Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

tactlessbastard posted:

That's a bold posting style choice for a place with voting

Suffice to say his reply did not qualify to be shown on screen by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Suffice to say his reply did not qualify to be shown on screen by default

Brb I'm off to Slashdot to discuss the finer techniques for stuffing nerds into lockers

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim did nothing wrong.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The office is a show about crap people an inspires crap people

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Esoteric Scientist posted:

from /r/legaladvice

Can my professor legally threaten to kick me out of class for not meeting their arbitrary hygienic standards? [Florida]

Confederacy of Dunces Babies is the weirdest fuckin reboot

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When your shirt smells kind of weird and they wish that your weren't there
Just close your eyes and make a post where you're the one who was fair

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

girl pants posted:

This is America, be as fat as you want, but your right to smell like the cryptkeeper ends at my nostrils

One of my (26/F) coworkers (26/M) keeps trying to get a Jim and Pam situation going with me, and I’m beginning to feel a little bit uncomfortable around him.

Jim was actually the villain. hth

It’s me. I’m in love with the woman who is in a Darmok and Jalad situation with sitcom characters.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

from /r/legaladvice

Can my professor legally threaten to kick me out of class for not meeting their arbitrary hygienic standards? [Florida]

Thread title appropriate. Nice.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Rubellavator posted:

The stench said he had hyperthyroid in the comments.

Hyper? Cause he should be super thin if that's the case.

I have known several people as big as this guy who do not stink.

loquacius posted:

Someone suggested washing his clothes with white vinegar a couple times and he promptly ignored them

Someone replied "it's still possible to lose weight and also that disease doesn't make you stink" and he went "yeah well gently caress you"

Hypothyroidism, at least in dogs, can make them stink. It fucks up the doors that grows on the skin. I would guess this can also be a problem with humans who have hypothyroidism.

That said, thyroid medicine is very cheap and solves that problem pretty quickly. you need to watch your levels when the pharmacy switches between generics because there is too large of a variance between various drug producers allowed by the fda. My friend's doctor just prescribed the one that didn't gently caress with her levels and did not allow brand exchange when she wrote the prescription.

Bored fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 1, 2018

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

The thread is locked now but I loved this snip of a comment from someone with genuine cleaning advice:

quote:

Towel dry till you are really really dry. Especially the folds. Talc free baby powder in skin folds. Foot powder. Deodorant spray. Spray folds too.

/r/relationships: Especially the folds.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Skutter posted:

The thread is locked now but I loved this snip of a comment from someone with genuine cleaning advice:

/r/relationships: Especially the folds.

I really wish the replies to that comment weren't deleted.

Edit: Nevermind. They were new comments. That were deleted because it was posted on bestoflegaladvice. I was hoping the stench had a rebuttal.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 1, 2018

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

from /r/legaladvice

I shower with soap daily and brush my teeth and such, but invariably some stink remains, as does with everyone at my weight.

He's either grossly misrepresenting his body (6'2 and 280lb) or is making GBS threads himself because, no, that's not how it works. I'm inclined to think he's actually like 5'2 and 280lb especially since he mentioned it seriously affects his life and while 6'2 and 280 is big, it isn't "needs two airline seats" big.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It's a dumb troll because he wants to point to the answers to call SJWs hypocrites. "Why do I have to smell good if they don't have to look good???"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

It's a dumb troll because he wants to point to the answers to call SJWs hypocrites. "Why do I have to smell good if they don't have to look good???"

I dunno, if this was the case he would have doubled down on it in his comments, but they're all variations on the theme of "c'mon guys please just tell me my professor's being a jerk to me and I'm justified in trying to get him fired"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I [25 F] don't feel comfortable with how my boyfriend [26 M] of 1.5 years is so physically close to his sister [19 F]. I want to know if it's just me.

quote:

This has probably been asked a billion times but my boyfriend and I have different boundaries when it comes to family, specially when it comes to hugging and all of that.

His mom and sister came to visit and are staying with him for a few days during a holiday until tomorrow. They live in a city pretty close to ours and come to him or he goes to them when they each can do it.

I had met them before and felt uncomfortable about it. When we all go out he's pretty much around her the whole time. Sits beside her eating out, in the movie theater, on the couch, holds her hand crossing the street, etc. He calls her something that could be translated as "little girl", and kinda treats her like one too.

Their mom said the sister had one of the best grades of her entire career back in her university and he hugged her super hard and said "OMG you are so smart!" and kissed her, and she just laughed. He also playfully "forces" her to eat because she's so skinny, hugs her every morning.

They seem to have no boundary for changing in the same room, which to me is unfathomable, but they also grew up pretty poor and shared the same room until he left for university, so I don't know.

I guess I have the opposite relationship with my twin brother, because we are pretty distant (we don't really speak to each other, I can't even imagine hugging him), and my family is definitely not this close to each other, so I don't know if it's more me than them, but some of my friends who are closer to their siblings definitely don't go this far, so maybe it's a bit of both too?

I'd like to know if I'm judging them too hard or if it's really unusual. Which one is it?

tl;dr: Boyfriend is physically close to his sister (hugs, kisses, etc) and I don't feel comfortable with it, but don't know if it's only me or if they really cross some sort of line. Which one is it?

If you picked up on “translate” and guessed they might be from different cultures well, you’re a little right. It seems that they’re from the US but the parents are Colombian and OP’s are Korean.

