Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I was unprepared for how quickly Summerland got turned around. The KS finished last month and he sent out the vouchers for the PoD books and PDFs today. Got in my orders for the fancy hardbacks, so that'll be cool when they eventually show up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol that Terminator Gynysys game ain't gonna make it

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

lol that Terminator Gynysys game ain't gonna make it

It's too bad. The designers (Lynnvander) got burned super hard by the previous Terminator board game, and ended up bringing the hate to this one.

Completely different games, and it was Space Goat Productions, who after hiring Lynnvander, decided that the game wasn't good enough. On top of that, a whole YEAR delay on the game has made a lot of people very pissed off about another one coming out.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It doesn't help that while the Terminator franchise as a whole has managed to hang onto some scraps of goodwill from those good movies from before the majority of humans alive today were born, they specifically yoked their game to the most recent movie which somehow paradoxically is the most hated and most forgotten at the same time.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

kinkouin posted:

It's too bad. The designers (Lynnvander) got burned super hard by the previous Terminator board game, and ended up bringing the hate to this one.

Completely different games, and it was Space Goat Productions, who after hiring Lynnvander, decided that the game wasn't good enough. On top of that, a whole YEAR delay on the game has made a lot of people very pissed off about another one coming out.

Speaking of Space Goat Productions, they just sent out a KS update about a crowd-funded equity funding project because they're broke as gently caress and realized that subsisting on KS sales alone and really lovely graphic novels doesn't work. Who would have thought?

https://wefunder.com/spacegoat

The pledge goals (if you can call them that) are as asinine as most KS pledge levels are. I really hope I get this game before they implode.

Henker
May 5, 2009

The Evil Dead II and Terminator board games are never going to see the light of day, are they?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1152516291/dual-powers-revolution-1917-a-board-game-for-1-2-p

Do you like the Russian Revolution? Do you like area control board games? Do you like the pegging mechanic in Cribbage? If so, have I got the game for you!

This game is actually super legit. I played a prototype of it like a decade ago and have been bugging the designer to get it out there ever since.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That looks cool as hell!

If you're after space ship interior for your 28mm man wars, local brisbane crew are throwing this up:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/784163110/wargaming-corridor-set

I want two.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Henker posted:

The Evil Dead II and Terminator board games are never going to see the light of day, are they?

At this rate? Unlikely. I'm a few hundred in the hole on it atm. :smithicide:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

rydiafan posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1152516291/dual-powers-revolution-1917-a-board-game-for-1-2-p

Do you like the Russian Revolution? Do you like area control board games? Do you like the pegging mechanic in Cribbage? If so, have I got the game for you!

This game is actually super legit. I played a prototype of it like a decade ago and have been bugging the designer to get it out there ever since.

Ah, my boyfriend liked the look of that, but I feel like I’ve splashed out on KS hardcore over the last few weeks. We’re definitely on a peak currently, so hopefully a lull comes soon.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1930759690/orc-stabr

ORC STABR is a single sheet RPG designed in a cave by an Orc named Limm Ghomizar. The hook here is that every copy of the game is A) Only half the game and B) will come with customized rules, an example being someone might get a sheet with "Magic" as a core skill, or someone might get a copy with a currency system scrawled somewhere on their page. They'll also be lots of doodles and stuff on every copy.

Given that its a single sheet of paper, the funding goal was $20, and it's already funded 200%, so I'm pretty hyped about mailing out this silly game to everyone soon.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Thank you for posting about this; I'd hate to have missed out on it.

Edit: And oh, wow, I just got an e-mail about an upcoming Kickstarter for a third edition of Over The Edge. One of my favorite games I've never gotten to play; I have a whole shelf full of stuff for it. Yes, please.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 1, 2018

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Can someone go more in depth about their issues with CMON? I own Zombicide: Black Plague, and enjoy the game a lot, though there are still times when my group and I aren't sure if we're playing properly. I'm currently backing the Invader KS, because I really like the theme, but I'm reconsidering now after seeing the Hellboy game. Is it likely to be better? I'm fairly new to the boardgame scene and don't know much about any particular company.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

CMON barf out mini games of varying quality. You already know if you like the Zombicide system (seems you do), but ask yourself if you really need anymore Zombicide in your life? If the answer is yes, go crazy. More likely the answer is no, and you should come tell the boardgame thread what you like and dislike about Zombicide and we can steer you towards a non-KS game that fits your group.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

This popped up on my feed, I like the look of it.

https://twitter.com/aaronareed/status/991368595115393024

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

kaujot posted:

Can someone go more in depth about their issues with CMON? I own Zombicide: Black Plague, and enjoy the game a lot, though there are still times when my group and I aren't sure if we're playing properly. I'm currently backing the Invader KS, because I really like the theme, but I'm reconsidering now after seeing the Hellboy game. Is it likely to be better? I'm fairly new to the boardgame scene and don't know much about any particular company.

