Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Serf posted:

Now see this is interesting.

It is kinda funny now that neither Gamora nor Nebula ever brings up the idea of infinite plenty to Thanos as an alternative to genocide. It just means that literally every person surrounding Thanos was just as dumb as him.

I guess we know why Gamora was the favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
One more thought:

One of the things I found legit interesting is that from a purely narrative perspective, Thanos is the protagonist of the story. He's the one that goes on the quest, defeating threshold guardians to gain the magic stones, who loses those that he cares most about, and, ultimately, in an act of sacrifice gains his wish and reaches some degree of salvation for his victory. However, cinematically, he is constantly framed as the villain, and how the way the camera frames him, his followers, and their actions (combined with our feelings for the Avengers and friends) the audience does not (or should not) sympathize with him. I mean, his motivation being terrible helps make the audience despise him, but I think that would be accomplished even if his goal was more sympathetic, due simply to the framing of his actions.

So yeah, an uneven movie all in all, but with some interesting stuff going on, definitely a lot more interesting than a lot of Marvel movies.

Edit:
To contrast with Black Panther: Killmonger's goals were far more sympathetic, but the narrative placed him into the role of the villain, as the archetypal Usurper Who Breaks With Tradition. But the cinematography seems unwilling to paint him in as stark of terms, in part due to the bait and switch of Ulysses initially being presented as a larger villain. Killmonger is, therefore, more sympathetic to the audience thanks in large part to the cinematic framing, which paints him as a righteous avenger coming for what is his due, and a more direct mirror of T'challa than Thanos is to Stark.

Meinberg fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 2, 2018

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I liked that Dr Strange actually is his name.

It would be like if peter parkers real name was Simon P. Eidermann.

I think a similar joke was done in his movie as well with Kacellius?

Edit: Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFg5wUvkGI

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Mads Mikkelsen doing a deadpan Who's On First bit with Strange's name is the single most memorable and worthwhile thing about his character in that movie.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serf posted:

Now see this is interesting.

It is kinda funny now that neither Gamora nor Nebula ever brings up the idea of infinite plenty to Thanos as an alternative to genocide. It just means that literally every person surrounding Thanos was just as dumb as him.

It seems pretty well established at this point that space is full of incredible idiots. :v:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CelticPredator posted:

"He could destroy life on a scale hitherto undreamt of."

"Did you seriously say "hitherto undreamt of"?"

"Are you seriously leaning on the Cauldron of the Cosmos?"

*slap*

My favourite was when Stark was talking to Spiderman after meeting Strange (paraphrased):

Spiderman: What are we doing??
Iron Man: Helping a wizard protect his magic jewel

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

It was a fun movie. The story was poo poo but the whole purpose of the story of comic book movies is to deliver awesome visuals imo, which this delivered on. Starks a poo poo character as usual but Benedict Cumberbatch was an amazing Dr. Strange and Thanos was a very punchy villain

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
What was Strange doing when the team was pulling off Thanos's glove? Chilling to the side? That lends credence to the idea that he wanted Quill to attack Thanos.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Caros posted:

The adventures of captain America hunkering down in a cheap motel room for a couple of years aren't that important
Nomad got like 100 issues, of course Cap hunkering down and hiding his identity would be interesting.

Hell, "Captain America, US Vagrant" is basically the Jack Reacher series.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

LinYutang posted:

What was Strange doing when the team was pulling off Thanos's glove? Chilling to the side? That lends credence to the idea that he wanted Quill to attack Thanos.

He was the first one to grab the gauntlet with his magic whips or whatever. Then he opened the portal for Mantis to jump on Thanos' head and...yeah, he just kinda stands to the side after that.

