Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

I think Kyle being Catholic goes back to his original run.

Yes. He was never deeply religious before Omega men, but he's always been firmly catholic, the only real change was changing him from his Irish based heritage to mixed hispanic heritage under the pen of Judd Winnick. And we don't even know if that's still canon anymore, since the last reference towards Kyle's dad has him refer to him as his "Supposed Father". That was before the Nu52 though, and Kyle's backstory since then has been "Uh... things?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Advice: if that kind of thing bugs you, never ever read the Batman / Hulk crossover.

Does it involve a scene of Batman freezing when someone shouts "Bruce" at the Hulk?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Infinity War and the sale on Marvel Unlimited sale got me to resub.

Starting up Hickman's Fantastic Four, and them I'm going to read his Avengers.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are you starting with Dark Reign: Fantastic Four? Just checkin'.

edit: It's worth reading at least some of his Ultimates before Secret Wars, too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Teenage Fansub posted:

Are you starting with Dark Reign: Fantastic Four? Just checkin'.

edit: It's worth reading at least some of his Ultimates before Secret Wars, too.

Yeah, I just finished Dark Reign.

I'm glad to know that the kid in the Spider-Man mask is Franklin Richards.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Just beware: after Fantastic Four #611/FF #23, Hickman leaves, both series get new #1s, and the long winter of Matt Fraction begins.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Autism Sneaks posted:

Just beware: after Fantastic Four #611/FF #23, Hickman leaves, both series get new #1s, and the long winter of Matt Fraction begins.

Matt Fraction FF is awesome and worth a read his fantastic four is not

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on May 1, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Fraction/Allred FF rulez.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

It’s okay and I really liked the ending. But fraction FF was not great

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I liked Fraction FF a lot, though I'll grant that Allred art raises all ships. It certainly wasn't Hickman's run, but that's hard to follow up. The concurrent F4 series was not very good, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What was the terrible issue of She Hulk about?

She Hulk goes crazy and murders a town because half her name is Hulk. Then she lets Bruce take the blame for it.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

She Hulk goes crazy and murders a town because half her name is Hulk. Then she lets Bruce take the blame for it.

It's a cunning legal strategy from her years as a defense attorney.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jedi posted:

It's a cunning legal strategy from her years as a defense attorney.

"Can you, ladies and gentlemen of the jury, say BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT that the green monster that slaughtered thousands was me, and not one of the dozens of others that the fugitive Dr Bruce Banner *coughs* my cousin has created or provoked into creation?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I liked Fraction FF a lot, though I'll grant that Allred art raises all ships. It certainly wasn't Hickman's run, but that's hard to follow up. The concurrent F4 series was not very good, though.

It wasn't great but I really like the way it and FF were essentially telling two sides of one story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/TomBrevoort/status/991410170566717447

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And a ton of people sighed in relief.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Rhyno posted:

And a ton of people sighed in relief.

Followed by DC fans everywhere screaming in terror....

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
And stay out

OF LIFE, BITCH

RIP Brian Bendis

Died of Never Writing a Good Comic and Being a Piece of poo poo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How was his story in Action Comics #1000? I haven't read it. I know this isn't the DC thread but I'd be happy with one-word answers. Bad? Good? Mixed?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

How was his story in Action Comics #1000? I haven't read it. I know this isn't the DC thread but I'd be happy with one-word answers. Bad? Good? Mixed?

Mediocre. Tbf it was only one part of a story, it could pick up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Weighed down by Jim Lee's art. And I say that as a fan of both guys.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It was a 12 page action scene where Superman was unconscious for most of it.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Bendis surely wrote his share of baggy, meandering stories at Marvel, but I feel like he left on a pretty high note. I feel like I'm in the minority in really enjoying the later Miles Morales stuff as just a low-key character study, but I thought there was a general consensus that his Defenders and Jessica Jones were solidly told, pulpy, briskly paced stories, and that his paired Iron Man books were unevenly paced but a ton of fun when they worked. Which is more than could be said of almost anyone else juggling 5+ series, I'd hazard!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I was gonna say despite everything I'd still miss him but then you fuckers reminded me he changed Robbie Reynolds' origin from "kid drinks super-science-serum!" to "the biblical angel of death whose grim lash scoured ancient Egypt possesses the tormented body of a schizophrenic drug-abuser and wife-beater who indulges in manic escapist power fantasies."