I would be leery about backing Hellboy unless you really love the theme. The company making it has made a few cooperative dungeon crawler games. The first is by most accounts horrible, and the second is reckoned a modest improvement. This is round 3 for them and they might have figured things out but there are a lot of dungeon crawlers out there, some of which are amazing. I second hitting up the board game thread.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I would be leery about backing Hellboy unless you really love the theme. The company making it has made a few cooperative dungeon crawler games. The first is by most accounts horrible, and the second is reckoned a modest improvement. This is round 3 for them and they might have figured things out but there are a lot of dungeon crawlers out there, some of which are amazing. I second hitting up the board game thread.

The first one was made by a different designer, Jake Thornton, who had a different vision of the game to the backers particularly with respect to player created content and ongoing quests ala Warhammer Quest, and the second one was a rework of his first by someone else at Mantic to try and get the stuff outside the core rules back where people expected it to be. Mantic and Jake no longer work together, because of legal action over this saga. Hellboy has been written from scratch by James Hewitt, who wrote Betrayal at Calth, Silver Tower, Gorechosen for GW, and some supplements for their other games.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 2, 2018

Henker
May 5, 2009

kaujot posted:

Complaints about CMON generally stem from their huge, yearly Kickstarter games (mostly Zombicide). Games like Ethnos don't get the same type of complaints.

- The games they make are fairly shallow in terms of strategic complexity. Usually you roll some dice and punch monsters with your super overproduced minis. Board game message boards tend to skew towards more hardcore gamers, so they're going to look down on "casual" games. Basically, CMON is the Bud Light of the gaming world.

- They've really gone all-in on the Kickstarter model, even if they have enough money to make every game straight retail releases. Their games usually have a huge amount of Kickstarter exclusives - for example if you tried to buy Rising Sun at retail you'd probably be missing like 2/3rds of the content actually made for the game. They've basically perfected the art of FOMO, and they've been using increasingly shady tactics to keep people hooked (Kickstater exclusive games for example).

- HATE was incredibly easy to make fun of because it felt like an edgy 14 year old made a game based on all the worst aspects of the Conan universe.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

So, uh, how about that Far West?

A Long-Overdue Update on FAR WEST -- or: What the hell have you been doing, Gareth?

Long time, I know.

I had promised myself that I wouldn’t be doing an update until I had a major delivery ready… that the incremental “I’m still working” updates didn’t tell anybody anything new – and wouldn’t convince folks who don’t believe that’s the case. So, doing them seemed like a waste of time. Plus, being completely honest, dealing with the minority of hyper-critical voices had led me to view those updates with growing anxiety. I wrestle with depression & anxiety quite a bit – so I made the choice to avoid a source of it.

However, a twitter discussion with a backer has convinced me otherwise – you folks deserve to know what’s going on. So here we are. I’ll just cut to the chase:

What’s been going on?

I’ve been completely redesigning FAR WEST, from top to bottom.

I’m sure that a lot of you are now utterly convinced that I’m crazy. Maybe so.

Allow me to explain.

Last summer, a friend of mine died. An industry colleague, a guy I’d known for decades, who I’d first met when I was living in Atlanta in the late 80s. More pursuant to this update, however – he was one of the folks who’d stepped up to help me get FAR WEST completed.

He died suddenly – no indication of ill health. There one minute, then gone.

My first reaction, to my shame, was to worry about what this meant for FAR WEST.

Yeah. I felt pretty awful for thinking like that. Still do.

But then, I found myself dwelling on the fact that he was gone so suddenly, with so many plans left unfulfilled. Not just his helping me – he had a bunch of things he was doing, which now would never be done. He was just gone. You know that I’ve had my own brushes with mortality – most recently in 2014. I kept thinking about that. I went into a pretty major depression.

One of the things that I realized during this period was that I wasn’t happy with FAR WEST. I kept coming back to the idea that it was so late, that the delays had been so long… and I asked myself: When you finally release it, will you be proud of it? Will you feel that it was worth the time that it took?

The answer was no.

I tried to avoid looking at that answer. At this point in the process, I couldn’t face that answer, really. If the answer really was “no, I’m not proud of it – I don’t actually like what I’ve got here” – then what the hell was the next step? I felt as though I was committed, at this point.

