Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Condiv posted:

it wouldn't in the short term, but it might mean the dems could be reformed. bad dems like manchin hanging on to power means no reform to the dems, and they keep getting worse for immigrants. again, nice try using them as a shield while supporting a racist.

The way to get rid of bad dems is primaries. This falls on voters to punish the electeds that are not representing their values.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Voting them out in the general seems like a potential strategy too, with like, a different party or something

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Control Volume posted:

Voting them out in the general seems like a potential strategy too, with like, a different party or something

This thread is giving me a headache.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

VitalSigns posted:

It would be the same for immigrants.

That's a bad thing that the party is supporting the Republican position on immigrants, mcmagic.
If you don't vote for labour camps you're actively supporting extermination camps!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Control Volume posted:

That sounds great, potentially.

Unfortunately both parties have rigged the system so that's not a realistic option without passing reforms that you actually have to have political power to implement.

Hence the DSA's strategy of working with the Democrats.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im just saying, if someones single issue is immigration, and theyre given a choice between manchin, a republican, and some guy who says he doesnt want to blackbag all the muslims, theres only one real choice

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

What you posted is not me saying:

I've highlighted the weasel words you've added to my arguments. That's a strawman.

I'm going with B at this point, that you don't even realize you're doing this.

by voting for oligarchs trying to strip us of democracy, you are supporting them jaxyon. you insist upon the lesser evil strategy, which literally insists we vote for and support these oligarchs if they are in the GE. and a lot will be. so yes, you're arguing for supporting oligarchs. maybe you should drop such a simple-minded approach as lesser evilism if you don't want to support oligarchs or advocate for them?

mcmagic posted:

The way to get rid of bad dems is primaries. This falls on voters to punish the electeds that are not representing their values.

which they're doing everything they can in their power to make ineffective and not allow voters to punish electeds. so lets see, your timetable for wresting control of the party from racists that treat immigrants like poo poo like manchin is what? 20-30 years if we're lucky? i'm sure the people in ICE detention will thank you for sticking to trying to change the party under its own lopsided rules.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
*pouts 3rd parties into power wiping out election laws with the power of positive thinking*

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

*pouts 3rd parties into power wiping out election laws with the power of positive thinking*

That seems unproductive. I think voting for third parties would be more effective if you pursue this strategy

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

sounds more realistic than *pushes the dem party left with the power of positive thinking*. wonder why you subscribe to such a silly notion

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Condiv posted:

by voting for oligarchs trying to strip us of democracy, you are supporting them jaxyon. you insist upon the lesser evil strategy, which literally insists we vote for and support these oligarchs if they are in the GE. and a lot will be. so yes, you're arguing for supporting oligarchs. maybe you should drop such a simple-minded approach as lesser evilism if you don't want to support oligarchs or advocate for them?

You said:

quote:

by insisting that we vote for dems at all times you are indeed saying to vote for oligarchs.

That's not what I said, it's a strawman.

You said:

quote:

and you're saying to support them in their attempts to destroy democracy by giving them political power

And that's not what I said it's a strawman.

You're now making the argument that the result of my position is these things, 100%, because working in absolutes and strawmen is how you likely justify your worldview.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Condiv posted:

sounds more realistic than *pushes the dem party left with the power of positive thinking*. wonder why you subscribe to such a silly notion

Neither is realistic, but I never said to do the latter. Notice how again, only the strawmen aimed at you matter. There's a reason why I put that one there.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im kind of lost here. I dont think strawmen can vote, why is there such a large focus on their opinions now?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

To be quite frank I dont think the straw men care much one way or the other anyways, as most politicians dont have any opinions or policies catering to them

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

You said:

That's not what I said, it's a strawman.

