait, the answer was 5 posts up all along

I approve of your choice.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

When you're the renter, it owns,

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

creepy construction tales: buncha joyless weenie non fire likers up in this bitch

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I haven't properly burned anything in decades.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Qwijib0 posted:

This reminds me of a thought I've been bouncing around, are there any systems that (intentionally, and with good engineering principles) dump waste A/C heat into a water heater tank? You've got a large thermal mass that you want to heat up, and large quantities of heat that need to be dissipated; seems like a perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, and reduce your overall power bill. Maybe still have a condenser unit to dump heat outside when the water gets saturated, but is this a thing at all?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jaded Burnout posted:

I haven't properly burned anything in decades.
How's your jading though

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Enourmo posted:

This reminds me of a thought I've been bouncing around, are there any systems that (intentionally, and with good engineering principles) dump waste A/C heat into a water heater tank? You've got a large thermal mass that you want to heat up, and large quantities of heat that need to be dissipated; seems like a perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, and reduce your overall power bill. Maybe still have a condenser unit to dump heat outside when the water gets saturated, but is this a thing at all?

I'm no sciencer but I can't imagine that dropping a few hundred cubic metres of air by 5ºC is going to provide enough energy to raise a couple cubic metres of water by 50ºC and keep it there.

Splicer posted:

How's your jading though

I'm still a little green at it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Enourmo posted:

I have installed these in large facilities like hospitals, but it’s used in chilled water systems, nothing like a home AC system.

It’s supplemental to the main chiller system as the capacity was pretty small on the heat recovery system.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm no sciencer but I can't imagine that dropping a few hundred cubic metres of air by 5ºC is going to provide enough energy to raise a couple cubic metres of water by 50ºC and keep it there.

That’s a big water heater.

Squeeze 5 K out of 600 cubic metres of air and dump it into 150 litres (40 U.S. gallons) of water and the water will get about 5 K hotter.

Four times the air mass, but a quarter the heat capacity per unit mass, roughly.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Given the power expense of the tech, it might not completely heat the water, but make it much more economical seasonally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
While you're at it, take the incoming scheme water and circulate it through your PV before it hits the heater to both prewarm the water and increase the efficiency of your panels.