Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

midge posted:

I'm trying to back up save files (steam edition) and I can't for the life of me find them. I'm searching for 637090 (the games ID) and it's only bringing up the shaderfolder. Anyone got a clue?

\Steam\userdata\<userid?>\637090\remote\C0\SGS1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Dear diary. Today has been a good day in merc life...

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Arrath posted:

\Steam\userdata\<userid?>\637090\remote\C0\SGS1

Yeah, that's what I reading, but the ID just isn't there. Even searching for *sgs* shows nothing.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Worth noting that there were 2 different levels of brokenness:

1. You got double heat sinks for free in your engine, which so far does not happen HBS-Battletech, so that's one massive balance issue fixed already

2. Clan tech was literally just better than IS tech (like you have the exact same thing but the clan version is lighter or does more damage or whatever). This is going to be a trickier one to balance; the scarcity approach doesn't work forever because salvage.

Also from the AMA they're looking at energy weapon balance so hooray (I predict that LLs will still not be good but they might be less mech-destroyingly awful). I hope they do a pass on LRM stability damage too, they could make the clustering a bit tighter in exchange to make LRMs a bit better at hole punching but right now scoring knockdowns with LRMs is so drat easy it's not even fun.

The biggest problem with missiles in single player is that it is just RNG gently caress you to pilots.

There needs to be a damage threshold for injuring the pilot.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Flavahbeast posted:

I haven't played MWO in a long time so I can't remember, how do they balance clan vs IS stuff? or do they
if I recall the basic gist was they took longer to do damage or were harder to focus in a single location.

-Clan missiles Missiles launched as such you had a stream of missiles doing damage instead of the big clusters the IS launchers used.
-Autocannons fired a stream of shells instead of the single slug.
-Clan lasers did more damage but had a longer burn time.
-I don't remember the specifics on the ERPPCs other than that they were incredibly unpopular. I think they were more of a spray of damage rather than the precision shot of the IS PPC?

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Malek Deneith posted:

Dear diary. Today has been a good day in merc life...

2 assaults and likely a thunderbolt? Nice!

Instead of a 3/3 heavy you will probably get a bag of heatsinks and mg ammo

Der Waffle Mous posted:

-I don't remember the specifics on the ERPPCs other than that they were incredibly unpopular. I think they were more of a spray of damage rather than the precision shot of the IS PPC?

ER PPC has no minimum range but generates more heat

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

TheParadigm posted:

I'm going to agree with you here, actually. I like PTN's take on them as wierd randian supermen; but if anything I come at it from the total lore beginner angle.

If there's anything I'd like to see as a second campaign, actually, its a pre-invasion clan campaign.

The kind where the exact quirkyness of clan society is unveiled to the player, the wierd reactions, how the life's all about fighting n winning within their rules and confines. the political shift when the clans realize there's a sphere to conquer and how to go about it - the bickering and infighting and trials that go up to it - and I think that it would work well for HBS-tech format.

I'd like to have the mindset of a clanner sold to me,the framework that makes it make sense and a somewhat cool storyline with it: and then the protagonist's one of the leading forces during the invasion, gets captured, and starts undergoing a journey to becoming more human through changing sides and getting exposed to new ideas and people and cultures.

Basically.. this game has reached an insanely huge audience through being a best seller, and the stage has to be set for the invasion for the new players to really get the reasons behind the actions, and that means a clanner prologue.

On the gameplay side: you have 5-mech stars, but also zellbrigen cuts down target selection, so it would be about the same. Similair format. Fights and trials to get/keep favorite personell or mechs, that sort of stuff, then shifting up to a prep-for-war footing.

The Mechwarrior 2 videogame was just Clan Vs Clan and it was excellent.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Nexus has a few fresh mods playing around with difficulty and the like. Check out the description on this "easier start mod:"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
only 3 instead of 4 king crabs? :mediocre:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

pangstrom posted:

Other than the names of some mechs, the only lore I remember is that Clans sort of bid on military tasks, and lowest bid won / doing more with less was how you got honor. Like name that tune but with "I can win this battle using only XXX tons" or whatever. It's kind of an obvious ploy for balance but still I thought it was cool.

Yeah, this is called "Batchal" (which I believe is short for "Battle Challenge"). The Clans come from a small pocket of space very sparse on resources, so one thing that happened with their silly warrior society is an emphasis was placed on reducing wastage. So when a Clan decides another Clan has what is rightfully theirs, they load up a bunch of poo poo, pay the thing they want a visit and declare "I am Star Colonel SoAndSo, of Clan Whatever. I bring with me XYZ forces, and I declare a trial of possession on your poo poo. With what forces will you defend yourself?" and the defending Clan will dutifully and willingly tell their attackers exactly what they plan to defend their poo poo with (which doesn't even have to be everything they have) and even get to stipulate where the fight will take place (since fighting AT the poo poo being fought over might break something valuable). The attacker, now knowing what it is up against, will then break up into its sub groups and each will start bidding exactly how little combat forces they need to defeat the defenders. Whatever sub group bids the smallest amount gets the honor and glory of performing the attack. If they gently caress up and start losing, they get the option of calling in forces equal to the second lowest bid to help ensure they succeed (at a cost of honor/glory, but better a slightly stained victory than a defeat).

