Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

there’s a gag in a new episode of curb where larry’s driving ted danson’s new tesla and gets a ticket for aggressively beeping a cop. later in the episode ted danson gets beat up for a likewise aggressive beep in his tesla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
wish fuckedcompany was still around

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/1/17306410/smart-luggage-ban-bluesmart-shutdown-refunds

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Endless Mike posted:

sit at a green light reading your phone? woo! start impinging on my lane because you don't loving know how to drive? brake and woo!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
facebook just keeps on giving

https://gizmodo.com/facebook-investigating-claim-that-employee-used-privile-1825666305

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

“After exploring all the possible options for pivoting and moving forward, the company was finally forced to wind down its operations and explore disposition options, unable to continue operating as an independent entity,”

"explore disposition options"

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

the coolest beep guy is "leans on the horn in gridlock" since he's at least trying to address the problem even though he's at the tail end of a clearly visible half mile of unmoving cars

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

the coolest beep guy is "leans on the horn in gridlock" since he's at least trying to address the problem even though he's at the tail end of a clearly visible half mile of unmoving cars

the irl equivalent of replying to the mass email asking why theyre copied

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

has anyone ever jammed an analog synthesizer and other associated bleep-bloop machines into their car and hooked that up to the horn?

someone should do that. make your horn sound like a cybernetic demon train seeking revenge for someone taking too long when the light changes.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I basically want my horn to sound like the horns in the game brigador

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
my horn plays dixie while i'm jumping the broken bridge (which one? heyooooooo) across the river to avoid traffic

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

SO DEMANDING posted:

I basically want my horn to sound like the horns in the musical brigadoon

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

SO DEMANDING posted:

has anyone ever jammed an analog synthesizer and other associated bleep-bloop machines into their car and hooked that up to the horn?

someone should do that. make your horn sound like a cybernetic demon train seeking revenge for someone taking too long when the light changes.

i bought some cheap rear end airhorns from farm n' fleet for my 1980 cutlass back in high school. all of my friends thought it was funny.

that's my alt-horn story thanks for reading.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

I know there are all sorts of novelty horns out there I just have this mental image of a synthesizer patch panel and tiny keyboard jammed into the center console and I really like that idea a whole lot

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
it'd be cool to do that only wired up to a phone dialer

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

I also have the longest blast time

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

oh hey looks like the California Supreme Court just hosed Uber (and all other 1099-exploiting "tech" companies)

quote:

Under that test, the worker is considered an employee if he or she performs a job that is part of the “usual course” of the company’s business.

By way of an example, the court said a plumber hired by a store to fix a bathroom leak would not reasonably be considered an employee of that store. But seamstresses sewing at home using materials provided by a clothing manufacturer would probably be considered employees.

In addition, a company must show that it does not control and direct the worker, and that the worker is truly an independent business operator, not just classified that way unilaterally.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

gently caress yeah!

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Can’t wait for the bipartisan Personal Freedom and Dignity of Work Small Business Natural Rights Patriot Freedom Act of 2019 codifying a permanent subclass of non-employees

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

Can’t wait for the bipartisan Personal Freedom and Dignity of Work Small Business Natural Rights Patriot Freedom Act of 2019 codifying a permanent subclass of non-employees

nah, in a 5-4 decision, SCOTUS will strike it down saying it's freedom of speech to work for sub-minimum wages and no benefits

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Endless Mike posted:

nah, in a 5-4 decision, SCOTUS will strike it down saying it's freedom of speech to work for sub-minimum wages and no benefits

not necessarily. i haven't looked at the decision itself, but depending on whether it's decided entirely on california law or not, it might not be reviewable at all by the scotus.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

not necessarily. i haven't looked at the decision itself, but depending on whether it's decided entirely on california law or not, it might not be reviewable at all by the scotus.
i'll admit i'm not terribly familiar with how this works, but in scanning through the decision, the first thing they mention is both ca and fed law, and they mention multiple cases from outside ca (but many within), so idk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only way scotus would probably get involved is if there was a conflicting federal law.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Endless Mike posted:

i'll admit i'm not terribly familiar with how this works, but in scanning through the decision, the first thing they mention is both ca and fed law, and they mention multiple cases from outside ca (but many within), so idk

sourcing from outside law for precedence isn’t the same as whether a case rests on federal law or not. if they were interpreting a california statute that doesn’t conflict with or is not superseded by any federal law then there is no further appellate review.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
considering pretty much every fortune 500 abuses the hell out of contracting, and Uber is just an extra visible one, I won’t be surprised if there are strong challenges

or other companies will just silently break the law like they’ve more or less been doing for decades because they’ll never face consequences

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

a friend of mine's brother had some of those fuckin' train horns in his truck like that and was also a total rear end in a top hat so once when we were hanging around he's like "hey check this out, under there" and pointed at something under something else in the truck and i leaned down to get a look and he blasted the fuckers when my head was inches away from them :argh:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

jesus. anyone who spends $1800 on loving horns deserves to have their money taken.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

jesus. anyone who spends $1800 on loving horns deserves to have their money taken.
they would have just spent it on chrome skull accessories instead

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

President Beep posted:

and you call yourself president beep

our beeps are in terrible shape, terrible shape. $80 billion dollars toward brand new horns. support are beeps!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

FMguru posted:

they would have just spent it on chrome skull accessories instead

You underestimate the cost of a finely-molded set of truck nutz, frendo.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
If you actually buy a replacement horn and it doesn’t go ahhOOOGa then smdh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
OLD CARS GO AROOGA is a p good username

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Roosevelt posted:

and you call yourself president beep

our beeps are in terrible shape, terrible shape. $80 billion dollars toward brand new horns. support are beeps!

oh my god.

i'm living a lie...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

lancemantis posted:

considering pretty much every fortune 500 abuses the hell out of contracting, and Uber is just an extra visible one, I won’t be surprised if there are strong challenges

or other companies will just silently break the law like they’ve more or less been doing for decades because they’ll never face consequences

it will be the latter because the article points out a bunch of other states already use the same test. companies will also have to weigh the risk of the appeals court or even the SC going "yep, this is indeed the test for determining employment". that's a real risk because the test is much simpler to implement than the current one and that makes it appealing to the SC Justices who don't want to have to deal with complex fights over every drat nuance of the 10 factor test.

the ruling is mainly a problem for companies which use contractors for their primary workforce.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shifty Pony posted:

the ruling is mainly a problem for companies which use contractors for their primary workforce.

isn't this also every single employment/staffing agency?

afaik that's how they operate up here

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

OLD CARS GO AROOGA is a p good username

lol

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

isn't this also every single employment/staffing agency?

afaik that's how they operate up here

it's basically infosys and the likes entire business model

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I was a "contractor" for ea and msft and both times i was W2'd by either Volt or PRO Unlimited. But I was W2 with health benefits and OT and all that jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

aw man

the awesome lady who makes those lovely robots has a brain tumor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpa4kp4lK60

hopefully it's something they can fix. gently caress this, the worst of every possible timeline

That's legitimately sad :(