Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SilverMike posted:

Or you can find a Locust and give them a Viking funeral.

Save all the locusts you salvage, send the backers out, then good faith withdraw. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Really the strategy in this is a lot more complicated than "focus fire" and "attack with a large front". Focus firing is probably detrimental with evasion, multishot, and different mech classes in the game. The ultimate priority should be to make sure that they fire as little as possible, whatever they do fire is as ineffective as possible, and any damage you do is directly serving this purpose, either through killing a mech outright, disabling half their weapons, putting 6 flamers up their rear end, or just hiding behind cover with anything squishy. Bringing out multiple targets at once is bad because that fucks up the "ineffective as possible" part since they'll just focus down the weakest mech, and focus firing in a cone around the first mech that wanders into view is also bad because its probably a light with a lot of evasion and the rest of the mechs are going to pop in and focus down the weakest mech. Its much better in this game to leave the enemy with 3 hosed up mechs and one healthy mech than it is to leave them with one dead mech and three healthy mechs.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Flavahbeast posted:

Also if people are having trouble stopping the apcs on the Panzyr mission: the two entrances are one hex wide, if you put a mech in each one the troop transports will politely queue up and wait for you to move out of the way

This helped me out a ton.

This works on the front entrance between the space port but it doesnt work on side facing the forest. This also works at the secondary top wall entrance if you can get a light-medium mech up there fast enough. If you save the 2ndary objective you dont need to worry about the bottom APCs.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Oh man, didn't think I could get salvage from the Star league cahce mission, where I get to fight vs battlemaster, zeus and awesome. I just blew all them to pieces and got only one part as salvage.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I feel bad about all the lostech destroyed on that Star League base mission :(

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

:xcom: 95% chance to hit means 5% chance to miss! That's why I always fire every weapon I possibly can regardless of a target's armour because overkill is better that no kill.

For real. Any time I just fire someone's AC/5 at a tank to finish it they miss. Throw in a SRM6 volley? All the missiles blow up the dead exploded hulk a little extra.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Ihmemies posted:

Oh man, didn't think I could get salvage from the Star league cahce mission, where I get to fight vs battlemaster, zeus and awesome. I just blew all them to pieces and got only one part as salvage.

Game is more fun when the Highlander is your only assault so consider it a blessing.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Run a funding-focused mission to hold off the banks? Incap a Grasshopper and can only take one piece.

"Wow, default for this mission is 4/15 salvage and max is huge!" it's three junk mechs and some turrets.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Eldragon posted:

So far I have not found LL vs PPC to be totally out of whack, similar with the SRM6. I still use them. With the AC10 I just can't find a use for them, ever. 1 Ton lighter and 1 ton ammo? Totally..

The good thing about the ac10 in the campaign at least is that if you find one with +damage it will instantly kill any mech in the game with a unmitigated headshot. Combined with tactics 9 I think it's decent

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Eldragon posted:

Well that settles it, I'm modding my game to drop the tonnage of the AC 10 by 1 ton. Right now I'm using AC5 or AC20, ignoring all the others.

It's kind of a shame they didn't add a 4 ton Autocannon (Light AC5), table top really benefits from it, Especially if you are playing 3025 era. but I'm sure the grogs would lose their mind about fake timelines being ignored.

The problem with changing the size or weight of weapons is that it screws over Stock builds, and they're relying heavily on those. Heat, damage, stability are the primary levers they can use for weapon balance, and where that wasn't enough they invented extra things like recoil, multiple-fire (MGs) ammo limits (Flamers) or extra crits (MGs).

Giving the weapons that are too heavy free built-in ammo is a good way to make them lighter without screwing stock builds.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
No its way more fun playing MechCollector and using my assaults to take home as many mechs as i can.

I had to whip up an edit to let me take all the salvage but it was worth it.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

How do these weapon mods affect mp? Is there some mechanism to make sure stats are consistent for both players?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The designer in the AMA yesterday said there were weapon tweaks coming so I'm sure they'll be adjusting some stuff, particularly the weapon damage.

Personally I think the +/++ weapons really wreck a lot of balancing, in a game that you can really bend the balancing to your will with the customizing. Some mechs are just flat out inferior compared to others with the amount of free tonage you can get in comparison to each other unless you really think that 1 extra move hex is really going to change things for you (and even then just equip some jump jets).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Rascyc posted:

The designer in the AMA yesterday said there were weapon tweaks coming so I'm sure they'll be adjusting some stuff, particularly the weapon damage.

