Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Psion posted:

yeah I also just did it and all I can say for it is "nobody died."

I did complete all the objectives so now I am space rich. Bonus?

Yeah I'll just get all the cash objectives no big deal

(five minutes later)

Destroy everything.

Yes, Dekker, EVERYTHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Xarbala posted:

You're thinking of the Grand Titan.

The Grand Crusader has metal joints, beat him up and earn 15 silver points.

Holy poo poo, I want this dopey thing in my game now.

edit: both of them

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

God drat it I assassinate an Orion, get three pieces available, and get two of them (which I guaranteed myself). I'm never getting a loving heavy :argh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

though tbh the Grand Crusader is probably Robo considering the stuff on its back and the shape of its belly but I couldn't help it

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

God drat it I assassinate an Orion, get three pieces available, and get two of them (which I guaranteed myself). I'm never getting a loving heavy :argh:

Read the mission briefs. They'll usually give you some clues about the enemy force. If it mentions heavy mechs, mash that salvage slider all the way to the right.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just had a Commando punch my first Heavy into a knockdown. God loving damnit.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Just had a Commando punch my first Heavy into a knockdown. God loving damnit.

You can get a cheevo for killing an assault with a light in melee

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Read the mission briefs. They'll usually give you some clues about the enemy force. If it mentions heavy mechs, mash that salvage slider all the way to the right.

Note that this will often lead you into a mission where the "heavy Mech" is actually a Demolisher or Schrek, so be prepared to be really grumpy about it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Skippy McPants posted:

Except sometime what the Local Government SWEARS to you is a Heavy Mech turns out to be a Schrek PPC Carrier or Manticore :v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Ravenfood posted:

Note that this will often lead you into a mission where the "heavy Mech" is actually a Demolisher or Schrek, so be prepared to be really grumpy about it.
The higher you slam that salvage bar up the closer to 100% the chance of it just being a vehicle is :mad:

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
Is there an open campaign in this game? By that I mean, is the campaign linear or a dynamic open map thing?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's dedicated story missions to gate the difficulty, but it's pretty open ended. Push through just past the prison break to get the best experience if you just want to gently caress around.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
The Jagermech JM6-S makes me want to kill myself. It's so bad.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Pattonesque posted:

remember how in MW4: Mercs you got so many Arguses that they were basically a form of currency?

Oh thank god this wasn't just my imagination for being one of the few things I remember from my playthrough.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I swear, every time I DFA, it feels like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuQZcORa3Wo&t=157s

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Section Z posted:

Oh thank god this wasn't just my imagination for being one of the few things I remember from my playthrough.

Castle was your secret company MVP because she somehow negotiated crazy salvage rights on every mission, to the point where you'd be pulling down hellaciously valuable clantech like Mad Cats and Lokis and just immediately offloading them because you're swimming in Fafnirs and Annihilators and the like

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
So Dekker is in a Grasshopper I have named the Jumpy rear end in a top hat (5 MLasers and 6 Flamers) and just DFA'd an Atlas.

The only problem is that it was his second DFA of the mission, so after landing it and firing his flamers both his legs snapped like matchsticks and he fell over, out of the fight. Glitch then radio'd "Well, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence."

Worth it, though, as the flamers cooked off the Atlas' SRM and LRM ammo for two pilot hits, then made him unsteady so when Glitch unloaded a salvo from the 3-LRM20 Highlander I named All The Missiles he fell over for a third pilot hit and lost a side torso for another, and now I have an Atlas.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Arsonide posted:

Is there an open campaign in this game? By that I mean, is the campaign linear or a dynamic open map thing?

A mix of both, there are linear campaign missions but you can also put them off indefinitely to play random missions. Parts of the open map are sealed off until you finish the campaign (which is about 30-40 hours). I just finished it but haven't played around the open sections yet (but will probably start a new playthrough to fix some bad choices).

