Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Platystemon posted:

That’s a big water heater.

Squeeze 5 K out of 600 cubic metres of air and dump it into 150 litres (40 U.S. gallons) of water and the water will get about 5 K hotter.

Four times the air mass, but a quarter the heat capacity per unit mass, roughly.

My estimates are bad. But it sounds like it's roughly equivalent, then, in terms of temp down in the air and temp up in the water? So yeah kinda useless for meaningfully heating water.

I've never lived anywhere for a long time that needed lots of air con, but do heat exchangers make much sense in this situation? They're being touted here as sort of useful for underfloor heating which operates at a lower temperature than regular radiators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

There are lots of waste heat recovery methods in commercial and especially industrial applications, and it can be used for stuff like pre-heating boiler water or fuel oil. Large multi-tenant facilities might be doing some of that stuff but you just don't get enough out of the extra effort, complexity, and expense in low density residential from most waste heat. Solar panel cooling, which is very much not my area, apparently is an opportunity of some promise, though.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jaded Burnout posted:

My estimates are bad. But it sounds like it's roughly equivalent, then, in terms of temp down in the air and temp up in the water? So yeah kinda useless for meaningfully heating water.

I've never lived anywhere for a long time that needed lots of air con, but do heat exchangers make much sense in this situation? They're being touted here as sort of useful for underfloor heating which operates at a lower temperature than regular radiators.

Yes, I often want to heat my home while I'm running air-con.

These systems can work, and can potentially reduce bills a little bit, but unless you live in some extreme area that makes it suitable and beneficial, OR, have a commercial/industrial level of heat, it's just not going to pay for itself inside it's lifetime, and will make things more complicated.

Comparable things:
Heatpumps are worth it if you live somewhere really cold, but otherwise not really.
Geothermal is magic in Iceland, less so almost everywhere else, where it's less near the surface and not practical/economical to get to.

My neighbours (UK) have both solar panels & direct solar water heating equipment on their roof.
I'm suspicious that either make any difference to their bills given our weather, and the fact that they're older & easily duped (they paid $$$ money to have the outside of their brick/cinder block house sprayed with a waterproofing product, for no obvious reason).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

wooger posted:

Yes, I often want to heat my home while I'm running air-con.

Yeah as you can tell the entire idea of air con as anything but a luxury is anathema to me, my world is centered around heating.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
in FL that's pretty much reversed

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

sneakyfrog posted:

sooo you dont like ever light some candles around the house? is the tv explosive in some way?

I light candles around the house but they are tiny candles not full candlesticks and I certainly don't put it less than a foot away from a TV. I'd worry that the heat would do something bad over time.

Also yes, all TVs are explosive in some way. Checkmate.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

When someone said "put the fire on the TV" they meant one of those stupid christmas screensavers.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

poemdexter posted:

I light candles around the house but they are tiny candles not full candlesticks and I certainly don't put it less than a foot away from a TV. I'd worry that the heat would do something bad over time.

Also yes, all TVs are explosive in some way. Checkmate.

weenie.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I once foolishly melted a bit of our old tv by leaving a tea light candle underneath it on the mantle. :(

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

drgitlin posted:

I once foolishly melted a bit of our old tv by leaving a tea light candle underneath it on the mantle. :(

At least it didn't explode and level half your neighborhood.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

poemdexter posted:

At least it didn't explode and level half your neighborhood.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

:eyepop:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Enourmo posted:

This reminds me of a thought I've been bouncing around, are there any systems that (intentionally, and with good engineering principles) dump waste A/C heat into a water heater tank? You've got a large thermal mass that you want to heat up, and large quantities of heat that need to be dissipated; seems like a perfect opportunity to kill two birds with one stone, and reduce your overall power bill. Maybe still have a condenser unit to dump heat outside when the water gets saturated, but is this a thing at all?
They make heat pump hot water heaters, which basically have their own integrated air conditioner that works as you described. Some of these models can be ducted into your HVAC system, which would allow your AC to run less. Heat pump water heaters started off kind of meh (efficiency not as good as promised, slow heating) but are a lot better these days.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

I feel like your light fixture shouldn't be bigger than your tv.

It looked smaller in the box (it's a kit):

poemdexter posted:

Also, I just realized there's an open flame next to the TV.

poemdexter posted:

Whenever you think you knew just how detached from reality goons were, this sort of post happens.

Also how in the gently caress is the size of the candle in any way related to the intensity of heat it puts out?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bro, I just got in a 1200W candle grill for summer, bro, KEROSENE wax, it's gonna get lit

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

Bro, I just got in a 1200W candle grill for summer, bro, KEROSENE wax, it's gonna get lit

Never tried to cook anything with candles (I suppose if you put them close enough under a metal vessel it would work?) but they're great for keeping your glögi hot.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Jerry Cotton posted:

Whenever you think you knew just how detached from reality goons were, this sort of post happens.

Also how in the gently caress is the size of the candle in any way related to the intensity of heat it puts out?