You said:

And that's not what I said it's a strawman.

both are in fact what you said. you can't say "always vote for democrats!" and expect to get a pass on advocating for voting for the oligarchs the dems will push through jaxyon. don't be naive. likewise, you can't advocate for voting for oligarchs and at the same time claim you're not supporting them and giving them poltiical power with which to attack democracy jaxyon. don't be naive.

quote:

You're now making the argument that the result of my position is these things, 100%, because working in absolutes and strawmen is how you likely justify your worldview.

there are unchallenged oligarchs in the upcoming primaries so yes, the result of your position is support of oligarchs. sorry jaxyon, that's how the cookie crumbles. maybe you should reconsider absolute support of dem politicians in the GE?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

Neither is realistic, but I never said to do the latter. Notice how again, only the strawmen aimed at you matter. There's a reason why I put that one there.

you sure did. when you said to change the party by pushing left but never ever by not voting for a dem in the ge. if such a strategy worked, it would've borne fruit by now. instead, the dems have circled the wagons and refuse to change. so your strategy does in fact boil down to "push the dems left with the power of positive thoughts"

congrats!

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Seems like the people opposed to "lesser evil voting" keep implying that a poo poo tier Republican getting elected has better long term gains than voting in a less than ideal Democrat. Which seems like a really sly way of just making sure Republicans get elected.

I especially liked the poster presented with "Option A: you die and Option B: you die after a longer period of time" and they said "gently caress you I'm not playing."

Like, omegalul dude that wasn't a choice. Then you're probably just picking A in that scenario.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Condiv posted:

both are in fact what you said.

No. Go ahead and quote me saying those things.

Control Volume posted:

Im kind of lost here. I dont think strawmen can vote, why is there such a large focus on their opinions now?

Basically it's easier to argue against what you want people to say then what they actually do

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Grimdude posted:

Seems like the people opposed to "lesser evil voting" keep implying that a poo poo tier Republican getting elected has better long term gains than voting in a less than ideal Democrat. Which seems like a really sly way of just making sure Republicans get elected.

I especially liked the poster presented with "Option A: you die and Option B: you die after a longer period of time" and they said "gently caress you I'm not playing."

Like, omegalul dude that wasn't a choice. Then you're probably just picking A in that scenario.

You missed where the "you die" part is almost certainly not applying to them in either scenario.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

self unaware posted:

lol that thinking dems saying a thing means they are going to do it

Never trust the vile lying dem, for he speaks only as a snake does, and then lies with Satan.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

No. Go ahead and quote me saying those things.

already did jaxyon.

Grimdude posted:

but it is a choice. things aren't as binary as you're trying to claim they are, and if they are we might as well give in to fate and die now than die later.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Condiv posted:

already did jaxyon

Except, you didn't. You quoted me saying other things, which you interpreted as saying something different.

That's called a strawman.

It's cool, if you're not interested in actually being honest we're done.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

Except, you didn't. You quoted me saying other things, which you interpreted as saying something different.

That's called a strawman.

It's cool, if you're not interested in actually being honest we're done.

i've explained how what you've said results in those things jaxyon. it's too bad you never decided to be honest in your discussions here, but oh well. i hope you reconsider your support of oligarchs

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just gonna leave this here. A disgusting corporate grifter who calls himself a progressive is likely to get the Dem nom for the Governorship.

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2018/05/01/shri-thanedar-leads-democrats-in-latest-michigan-governors-race-poll

If Dem voters are so low-information that they won't punish pols with bad values and can't distinguish the con from the real it's hard not to pull a McMagic and start to despair.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If voters are dumb it's because the society they live in has made them so, and that society is a product mostly of the government.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If voters are dumb it's because the society they live in has made them so, and that society is a product mostly of the government.

That's not even the problem, the real problem is that there's a very easy way to get dumb votes and it's called screaming "those fuckers, our poo poo" over and over and over and the Dems refuse to do it because their donors are the fuckers who own our poo poo.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dem primary voters and the party are pro dog torture.