It was a bit odd that apart from the one mandatory early mission I don't think I saw any other lunar maps during the whole campaign. I was expecting one of the later missions to be one based on the pre-mission briefing but it turned out to be a forested moon.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I see they did a good job of establishing the Taurians are utterly insane paranoiacs. Also this campaign ignoring insane grogs getting angry about a new Periphery state, the losses from the main campaign probably explain why nothing important happens from 3025 onwards in the reaches...

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Has anyone seen any missions being offered by the Lyran Commonwealth or the Draconis Combine? I notice they have a reputation meter but it's kinda far from their space and I haven't seen any jobs for them yet. Wondering if they're in the game now or if this is just HBS future proofing.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

NmareBfly posted:

Just did Smithion and it was a nail biter. :stare:

Here's how it ended:

Given all this, I imagine the post-Smithon cutscene was especially poignant.

Kamea: We just fought and bled to free your world, including these mercenaries, two of whom are dead. How about some respect?

Karosas: You aren't the only one with dead, girl, and it's war. I'll give you what you need if you give me what I want.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Has anyone seen any missions being offered by the Lyran Commonwealth or the Draconis Combine? I notice they have a reputation meter but it's kinda far from their space and I haven't seen any jobs for them yet. Wondering if they're in the game now or if this is just HBS future proofing.

I do think Kurita and Steiner contacts can show up once you can get into Davion and Marik space - their assets are in the game files and Darius even talks about how Markham used to deal with the Kurita rep. "YOU LOOK NERVOUS, BOB KURITA. DO YOU WANT SOME WINE?"

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Promethium posted:

A mix of both, there are linear campaign missions but you can also put them off indefinitely to play random missions. Parts of the open map are sealed off until you finish the campaign (which is about 30-40 hours). I just finished it but haven't played around the open sections yet (but will probably start a new playthrough to fix some bad choices).

It was a bit odd that apart from the one mandatory early mission I don't think I saw any other lunar maps during the whole campaign. I was expecting one of the later missions to be one based on the pre-mission briefing but it turned out to be a forested moon.

Comedy answer. Much like how Urbanmechs break the AI from being so loving slow, Maybe the Moon's absolutely hosed penalties means the AI will overheat more often than average? (If we are not talking simple cosmetics where 'It's a moon biome, but it doesn't look like one').

I mean doing it AT ALL sends grognards into a frothing rage over "AI making bad tactical plays". So maybe they gotta keep that poo poo less common because even if the the AI had Skynet running risk assessments it would still get called dumb for overheating at any point for any reason. Or maybe it really does break their heat assessment in half and they would cook themselves to death given a late game assault lances, unlike an early game set enemies without enough firepower to make it a common concern.

The irony which astounds me, given that deliberately overheating Glitch's vindicator was essential to making my repair bill that mission consist of "One leg missing from shadowhawk. I also overheated the vindicator... That's it." I'll play like a "poo poo AI" any day if it keeps getting me end results like that.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 2, 2018

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

Comedy answer. Much like how Urbanmechs break the AI from being so loving slow, Maybe the Moon's absolutely hosed penalties means the AI will overheat more often than average.

I mean doing it AT ALL sends grognards into a frothing rage over "AI making bad tactical plays". So maybe they gotta keep that poo poo rare because even if the the AI had Skynet running risk assessments it would still get called dumb for overheating at any point for any reason. Or maybe it really does break their heat assessment in half and they would cook themselves to death given a late game assault lance bristling with enough weapons to melt it's way to the center of the planet firing an alpha.

The irony which astounds me, given that deliberately overheating Glitch's vindicator was essential to making my repair bill that mission consist of "One leg missing from shadowhawk. I also overheated the vindicator... That's it." I'll play like a "poo poo AI" any day if it keeps getting me end results like that.

What’s strange to me is that they think a good ai in this case is some kind of infallible super computer rather than an attempt to replicate fighting against other humans. A good gaming ai should be able to make mistakes.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Promethium posted:

The best space-based map was the one from Mechwarrior 2: Mercs where you fought on a loving ice comet. It was amazing and if you hosed it up (occasionally you could completely blow missions and there would be an alternate campaign plot) you died outright when course corrections couldn't be made and the comet broke up when travelling past the sun.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Well-designed game AI will put up a good show but ultimately crumble to the player's obviously superior tactics. Even if the player's tactics are actually pretty naive.