Personally I think the +/++ weapons really wreck a lot of balancing, in a game that you can really bend the balancing to your will with the customizing. Some mechs are just flat out inferior compared to others with the amount of free tonage you can get in comparison to each other unless you really think that 1 extra move hex is really going to change things for you (and even then just equip some jump jets).

Thing is, you need stuff like the + weapons and the enemy mechs being on 50% armour and the morale abilities or you'd never survive the amount of crap the AI can throw at you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Rascyc posted:

In the board game, they would fall under "Improved" weapons, which were a real thing, but was more Level 3/Level 4 rules.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, I don't think my Enforcer, Kintaro, Catapult PPC model, and LRM-Centurion lance could have handled a pair of heavies, a full medium lance, and vehicle support without the various edges you get.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

beefart posted:

Just liberated Panzyr with a clutch performance by Dekker, who bee-lined his way in a Jenner behind the dropships to the air traffic control building while the other three duked it out with the guards.

First mission post Panzyr, I’m on a mission to take out a “scouting lance” with Dekker in a shiny new Commando with a SRM4++ and SRM6++ and while trying to around to surprise a Shadowhawk, he runs into another whole loving lance with a Griffin and 2 more Shadowhawks that promptly ice him in the next phase. I finished the contract (barely) but I guess that’s one of those situations where I should have just given House Liao the middle finger and jetted off when that second lance showed up.

RIP Dekker, you deserved better :smith:

My decker ate an AC10 to the dome in a Panther. RIP.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I really hope they provide weapons/mech expansion packs. Bonus if I get Arrow 4 or Long Toms.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I'm at the mid to mid-late game and focus firing is pretty important. My current strategy is having about AC-80 in fire power, not including lasers or missiles, in order to knockdown. Usually I opening up with just called shotting CT with at least two AC 10's. By the fourth mech the target is usually knocked down/cored, and I choose another who's already gone to begin the process again. IMO it's probably the safest bet because they can't fight back if they're dead, in the early game I used to be all about multi shot with AC 5's because they could one shot the light turrets and tanks. [early/mid game spoilers?] But Demolishers, SRM boats, and Shreck ppc boats basically make that strategy unviable.

Maneuvering whoever is being bullied by AI is really important to increase their survivability, I can't believe how important it becomes to squeeze out more life out of a dying mech by making sure their fresh arm or back was facing towards enemies. Anyways I love this game it's pretty good. I just worry that I spent too much time getting rich and now I find all my encounters a little too easy.

E: My Dekker bought the farm the first mission after tutorial! I loved my Behemoth, she was the last OG marauder and lasted until a tough story mission where I got my second heavy.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

CommieGIR posted:

I really hope they provide weapons/mech expansion packs. Bonus if I get Arrow 4 or Long Toms.

I think it would require a fair amount of playtesting to get right, but I'd love to see defensive missions where they give you objectives to defend and you get FASCAM Arrow IV.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Finster Dexter posted:

I think it would require a fair amount of playtesting to get right, but I'd love to see defensive missions where they give you objectives to defend and you get FASCAM Arrow IV.

I really hope they open up the game to modding, it'd be cool if someone even modded the map to support doing contracts throughout the IS.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Gort posted:

Thing is, you need stuff like the + weapons and the enemy mechs being on 50% armour and the morale abilities or you'd never survive the amount of crap the AI can throw at you.

Nah, it's really not necessary.

My next play through is going to be with stock mech designs only. This game is real easy to break with out even getting into +/++ weapons.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AttackBacon posted:

At some point I got a second. It had zero fanfare so it was either a bug or you get some more SLDF stuff somewhere in the campaign. Now I just need to find more ammo...

I think there is a mechlab bug that can duplicate items/weapons if you stack up removing and equipping items on different mechs then canceling the remove tasks. I'm sure I had it happen with an AC/20++ I found very early in the game, but I haven't been able to replicate it at all. I know I had only the one AC/20++, didn't do any missions, fiddled around with a bunch of different fits and then suddenly had two after canceling some tasks.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My time on Panzyr was a little....odd.

The AI bugged the gently caress out, I assume from always being surrounded by turrets, and spent every turn bunkering up. As long as I didn't push forward, the AI didn't attack.

I spent the first 8 rounds doing target practice, then casually strolled to the end.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

My time on Panzyr was a little....odd.

The AI bugged the gently caress out, I assume from always being surrounded by turrets, and spent every turn bunkering up. As long as I didn't push forward, the AI didn't attack.

I spent the first 8 rounds doing target practice, then casually strolled to the end.

