Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Appetizer P. Neur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Anyone else find it disconcerting that everyone's joking about HH "never getting cancelled"?

If they didn't come out with a premium version of HH I'd be concerned, but since they did I think the boys are gonna be alright.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I haven't listened but I hope Sean's incredible "pokemon go keeps making me gently caress my dad" character makes a return

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The Devil is active

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Unmature posted:

You're pitching a car!

"No, listen: Someone would get in the car...poo poo!"

Ego is the best new Earwolf regular in a while.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

JethroMcB posted:

"No, listen: Someone would get in the car...poo poo!"

Ego is the best new Earwolf regular in a while.

She's so loving good on The Teacher's Lounge

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ArtVandelay posted:

Well, this has got to be the most disappointingly terrible anniversary/holiday episode the show has done so far. It seems like that's what Scott was going for, so good for him?

Yeah, I have to agree... I like Zeke and Ego's characters, but weren't their best ones. And as much as I like PFT and Lauren Lapkus, they were kind of lowballing it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pretty good ep, but it peaked so early that the rest was all pretty comparatively disappointing. You can't just give me The Boys then take 'em away.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I think the exact opposite here I think. I don't know why Scott has been pushing Ego on us so hard, I haven't heard her say a single funny thing in any of her appearances. Shawn diston has his moments, but Rudy North gets less funny as his story gets more insane.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Everyone plugging other podcasts that aren't their own at the end was great.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Tavarin posted:

Everyone plugging other podcasts that aren't their own at the end was great.
the entirety of the plugs section was very funny. i am judging people who didn't enjoy this episode cause it was great.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

ArtVandelay posted:

I think the exact opposite here I think. I don't know why Scott has been pushing Ego on us so hard, I haven't heard her say a single funny thing in any of her appearances. Shawn diston has his moments, but Rudy North gets less funny as his story gets more insane.

I was bored by her previous appearances but I thought she was really funny this time.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

This probably would have been GOAT if the boys stayed on for the whole ep. Sean was really good interacting with the guests on that one ep

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm so glad PFT made a point of clarifying that Manson never personally killed anyone.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm so glad PFT made a point of clarifying that Manson never personally killed anyone.

I did laugh really hard at, "Finally, we can rest assured that Charles Manson got a happy ending!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Who knows less about Charles Manson: Scott Aukerman or Madeline Walter?

LesterGroans posted:

She's so loving good on The Teacher's Lounge

"I have a daughter; fifteen pounds were gained by that daughter. Why?"

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

This episode was very funny

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
can't wait for this episode celebrating 9 years of CBB, the show with a canon of characters callbacks and in-jokes rivaling the very comic book industry loved by its host (dear boy)

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Contrarian opinion: I don’t get Hollywood Handbook and the least funny part of this episode was their intro and outro.

The rest was A+++

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Have you tried listening to 20+ episodes until it becomes your favorite podcast? It worked for me.

Some call it Stockholm syndrome, some call it a fanbase.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I seriously didn't get it until I listened to about 15 episodes, but I kept going because I have a buddy who kept insisting how funny it was. It probably took me a year to get through that many episodes, and suddenly it clicked. It's my favorite podcast now, not counting golden era UTU2TM.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

I started with the Boys back in the Reality Show Show days. I was a little hesitant about the new format at first, but it didn't take long to get fully on board. The episode premises are so loose and weird but also very funny with the right mindset, so it's hard to really explain to someone else why its so funny. Sean cooking eggs and chasing kites and going into the church in Big Apple Bible is like peak podcast.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

i am the bird posted:

Contrarian opinion: I don’t get Hollywood Handbook and the least funny part of this episode was their intro and outro.