So basically when clans fight eachother, they do so on a battleground where collateral damage isn't a worry, using as little combat material as possible. This all sounds well and good as a way to reduce wastage right?

Wrong, because the Clans are loving stupid and really don't care about wastage so much as they care about stroking their "honor". Attacking a defense with as little as possible really just ensures both sides actually take the theoretically maximum amount of damage possible. If the attacking force really cared about avoiding wastage, they'd attack with everything they have and swiftly overwhelm the opposition instead of a fraction of their forces.

[edit] I rag on the clans a lot, but I actually don't really hate them, I hate stupid munchkin players with clantech. The clans themselves are hilariously stupid idiots, and I find their society fascinating, except for a few problematic things.

That said, I'll never understand the love of the Mad Cat. Its just a Catapult with flimsy noodle arms except now the torso looks like someone cut the nose off a B-29.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 30, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Xae posted:

The biggest problem with missiles in single player is that it is just RNG gently caress you to pilots.

There needs to be a damage threshold for injuring the pilot.

Missiles only have a chance of hitting the head on the first missile.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I was looking through the headshot JSONs, headshot is a base 1% chance from any direction except one: if you attack a 'Mech from above (i.e. when it's laying down) the base is 16%. Doubled with precision strike, then whatever multiplier Called Shot mastery gives.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wrong, because the Clans are loving stupid and really don't care about wastage so much as they care about stroking their "honor". Attacking a defense with as little as possible really just ensures both sides actually take the theoretically maximum amount of damage possible. If the attacking force really cared about avoiding wastage, they'd attack with everything they have and swiftly overwhelm the opposition instead of a fraction of their forces.

It's important to remember that the Clan Homeworlds did in two years what it took two succession wars for the Inner Sphere to accomplish (namely: nuking their population straight to Mad Max times). Ritualized warfare may be stupid but it was a direct reaction to the SLDF being ludicrously good at creating massive amounts of civilian casualties in a very short amount of time.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 30, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PoptartsNinja posted:

It's important to remember that the Clan Homeworlds did in two years what it took two succession wars for the Inner Sphere to accomplish (namely: nuking their population straight to Mad Max times). Ritualized warfare may be stupid but it was a direct reaction to the SLDF being ludicrously good at creating massive amounts of civilian casualties in a very short amount of time.

Ritualized champion challenges are far from the dumbest thing in the Mechwarrior universe.

It disturbs me that I know enough mechwarrior lore to be able to say that. Seriously though, at least there are actual human societies that have functioned in roughly similar ways in the historical past.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

PoptartsNinja posted:

On that note, I was actually on the phone to my dad after getting back from work and ended up mentioning what I had been playing. Given he is also a huge sci-fi nerd (even if he is in his 70s) but not familiar with Battletech I then ended up browsing through the star map finding particularly hosed up planets/systems to talk with him about. He was pretty appreciative of how the Succession Wars and collapse of the Star League had lead to a messed up post quasi apocalypse 80's Space Future.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, this is called "Batchal" (which I believe is short for "Battle Challenge"). The Clans come from a small pocket of space very sparse on resources, so one thing that happened with their silly warrior society is an emphasis was placed on reducing wastage. So when a Clan decides another Clan has what is rightfully theirs, they load up a bunch of poo poo, pay the thing they want a visit and declare "I am Star Colonel SoAndSo, of Clan Whatever. I bring with me XYZ forces, and I declare a trial of possession on your poo poo. With what forces will you defend yourself?" and the defending Clan will dutifully and willingly tell their attackers exactly what they plan to defend their poo poo with (which doesn't even have to be everything they have) and even get to stipulate where the fight will take place (since fighting AT the poo poo being fought over might break something valuable). The attacker, now knowing what it is up against, will then break up into its sub groups and each will start bidding exactly how little combat forces they need to defeat the defenders. Whatever sub group bids the smallest amount gets the honor and glory of performing the attack. If they gently caress up and start losing, they get the option of calling in forces equal to the second lowest bid to help ensure they succeed (at a cost of honor/glory, but better a slightly stained victory than a defeat).

