Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I played it a bit on the 3DS just before getting a Switch and though it was decent but also that it would benefit a lot from higher resolution and a bigger screen...same as I feel about most 3DS games.

It would help, but wont fix that the game becomes worse as it progresses with every new thing mercury stream added

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Barudak posted:

It would help, but wont fix that the game becomes worse as it progresses with every new thing mercury stream added

I disagree, I think a lot of the new mechanics are pretty fun to mess with on repeat playthroughs, like punching through frozen enemies with the melee counter while jumping to keep your speed up.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Spin-off game with Wind Waker Zelda as the main character where you sail around doing cool pirate stuff and explore for buried treasure on land.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Lumines got delayed a month.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:livintrope:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Documented and Provable History of Link

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

MarcusSA posted:

Oh gently caress I’m ordering this right now! This is perfect. The grip I ordered seems to work OK but I wanted something with a bit more grip to it. This seems perfect!

Omg you can pay with Apple Pay through the website?? My mind is blown.

It’s actually not a decent deal too. It’s only about $10 more vs a case / grips by them selves.

A few pages late, but Indiegogo isn't a store and don't expect any hardware you order from there :v: It's a lower-budget Kickstarter site only that they have a "Flexible Funding" where even if they don't meet their goal they still get to keep your money.

Check the comments on that project, there's already a bunch of people who haven't gotten theirs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kazy posted:

A few pages late, but Indiegogo isn't a store and don't expect any hardware you order from there :v: It's a lower-budget Kickstarter site only that they have a "Flexible Funding" where even if they don't meet their goal they still get to keep your money.

Check the comments on that project, there's already a bunch of people who haven't gotten theirs.

Well thats $46 I won't be getting back lol.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

MarcusSA posted:

Well thats $46 I won't be getting back lol.

Just to put your mind at ease, I got mine on Indiegogo in about 2 weeks (it ships from China) a few months ago with no issues other than the tracking being a dicey and convoluted mess.

I would recommend grabbing it from Amazon Prime for anyone else thinking of getting one.
https://www.amazon.com/Skull-Co-GripCase-Set-Comfortable/dp/B078WGT97X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

EDIT:
It's a nice setup with some minor flaws I touched on here:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3826496&userid=88253#post481467464

Tsar Mikey fucked around with this message at 02:37 on May 2, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

X-Ultron posted:

Just to put your mind at ease, I got mine on Indiegogo in about 2 weeks (it ships from China) a few months ago with no issues other than the tracking being a dicey and convoluted mess.

I would recommend grabbing it from Amazon Prime for anyone else thinking of getting one.
https://www.amazon.com/Skull-Co-GripCase-Set-Comfortable/dp/B078WGT97X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8

Yeah I read through the comments on the indie site and it was just people bitching.

I would have ordered it from amazon though to get it sooner but either way it looks like a great Grip/ Case combo.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I would just be careful about the general reviews. Run all of your amazon purchases through reviewmeta or something similar so you can see how many fake reviews there are. That one fails.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Not sure if these are available in NA but Hori makes soft joycon grips that look decent.

What do people make of that revised joycon rumor that's been going around recently? Makes me feel like I should wait a little longer in case their is a revision.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Pegnose Pete posted:

Not sure if these are available in NA but Hori makes soft joycon grips that look decent.

What do people make of that revised joycon rumor that's been going around recently? Makes me feel like I should wait a little longer in case their is a revision.

Don't know about a revision, but whatever big game comes out will have special colored joycons, so it's always good to hold off this close to e3.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've heard they are reworking the left joycon. But unless someone figures out what serial number the first ones are, there's probably no way to know if you're getting a new one or an old one. Unless they come out with new colors that are guaranteed to be the new ones.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Queen Combat posted:

I would just be careful about the general reviews. Run all of your amazon purchases through reviewmeta or something similar so you can see how many fake reviews there are. That one fails.

Thanks for making me aware of that site!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Oh good I get to have a proper life for another month then. I should fix my pro controller though I got one of those 8bitdo remakes and oh it's so nice. Missed that D pad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

jackhunter64 posted:

smh if you don't rotate a 42 inch flatscreen TV for this.
I had a 27” CRT that weighed like 90 pounds rotated for Ikaruga. TVs have come a long way since the DC release.

Barudak posted:

Everything in the game is about color swapping in enemy patterns of three which the game cant therefore ever vary from and with nothing random, leading to the game having an almost QTE/Rythm game feeling and a strict scoring system that rewards only that. Watch a highscore run and youll see how controlled it is versus other shmups.

That said thats at pretty high level, the averag person will have fun with its color swap mechanics and short length.
Yeah the key is that’s for high level play. If you’re not there, you can still have fun with it just loving around without caring about the scoring system, or if you do get into it, the fun/challenge is in learning and executing a pattern that works for you. To an extent a lot of arcade shmups come down to learning the game enough that to essentially becomes a pattern, Ikaruga just tightens it up or makes it explicit enough that it can turn people off.