The rest was A+++

It's bad, I've tried multiple times listening to more episodes than I can remember and it's just not good. The "joke" is one note, there isn't anything to get. I think people like it like they like their morning radio shows, they become familiar with the "characters" and enjoy them. Don't try to make jokes about how bad the show is here, people get real stupid about it. I did enjoy the opening bit though, but that was because Scott and the gang were making GBS threads all over HH for a good while.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think the appeal that other podcasts lack is that HH regularly talks poo poo about Earwolf, fellow podcasts, and other comedians. It's incredibly niche in general, but it also seems to have the highest chances of listener crossover because of all the Earwolf-centric jokes. It's also the snarkiest and most cynical of the Earwolf fam (and one of the goofiest), which is going to land with a lot of SomethingAwful.

The two episodes that sealed the deal for me was the episode with the Teen Pope script reading with Brian Huskey, and the Premium episode where they put Aukerman in his place by stealing the REM podcast.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The show has deviated from any sort of format. Earlier episodes had segments and the popcorn gallery but at this point it's a mixed bag everyweek. There was a period of time where the show felt pretty aimless and like they didn't really enjoy doing it anymore but they've since gotten back on track and I think it's as funny as it's ever been.

If you don't like The Boys then I just feel bad for you.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Yeah

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Now that I'm fully on board for the boys, where would be a good Reality Show Show episode to give that show another shot? I couldn't get into it before because I didn't fully understand their humor AND the world of reality TV is utterly foreign to me. So I had no idea what they were talking about and what was a bit and what wasn't 99% of the time.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Franchescanado posted:

I think the appeal that other podcasts lack is that HH regularly talks poo poo about Earwolf, fellow podcasts, and other comedians. It's incredibly niche in general, but it also seems to have the highest chances of listener crossover because of all the Earwolf-centric jokes.

They are the glue connecting the earwolf podcast universe together.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

feedmyleg posted:

Now that I'm fully on board for the boys, where would be a good Reality Show Show episode to give that show another shot? I couldn't get into it before because I didn't fully understand their humor AND the world of reality TV is utterly foreign to me. So I had no idea what they were talking about and what was a bit and what wasn't 99% of the time.

The one where they talk about Gigolos I think

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.

feedmyleg posted:

IMO real Hollywood Handbook style humor starts from episode 10 on. I love every RSS episode though

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

feedmyleg posted:

Any installment where they talk about MTV's The Challenge, which may be one of the only things they genuinely enjoy in the entire world. "I Have 30 Companies" has some good Challenge stuff in it, particularly a discussion of the titular quote. It's also very late in the RSS run when proto-Handbook tendencies are creeping in (i.e., explaining to Gabrus that whenever they don't want to talk about a show again, they just claim it's "too scary," and then wondering out loud if they lean on that bit too much.)

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Uh what happened to cbb? It’s been 2 weeks and no new episodes...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Check your feeds, its been on time. Yesterday they had Michael Ian Black and Nick Thune.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
and the week before that was the 9th anniversary show

the highlight of yesterday's episode was Aukerman berating Nick Thune for how lovely his tour is going to be and how poorly he's promoting it

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Featured some purestrain bit derailment too. Throw in a weird detail at your peril, improvisers!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Seaniqua posted:

and the week before that was the 9th anniversary show

the highlight of yesterday's episode was Aukerman berating Nick Thune for how lovely his tour is going to be and how poorly he's promoting it

That and talking so much poo poo about Michael Ian Black and then talking poo poo with Michael Ian Black.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Why don't you ask Sailor Moon?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Why don't you ask Sailor Moon?

Whoa I missed this. What was the context?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ad for the tux company in the latest CBB.

Sean asked about a tuxedo mask, Scott went "huh?" and Sean whispered that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ad for the tux company in the latest CBB.

Sean asked about a tuxedo mask, Scott went "huh?" and Sean whispered that.

Hah, that was in the ten seconds I walked away from my phone during that ad. That's awesome.

I forget how old Scott is most of the time. His recent appearances on Raised By TV and Screw It We're Just Gonna Talk About Spider-Man reminded me too.