Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Randler posted:

I'm not sure I fully understand the difficulty increase from story missions.

I started a new campaign and got the Argo. Is it correct that now even the baby systems like Detroit only offer me 2 skull minimum missions (that usually travel contract me to higher difficulty systems)?

Yes, but... Detroit and all the starter systems have a global -difficulty mod, so no matter what general difficulty you are at, the contract there will always be the easiest available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

My ehonor demands that all my foes must die, costs be damned! :black101:

In reality, though, it really comes down to position and what you bring. Is there a running shitter? Fast unit spots, LRM or sniper blaps. Outnumbered? Hang back, let them wander in, blap.

I just went through a battle that I completely and systematically smoked through. After I made contact, each turn a hostile wandered by itself into my killbox. Each hostile got hit with: LRM45 Wolverine to unsteady, ancestral dual AC5 Blackjack to knock down, and either the disco Vindicator or Quickdraw would core them that turn.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Great Beer posted:

All these posts about the AC10 being suboptimal are correct. However its worth noting the AC10 does 65 damage and a mechs head has 45+16 hp, which means they're head choppers like the ac20.

E; it's also the one of the highest stability damage in the game, tied with PPC. Knockdowns are amazing and shouldn't be discounted.

A stock AC10 won't kill a head, but the + or ++ versions with the extra 5/10 damage sure will!

Stock ones are 60 damage not 65.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wooooooow Grave Robbing. I think I hate everything about this mission.

The opening to the next mission will always be hilarious to me.

"Surrender now Lady Ara- Oh poo poo they are piloting SLDF mechs we need reinforcements!"

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Wallet posted:

Someone wrote way earlier in the thread that kickstarter pilots can't permanently die (like the player character); can anyone confirm that's the case?

They can die, lost one to a DFA that crushed the head of his mech. Really pissed me off too because it was one of those 2-skull milk runs that turned out to have 2 lances of mediums & heavies and I had just about whittled the enemy down to the last two when one of them pulled that poo poo on me :argh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

IAmThatIs posted:

I just got a cheevo for killing a mech with an urbie DFA :allears:

GOTY

there's so many Urbie cheevos and yet so few urbies for sale

... I think I'm going to have to edit a shop .json

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Is there a best planet to buy mechs at? Can't seem to source them well....

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

RBA Starblade posted:

If anyone still has their discs and wants to Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries is pretty easy to set up actually. Install wherever, delete imagehlp.dll out of Assets/Binaries, add /gosnovideo to the target, run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and as administrator, done. It even works with my 360 controller! Not nearly as cool without the old joysticks though.

I was wrestling with MW4 Mercs a week ago and I couldn't get it to work with my 360 controller =/

The right joystick didn't do anything so I couldn't torso twist, and despite my hands being off the triggers, my mech still walked forward at 10% throttle. The game also wouldn't save my graphics options, so it kept playing at lowest settings. I couldn't find anything to fix any of this so I got frustrated and gave up. On top of all that, there's no way to calibrate the joystick deadzones on my controller, so it was hard enough just walking in a straight line.

I agree, I just don't expect it would be the same without my old joystick.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

A stock AC10 won't kill a head, but the + or ++ versions with the extra 5/10 damage sure will!

Stock ones are 60 damage not 65.

Ah. That weapon table posted earlier is wrong then. Still, killing a damaged head or putting it one hit from death is good too.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Ugh. "We gotta kill all the enemies around this building in four turns or they'll blow the building up!"

*enemies all dig in in cover*

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Ah. That weapon table posted earlier is wrong then. Still, killing a damaged head or putting it one hit from death is good too.

Yeah they seem to have been nerfed in the Beta at some point and the table's not up to date yet.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I'm enjoying the hell out of the game, I just want to get an Assault. All my assassinations turn out to be some jerk in an assault class vehicle. Give me a zeus at least, come on!

McGibby
Jan 27, 2009

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
aaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Sorry if I have just missed this but is their list of some builds for various mechs floating around. Googling was failing me hard thanks Battletech having like a million different games.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The prison liberation mission is turning out to be a goddamn nightmare: First that stupid NPC walks in right into the middle of the opposition, ruining the ambush I had set up in the process, and then when we rush in all enemy mechs focus fire Glitch down from pristine to dead in a single turn.

The dumbest thing is, I can't even get enough time to eject here, thanks to one dumb mech coming in the turn order before her. Kind of funny that I only now notice how useless the eject button is: Every time you want to use it to safe a pilot, you can't, because like a zillion enemy mechs are allowed to fire first. :argh:

Right now I'm constantly reloading to save Glitch, because I both absolutely refuse to restart this mission and to lose Glitch.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Aramoro posted:

If you're a turbo-nerd like me then this is the table you need.

from here

https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/8evjzz/weapon_stats_and_observations/

You can see the AC10 is slightly below the curve on Damage Per Ton. It really needs to be 1 ton lighter. Assuming this table is accurate.