He could have definitely opened up a portal beneath quill

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Also why didn't they just stab him in the head when he was disabled

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

bring back old gbs posted:

My favourite was when Stark was talking to Spiderman after meeting Strange (paraphrased):

Spiderman: What are we doing??
Iron Man: Helping a wizard protect his magic jewel

Not only that, but in fact every piece of dialogue where Tony or Peter used the word wizard

RDJ/Cumberbatch had absolutely insane chemistry and now I just want them to try doing a Sherlock Holmes movie again, keep RDJ and Jude Law, and have Cumberbatch play the Aleister Crowley stand-in you morons

Alternately, I would simply accept a Crowley biopic starring Cumberbatch, but I have a feeling Crowley would curse it from orbit.

El Pipila
Dec 30, 2006
I am invincible; I have a stone on my back!

Pirate Jet posted:

The problem is that things being "brought up" isn't good enough.

Consider, if you will, what I think is the worst joke in the MCU, which is a shame because it's delivered by a man I love very much - Hannibal Burress. He's the gym teacher in Spider-Man Homecoming, and he's about to show the kids a tape of Captain America instructing them on how to do an exercise or something, and before he hits play he says "anyways I guess this guy is like a war criminal now or something? I don't know." This gets significantly worse when you consider that of the movies between Civil War and Infinity War, this is the only acknowledgement of Captain America's newfound status as an enemy of the state. And it's in the purpose of completely handwaving it away so he can make another cameo. Other than that, there is no moment whatsoever from the MCU where they acknowledge that Captain America is a wanted man in between the movie where he becomes one, and the movie where he comes back in circumstances so dire that everyone instantly forgives him for it

Oh man, I really loved that joke.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I like how many heroes in Marvel movies are just dudes with guns.

Bucky Barnes: Dude with a metal arm and a gun.

Falcon: Dude with wings, drones and guns.

War Machine: Dude with a suit of armor and guns.

Black Widow: Girl with electro batons and a gun.

Star Lord: Dude with a jump pack and laser guns.

Rocket: Rabbit dude with a gun.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

aBagorn posted:

He wanted the Tesseract. Loki offered to get it for him. In exchange Loki wanted to take over Earth.

Barry Convex posted:

he also gave Loki the only stone he had for free in order to help him get another, losing both in the process

yeah, that was a retcon, but it sure didn't help him come off as a competent villain

Also Loki was pretty goddamn terrible at using the Mind Stone and kept loving up, failing to control Stark with it and losing control of Hawkeye and Dr Selvig way too easily.
If Thanos had just walked in with it and wielded it properly he could have just made everyone agree with him and give him the tesseract immediately without any further loving around (which also applies to pretty much all the other infinity stones as well) and he probably could have also used it to just make everyone on all those other planets agree with his 50% genocide plan without having to invade them with armies but if he just turned them into mindless slaves he wouldn't get his big "gently caress you, I told you I was right" moment so I can see how his gigantic ego might have stopped him from taking the easy route.
You could argue that the mind stone wasn't powerful to control an entire planet's population since the individual stones sometimes seem to have limited power and range but on the other hand Ronan was going to use one of them to inst-kill an entire planet of people so I guess it varies.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

AndyElusive posted:

I like how many heroes in Marvel movies are just dudes with guns.

Bucky Barnes: Dude with a metal arm and a gun.

Falcon: Dude with wings, drones and guns.

War Machine: Dude with a suit of armor and guns.

Black Widow: Girl with electro batons and a gun.

Star Lord: Dude with a jump pack and laser guns.

When they killed Ego did Peter lose all his God powers? Is he meant to still be superhuman or is he just a dude with sweet tech?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm going to say this one more time, but asking "why didn't the characters just do X" when the answer is "because emotions, you loving idiot" is an impulse I saw in film school a lot, and it was always from the insecure rear end in a top hat who needed to act like he was smarter than any filmmaker because he had clearly put more thought into it than the filmmakers did.

No. You're just CinemaSins. And your analysis is base and you shouldn't watch movies because you will enjoy literally none of them because you're too busy being insecure and "proving" how much you know to everybody.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

cohsae posted:

When they killed Ego did Peter lose all his God powers?

