Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Awesome, thanks a lot. I'm taking notes, locating relevant Lynda videos, thinking up some possible deliverables. Would it be keeping with the thread's etiquette if I popped in with the occasional question as I put the class together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Awesome, thanks a lot. I'm taking notes, locating relevant Lynda videos, thinking up some possible deliverables.

I read the bolded as "Lydia" and I was very confused.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xxbz_WISOsY

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

EwokEntourage posted:

Acrobat for making PDFs, bates numbering, redacting info, combining/splitting

Teaching people that Microsoft word can number your paragraphs for you so that you don’t want to kill everyone when a partner tells you to add a paragraph in the into of a 100 paragraph paper that is all hand numbered

Lots of Acrobat for me.

+how to deal with page splits and spacing in Word

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

EwokEntourage posted:

Acrobat for making PDFs, bates numbering, redacting info, combining/splitting

Macros in excel

Teaching people that Microsoft word can number your paragraphs for you so that you don’t want to kill everyone when a partner tells you to add a paragraph in the into of a 100 paragraph paper that is all hand numbered

Adding exhibit stickers via PowerPoint. Actually, does anyone know a better program for adding exhibit stickers than PowerPoint?

Using PowerPoint to intelligently make charts and graphs and other summaries of voluminous information (pursuant to ev rule 1006).

Basic sideshow for opening and closing. For fun, have them overcome an objection to including photos of potentially prejudicial (and their potentially inadmissible) photos in opening slideshow.

See if you can get someone from the case management software companies to teach a class.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Hell yeah time to take a property exam!!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yeah it was absolutely a job crushing pro se inmates when they file complaints.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's an in though.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/991042433927536640?s=21

https://twitter.com/titusgraeme/status/991046413181075456?s=21

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 1, 2018

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's an in though.

And that’s how i pitched it to them. He had me fill out some background check/retirement system paperwork so i assume they’re recommending me as a yes with the package up to the AG. He asked me to email him a writing sample so i sent my upper level writing paper that FSU requires all students do to graduate. Mine was on sovereign citizens, so it is actually relevant to the job. And i just re-read it and it’s not awful.

Told me if i get a phone call in two months from pam bondi that it isn’t one of my friends playing a prank and that i’m getting an offer.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The AG makes offers herself?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Awesome, thanks a lot. I'm taking notes, locating relevant Lynda videos, thinking up some possible deliverables. Would it be keeping with the thread's etiquette if I popped in with the occasional question as I put the class together?

How to effectively use Microsoft Word styles so that you can fix the document styling easily after everyone else fucks it up when they edit your draft.

(I can't imagine anyone would object to you asking for more guidance along these lines.)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Kalman posted:

How to effectively use Microsoft Word styles so that you can fix the document styling easily after everyone else fucks it up when they edit your draft.

(I can't imagine anyone would object to you asking for more guidance along these lines.)

My next questions will probably be more along the lines of what features of Clio translate to other case management stuff, what level of detail to get into about litigation and case analytics, cloud storage security, but I'll wait until I can really even articulate the questions.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

The AG makes offers herself?

I would be just two steps below her, so yeah. My boss would be one of the state deputy assistant AGs and is a direct report of hers. We'd be working in the same building. No one gets to have AG anywhere in their name unless she actually signs off on the hiring.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Cool. Pre-gently caress your boss though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The guy interviewing me made a point to talk about the meeting with inmate portion of the job. When an inmate files a complaint, eventually one of us will have to go sit down and interview and/or depose various people including inmates at the various prisons around the state. He said that he's had some people quit both immediately before and after they had gone to a prison for an interview and then commented that I didn't look like the type of person that would be bothered by that. I'm not sure whether I should be insulted or complimented that he thinks I would be comfortable talking to convicts.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Cool. Pre-gently caress your boss though.

:lol: I'm sure that I've bitched enough about her on this message board that if she had an account with archives there's no way she'd hire me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think I might wear that with a badge of honor if it happened. Denied job by state AG for shitposting on a dead comedy forum.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I'm an academic law librarian who has been called on to put together an upcoming legal practice technology class. It's a first for our school, and despite whatever grasp I have on legal bibliography and whatnot, I haven't worked in a firm before. I'm not completely starting from scratch at this point; I know more-or-less what software I'll need to go over and some of the key principles to talk about.

One topic I was hoping this thread might have some insight on is efficient use of common office-type software, chiefly Word, Excel, and Acrobat. I've read that new associates using them inefficiently is a headache, but I don't necessarily know what types of tasks they'll be expected to perform with them regularly.

Things for word: redlining, importance of version control, automated cross-references (if transactional), format painter, find and replace, how to create hotkeys.

Large firms have fancy add-ins, too, so just note their existence because I don’t really ever need to worry about styles or tables of contents.

Things for Excel: VLOOKUP, absolute v. relative references, I use excel to double check deadline calculations all the time, sorting and filtering.

PDF: bookmarks, OCR’ing text, combining/extracting pages and other good stuff to know if it’s late and assistants are not available.

Other things I’d consider adding are PACER, Secretary of State websites, Relativity, and DMS functionality.

The main gap I see is knowing how to navigate/find stuff in the DMS. If you’re at a large-ish firm, you should basically never need to start a document from scratch. Also great for finding intel on opposing counsel and the presiding judge.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Just saw someone that went to my law school is now an Assistant AG in the Northern Marianas. Shout out, island lawyers.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Omerta posted:

Large firms have fancy add-ins, too, so just note their existence because I don’t really ever need to worry about styles or tables of contents.