You can also see from this table why LRM's are totally bent. The PPC has a lower range for less damage and more heat than an LRM15.

Well that settles it, I'm modding my game to drop the tonnage of the AC 10 by 1 ton. Right now I'm using AC5 or AC20, ignoring all the others.

It's kind of a shame they didn't add a 4 ton Autocannon (Light AC5), table top really benefits from it, Especially if you are playing 3025 era. but I'm sure the grogs would lose their mind about fake timelines being ignored.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
What is the .json to change the number of parts needed to reconstruct mech?

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Libluini posted:

The prison liberation mission is turning out to be a goddamn nightmare: First that stupid NPC walks in right into the middle of the opposition, ruining the ambush I had set up in the process, and then when we rush in all enemy mechs focus fire Glitch down from pristine to dead in a single turn.

The dumbest thing is, I can't even get enough time to eject here, thanks to one dumb mech coming in the turn order before her. Kind of funny that I only now notice how useless the eject button is: Every time you want to use it to safe a pilot, you can't, because like a zillion enemy mechs are allowed to fire first. :argh:

Right now I'm constantly reloading to save Glitch, because I both absolutely refuse to restart this mission and to lose Glitch.

Plan your attack better, and don't rush in. The NPC may ruin the Ambush, but the enemy AI will start firing on your quickly and ignore the NPC you need to protect.

Use the initiative system to Focus Fire on one of their mechs, while making sure your mechs are only giving LOS to the mech you are focus firing.

You should be going into this fight with near pristine armor because you can pop the turret generators and enemy vehicles from range.

I made these for MWO back in the day, but most of the same concepts apply:

https://imgur.com/a/3Pbzq

Basically do this, always:

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 1, 2018

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Eldragon posted:

I remember this! How is MWO these days, anyway?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Eldragon posted:

The NPC may ruin the Ambush, but the enemy AI will start firing on your quickly and ignore the NPC you need to protect.

Thanks, I know all of this already, but I didn't expect the enemy AI to be too stupid to ignore the NPC. I've restarted and plan to ignore Lady Kamino's death rush now.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

BurntCornMuffin posted:

I have not played in 2 years or so. Back then it was: Clan tech sucks, PGI selling iWin mechs for money then nerfing them when they go free sucks, ghost heat sucks, gauss rifle delay sucks, sniper fights sucks, dropping with pubbies sucks.

Libluini posted:

Thanks, I know all of this already, but I didn't expect the enemy AI to be too stupid to ignore the NPC. I've restarted and plan to ignore Lady Kamino's death rush now.

When I played that Kamino stole most of the mech kills because I would core out their rear armor during my attack, then they turn to fight me and Kamino finishes them off. Just don't wait so long they have time to kill her; the missions is scripted so do as the image above implies: get all your guys near the prison gate then charge in as a group.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 1, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Eldragon posted:

Well that settles it, I'm modding my game to drop the tonnage of the AC 10 by 1 ton. Right now I'm using AC5 or AC20, ignoring all the others.

It's kind of a shame they didn't add a 4 ton Autocannon (Light AC5), table top really benefits from it, Especially if you are playing 3025 era. but I'm sure the grogs would lose their mind about fake timelines being ignored.

For anyone starting fresh campaigns I'd definitely suggest the following:

Even out the SRM/LRM lines tonnage/heat wise so that there's not the usual weird kink that makes LRM10s bad, and SRM6es produce heat out of scale with the previous two
Lower Large Laser heat to 20
Lower PPC heat to 30
Give Ballistic weapons 1t or .5t built in ammo (ala PTN's upcoming post timeskip weapon rebalance): "StartingAmmoCapacity" : 8, is the line you want to change for each weapon.
Optionally also drop 1t from AC5s, 2t from AC10s. Leave AC20s alone.
Either create a new Light AC2 (effort) , or just plain drop the tonnage on the existing AC2 to 2-3t. If you drop it to 2t and add 1t built in ammo I'd also reduce the base damage by 5, as well as the range.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 1, 2018

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

For anyone starting fresh campaigns I'd definitely suggest the following:

Even out the SRM/LRM lines tonnage/heat wise so that there's not the usual weird kink that makes LRM10s bad, and SRM6es produce heat out of scale with the previous two
Lower Large Laser heat to 20
Lower PPC heat to 30
Give Ballistic weapons 1t or .5t built in ammo (ala PTN's upcoming post timeskip weapon rebalance): "StartingAmmoCapacity" : 8, is the line you want to change for each weapon.
Either create a new Light AC2 (effort) , or just plain drop the tonnage on the existing AC2 to 2-3t. If you drop it to 2t and add 1t built in ammo I'd also reduce the base damage by 5, as well as the range.