Yes, Ego specifically told him that in GotG2.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

El Pipila posted:

It's a great joke. I like it even more now that it pissed off that guy so much

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AndyElusive posted:

I feel like Rocket's power isn't in the gun he is wielding, but in the fact that he is completely unhinged and literally willing to die at any moment as long as he goes out like a badass. He's like a mirror version of Longshot, who never gives a gently caress for the exact opposite reason - his power, as long as it's functioning, ensures he's always okay.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McSpanky posted:

Yes, Ego specifically told him that in GotG2.
That whole plot never made sense to me, since all the power was coming from Ego. It's not like the Celestial Children could make more power, they just tapped into it. So why Ego needed a scion was just kind of pointless.
And that bullshit about inheriting that planet had to be a lie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LeJackal posted:

I really like that Dr. Strange has leaned in hard on being overly theatrical and wizard-y.

It would be my hope against hope that somehow Doc Hammer and Chris McCulloch got involved in the MCU just so it would be this giant magnifying reflecting mirror of Venture Bros. jokes, now being used on the own source of their inspiration.

Also, whenever the Fantastic Four get introduced, have Reed on Stephen Colbert for add metahiliarity.

edit: remember names from memory after not hearing them for years, I'm bound to get something wrong.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 2, 2018

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LividLiquid posted:

I'm going to say this one more time, but asking "why didn't the characters just do X" when the answer is "because emotions, you loving idiot" is an impulse I saw in film school a lot, and it was always from the insecure rear end in a top hat who needed to act like he was smarter than any filmmaker because he had clearly put more thought into it than the filmmakers did.

No. You're just CinemaSins. And your analysis is base and you shouldn't watch movies because you will enjoy literally none of them because you're too busy being insecure and "proving" how much you know to everybody.

Who are you even talking to?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Young Freud posted:

It would be my hope against hope that somehow Justin Hammer and Chris McCullough got involved in the MCU just so it would be this giant magnifying reflecting mirror of Venture Bros. jokes, now being used on the own source of their inspiration.

I mean, if Taika Waititti can direct an MCU film, surely they're not too far underground.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Young Freud posted:

It would be my hope against hope that somehow Justin Hammer and Chris McCullough got involved in the MCU just so it would be this giant magnifying reflecting mirror of Venture Bros. jokes, now being used on the own source of their inspiration.

Also, whenever the Fantastic Four get introduced, have Reed on Stephen Colbert for add metahiliarity.

Doc Hammer, you mean. Justin Hammer is already part of the MCU.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

precision posted:

I mean, if Taika Waititti can direct an MCU film, surely they're not too far underground.

I was just watching the extras on the Thor: Ragnarok Blu-Ray and every moment of Waititi directing while wearing the motion-cap gear is pure gold.

Also Goldblum is 100% pure Goldblum. Would the Infinity stones even work on the Grandmaster? I suspect not, as he is larger than life.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jet Jaguar posted:

I was just watching the extras on the Thor: Ragnarok Blu-Ray and every moment of Waititi directing while wearing the motion-cap gear is pure gold.

Also Goldblum is 100% pure Goldblum. Would the Infinity stones even work on the Grandmaster? I suspect not, as he is larger than life.

He contradicted me. That's not a melting offence! Why did you give me the melting stick?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

precision posted:

I feel like Rocket's power isn't in the gun he is wielding, but in the fact that he is completely unhinged and literally willing to die at any moment as long as he goes out like a badass. He's like a mirror version of Longshot, who never gives a gently caress for the exact opposite reason - his power, as long as it's functioning, ensures he's always okay.

He also seems to be a genius capable of MacGuyvering space guns together at any moment, but that also helps.

I hope he picks up Bucky's gun.

And as I said, should be interesting that Rocket is now the last of the GotG, besides maybe Nebula. Just as well he gets along surprisingly well with Thor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Talking of Bucky, the entire theater was a chorus of "who is that guy" every time he was on screen.

Nobody seemed to recognize Cap at first either. I didn't either at first and thought "Well I know that's not Hawkeye... is it??" lmao.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Who are you even talking to?
People who get so stuck on superpowers not being applied in ways they would've applied them in very emotional moments with very little time to think and telling the thread, over and over again, and being smug about it.