I heard of one from the books or something that came down to a coin toss. The commander who didn't really want to do it called edge with the excuse of "think of the glory if I won."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I just poo poo a billion lasers and missiles at everything I see. I score a hell of a lot more headshots than I receive. On the other hand, I don't yet have big blap-guns that just torch someone in a shot or two, so maybe that's why my death by a thousand pricks method lands more headshots.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Filthy Monkey posted:

Yeah, called shot CT with them is just ridiculous for insta-deleting enemies.

The one 'smaller weapon' I've found to be very effective is the SRM6. The +++ version is very good, with +4 damage and +2 stability damage. 12x6 means 72 damage each.

Here is one of the special project mechs I've been working on.

Four SRM6+++ totals 288 damage, plus a bunch of stability.
Four MLaser++ totals 140 damage.

That means 428 damage on anything within 270m.

Inside 90m and you can add another 80 damage from the small lasers, for a total of 508. Plus it has maxed out jump jets!

Yesss someone did my dumb as balls concept.

I am a big dumb baby and so far I keep stripping the JJs off of all my assault mechs to make them into LRM boats, is this thing actually fast enough to get into close range within a good, reasonable amount of time? Do the SLs ever really get used?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's also funny how everyone loves the Star League. Except those people the Star League sneered at and called barbarian savages. The ones nobody ever talks about because they're not the five successor states.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Bruceski posted:

I heard of one from the books or something that came down to a coin toss. The commander who didn't really want to do it called edge with the excuse of "think of the glory if I won."

Yeah, there was also an Innersphere planet that used a game of American Football as their defense when the clans invaded their world.

The clans played using Elementals (sans power armor, but Elemental warriors are still huge muscleheads without the armor). However, the locals actually impressed they hell out the clans because they managed to score 3 points.

Argas posted:

It's also funny how everyone loves the Star League. Except those people the Star League sneered at and called barbarian savages. The ones nobody ever talks about because they're not the five successor states.

By 3025 the Star League is something of a revisionist, Mythical "better time" that frequently ignores the truth of what it really was. Even some people in the periphery look back at the star league fondly (not Taurians though or anyone in former RWR space).

My unit logo uses the Star League symbol for the "Justice" card somewhat ironically. :v:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 30, 2018

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
In line with the lore chatter, is there a good high-level summary of the history of the Battletech universe out there somewhere that isn’t “spend 100 hours reading the wiki”?

The wiki is interesting and cool, but safaris can only do so much.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kenshin posted:

The further I get in this game the more I am convinced that Sensor Lock should require line of sight to work. It's unfun to play with (it encourages extremely silly kiting) and unfun to play against (it makes extremely silly kiting required)

In single player or MP? In SP it just falls off in use/need crazy fast after you get more than halfway through a game, to the point where I don't think I used it more than once in the last 100 weeks of my campaign.

In MP, I dunno, because I've played all of, like, two total games there :v:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

In single player or MP? In SP it just falls off in use/need crazy fast after you get more than halfway through a game, to the point where I don't think I used it more than once in the last 100 weeks of my campaign.

In MP, I dunno, because I've played all of, like, two total games there :v:

In single-player.

I am trivializing single-player using a sensor scout, LRM boat, and two heavy mechs. Have been since mediums. I can't imagine it'll change all that much moving into assaults, and I never have issues with convoy missions either (I am so confused as to why people complain about them, they are one of the easiest sources of cash in the game)

Sure, there are some missions where you don't really need to do that, but things like Base Capture missions are made into a joke with Sensor Lock as it is.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Argas posted:

I mean the Taurians are rear end in a top hat space libertarians with a chip on their shoulders about the inner sphere but that chip on their shoulders comes from a bunch of their worlds getting nuked into the stone age during the Reunification war by the SLDF.

edit:

2 SPOOKY posted:

In line with the lore chatter, is there a good high-level summary of the history of the Battletech universe out there somewhere that isn’t “spend 100 hours reading the wiki”?

http://www.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/BattleTechUniverseGuide-1.pdf

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 30, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If you don’t cheese the game a lot it’s more fun.

Game is probably boring if you powergame and exploit it to max potential.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I mean the Taurians are rear end in a top hat space libertarians with a chip on their shoulders about the inner sphere but that chip on their shoulders comes from a bunch of their worlds getting nuked into the stone age during the Reunification war by the SLDF.

And then getting marginalized inside the Star League after being forced into it. IIRC there is a good quote by a Taurian Rep at a League Council meeting where he bitches about how since the League murdered his people to force them into the league, he's sure as hell gonna make sure his opinion gets heard and noted.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

2 SPOOKY posted:

There's a decent quick high level summary from Sky Shadowing on the first page of this thread.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kenshin posted:

In single-player.