I had long talks about this with my wife, Laura, and my partner at Adamant Entertainment, Eric Trautmann, and both of them ended up saying variations of the same thing (paraphrasing here): “It’s already late. Make it something you ARE proud of.”

So I decided to do just that.

Now, don’t get me wrong – I love the setting. A testament to how much I love the world we’ve created here is that I still get excited about it, even after all the anxiety & negative poo poo that has floated around the delays, etc.

I even love some of the rules design I’ve come up with. But overall, I wasn’t happy with the system. It wasn’t feeling right in play. And I couldn’t get it to where I was satisfied. When I did come up with something that felt right, it would inevitably break some other part of the system. Frustration mounted.

Talking with Eric, he cut through the chaos (he’s really good at that) by asking me “well, what game had more of the feel you’re trying to hit?” And I said the old Star Wars game from West End. (And I wasn’t just stroking Eric’s ego there – he was the Creative Director for Star Wars at West End back in the day – but we’d been talking about the system in discussions on a different project, so it was a common frame of reference.)

Which led to a three-word solution:

Well, why not?

The original system of Star Wars, West End’s D6, is also available as Open Content, a framework in which I was already working. I know how the underlying math works, so I was able to take the rules elements that I was really happy with from the existing FAR WEST design, and port them over for use with D6. And the game plays faster and more cinematically – which is EXACTLY what I was hoping for.

So that’s what’s been happening, since around September of last year. And all of a sudden, I was happy with what I was producing. So that part has worked!

Anyway – this is getting long. I should probably switch to a simple Q&A summary:

When are we going to see this?
I am planning on giving you a completed manuscript (and we’re talking the whole thing, not just the rules) in July – although possibly earlier. (I’m actually shooting for close to my birthday in mid-June, if I can manage it).

What happens next?
That’s when I turn the manuscript over to Eric for layout. Yes, you read that right – I’m not insisting on doing everything myself. The layout will be largely the same as the existing one (I like the look of it), but I’m handing it off to an actual graphic design professional, who actually knows his stuff, so it will happen a HELLUVA lot faster. Eric designs all of Adamant’s other stuff, and he’s also the graphic designer for comics like LAZARUS, BLACK MAGICK, ATOMIC ROBO graphic novels, etc. (You can read more about his work here: https://www.erictrautmann.us ) Once layout is done, we go to press (and yes, I still have partners helping with that), and you get the full PDF, and then the book.

What can you tell us about the new system?
We’re calling it “D6 PLUS” – the base framework is the Open Content D6 system from West End, which we think are a rock-solid set of rules for fast, cinematic style play. To that framework, we’re adding additional elements (the “Plus” part), drawing from more modern, “story-game” styles of play (as an example, the Spirit & Aspects system from the first version of FAR WEST).

But I liked the system we had!
I’m glad to hear that – and if there’s enough interest, we might go ahead and eventually complete that version, as an alternate rules set. There is also potential for licensed versions using other rules systems as well, down the road, which some folks have already spoken with us about.

How can we see it or play it sooner?
If you want to get a chance to look over the rules, run a few sessions, etc., before the delivery of the full manuscript in the summer, drop me a line at gms@adamantentertainment.com, and I’ll send the rules portion out to you later this month. (It won’t have the setting or game mastering tools, but the rules will be there, enough to create characters and run sessions.) Obviously, this offer is only open to Kickstarter backers and pre-order customers, despite this update being made public.

What about updates? Are you going to go silent again? No, I’m not. I’m committing myself to updating you weekly on what I’ve been doing. Those updates will be public – posted here, and over at my blog (http://gmskarka.com). The day of the week will vary – it depends on my work load that week, stuff going on in my life, etc. But you’ll be hearing from me once a week from now until we’re done.

OK – this thing is already 1200 words long, which is WAY longer than I intended. I’m going to get back to work. I’m available to answer any questions you have – the absolute best ways to contact me are via email at gms@adamantentertainment.com, via Twitter at @gmskarka or via Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/gmskarka . Those are the methods which I will reliably see, get notification, and be able to respond to the quickest.

As always, I remain forever thankful to you. Thank you for sticking around through my dark days, and believing in me. I can’t wait to show you what you’ve helped to create.

Gareth-Michael Skarka
Lawrence, KS
May 1, 2018

head58 fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 2, 2018

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So whatever happened to that Honest to goodness no fooling, 100% complete version that he had done like 5 years ago?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

atholbrose posted:

And oh, wow, I just got an e-mail about an upcoming Kickstarter for a third edition of Over The Edge. One of my favorite games I've never gotten to play; I have a whole shelf full of stuff for it. Yes, please.