Like, yeah, technically Doctor Strange could've portaled Thanos' arm off, but in a film that balanced the superpowers, motivations, and current emotions of like thirty-seven named characters into a near three-hour exercise, letting that ruin the movie for you just means you're watching movies the wrong way, and showing up here to crow about it doesn't mean you're a super genius for noticing one thing.

It's the xylophone guy from the simpsons. Or, as I said, CinemaSins.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Nice meltdown

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Two quick general MCU questions:

Were the Zerg things the same race as the Venom suit? They looked extremely similar. Is that why there's going to be a Venom movie?

Are all the MCU movies until Avengers 4 going to take place in a universe where half the people are gone?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

precision posted:

Two quick general MCU questions:

Were the Zerg things the same race as the Venom suit? They looked extremely similar. Is that why there's going to be a Venom movie?

Nah, Venom is intelligent and has stretchy tendril powers, these were just mindless chompy animals.

precision posted:

Are all the MCU movies until Avengers 4 going to take place in a universe where half the people are gone?

Nope, they'll be set before Avengers: Infinity War.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nope, they'll be set before Avengers: Infinity War.

Oh holy poo poo, that's even more bold than this movie itself was.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LividLiquid posted:

Your approach to emotion is weirdly apsychological, based on the pretence of hidden depths. So Thanos kills a bajillion people because he’s just so sad because of grief and you just wouldn’t understand. It’s that weird Star Trek false dichotomy.

Sadness is not a good explanation for why Thanos teams with the ‘rape-torturing people with shards of glass’ dude.

The truth is that both Thanos’s stupid plan and his feels are a flimsy excuse for his true goal of abusing people in the hopes of ‘toughening them up’, dividing the world between passive children who stay in their place and tough grownups willing to ‘make the hard choices’.

The plan itself is nonsense except that he can force people to accept this nonsense as proof of their submission to him. Basic cult stuff.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 15, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Maybe it was just me but it sounded like he was doing a really bad forced deep voice. Obviously just a dumb nitpick but it was honestly a bit distracting, for a second I thought it was going to be an extension of the Thor / Starlord joke, like he was trying to sound intimidating or something.

His voice was digitally altered

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

It sounded like his GoT voice but an octave lower.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
My problem with Thanos' plan is more a dramatic complaint rather than a moral or logical one.

At the start of the film, his plan is to gather all the stones and kill 50% of all life. People describe this plan and Thanos himself as mad.

...and that's it. No more drama. Thanos explains why he thinks his madness is cool, but who gives a poo poo? There's no drama in "look at this nutter!". You have to gradually reveal the depths of his insanity, or really ramp up the horror the audience feels at the acts he commits in the name of the greater good, or make you doubt whether Thanos actually is wrong, but everything in this is so sterile, there's no impact, no drama.

One option is to do it the way Frailty did it, where there is a crazy "God has given us visions of demons and we must kill them!" dude played by Bill Paxton who recruits his kids to help him murder people, story told by Matt McConaughey as one of the kids as an adult. But it doesn't just stop at them being mad, the ending Reveals that Paxton wasn't just insane. The people murdered really were terrible killers and child molesters, god was sending messages. The Lord even distorts security footage to protect his little helpers. The true horror is that there is a bloodthirsty deity out there who wants violent retribution after all. The madman was right.

That is genuinely disturbing, but there is no way to make Thanos seem reasonable in this. His plan is poo poo and laughable, no subversion. So it's just, can our heroes stop the madman? Who gives a poo poo? The Joker could be just described as crazy in The Dark Knight, but psycho as he was, they gave him an understandable ideology that Batman had to fight, not just a physical obstacle. Thanos doesn't really challenge anyones beliefs, he is just a glorified punchman.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

El Pipila posted:

it's a funny joke but definitely one of the more egregious examples of the franchise not having much in the way of connective tissue. people rightly level that criticism at age of ultron but it persists throughout the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why would he need to challenge someone’s belief if they might die regardless?