:goonsay:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah candles are for nerds :mmmhmm:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Whenever I see someone with a lit candelabra perched on a piece of furniture, I say to myself 'well, this guy doesn't own a cat'.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Ashcans posted:

Whenever I see someone with a lit candelabra perched on a piece of furniture, I say to myself 'well, this guy doesn't own a cat'.

they learn pretty quick not to light themselves on fire, we have 3, only one has been that much of a dipshit and even then just singed off half his whiskers

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And it's crazy how modern materials burn, despite all their "flame retardant" properties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPhq5ggoE

tl;dw: Old poo poo catches fire more easily, but takes a lot longer to burn. Modern stuff may take a bit to catch, but burns way more quickly and will kill the gently caress out of you.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

It looked smaller in the box (it's a kit):

I dunno, how is the size of the flame in any way related to the intensity of heat it puts out? Maybe, because the wicks are different sizes therefore the size of the flame is bigger on a regular candlestick compared to some candle in a jar from bed bath and beyond or a tea light sitting in a cup on a restaurant table. But what do I know, I'm just some goon from the internet completely detached from reality. I just thought it was dumb to put an open flame next to a TV, but you do you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Candlesticks don't have wicks. Candlesticks have candles stuck on them.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

candles suck, dont put fire in your house as decoration lol.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I happen to be a fire liker and want to put a fire pit in my back yard. Nothing fancy, one of the Menard’s kits is good enough. Any tips besides make sure everything is level?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
some folks dont like to have computer monitors be the only source of ambient lighting in our basement gooncaves.

:colbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

devmd01 posted:

I happen to be a fire liker and want to put a fire pit in my back yard. Nothing fancy, one of the Menard’s kits is good enough. Any tips besides make sure everything is level?

dont use concrete blocks, use firebricks. concrete block tends to explode.

fire pits are rad

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

sneakyfrog posted:

some folks dont like to have computer monitors be the only source of ambient lighting in our basement gooncaves.

:colbert:

That's when you go to goodwill and pick up some shadeless lamp bases for literally a dollar and put them behind things like the TV, for some classy as gently caress ambient lighting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My wife absolutely loves tea lights and we go through so many...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's when you go to goodwill and pick up some shadeless lamp bases for literally a dollar and put them behind things like the TV, for some classy as gently caress ambient lighting.

the first time i got married i had to throw away all that poor college student trash and actually buy lamps and stuff.

jeez. i did not realize how apropos the new thread title is. flame retarded weenies in here.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Honestly though candles are terrible. Fire is cool and good, just not in a home :(

I only made my post because it's what I did a few weeks ago after moving. lovely 70's apartment, no built-in lighting. I didn't own enough lamps and stuff, and I have a personal life goal of never owing a floor-standing bowl lamp again. You know the ones - 6 foot pole with a frosted white bowl on top and a weighted base. I've had one in every lovely place I've been and I hate them. Discovered that I could put a small lamp behind the TV to get some good ambiance (and make watching TV less strain on my eyes), and took the concept from there.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Honestly though candles are terrible. Fire is cool and good, just not in a home :(

I only made my post because it's what I did a few weeks ago after moving. lovely 70's apartment, no built-in lighting. I didn't own enough lamps and stuff, and I have a personal life goal of never owing a floor-standing bowl lamp again. You know the ones - 6 foot pole with a frosted white bowl on top and a weighted base. I've had one in every lovely place I've been and I hate them. Discovered that I could put a small lamp behind the TV to get some good ambiance (and make watching TV less strain on my eyes), and took the concept from there.

if you dont have cats those japanese style paper floor lamps are good for diffused light as well.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sneakyfrog posted:

if you dont have cats those japanese style paper floor lamps are good for diffused light as well.

Everyone should have cats :catbert:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Iron Crowned posted:

Everyone should have cats :catbert:

and dogs.

and open flames in your house

cant get into valhalla if you are skeered of a yankee candle ffs.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Instead of light bulbs, I have angle grinders throwing steel sparks around. It's the perfect ambiance.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Instead of light bulbs, I have angle grinders throwing steel sparks around. It's the perfect ambiance.

:black101:

nice

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

I rent a 150-year-old log cabin every year and the owners encourage use of the fireplace but are real persnickety about lighting candles anywhere lest the building burns down. And then also have a gas oven? I bring scented candles and just keep an eye on them. The firepit outside is on a huge rock that’s over twenty feet across so there are no warnings about that. Fire is good if you’re not an idiot.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jerry Cotton posted:

Candlesticks don't have wicks. Candlesticks have candles stuck on them.

You win this time Jerry Cotton. But next time...

next time...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Fire is cool and good, just not in a home :(

The home is the best place for fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Metaline posted:

I rent a 150-year-old log cabin every year and the owners encourage use of the fireplace but are real persnickety about lighting candles anywhere lest the building burns down. And then also have a gas oven? I bring scented candles and just keep an eye on them. The firepit outside is on a huge rock that’s over twenty feet across so there are no warnings about that. Fire is good if you’re not an idiot.

there's your catch, people are dumb as poo poo and will burn their house down because they wanted ~vanilla scent~