Oh boy! I loved OTE to the point I recently ended up with a collection of 3,000+ cards of the CCG. Though I wonder how the jump from weird 90s RPG with lovely art will work to a modern RPG- so much of its charm was rooted in that feel of Cronenberg's Naked Lunch.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
so is far west more of a duke nukem forever or a halflife 3 situation?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As sad as the former, as perpetually nonexistent as the latter.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
You can do it, GMS. I believe* in you.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Oh my god.

A Long-Overdue Update on FAR WEST -- or: What the hell have you been doing, Gareth? posted:

Long time, I know.

I had promised myself that I wouldn’t be doing an update until I had a major delivery ready… that the incremental “I’m still working” updates didn’t tell anybody anything new – and wouldn’t convince folks who don’t believe that’s the case. So, doing them seemed like a waste of time. Plus, being completely honest, dealing with the minority of hyper-critical voices had led me to view those updates with growing anxiety. I wrestle with depression & anxiety quite a bit – so I made the choice to avoid a source of it.

However, a twitter discussion with a backer has convinced me otherwise – you folks deserve to know what’s going on. So here we are. I’ll just cut to the chase:

What’s been going on?

I’ve been completely redesigning FAR WEST, from top to bottom.

Talking with Eric, he cut through the chaos (he’s really good at that) by asking me “well, what game had more of the feel you’re trying to hit?” And I said the old Star Wars game from West End. (And I wasn’t just stroking Eric’s ego there – he was the Creative Director for Star Wars at West End back in the day – but we’d been talking about the system in discussions on a different project, so it was a common frame of reference.)

Which led to a three-word solution:

Well, why not?

When are we going to see this?
I am planning on giving you a completed manuscript (and we’re talking the whole thing, not just the rules) in July – although possibly earlier. (I’m actually shooting for close to my birthday in mid-June, if I can manage it).

Literally a year to the day since his last project update. And this is what he comes to them with, after all his talk about "no updates without something substantial to show for it."

I guess it'll probably be better than his original idea, but only because his original idea was loving "Fate, but with a d20." When it definitely finally comes out.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Oh, oh Gareth no.
Just... no man.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Perfect is the enemy of the good.

Or, uh, competent is the enemy of the... existent?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Did Gareth just pull the TG equivalent of changing engine from Unity to Unreal Engine 4 two years and 3/4 of the way through development and not tell the backers about it until after the decision was made?

Except, you know, he's 8 years into it or whatever.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

NTRabbit posted:

Did Gareth just pull the TG equivalent of changing engine from Unity to Unreal Engine 4 two years and 3/4 of the way through development and not tell the backers about it until after the decision was made?

If his comments in the past are to be believed (:lol:) it's more like being 99.999% done, multiple non-consecutive times, but this one time he made it even harder to get there again.

I have a soft spot for WEG Star Wars, but man it was actually not a good system, and from what I recall the Open D6 stuff didn't fix any of its problems.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

NTRabbit posted:

Given the relative dates of the systems involved, it's a bit more like designing a game using id Tech 3 and deciding to scrap it and use Freescape instead.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

This is what he should have done six years ago or whatever -- slap his stupid setting onto functional rules and just BE DONE with it. Take the smaller hit to reputation and make a second edition if he has that many *~feelings~* attached to it. People would have forgotten all about it and he could have saved himself enormous amounts of aggravation.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tragedy seems to follow this man like a thing that follows a man very closely.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dawgstar posted:

a shadow

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Dawgstar posted:

A wedgie.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It sure is awfully convenient that every time he's got a deadline looming up, he suddenly has a tragedy...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jivjov posted:

It sure is awfully convenient that every time he's got a deadline looming up, he suddenly has a tragedy...
My favorite was one year a promised mid-late December release was kicked into the new year because a bunch of unexpected family obligations suddenly cropped up.

I mean, who could possibly forsee a bunch of family stuff demanding your attention in the last two weeks of December?

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Either way it's going to be years late and people are going to be (justifiably) angry as gently caress. If delaying the KS a little more to change the system would make him feel better about it I say go for it.

:getin:

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

The funny part is that after all this, if he ever actually does release a game, it's going to be just mediocre instead of the worst game of all time. Someone could at least get some enjoyment from the latter.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The answer to 'well why not' is because you have a loving obligation to release this to people who have been waiting for it, you walnut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I kinda hope Orc Stabr turns into the next promise the world but deliver nothing while making increasingly pathetic explanations KS game