Every single one I've ever seen is massively inferior to (and harder to use than) the built in style/ToC functionality, though.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

My next questions will probably be more along the lines of what features of Clio translate to other case management stuff, what level of detail to get into about litigation and case analytics, cloud storage security, but I'll wait until I can really even articulate the questions.

Speaking of this, can anyone recommend good case management software to look at for a smallish firm?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
My mom and her partner use Clio, not sure how well it scales tho

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I'm an academic law librarian who has been called on to put together an upcoming legal practice technology class. It's a first for our school, and despite whatever grasp I have on legal bibliography and whatnot, I haven't worked in a firm before. I'm not completely starting from scratch at this point; I know more-or-less what software I'll need to go over and some of the key principles to talk about.

One topic I was hoping this thread might have some insight on is efficient use of common office-type software, chiefly Word, Excel, and Acrobat. I've read that new associates using them inefficiently is a headache, but I don't necessarily know what types of tasks they'll be expected to perform with them regularly.

Assign Matthew Butterick’s Typography for Lawyers. This covers Word use and how to make your documents not look like hot garbage.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Also never assign anything from Bryan Garner.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

EwokEntourage posted:

Speaking of this, can anyone recommend good case management software to look at for a smallish firm?

I use CLIO at my office. While expensive (ugh so expensive), I really think it offers the best suite when it comes to billing, cloud storage, etc. I've asked around for alternatives to CLIO but they're all hot garbage.

Their app is horrible though for some reason. Like, way worse than the actual site to the point I just pull up the site instead of wasting time using the app.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Had someone casually slip into a FOIA request today that at this time they were definitely not considering suicide. They also CCed over 500 state gov email addresses including I think every public email in the state legislature. Did he create joinder with all of us???

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nonexistence posted:

Had someone casually slip into a FOIA request today that at this time they were definitely not considering suicide. They also CCed over 500 state gov email addresses including I think every public email in the state legislature. Did he create joinder with all of us???

Maybe? Should probably send out the police for a wellness check. Whenever someone threatens suicide at us, we gotta call the cops on them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

sullat posted:

Maybe? Should probably send out the police for a wellness check. Whenever someone threatens suicide at us, we gotta call the cops on them.

Same. Those mass CC's are annoying.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Got an email with this title from a recruiter and immediately thought of this thread:

"Rear opportunity to be groomed for partnership by the Global Chair of the Practice Group"

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
I guess that’s why they talked about my past as a newspaper editor in my interview.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Entry level wages here in town seem to be between 40-50k for starting attorneys. :lol:

On the plus side, i can negotiate zero retirement and healthcare benefits with the private employer as a way to increase my takehome but still, just :lol:

I could have probably just got a one year MS in applied economics and already make more than double or triple what i’m looking to make starting out.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Entry level wages here in town seem to be between 40-50k for starting attorneys. :lol:

On the plus side, i can negotiate zero retirement and healthcare benefits with the private employer as a way to increase my takehome but still, just :lol:

I could have probably just got a one year MS in applied economics and already make more than double or triple what i’m looking to make starting out.

Are there a bunch of applied economics jobs in your town? Most attorneys making big money from the start work in major urban centers, as do most econ people, I suspect.

Also, should have read the OP!!!

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

My observation of state jobs for attorneys (Tennessee) looks similar. 45-55k range. But yeah, economists or financial analysts for departments or the Dept of Revenue are typically 65k+.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Look Sir Droids posted:

My observation of state jobs for attorneys (Tennessee) looks similar. 45-55k range. But yeah, economists or financial analysts for departments or the Dept of Revenue are typically 65k+.

Exactly. State level financial analyst spots are 10-20k higher than the respective entry level attorney spots not to mention the difference in the private market.

A lot of the non-state law jobs around here for entry level attorneys pay less than the state does. The max pay for any state position so far is 49,9. :lol:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vox Nihili posted:

Are there a bunch of applied economics jobs in your town? Most attorneys making big money from the start work in major urban centers, as do most econ people, I suspect.

Also, should have read the OP!!!

Oh i did just remarking cause it’s funny to me. I remember all of the conversations i had here prior to starting school. Thankfully I really don’t give a gently caress about the pay (i’m never going to be rich and don’t care about it) and i’m glad to be able to help out the fellow vets and such so far.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh i did just remarking cause it’s funny to me. I remember all of the conversations i had here prior to starting school. Thankfully I really don’t give a gently caress about the pay (i’m never going to be rich and don’t care about it) and i’m glad to be able to help out the fellow vets and such so far.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah it was absolutely a job crushing pro se inmates when they file complaints.

Sad commentary on how we treat veterans in this country.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Last law school final tonight. Should have done a masters. :shrug:

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

You deserve everything you've received.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toona the Cat posted:

Last law school final tonight. Should have done a masters. :shrug:

Plenty of years left to burn with more schooling. You could even meet a new study partner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I'm honestly thinking of going back to school because my (somewhat limited) job searching has proved pretty fruitless. Maybe something economy or accounting related, since you can't sneeze around here as a econ/business sleazeball without someone offering a tissue and a job. I'd need something where I could sort of combine it with my master's degree and attourney experience though, and I'm not really sure what would be best since I also loving hate number crunching.

At least I have a sweet new avatar courtesy of me berating scandigoons for opining about law-adjacent stuff.