At last check however the Colombians on reddit did pop in to say that it was “still a bit weird”.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

loquacius posted:

I dunno, if this was the case he would have doubled down on it in his comments, but they're all variations on the theme of "c'mon guys please just tell me my professor's being a jerk to me and I'm justified in trying to get him fired"

there is almost certainly a hygiene clause in the syllabus or student handbook or something, because the hygiene clause crops up everywhere now so that stinky people can be legally scolded for being stinky

you know you're going to a good gaming/hobby store if they have the hygiene clause posted on their front door

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I'm an only child, is it weird to say you can't imagine hugging your brother? It seems weird to me.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That is weird. Though personally I really only hug family out of obligation. They're all ok people I don't have any beef with, but I likely would never hang out with them if I wasn't related. Though I appreciate everything my parents have done for me. I just have very little in common with any of my family.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

girl pants posted:

I'm an only child, is it weird to say you can't imagine hugging your brother? It seems weird to me.

Nope. I have never and have no plans to hug my brothers ever.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

girl pants posted:

yeah that's some on-the-spectrum level touch aversion

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

girl pants posted:

It is, both of them are weird but he comes off significantly weirder

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
please do not contribute to the culture of compulsory hugging tia

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

to get people to stop hugging you, just don't let go. hold on as tight as you can until they say something, by that point they're so discomforted that they'll choose to cease of their own accord.

it also helps if you softy sing "don't want to miss a thing" by aerosmith while doing so.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Pick posted:

Haha just kidding I had a panini there with a friend once, I Yelped it a 4

Way to incorrectly use the Italian plural you loving prole

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

andrew smash posted:

Way to incorrectly use the Italian plural you loving prole

The literal Italian translation of "panini" is "little breads"

Colloquial translation is "sandwiches"

English definition is "just one sandwich but with hot grills on it"

Etymology is a weird thing

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It’s also a joke since I’ve never eaten a panin.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pick posted:

The office is a show about crap people an inspires crap people
Jim realizes he's a fuckhead and stops being a fuckhead though

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

loquacius posted:

The literal Italian translation of "panini" is "little breads"

Colloquial translation is "sandwiches"

English definition is "just one sandwich but with hot grills on it"

Etymology is a weird thing

not just hot grills, you gotta fuckin, crush that poo poo, till it's the width of exactly one carbon nanotube, with extreme flakes surrounding an interior that is the exact temperature and consistency as molten gold, and you pay $14 for it.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

not just hot grills, you gotta fuckin, crush that poo poo, till it's the width of exactly one carbon nanotube, with extreme flakes surrounding an interior that is the exact temperature and consistency as molten gold, and you pay $14 for it.

where can I buy this

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its times like these where Im thankful for my sharp quills and ability to roll up into a ball.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

to get people to stop hugging you, just don't let go. hold on as tight as you can until they say something, by that point they're so discomforted that they'll choose to cease of their own accord.

it also helps if you softy sing "don't want to miss a thing" by aerosmith while doing so.

treat it like a handshake and attempt to break and destroy your opponent

who among you dares to hug SPINECRUSHER?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

you can whine about it, or you can man up and put on the "You start hugging and I start humping" t-shirt

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Wear a t-shirt that says "Free Hugs" that way nobody will want to hug you because of conspicuous consumption.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

you know, that guy getting kicked out of class for smelling so bad probably doesn't get any unwanted hugs

food for thought

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah that's some on-the-spectrum level touch aversion

I am literally on the spectrum and even at my most touch averse I could still grasp that people like to hug people they're close to. A quick Google tells me that Korean culture tends to be more reserved about hugging, but if it's actually going down like the OP describes, I would get the heebie-jeebies too. It's a little much.

Brother Entropy posted:

you know, that guy getting kicked out of class for smelling so bad probably doesn't get any unwanted hugs

food for thought

He doesn't need any more food

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

boner confessor posted:

there is almost certainly a hygiene clause in the syllabus or student handbook or something, because the hygiene clause crops up everywhere now so that stinky people can be legally scolded for being stinky

you know you're going to a good gaming/hobby store if they have the hygiene clause posted on their front door

The place I played D&D had theirs posted in the gaming room. The owner made it 20 years ago. It's a comic featuring Mr. Deodorant.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

cock hero flux posted:

treat it like a handshake and attempt to break and destroy your opponent

who among you dares to hug SPINECRUSHER?

Me. You know how hard it is to get a solid hug? I’m loving surrounded by noodle-armed wusses.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I am literally on the spectrum and even at my most touch averse I could still grasp that people like to hug people they're close to. A quick Google tells me that Korean culture tends to be more reserved about hugging, but if it's actually going down like the OP describes, I would get the heebie-jeebies too. It's a little much.

He doesn't need any more food

Yeah the boyfriend sounds way into overly touchy feely octopus hands territory but she also sounds like she might be an unreliable narrator on how over-the-top it all is, either way the both of em together gotta look like a Pepe le Pew short

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I don't even care how much they hug but the fact that they change in front of each other is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

dudeness posted:

I don't even care how much they hug but the fact that they change in front of each other is weird.

My reaction is that even if this originated from being poor and having to share a room they should probably have stopped doing it by now

Granted I never had to share a room with a sibling but still