Curious about the short length argument though. Compared to usual console games nowadays yeah, but in the context of arcade shmups it’s around average or on the longer end other than two loop games. Like I think Psikyo stuff is around 15 minutes, Cave around 20, Ikaruga is about 25. In any case they’re all about replay value of course. I think I played over 100 hours on the DC and GC versions way back.

njsykora posted:

The memorisation aspect also led to one player having a complete loving meltdown over the Xbox Live Arcade version because they mirrored one of the levels.

njsykora posted:

The Ikaruga thing was the top player then on Xbox Live (so the best player at that version of the game) putting in his profile.

"The XBLA version of Ikaruga is a horrible port, this isn't Ikaruga, this is Ikaruga LOL."

Our gamer meltdowns were a bit more contained in 2008.
This might be one of those high level player things, cause I don’t remember anything remotely as drastic as a mirrored level. What I do recall is something like how the charged lasers targeted enemies was different/bugged...but knowing how those things target stuff and being able to use it for precise chaining in the first place is a relatively high level technique. I don’t think I ever got into the XBLA one enough to notice the difference myself, I might vaguely recall thinking something was funky on a part for me, but overall it was fine and my skills were deteriorated to the point I didn’t care that much if I was running into the issue. For the principle I hope it’s fixed, but it’s Nicalis so I wouldn’t expect it.

Anyway since they’re talking to Treasure I hope they port Radiant Silvergun too. And Nintendo should bring the Sin and Punishment games over!

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://gonintendo.com/stories/308221-nintendo-s-next-president-on-bringing-switch-to-new-countries-pl

quote:

The following comes from Nintendo's next president, Shuntaro Furukawa...

- Switch is on sale in 50 countries now
- the goal is to start selling it in the Middle East And South East Asia

huh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

japtor posted:

Curious about the short length argument though. Compared to usual console games nowadays yeah, but in the context of arcade shmups it’s around average or on the longer end other than two loop games. Like I think Psikyo stuff is around 15 minutes, Cave around 20, Ikaruga is about 25. In any case they’re all about replay value of course. I think I played over 100 hours on the DC and GC versions way back.

You know, I think its fair for its era and style its a good length. I was mentally comparing it to some more recent titles in the Shmup category with more replayability features (ships, patterns, etc) and some shmups that have RPG elements to pad gameplay.

You really don't need to worry about how the high-level scoring works as a new player; its hard enough to just win.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Balls! Flipping Death was set to launch May 22 but now it's been pushed back to Q1 2018. The one Nindie I'm really looking forward to.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So we have a bootloader for the Switch

Homebrew coming.
Time to get your ROM on.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Cool time to load 2000 ROMs and play a dozen of them for 5 minutes each

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
tempted to buy another switch so I have a legit one with my nintendo account and then a hacked to gently caress one

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Is there a homebrew thread for the Switch? Because I'm not interested in reading pages upon pages of posts about emulation and piracy.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
you can skip past the posts tho???

Spellman
May 31, 2011

George is gettin upset

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Is there a homebrew thread for the Switch? Because I'm not interested in reading pages upon pages of posts about emulation and piracy.

It's not piracy it's "homebrew" (lol)

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

:airquote: backups :airquote:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

Nintendo Homebrew

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
was Nintendo even trying to lock this thing down

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

finally, Virtual Console comes to the Switch (you just have to short out these pins and install something made by a guy named Phe4rMySkillz)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheScott2K posted:

was Nintendo even trying to lock this thing down

It's an nVidia bug, not a Nintendo bug.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

It's an nVidia bug, not a Nintendo bug.

But have you ever seen Nvidia and Nintendo in the same room at the same time

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

*installs cracked Windows*

Heh, was M$ even trying!?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Like yeah we're gonna get the standard NES, SNES emulators happening, but what I'm excited to see just how far up the Nintendo console family tree we'll hit with emulators. I'll be seriously impressed if Dolphin gets running at reasonable rate.
Maybe we'll even see DS/3DS emulation via tate mode which would be insane.

Nintendo LABO up a cardboard Virtual Boy headset, pop in a Switch and away you go.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i just want to play Link to the Past on my switch but Nintendo won't fuckin let me

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

eonwe posted:

i just want to play Link to the Past on my switch but Nintendo won't fuckin let me

lmbo

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Takoluka posted:

*installs cracked Windows*

Heh, was M$ even trying!?

Microsoft's console has been out for 4 years and nobody's running pirated games on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

TheScott2K posted:

Microsoft's console has been out for 4 years and nobody's running pirated games on it

Nobody’s running much of anything on the Bone though.

• Locked thread