So far I have not found LL vs PPC to be totally out of whack, similar with the SRM6. I still use them. With the AC10 I just can't find a use for them, ever. 1 Ton lighter and 1 ton ammo? Totally.

Although I think I will just make a Light AC5 / Light AC2 with reduced ranges so I can crap some ballistic badassery into lighter mechs.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Is there a mod to remove head hits? I'm pretty sick of having 1/2 - 1/3 of my pilots in the med bay constantly even when running easy missions. It's absurd.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Unzip and Attack posted:

Is there a mod to remove head hits? I'm pretty sick of having 1/2 - 1/3 of my pilots in the med bay constantly even when running easy missions. It's absurd.

I don't know if the hit table supports fractional percentages, but you could set it to 0 entirely I guess. That would be very no fun since you would be also unable to get any head hits but if that's what makes you happy then go for it.

e:

I thiiink if you are getting hit by indirect LRMs, or an enemy is above you, the game uses a hit from above table. Or maybe it's just for DFAs. I don't know. Regardless, you could just change this portion of CombatGameConstants:
code:
"HitMechLocationFromTop": 
		[
            {
                "k": "Head",
                "v": 16
            },
            {
                "k": "CenterTorso",
                "v": 32
            },
            {
                "k": "LeftTorso",
            },
            {
                "k": "RightTorso",
            },
            {
                "k": "LeftArm",
                "v": 8
            },
            {
                "k": "RightArm",
            },
            {
                "k": "CenterTorsoRear",
            },
            {
                "k": "LeftTorsoRear",
                "v": 4
            },
            {
                "k": "RightTorsoRear",
                "v": 4
            }
        ],
Swap the 16 by head to a 1 or something.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 1, 2018

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I've already liberated Panzyr but want some pointers on where to look for missions (or what kind of missions) to find some more heavies. I've got a bunch of parts of some individual heavies but have kind of hit a point where 2.5 skull missions only toss me a Shadow Hawk/Griffin/Wolverine and 3 skull missions seem to just be almost entire companies of lights only. I have a Black Knight, but it feels quite under armored without completely redoing the weapons.

Should I just try to push through more of the story? Likewise, what are some build suggestions for the Wolverine or Griffin?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Unzip and Attack posted:

Buy more pilots, fire them when you start finding the cockpit mods that give your pilot armor.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I didn't really find any reliably until after the Smithon ammo dump mission. I'd just do that one and then fart around doing contracts.

Otherwise, just look for assassinations, and fly around to higher skull planets.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Eldragon posted:

Plan your attack better, and don't rush in. The NPC may ruin the Ambush, but the enemy AI will start firing on your quickly and ignore the NPC you need to protect.

Use the initiative system to Focus Fire on one of their mechs, while making sure your mechs are only giving LOS to the mech you are focus firing.

You should be going into this fight with near pristine armor because you can pop the turret generators and enemy vehicles from range.

I made these for MWO back in the day, but most of the same concepts apply:

I'm not going to do this when I can funnel all fire into the left side of an Orion because that's the only target they have.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Pretty solid in all honesty, Battletech has also brought a bunch of goons old and new back to the game in search of more Robutt stomping. The game is fun and as good as it's ever been.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Just liberated Panzyr with a clutch performance by Dekker, who bee-lined his way in a Jenner behind the dropships to the air traffic control building while the other three duked it out with the guards.

First mission post Panzyr, I’m on a mission to take out a “scouting lance” with Dekker in a shiny new Commando with a SRM4++ and SRM6++ and while trying to around to surprise a Shadowhawk, he runs into another whole loving lance with a Griffin and 2 more Shadowhawks that promptly ice him in the next phase. I finished the contract (barely) but I guess that’s one of those situations where I should have just given House Liao the middle finger and jetted off when that second lance showed up.

RIP Dekker, you deserved better :smith:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

beefart posted:

Just liberated Panzyr with a clutch performance by Dekker, who bee-lined his way in a Jenner behind the dropships to the air traffic control building while the other three duked it out with the guards.

First mission post Panzyr, I’m on a mission to take out a “scouting lance” with Dekker in a shiny new Commando with a SRM4++ and SRM6++ and while trying to around to surprise a Shadowhawk, he runs into another whole loving lance with a Griffin and 2 more Shadowhawks that promptly ice him in the next phase. I finished the contract (barely) but I guess that’s one of those situations where I should have just given House Liao the middle finger and jetted off when that second lance showed up.

RIP Dekker, you deserved better :smith:

I ended up sprinting a centurion back there and the AI just focus fired on my Jagermech the entire time. Completely ignored the Centurion sprinting behind them.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
More KS backers...