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Oh yeah.. I totally forgot that ultimate uncle ben was a long-haired hippie

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Nilbop posted:

I was gonna say despite everything I'd still miss him but then you fuckers reminded me he changed Robbie Reynolds' origin from "kid drinks super-science-serum!" to "the biblical angel of death whose grim lash scoured ancient Egypt possesses the tormented body of a schizophrenic drug-abuser and wife-beater who indulges in manic escapist power fantasies."

I mean the angel of death stuff was silly but most of what you're describing is in, like, the very first story the character ever appeared in, which wasn't even by Bendis.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archyduke posted:

Bendis surely wrote his share of baggy, meandering stories at Marvel, but I feel like he left on a pretty high note. I feel like I'm in the minority in really enjoying the later Miles Morales stuff as just a low-key character study, but I thought there was a general consensus that his Defenders and Jessica Jones were solidly told, pulpy, briskly paced stories, and that his paired Iron Man books were unevenly paced but a ton of fun when they worked. Which is more than could be said of almost anyone else juggling 5+ series, I'd hazard!

Defenders and Jessica Jones were two of my favorite books when they were coming out and I'll miss them a ton. Don't @ me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Archyduke posted:

I mean the angel of death stuff was silly but most of what you're describing is in, like, the very first story the character ever appeared in, which wasn't even by Bendis.

The Best origin for the Sentry is his origin from the Ages of the Sentry mini series. That he's a Cosmic being who is constantly re-writing history to let himself exist in the 616 universe.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Endless Mike posted:

Defenders and Jessica Jones were two of my favorite books when they were coming out and I'll miss them a ton. Don't @ me.
:same:
The fight between Jessica, Iron Fist and Diamondback in issue 4 of Defenders is one of my favorite action set pieces of the past year.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

SilverSupernova posted:

Does it involve a scene of Batman freezing when someone shouts "Bruce" at the Hulk?

THE POWERFUL KICK IS PAINFULLY DRIVEN INTO THE HULK

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

howe_sam posted:

:same:
The fight between Jessica, Iron Fist and Diamondback in issue 4 of Defenders is one of my favorite action set pieces of the past year.
Yeah I posted a bit of that in the Badass Panels thread

Endless Mike posted:

Defenders #4

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

https://twitter.com/amandartubbs/status/991440568810024960?s=21

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Now that Bendis is gone, Luke Cage is going to fade into the background again. :(

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Bendis was okay and doing solo books, but his avengers run was god awful. The man cannot write a team book to save his life.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaunab posted:

Now that Bendis is gone, Luke Cage is going to fade into the background again. :(

Ewing and whoever was writing Power Man and Iron Fist did good jobs with him I thought.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Archyduke posted:

Yeah, can't see this as something to celebrate. I really liked a lot of Bendis stuff over the years. Sure, some of his ticks and devices wore pretty thin, but even towards the end he still delivered some fun stories. Maybe he brings me to read more than New Superman over at DC now...

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kelly Thompson is my hero
https://twitter.com/79SemiFinalist/status/991702991014002689

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hahah Kate Beatons responses to this are fantastic

https://twitter.com/beatonna/status/991719902229786629

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Monaghan posted:

Bendis was okay and doing solo books, but his avengers run was god awful. The man cannot write a team book to save his life.

Alternatively his New Avengers run (up through Siege) was good to very good, and his Daredevil and USM runs were far better than ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Infinity countdown: so do you think the "everything is a simulation" will play into fantastic four, or will it never be spoken of outside this event

• Locked thread