Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

hooman posted:

Yeah I can't help but feel very cynical about removing microtransactions and grind for "the health of the game and our vision". When it was pretty clearly wrong and roundly criticised from the start.

Oh wait.

Jack Trades posted:

- Domination replaced by hiring Mercenaries
- Orcs cannot be hired
- Human Mercenaries will be a part of the Nemesis System

- Some new features will be free additions to the base game even without DLC

Duh

E more charitably, maybe they don't want a situation like Assassin's Creed Unity where there were nine different currencies? This doesn't seem like it would interfere that much with buying guys though, I guess

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The microtransactions are dumb and I want to be very clear that I am not defending them.

In my entire playthrough, I never felt like I was gated or should be spending real money.
I also didn't grind through the 20 Shadow Wars sieges, so there's that. It's dumb and a crappy practice, but I never felt impacted by it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I did all of Shadow Wars because I for som reason care about having 100%ed this game and I didn't feel the need to buy any loot boxes or do any kind of grind. Those sieges are just sending new recruits at you, I just used those. :shrug:

(although I can imagine that if you end up losing one of the sieges then you might have to acquire more orcs)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TescoBag posted:

They've also announced they're going to be removing all gold and market place items including war chests etc.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shadowofmordor/comments/8962gu/important_free_updates_coming_to_shadow_of_war/

Dang. They don't give a lot of detail but it sounds like it would be a substantial update to the game since a lot of core stuff is getting overhauled.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

hooman posted:

Yeah I can't help but feel very cynical about removing microtransactions and grind for "the health of the game and our vision". When it was pretty clearly wrong and roundly criticised from the start.

Oh yeah, this is absolutely a response to 'less people bought this game overall due to the uproar over microtransactions vs. the few who actually sink money into microtransactions and it hosed with our ROI' and not any kind of goodwill on the part of developers. But hey, if corporations have to be shamed into making their games less lovely, net win.

Also the fact that they're adding a narrative to Shadow Wars means I might actually play it at some point :toot:

I wonder what they mean by more skins. I knew that Baranor would be a thing, but who else? The girl? Her dumbass father? Ratbag? Gondorian sergeant?!

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Ratbag skin would be incredible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Was there really an uproar about transactions though? Once people got some actual info on them, things settled right down to "clumsily implemented but can be ignored".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Was there really an uproar about transactions though? Once people got some actual info on them, things settled right down to "clumsily implemented but can be ignored".

Yeah, there was.
The fans of the "series" didn't really mind but all of the press and youtubers and normal gamers were ripping it to shreds.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

poptart_fairy posted:

They were pretty benign in SoW (and honestly kinda worthless when you consider how an orc's completely randomized traits could make or break their combat effectiveness) but the Battlefronts debacle caused such a huge backlash that it tainted any game even associated with microtransactions for awhile, to the point that even friends of mine who weren't really into gaming were talking about 'that bullshit Star Wars game where you have to pay $100 to be Luke Skywalker'.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I interpret this move more cynically as "we have already extracted enough in microtransactions from the prime selling period of this game, now we can remove them and pat ourselves on the back for our upstanding morals."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I know that there's no way it's gonna happen but man, I sure wish that they would add a gamemode that would just open all the regions from the start and remove all the story parts of the game.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I actually cannot wait to have more humans V uruks. Can the Mercs all be ridiculous in their own way? I want more than just grizzled vet 1 - 5 + token rookie

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dogstile posted:

I actually cannot wait to have more humans V uruks. Can the Mercs all be ridiculous in their own way? I want more than just grizzled vet 1 - 5 + token rookie

On the last stream they said something about "Mercenaries will have their own unique sets of traits based around the kind of cooperation that orc simply aren't capable of." whatever that means.