Group shot of 4 of them on an easy mission. The Battlemaster is hiding in the back in shame (It's a disco build with only medium lasers). Skyros is piloting Dekker's ride (AC20 and jump jets), without the +30 overheat threshold it's running hot as hell.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Great Beer posted:

Buy more pilots, fire them when you start finding the cockpit mods that give your pilot armor.

Wait, you can fire pilots? Where is this button?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BurntCornMuffin posted:

In the barracks, the screen where you assign their skills. There's a big DISMISS button on the top right.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

CommieGIR posted:

I ended up sprinting a centurion back there and the AI just focus fired on my Jagermech the entire time. Completely ignored the Centurion sprinting behind them.

I hadn't seen crap for heavies up until Panzyr so I ran it with all mediums, the NPC turrets did work though. Failed the first time on running out of turns, the second time it was a pretty easy sweep of all enemy mechs.

Dual shadow hawks fitted for brawling with a long range support and another medium/long loaded mech have been my go to. Basically unsteady with LRM and AC fire then the Shadows apply a liberal salting of SRM's followed by dick punches.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Eldragon posted:

I have not played in 2 years or so. Back then it was: Clan tech sucks, PGI selling iWin mechs for money then nerfing them when they go free sucks, ghost heat sucks, gauss rifle delay sucks, sniper fights sucks, dropping with pubbies sucks.

When I played that Kamino stole most of the mech kills because I would core out their rear armor during my attack, then they turn to fight me and Kamino finishes them off. Just don't wait so long they have time to kill her; the missions is scripted so do as the image above implies: get all your guys near the prison gate then charge in as a group.

Already done! I reloaded an earlier save where all of us where still standing just outside the gate. The second fight went a lot better. Instead of Glitch getting headshot multiple times, this time it was the AI's turn to get murderized by the RNG. Knockdowns, pilot injuries, ammo explosions. For every single mech of that poor, poor lance.

The AI didn't help itself by being even stupider this time around: The few times one of my mechs was in serious danger (Behemoth this time), enemy mechs started splitting their fire between me and Important NPC, never doing serious damage to either of us.

The last enemy mech standing even turned around in front of my lance to shoot at Lady NPC -after he lost half his mech in an ammo explosion, mind you! That guy should have used his own eject-button, I think. One turn later he was dead.

Welp. Now I have the Argo. And only one of my mechs got more than a little scratch. Kind of beautiful to experience how the RNG can both turn a mission into a nightmare and a cakewalk, depending on your luck. :allears:

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Or you can find a Locust and give them a Viking funeral.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Eldragon posted:

So far I have not found LL vs PPC to be totally out of whack, similar with the SRM6. I still use them. With the AC10 I just can't find a use for them, ever. 1 Ton lighter and 1 ton ammo? Totally.

Although I think I will just make a Light AC5 / Light AC2 with reduced ranges so I can crap some ballistic badassery into lighter mechs.

I've been thinking about the problems with LL, and I think the problems are due to AC/2,5,10 being buffed significantly and AC/20 being nerfed significantly compared to old TT values. In old TT, the AC's did (using BATTLETECH factors) 10, 25, 50, 100 dmg. In BATTLETECH, the actual damage is 25, 45, 50, 65 (iirc). This makes the AC/5, which used to do 5/8 as much damage as a LL suddenly do very close to the same damage. a 7 ton, 3 crit AC vs. a 5 ton, 2 crit laser (that also needs buttloads of heat sinks) becomes a much different value proposition.

In old TT, you can almost see the design process unfold. The PPC was 7 tons 3 crits, 10 dmg, 10 heat, with a 6/12/18 range and min range of 3. The AC/5 (or just Autocannon if you're playing the original Battletech 2nd Edition box) was 7 tons 3 crits, with a 6/12/18 range and min range of 3, but it does 5 dmg and only 2 heat. It's like they created the PPC and then were like "ok, now let's create the ballistic version that does less damage, less heat." But I digress...

In old TT, the Large Laser was a pretty good weapon all things considered, especially on lighter mechs that maybe didn't mount a lot of other heat-generating weapons. On heavier mechs, Autocannons start to look a lot more interesting. Like, yeah I could mount 4 PPC's instead of 4 AC/5s but in 3025 rules there was no practical way to fire that many PPCs at any given time for more than maybe 1 turn. The Awesome's 3 PPC build was definitely the practical limit before double heat sinks were a thing.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

feedmegin posted:

Err Isn't there one single Gauss gun in the entire game?

At some point I got a second. It had zero fanfare so it was either a bug or you get some more SLDF stuff somewhere in the campaign. Now I just need to find more ammo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Robbing graves with a dragon, hunchback, a shadow hawk, and a trebuchet. No losses but best to hell.