This is especially applicable if you're making a game for grognards, who tend to have a lot of their identity and sense of self-worth wrapped up in their own perception of their intelligence.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Regarde Aduck posted:

What’s strange to me is that they think a good ai in this case is some kind of infallible super computer rather than an attempt to replicate fighting against other humans. A good gaming ai should be able to make mistakes.
If anything a "perfect AI" would potentially overheat itself CONSTANTLY, because it has reinforcements spawning in and it can afford to alpha itself half to death if it kills the player faster.

"Hmm, do I play cautious with my Jenner's heat? This mech has an incredibly demanding alpha-oh wait the Player has a sensor lock pilot waiting and enough moral for a called shot on my legs with the durability of a potato string. Better to burn out than fade away baby!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 2, 2018

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

How do people even overheat in Battletech if they are logical.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Argas posted:

Sometimes a thing needs to die RIGHT NOW.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Finally got my first headshot death. It was dekker in a full 5 pip evasion firestarter. So it goes

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Good god, I just fought my first Assault Lance.

King Crab is mighty. King Crab is also mine. Thanks, Glitch!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Argas posted:

It's fun.

No, honestly, it's when you start doing the mental math of, "can I afford to pay repairs on structural damage later in order to prevent possibly worse damage now" that overheating feels necessary.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jabor posted:

This is especially applicable if you're making a game for grognards, who tend to have a lot of their identity and sense of self-worth wrapped up in their own perception of their intelligence.

90% of the folks who play Mechwarrior Online are Dads, and 90% of those Dads are Tactical Dads who babble incessantly about FLANKING and SUPPRESSIVE FIRE and FOX 2 FOX 2 FOX 2

they usually die while trying a brilliant flank 1000m away from their teammates in a Dire Wolf and blame their teammates for it

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

my kinda ape posted:

I don't get it, what is wrong with the JM6-S? Mine is running with 2 AC5++s and an AC 2++ and is the perfect accompaniment for my JMS6-A LRM platform. Everyone gets knocked down and cored in short order.

I'd be pretty happy with a fourth Jagermech, either type. They are like a bigger, meaner Blackjack!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I love punching mechs. Sometimes you get just okay hits, and then sometimes you get this:

:shepface: Just annihilated.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

KPC_Mammon posted:

I don't get it, what is wrong with the JM6-S? Mine is running with 2 AC5++s and an AC 2++ and is the perfect accompaniment for my JMS6-A LRM platform. Everyone gets knocked down and cored in short order.

I'd be pretty happy with a fourth Jagermech, either type. They are like a bigger, meaner Blackjack!

I run mine with triple AC5++s. It does almost as much stability damage as my LRM Jager and I spent the last two missions keeping heavies and assaults on their backs while my Highlander sniped and my Atlas trundled its way to punching them.

logicow
Jun 29, 2012

my kinda ape posted:

Had one as one of my first heavies, did well with AC/20 + 4 lasers when I was still up against lights and mediums.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have to say, as impressive as the massive slabs of firepower and armor are, Assault Mechs feel less fun than a Medium/Heavy/Light mixed lance.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Argas posted:

I rush through my shots and spam the Fire button so I miss red warning letters flashing "You're about to burn yourself up! Idiot"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Mo_Steel posted:

I love punching mechs. Sometimes you get just okay hits, and then sometimes you get this:

:shepface: Just annihilated.

PUNCH DAT METAL BABBY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Argas posted:

I run mine with triple AC5++s. It does almost as much stability damage as my LRM Jager and I spent the last two missions keeping heavies and assaults on their backs while my Highlander sniped and my Atlas trundled its way to punching them.

I'll strip out some armor and give this a try. My JM6-S very rarely gets attacked due to its range so I think it'll be worth giving a shot.

My second JM6-A, armed with SRMs usually takes point and tanks for the team.

At this point I just want a gimmick all Jagermech team.