I doubt there will be anywhere near as many variations of mercenaries as there are of orcs but I'm sure they'll make them interesting.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

There better be some good names, hell cop from some of the orc titles if you gotta, I want the 3rd Thunder Bowels regiment under my command.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

exquisite tea posted:

I interpret this move more cynically as "we have already extracted enough in microtransactions from the prime selling period of this game, now we can remove them and pat ourselves on the back for our upstanding morals."

no doubt that this is what's happening, but the end result is a better game so I'm not going to be too cynical

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I play through all of Shadow of Mordor four or five times.
If this improves Shadow of War for future playthroughs then I don't really care what the reasoning behind it is.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

More Desolation of Mordor gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erVD2bu-_nk

- Grapple Hook
- Combat is supposedly way different than in the main game
- Shield Bash
- Weapons Wheel with a bunch of different gadgets
- No regenerating health, limited healing potions
-
-
- Humans can Cheat Death
- Still no fall damage, somehow

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This looks promising!

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

That is pretty promising, hope it's longer than 2 or 3 hours.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man, that shield bash looks fun as hell.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Man, who *wants* fall damage in their game? Unless it's like a 200% real life simulator. Just say that mercenaries have strong knees. Also, have they stripped microtransactions yet, or just announced that they will? Very fond of SoM but never got around to buying this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The big re-release with the bad stuff removed and good stuff added is July 17th.

We should probably get a thread title change

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Bogart posted:

Man, who *wants* fall damage in their game? Unless it's like a 200% real life simulator. Just say that mercenaries have strong knees. Also, have they stripped microtransactions yet, or just announced that they will? Very fond of SoM but never got around to buying this.

There will be a big free update together with the release of the last DLC that will remove the store and rework the last part of the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Grappling Hook and Kite gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slSfRAyPlzs

- Kite replaces the double jump, sort of
- You can grapple to things at any point even mid flight
- Drop Attacks from flying. I always wanted to be able to do a drop attack after a double jump in SoW and now I kind of will be able to.
- Use your mobility to escape fights, because permadeath
- An optional augment allows you to use the grappling hook as a "slingshot" to propel you faster so you can fly farther.
- Instead of getting a ton of trash gear loot that you constantly switch between, you find a lot of other trash, Augments, and just duct tape ALL of it into the gear you start with, constantly upgrading your gear.
- Baranor has various ammo types for his crossbow but the ammo has to be found via killing orcs, meaning you can't rely on it as much as in the main game.
- One of the new environmental traps are worm burrows. If shot a big rear end worm will come out of the ground and eat a nearby orc.
- When you die, you lose all the augments you collected.
- Augments drop in random order each run, even the special augments that give you new moves. Creating a new set of powers for you every run.
- Augments don't change the look of your gear.
- When asked "Will the new region be in the main game?" he answered "We have no plans talking about it yet."

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

DLC's sounding pretty slick.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m7DuQhhl9I

-
- Most mercenaries have "coop" traits that focus on supporting other friendly units.
-
-
- Mercenaries have a Stealth Command and a Combat Command. Unique moves that can be executed when a mercenary is your bodyguard.
- Mercenaries can cheat death.
- Mercenaries can save your rear end from death (God bless you, Gondorian Soldier.)
- Mercenaries don't betray you. You will not be fighting humans.
- Mercenaries are generated the same way orc captains are.
- You can have up to three bodyguards for a proper squad.
- loving AMAZING Reminder: You can drop attack from mid-flight now.
- Mercs can't have blood brothers.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wow, this does seem pretty substantial. If they can rework all this customisation and equipment stuff into the base game, it'd be even loving better. :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
All of that is making this a day 1 purchase for me.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I see the developers are Just Cause fans.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNSMsMxpr2Y

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Looking at the stream gameplay of the new DLC "rogue like" mode, couple things stick out to me, there are a hundred little icons all over the place for arrow and augment drops which is kinda annoying and your only form of healing is via pause menu which is also annoying.

I like the none-paid DLC things they plan to add however, I imagine they had to scrap the market because people figured out they could just dupe mirian by messing with their save files so why would anyone ever spend money?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I like the none-paid DLC things they plan to add however, I imagine they had to scrap the market because people figured out they could just dupe mirian by messing with their save files so why would anyone ever spend money?