I am trivializing single-player using a sensor scout, LRM boat, and two heavy mechs. Have been since mediums. I can't imagine it'll change all that much moving into assaults, and I never have issues with convoy missions either (I am so confused as to why people complain about them, they are one of the easiest sources of cash in the game)

Sure, there are some missions where you don't really need to do that, but things like Base Capture missions are made into a joke with Sensor Lock as it is.

At endgame I'd just rather have all 4 mechs shooting vs 3 shooting and one locking I guess.

Also once you don't see 50% or 75% armor mechs any longer then LRM's level of outsized effectiveness falls off a bit and you really do need to bring hole punchers too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gwaihir posted:

it's MWO, so, the answer is "poorly to not at all"

It's taken a long time, but balance is ok these days isn't it? They do a lot more incremental tweaking these days instead of doomed banzai super patches.

Clan weapons do more damage but fire longer, as a general rule, IS ones dump their damage in more of a lump.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

They really need to deal with the difficulty spikes.

Having to fight through a 3 Heavy and 1 Light Lance to kill the Heavy behind them in 8 turns seems a bit asinine for a 1.5 skull mission.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Der Waffle Mous posted:

edit:

http://www.battletech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/BattleTechUniverseGuide-1.pdf

I picked them as my background down to my 3 hours sleep interpretation of wiki skimming being amused by a nation that teaches everyone to read. Just so they can make better "gently caress you fedsuns we will do it with blackjack and hookers" posters.

Also it seems they think thunderbolts are cool so hey bonus to my casual understanding of deep btech.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Allegedly, the High/Low spirits bug is caused by spending skill points in the same game session before the buff runs out.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

At endgame I'd just rather have all 4 mechs shooting vs 3 shooting and one locking I guess.

Also once you don't see 50% or 75% armor mechs any longer then LRM's level of outsized effectiveness falls off a bit and you really do need to bring hole punchers too.

I find that heavy LRM mechs using Precision Shot do remain very useful for deleting vehicles before they get to fire though, or for just using stability to turn enemy mechs into Floor Mechs that can be casually cored out and murdered.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Anyone found a good system to buy stuff from or is it all luck based and campaign driven?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Not really. My LRM boat isn't there to punch holes in things, she's there to keep enemies unsteady and knock them down, as well as take care of turrets and less armored vehicles quickly as needed. And the Sensor Scout only needs to use the sensor at during the first part of each engagement as he's also a nasty finisher on downed mechs.

She's also the reason I've picked up so many neat heavy mechs in the past few missions. (and they were fully armored; it can be harder to capture the shoddy ones because they tend to blow up quickly)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Anyone found a good system to buy stuff from or is it all luck based and campaign driven?

It's pot luck but you can stack the deck a bit by visiting systems with tags like manufacturing, black market, and former Star League presence (although this last one doesn't currently get you access to any lostech like you might hope it would at low chances).

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

midge posted:

Yeah, that's what I reading, but the ID just isn't there. Even searching for *sgs* shows nothing.

Weird -- that folder is definitely there for me.

Unfortunately, unlike all the beautiful JSON game files, the save games are binaries, so I wasn't able to edit out the bugged low spirits from my mechwarriors :(

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, I just did the treasure hunt. That poor taurian scout lance commander. :laffo: Also, I walked away from that with one salvage peice of an Awesome, one salvage piece of a Zeus and the full three pieces of the Battlemaster.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Eej posted:

Longer answer: it's been discussed earlier in this thread but the state of combined arms in the Inner Sphere is kinda dire. Attacking a Jumpship is a war crime because they can't be made anymore. When the Clans invaded they were all ready to get in one some sick naval battles with their armed Jumpships and found out they had no targets due to the IS aversion to risking Jumpships for anything. All the genetically modified ubermensch aerospace pilots who were expecting to reap great honour in glorious space combat were relegated to air support missions.

What DID the Clans think was going on? I know they kidnapped a ComStar exploration jumpship and had Wolfs "5 regiments of new Mech's and where the hell did THEY came from and why didn't the IS kidnap them to find out?" Dragoon's giving intel but they seem to have just walked in without having any care of what was what was waiting for them.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Xae posted:

They really need to deal with the difficulty spikes.

Having to fight through a 3 Heavy and 1 Light Lance to kill the Heavy behind them in 8 turns seems a bit asinine for a 1.5 skull mission.

I think that's very much intentional, and I get the impression it's fairly true to the spirit of the TT versions of the campaign rules (at least as implemented in MekHQ and the like).

:xcom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I think that's very much intentional, and I get the impression it's fairly true to the spirit of the TT versions of the campaign rules (at least as implemented in MekHQ and the like).

:xcom:

Yeah, I watched a promotional play/interview video before buying and the developers were very clear on saying "sometimes, you just need to cut your losses and GTFO."