Democrats will never help the Dreamers since there are way too valuable as hostages and wouldn't want to force Red State Democrats to do anything.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 1, 2018

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

:wrong:

Government is both influenced and an influencer. There's not going to be a one main reason but if you're going to pick one, capitalism is a better bet.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hell, lets replace them both

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

Never trust the vile lying dem, for he speaks only as a snake does, and then lies with Satan.

this but unironically, and about all registered dems

OwlFancier posted:

lol at thinking it's possible for humans to not be dumb

there's a reason democracy isn't compatible with an ecologically sustainable society

Grimdude posted:

I'm the guy who describes politicians with decades of racist policy, warmongering and completely selling out to corporations as "less than ideal" and then doesn't understand why people won't vote for his preferred candidate

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 1, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

:wrong:

Government is both influenced and an influencer. There's not going to be a one main reason but if you're going to pick one, capitalism is a better bet.

Capitalism is by defniition a description of a directionless process, however, and thus it is about as useful to complain about as gravity, or a finite human lifespan, or the fact that we aren't telepathic. The government is not directionless force, and thus it falls to it to improve society. Failure to do so or even to attempt it is an indictment of its competency.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

Republicans won and there is an ethnic cleansing squad terrorizing people all over the country. Dismissing that as :ohdear: is loving vile.

ah yes and ICE is a uniquely republican gestapo

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
is there a more bad dem opinion than "but Trump gave us ICE!!"

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

self unaware posted:

is there a more bad dem opinion than "but Trump gave us ICE!!"

Yeah, "dems are basically as bad as Republicans"

but by bad I mean privileged

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah, "dems are basically as bad as Republicans"

but by bad I mean privileged

well at least that's true. i mean, if you put the basically there it's not even an argument

I'd tell you the dems are worse

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I really don't think it can be understated that the Democratic party does more to damage social progress in the country than the GOP could ever hope to. The GOP openly opposes social progress and people who want that vote for it, and largely get it. The Democrats openly support social progress, people vote for them, and they stab them in the back time and time again. The Democrats have shown time and time again that they are not willing to fight for minorities, the poor, or any other disenfranchised person unless they absolutely have to. You can see it with the "evolution" on same sex marriage.

It shocks me that people like botany, who clearly pays some attention to politics, can actually come in here with a straight face and try to pretend like if the Democrats say something they are going to do something. Don't give me this "but they are election promises, you're supposed to expect they are lying". What am I supposed to believe is true exactly? Why should I believe Hillary wants to fight for minorities when she has a long history of the opposite and her predecessor went hole hog on ramping up ICE detention centers when he should have been marching with unions like he said he would.

How many times are you suckers going to keep voting for people who openly lie to you over and over again and continuously pursue only ONE agenda, which is that of the oligarchs who own the vast majority of wealth in this country.

I mean gently caress, a "flawed" candidate would be a loving massive step in the right direction. Democratic candidates aren't flawed, they are evil people hell bent on creating the world's first quadrillionaire at any cost, even the entire planet.

90s Rememberer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 2, 2018

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I like how the same persons who loudly proclaim that dissatisfaction with democrats is a white, privileged person type of thing are the same who had meltdowns when dreamers protested Pelosi and Schumer.

A reminder:

https://twitter.com/ErikaAndiola/status/962052816230531072

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

self unaware posted:

well at least that's true. i mean, if you put the basically there it's not even an argument

I'd tell you the dems are worse

LOL how far do you have to be up your own rear end to believe this stuff.

self unaware posted:

How many times are you suckers going to keep voting for people who openly lie to you over and over again and continuously pursue only ONE agenda, which is that of the oligarchs who own the vast majority of wealth in this country.

Galaxy brain: Money is a big thing in politics.

Thanks man, you're really opening my mind here.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Have you considered.....maybe a lot of politicians are corrupt?

Makes you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Rememberer
Nov 30, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Voting for corrupt politicians hell bent on allowing our current dystopia to keep getting worse to own the conservatives

Like fine, all politicans are corrupt and nothing matters. Just don't vote Dem.

• Locked thread