There was hardly any reason to use the market even without cheating when the only difficult part of the game, Shadow Wars, revolved around constantly giving you free orcs.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
So i think I've made the best set for mass necromany and overpowered followers, but wanna see if anyone here thinks there can be improvements:

Sword of Vengeance with current best green gem for lifesteal
Armor of Vengeace
2 set Vengeance bonus activated: can use might attacks at will using health (raise dead whenever you want), get health back by attacking or draining

Arcane Dagger
Arcane Bow
2 set Mystic bonus activated: 50% less damage to dominated grunts (also applies to the undead)

Dark Embrace - 65% less damage to undead allies (stacks not additively with 2 set mystic bonus)
Isildur's Ring - 65% more damage dealt by undead and also increase raise dead radius + max red gem for 30% more follower damage

It's pretty dope to use. Undead grunts just tank damage upon damage eventually swarming the battlefield and always win against enemy grunts, captains especially combined with the Enrage Follower skills do very respectable damage. I imagine a undead captain would tear everything apart, but i don't like making those.

Edit: Wish i could find an actual necromancer captain too to roll around with. At 92 hours played i haven't seen a single one in the wild.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 1, 2018

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
I tried a hardcore necromancer build for Shadow Wars at one point. While it's true your undead minions are so tanky they are effectively immortal, they suffer from the same penalty all grunts do: that non-captain, non-player damage dealt to enemy captain is reduced to almost nothing. You can sic a neverending horde on enemy leadership and still not put a dent in them.

That kind of killed my desire to continue messing with necro, though I guess they'd still make good distractions and shields against small fry while you focus on other things.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
is the elf dlc worth the season pass price tag? thinking about just getting desolation when it comes out and wondering if I should splurge for both the story dlcs.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dongattack posted:

So i think I've made the best set for mass necromany and overpowered followers, but wanna see if anyone here thinks there can be improvements:

Have you tried 2-piece Dark Ring + Rune together with 4-piece Bright Lord, abusing the Bright Lord Dagger?
I just thought that getting full Rage meter every time you kill two grunts was quite unrivaled in how overpowered it is.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Martian Manfucker posted:

is the elf dlc worth the season pass price tag? thinking about just getting desolation when it comes out and wondering if I should splurge for both the story dlcs.

From what I'd read, Eltarial's DLC is quite hit or miss. Maybe just wait for a sale drop.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Elf DLC is decent if you're like me, enjoy the game, and just want a few more hours of it. But it's nothing special.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMN3rKxg_Pw

This surprises me. But I like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzWpwjnHRS8

- There are Outposts scattered in the region.
- Taking over Outposts lets you put a mercenary there to command the Outpost, which will give you a bonus depending on the rarity of the mercenary.
-
- Attacking the Fort requires taking over all Outposts
- Outposts give you money.
- You can take over Outposts in any order but with each Outpost taken ALL other Outposts will be made stronger.
- Taking over an Outpost works the same way as taking over one Capture Point during Fort Assault, including several orc captains defending them.
- One of the mercenary abilities is Smoke Screen which covers a large area in smoke and lets you stealth attack during combat.
- One of the augments will let you can fire your crossbow while flying the kite which lets you strafe around mid-air, which looks really goofy (https://youtu.be/LzWpwjnHRS8?t=927).
- Your Outposts can be taken over if you're missing an Outpost commander for 3 "turns".
- There's a skill that lets you do the Scorpion's GET OVER HERE move with a chain.
- There are 75 unique types of upgrades you can get. (I assume, counting the +X% Defense upgrades and such too)
- By default Mercenaries are weaker than Orcs but they grow in power faster in power struggles and such.
-
-
-

Changes to the main game:

- NEW REGION IS IN THE MAIN GAME
- You can enter the region at the same time as you get the ability to travel between regions.
- New region in the main game has extra side content and some new lines of narrative content from Celebrimbor but no story missions.

- New Difficulty mode, called Brutal.
- Brutal is all about buffing the power of both the player AND the enemies. You will gain more might and rage and, unlike Gravewalker, kill captains fast, but even normal mooks will kill you just as fast.
- Brutal is for the people that like the idea of Gravewalker difficulty but didn't like how difficult it was to kill all the captains.

-

- New orc positions in the fort hierarchy. Overlord bodyguards.

• Locked thread