Pretty much same, but I got a Dragon out of it. Really wanted that Catapult though.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Toalpaz posted:

Maneuvering whoever is being bullied by AI is really important to increase their survivability, I can't believe how important it becomes to squeeze out more life out of a dying mech by making sure their fresh arm or back was facing towards enemies.

Yeah, next campaign I want to try getting more ace pilots across the board, it really opens up a lot of cover options that could benefit any mech.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Bruceski posted:

Run a funding-focused mission to hold off the banks? Incap a Grasshopper and can only take one piece.

"Wow, default for this mission is 4/15 salvage and max is huge!" it's three junk mechs and some turrets.

I did a salvage-heavy contract for a mission just like that and it was something like 8-10 lights and a couple APCs.

on the other hand I got so many mech pieces I sold three complete Spiders and Locusts so I ended up making several hundred thousand.

I have noticed if you do all the objectives for a house that likes you, a cash heavy contract with those big percent bonuses can be a LOT of money. I'm looking to do something like a base assault for Arano Restoration contract for max cash and get the 'destroy reinforcements' secondary and the 'destroy base turrets' bonus and see just how much I can rake in.

it is of course inevitable i'll headcap a Black Knight and lose all 3 pieces of salvage for it. But that's just how it goes.

Toalpaz posted:

Maneuvering whoever is being bullied by AI is really important to increase their survivability,

Evasive move + jump jets is fantastic. Five evade pips means you can matrix-dodge an SRM carrier's full salvo. I know Bulwark is great for your snipers and LRM boats who probably take a position and don't move, but jumpy brawlers with evasive move are equally, if not more, incredible at just laughing at incoming fire. It's really a powerful skill. The mobility of jump jets means you are always at your optimum range with the best tohit at the angle you want. I didn't really like jumpy lights early game but jump Wolverines and Griffins are my go-tos right now and they're superb.

Psion fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 1, 2018

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wow data\behaviorVariables is chock full of goodies to tweak, all broken out by role, personality and even faction (though those are all empty), maybe give the AI a bit of a bonus by weighting solid tactical choices (taking the high ground, armor facing etc) a little more. Even give the factions some different feels by shoving their behavior a little one way or the other.

"Float_AcceptableHeatLevel" at 1.4 I have no idea what that actually means as for their heat pool but I wonder if changing it will result in fewer "Jenner with 0 heat fires 1 MLas" events.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 1, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mo_Steel posted:

Pretty much same, but I got a Dragon out of it. Really wanted that Catapult though.

It's the K2 PPC model I'm pretty sure anyway, not the C1

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's the K2 PPC model I'm pretty sure anyway, not the C1

All Catapults are good and beautiful.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Panzyr was knife-edge for me since the AI worked and they ignored the turrets to start focusing me down, and the turn limit and giant open space meant that I didn't have much cover to work with so the entire thing turned into a massive brawl. Ended it with one turn left on the clock, then got to spend another 8 making my one-legged Jager limp to the extraction point. The ammo dump mission was even crazier and the only reason I didn't have any casualties is that my avatar was in the Orion that died. Everyone else was almost dead and out of ammunition.

Sadly served cold was a cakewalk but that's because I had a firestarter

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

All Catapults are good and beautiful.

Eh, I'm not really a fan of the K2. It's decent, but i was hoping to be able to refit it into a missile boat. Apparently the K2 and the C1 have entirely different hard points, so that wasn't possible.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I'd love if it the AI actually played somewhat intelligently and punched out if they're on like one leg with no arms and no side torsos left.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

seaborgium posted:

Eh, I'm not really a fan of the K2. It's decent, but i was hoping to be able to refit it into a missile boat. Apparently the K2 and the C1 have entirely different hard points, so that wasn't possible.

Try putting 2 x AC/20s on it. That was always pretty goddamned hilarious in MWO.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

seaborgium posted:

The C1 has 2 Missile hardpoints so good luck boating

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah missile Jaeger is the best heavy LRM boat because it has 4 hardpoints.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Holy poo poo the Banshee BNC-3E is totally useless, what a poo poo assault mech

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

ded posted:

Dekkerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

He 'died' doing a DFA in his spider to kill Grim Sybil. After the mission he was alive with 90 days in the med bay.

:smugdon:

Dude is a hero and is my tank in nearly every mission now.

Same except he missed Grim Sybil and both of his legs exploded and his mech was out of the battle. Then he was still alive.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
True to its in universe reputation.

RIP Dekker he made it all the way to the penultimate mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My Dekker had his first brush with death. He left the map in a nearly untouched battlemaster. One leg had lost its armour, and the CT was at 2 structure. Everything else was mint.